Thread: Buffy Art Dept reunion panel at Comic Con last year

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 719 Posts

Default Buffy Art Dept reunion panel at Comic Con last year

Thought you might find this interesting. Mainly because the art dept gets badly overlooked when it comes to Buffy....

https://vimeo.com/227989797

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Stoney (10-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,220 Times in 4,208 Posts

I haven't had time to listen to all of this yet, but it is great to listen to something like this that makes you think about some of the background production work, all that goes into it. It's just something a bit different as you say.

Very amused to hear one of the panel (David Koneff I think it was) refer to Dawn jumping off the big tower they made, does anyone remember that(!), not sure which season it was and then commenting that the audience were geeks (or freaks or some such light hearted comment) for telling him it was S5. It just shows how removed he was/is from the story to get details like that wrong and be surprised in any way that fans would know which season a finale set was from, if he actually was surprised. Interesting to hear what a formative experience it was for them all though and how the working relationships (and sets!) developed. Very amused to hear Carey Meyer say that Joss just laughed at Acathla when he saw it as that statue does look especially naff.

Slayer
    Thanks

I always love hearing folks like this talk as you can gleam so much about how a production functions but of course they're not going to be as 'close' to the show as fans. It was just one job of many to them.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,220 Times in 4,208 Posts

Of course and it is what made it interesting to listen to and get a very different level of involvement and pov. I just finished it and was really surprised by the budgets as they talked about them as if they were small and it seemed huuuge to me. Very amused that David Koneff took the chair from the bronze and denied he had it!

Slayer
    Thanks

Oh I always knew in American terms the budget was small (but they did good imo) , but large compared to UK shows of course.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Stoney (10-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,027 Times in 2,434 Posts

How great that all these designers were so relatively new to tv at the time, and just made-do and mend their way through the show. There was so much trust between Joss and the art department and they worked so well together and seemed to enjoy it so much.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (14-01-18),Stoney (14-01-18)