Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Positives and Negatives - S1

Thanks
    Thanked 7,256 Times in 2,983 Posts

Day 7 - Angel

Positive - I like this episode overall but strangely it is far easier to come up with some individual negatives than positives if I'm honest, so I'm going to go with my overall positive feeling on it, which is the representation of teenage romance which I think early seasons Bangel is very true to. The intensity of it all is overblown as your hormones are on overdrive and you don't see lust/attraction for what it is but feel sure depth/love can be there instantly. Then there's the whole lack of subtlety in flirting coupled with a sense of uncertainty around each other. Sneaking around your parents and thinking you're fooling them. Yes I know Angel is 240ish but as he is struggling to work out how to help, how to integrate with the humans I find considering him as being more immature and unsure of himself at times in early S1 believable. This episode reveals Angel as a vampire and rather than being a barrier this apparent hurdle just ratchets up the tension as sense/logic don't rule you when you're young. Particularly when it comes to romance.

Negative - It is idiotic that The Master has The Three as these super warriors you only crank out on special occasions, but then dusts them so readily.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-01-18)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Angel

Positive: Darla, in a schoolgirl outfit, dual wielding pistols. Strobe lights, glass breaking, Lara Croft John Woo type shit. I love that scene!

Negative: Angel's a manipulative dick for kissing Buffy before revealing his true nature.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-01-18)

Thanks

Day 7 - Angel

Postive: The big reveal that Angel is a vampire. I can't remember my reactions after so long, but I still buy Buffy's absolute shock

Negative: Joyce still does not have a clue what's going on and believes she was stabbed with a toasting fork, which they do not own. Joyce is just dumb
    Never much cared for picket fences anyway. Bloody dangerous.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (15-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,539 Posts

Day 7 - Angel

POSITIVE: I do like Darla going guns akimbo to take out Buffy. It's not only further genre subversion of the horror devices, and a multi-layered one at that (i.e. if Buffy is the "monster" to Darla's vampiric "final girl", since the Slayer is their dracula, she is also subverting the trope of just always running away or never attempting sufficient daka on the monster), but I also come away with the impression that this has sort of been the play she has had in mind for... probably decades? Like, this has possibly been Darla's line of thinking if she ever crossed the Slayer, how she'd deal with it.

NEGATIVE: My long running rant is that giving Angel a soul and it's whole precondition is stupid and they should have just set up front that he is attempting to be "reformed", so gonna throw this curveball -- that Angel is a vampire at all is the negative. They hadn't locked themselves in via presentation to the audience yet, this wasn't something that was proven to the viewer and only Buffy was finding out. How about he was just someone, like he said, that they "really don't like"? Darla's former thrall/familiar or something, escaped off the plantation as it were, and trying to help? Some of those ideas were certainly available; the most widely popular vampire fiction of the time of the mid-late 90s other than "Buffy" was "Blade", after all. Could have even made him a straight up blade expy, a dhampir or such. Plus that thrall thing makes me think amusingly how neat it would be to have this male romantic lead come to the heroine with a lot of submissive subtext.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

Day 7 - Angel

Positive - I loved the scene where it's revealed that Angel is a vampire. It's a twist that I feel most viewers didn't see coming. (Sadly, I didn't watch the show from the beginning and when I did watch S1, I already knew that Angel was a vampire.) Xander's weird dance at the Bronze and stepping on Cordelia's shoes. Joyce meeting Giles for the first time.

Negative - I didn't like Darla. At all. Also, I still don't get what someone Angel's age sees in Buffy. Teenagers? Really? Why? Even if she's the Slayer, she's still too... young and immature. Look at her hair and chubby cheeks. She has a DIARY, Angel!!!
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Yesterday),Priceless (Yesterday)

Thanks

Day 8 -I Robot, You Jane

Positives: My favourite part of this episode is Moloch writing Dave's suicide note on the computer and the camera finds mad Fitz (is that his name?) standing in a darkened corner. It was so creepy. Buffy later finds Dave's body swinging from the ceiling of the computer lab. Murdered by his school friend, who'd been groomed by a psychopath on the internet. It was just so bleak.

Negatives: This episode ages the show terribly. It's just laughably out of date, and although the theme of 'monsters live on the internet' is probably more true today than ever, this episode does nothing to raise out awareness of such dangers because we are too busy laughing at it.
    Never much cared for picket fences anyway. Bloody dangerous.

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

I Robot, You Jane

Positives: Willow whacking the cyberdemon with a fire extinguisher! Pure badassery, fierce, best girl, 10/10, so satisfying.

Negative: I feel like Buffy's too much of a mom to Willow in this episode. I get that she's the concerned friend in what basically is an after-school special, but I don't know, I think that it pushes her too far into uncool territory.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,256 Times in 2,983 Posts

Ooops I nearly missed this one....

Day 8 - I Robot, You Jane

Positive - How it adds to the theme of concealed identities and hidden truths in the season. Not just in terms of Moloch but in the way that the potential freedom the medium also gives for Willow too. I don't mean this in a negative way, it is just the communication tool allows for it. She can present herself with a sense of ease she possibly struggles to feel in face-to-face interactions, perhaps be more as she wishes she could be everyday, push aside things she normally wouldn't do readily, be less affected by insecurities of self-image.

Negative - I think the way that Jenny keeps making her point to Giles about being resistant to progression is too repetitious to not be leaning into being a little bit mean.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Today)