Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Positives and Negatives - S1

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Out of Mind, Out of Sight

Positive: Willow wearing a Scooby Doo T-shirt! What, I love meta-shit like that!

Negative: Why did Giles lie about Angel saving them? It seems like such a weird and completely pointless thing to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,300 Posts

Out of Mind Out of Sight

Positive: Another great episode, so much good stuff to choose from. I loved Cordelia, this episode gives her a depth we've not seen before. I also love her friendship with Harmony and this episode made me sad in a way because we know they both die, and here they are so young and full of life. At least Harmony still exists

Negative: Hard to come up with a negative. Giles and Angel flirting in the library is a bit odd, but Giles is allowed to have a crush and Angel's a good looking guy. But I think the real negative is the ending. It would have been nice to 'see' Marcie again, and find out what she learnt at spy school

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 587 Posts

Out of Mind Out of Sight

Positive: An insight into Cordelia's character was great to see, especially when Buffy a former popular girl could see herself in her. However, I doubt that Buffy used to be a bully, and I also don't think that Cordelia's confession excuses how she bullies others. Marcie was a very interesting character and it's such a waste that we never got to see her again. I would have liked if she had been taken to the Initiative and saved by the gang in S4.

Negative: I agree with a thing of evil about Giles lying about Angel saving them. Did Giles feel that Buffy and Angel shouldn't be together? Even though he thought it was romantic? It kinda went nowhere. I would think Giles objecting to the relationship would have made a lot of sense.

I also thought the Xander/Willow having a history together and indirectly excluding Buffy was too much on the nose.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-01-18),TimeTravellingBunny (22-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,300 Posts

Prophecy Girl

Positive: My favourite scene in the episode is the gang marching to the school, Buffy in her torn white dress, the music playing. It just looks and feels so strong, like Buffy has tapped into all that Slayer power, she's in charge and those vamps are dust

Negative: Xander. The way he handles Buffy's rejection is just horrible. He's incredibly self-pitying, and so wrapped up in himself he's no idea how he's using/hurting Willow. I also feel the show is saying 'look how great Xander is, Buffy's rejected him but he's still man enough to want to help her', because what's the alternative, sulk in your bedroom while your friend faces certain death because she's hurt your feelings.
    Last edited by Priceless; 20-01-18 at 09:32 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

myth-taken (20-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 587 Posts

Prophecy Girl

Positive: So much to love about this episode. Buffy's iconic white dress and black leather jacket. Cordelia's badassness with her car. Giles "I made mine first" and his retort to Xander about his jaw "I did not let her go." The whole scene with Buffy overhearing that she's gonna die and her reaction was amazing.

Unlike @Priceless, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Xander in this episode. Perhaps not his scenes with Willow, but right after he learned that Buffy was in danger. I love that he was very upset with Giles about "letting her go", I love that he went to Angel of all people to ask him to take him to the Master, I love that his answer to Angel's condescending taunts was to shove a cross in his face and how he urged Angel to move his ass by reminding him that he loves Buffy. I also love that it was Xander who saved Buffy's life.

One more thing, I love that while Xander was far more heroic than Angel in this episode - and dare I say showed that he loved Buffy more with his actions, Buffy still wanted Angel. Love knows no logic. Angel represents death while Xander represents life. Xander would have been a better choice for Buffy, but she doesn't love him, she loves Angel.

Negative: Angel. I'm sorry, Xander may not have handled Buffy's rejection well, but the second he was told she was gonna die, he rushed to save her. Angel, on the other hand, prefered sitting in his apartment than risk his life for the girl he claims to love. And what annoys me was his ridiculing tone when Xander mentioned going to the Master's place to save Buffy.

I also wasn't hot on how Xander treated Willow this episode. Practicing asking Buffy to the dance on Willow and then daring to ask Willow to the dance when Buffy said no to him. Good thing Willow had more sense than to accept.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Andrew S. (20-01-18)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

"Angel"

Positive: Buffy and Angel's kiss goodbye. It's a really cute scene. When the camera pans down to the cross wound in Angel's chest, I go "aww" every time.

Negative: Boreanaz's acting. It’s very hard for me to understand Angel’s character because his actor does such a lousy job at conveying anything. His line to Buffy during their fight in The Bronze, for instance: “Why not? I killed [my family]. I killed their friends, and their friends’ children. For a hundred years, I offered an ugly death to everyone I met. And I did it with a song in my heart.”

It’s so badly delivered. I can’t tell if Angel’s supposed to be bragging about his evil in order to goad Buffy on, or if he’s supposed to be talking about it with remorse and self-loathing. Based on the writing and Angel’s actions, I think he’s supposed to be feeling shame in his interactions with Buffy. But all David Boreanaz can manage to play is cocky arrogance, and it makes it really hard for me to connect with or like Angel’s character as a result.

"I, Robot...You, Jane"

Positive: I have to steal from a thing of evil on this one. Willow beating Moloch with the fire extinguisher was so badass. "Malcolm! Remember me, your girlfriend?! Well, I think it's time we broke up! Maybe we can still be friends!"

Negative: "I'm jacked in... I'm jacked in..."

"The Puppet Show"

Positive: The entire teaser scene, and the ending.

Negative: The special effects involving Sid are really... uh, wooden.

"Nightmares"

Positive: Buffy's nightmare sequences, which are all really effective. Except for the vampire-Buffy one, which just feels like a missed opportunity.

Negative: While I enjoyed Willow and Xander's nightmares, they lack depth and don't really tell us anything new or interesting about their characters. We already know Willow has stage fright. Xander's public nudity and clown fear, while funny, doesn't really make his character anymore interesting, which is a shame because I found Buffy's and Giles's nightmares to be really effective in that regard.

"Out of Mind, Out of Sight"

Positive: Clea Duvall's performance. Marcie is one of the most memorable Monster-of-the-Week villains, despite the fact that we only see her in two scenes and the majority of her lines are voice-overs. This couldn't have been an easy performance to give, but she still killed it. "I'm gonna give you a face that no one will ever forget", "People are gonna remember you for the rest of their lives, children are gonna dream about you" -- her menacing line delivery, plus the horrified look on Cordelia's face, really makes that scene effective for me. I love the calmness and calculation in all of Marcie's lines and actions, letting you know that she's really thought this shit through and that she is, indeed, a thundering loony.

Negative: The weird men in black guys.

"Prophecy Girl"

Positive: The episode brings a cohesive feel to the season by bringing all of the plot and character dynamics to their peak here and showing how much everyone has changed in their interactions with one another. All season long, we've seen Willow struggling with her crush on Xander, and in this episode, she rejects him after he turns to her as a second option. We've also seen Xander trying to get up the courage to ask Buffy out all season, and here, he finally does it. His reaction when she said no was bad, yeah, but props to him for even asking her. When you're a teenage boy with low self-esteem, asking out a girl you really like is NOT easy. All season, we've seen Buffy and Giles clash because she resents her duty and he's constantly on her ass about it. But here, it's the opposite. Compare the scenes with Buffy and Giles in "Welcome to the Hellmouth" to the scene in this episode where Giles tries to face The Master himself only for Buffy to knock him out. Compare Willow pretending to help Cordelia with her computer project, only to trick her into deleting it after Cordelia insults her to this episode, where we see Willow helping her out after Cordelia is genuinely nice to her. Nearly all season long, Cordelia has been the heartless bitch who makes fun of the Scoobies when they're not saving her ass. Here in "Prophecy Girl", we see her genuine grief for her dead boyfriend, along with her progressing friendship with the Scoobies, whom she saves toward the end by giving Willow and Jenny a ride into the library. Angel also finally gets off his ass and helps Buffy fight The Master and his vampires, in contrast to his being afraid to do so (in his own words) at the beginning of the season. Character development from everyone, and it all feels completely earned.

Negative: Bad special effects, I guess? I really got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless
    Positive: My favourite scene in the episode is the gang marching to the school, Buffy in her torn white dress, the music playing. It just looks and feels so strong, like Buffy has tapped into all that Slayer power, she's in charge and those vamps are dust
    I love that moment, too. The fact that the show's theme song is playing in the background (for the only time within an actual episode), I think, is the show telling you that THIS is Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, in all her badass glory, having fully committed to her destiny and ready to kick some demon ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless
    Negative: Xander. The way he handles Buffy's rejection is just horrible. He's incredibly self-pitying, and so wrapped up in himself he's no idea how he's using/hurting Willow. I also feel the show is saying 'look how great Xander is, Buffy's rejected him but he's still man enough to want to help her', because what's the alternative, sulk in your bedroom while your friend faces certain death because she's hurt your feelings.
    I actually LOVE Xander in this episode. "Prophecy Girl" might be his best showing in the whole series because it encapsulates everything I love about his character. There's so much complexity in Xander's character, all without the aid of supernatural plot devices (such as vampirism or super-strength or magic powers). It's what makes him the most realistic character in the series, in my opinion. I love how he can be a total jerk to Buffy (or Willow) in one scene but then the best friend she could ever have in the next, and that's on display in this episode. He gets so wrapped up in his own insecurities and it causes him to lash out at people he cares about, but when the chips are really down, he's the first one to come through to help them. He's just enormously complex, like all humans are.

And I don't think the show was trying to make him look good by having him save Buffy's life even after she rejected him. We don't see Buffy or anyone praising him for saving her in this episode. And he DID get his comeuppance for lashing out at Buffy in the scene where Willow rejects him. And he gets even more comeuppance for it in "When She Was Bad". I don't think the fact that Xander asks Buffy to dance with him in this episode, and then she does the sexy dance of torture (as I like to call it) with him in the next episode is a coincidence.
    Last edited by Andrew S.; 20-01-18 at 06:56 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew S. For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (22-01-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Prophecy Girl

Positive: This episode is flawless so it's incredibly hard to pick just one, not completely obvious thing. I love Cordy driving her car into library! BTVS was never a big budget show, even more so in the first season and they still managed to deliver a kick ass action movie scene in the finale!

Negative: I'm not happy with Giles' and Angel's prophecy obsession. So some long dead jackasses wrote something. So what?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,750 Times in 3,640 Posts

Day 12 - Prophecy Girl

Positive - Has to be Buffy's upset on hearing about the prophecy, SMG nails it so perfectly it's one of the most emotionally hard hitting points in the whole series.

Negative - Angel's claim he can't give mouth to mouth is a nonsense. He can talk, he can draw breath in/out, even if he doesn't need to have the oxygen himself he could have performed cpr.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a thread for S2.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (21-01-18)