Thread: Buffylover: Step by steps

Thanks

Default Buffylover: Step by steps

I was thinking about doing this for a while now creating my own specific tutorials? a step by step tut on one of my pieces to try and talk about my progression? How I find inspiration and so forth.

I know it's dead on this side but, I would be doing this for our BF Tumblr. I think this is what I needed to go somewhere where I can feel at home and help others. So I'm going to focus on this!

My first piece I would break down would be this {Lone Wolf}.

Stay tuned.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Priceless (09-01-18),Silver1 (09-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,824 Times in 1,918 Posts

I would love to see your tutorial. I've just got into art and am using Gimp. My art is awful, I don't know what I'm doing, so any help, technical or creative, would be gladly received.
    Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (09-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I would love to see your tutorial. I've just got into art and am using Gimp. My art is awful, I don't know what I'm doing, so any help, technical or creative, would be gladly received.
    Thank you so much and I hope It does help you in any way possible. Everyone is welcome!

I'm starting it now my first steps on how I created that Tumblr set.

Please don't bring yourself down.

Thanks

It's on my Tumblr {here}

Firstly, I would like to talk about my style and why I much prefer the Tumblr style. The reasons I prefer doing Tumblr graphics, it's because, in my opinion, there are easy and truly minimalistic, you don't need to worry about the DPI, and the professionalism of working big making the imagery really beneficial towards the scale. I would add also that Tumblr is truly simple in some way a collage style. If you notice about the art around Tumblr it's one focal point blended with unique textures making it stand out and original. You can also notice there are different kind of styles around Tumblr which includes picspams, gifs, editorials and collages. So basically look at Tumblr truly help oneself because you can find amazing inspirations inspiring your creativity and make your idea go forward. This is where I write the first step.

Inspirations.

Finding inspiration really helps me a lot truly rewarding, and yes sometimes I do try and put down my jealousy and self-esteem down because I learned that art is not about competition it's about getting inspired. Studies one art truly helps you grow because it expands your idea, even more, making that idea and to transform it to your own originality is really fun to do. Let's talk about my first journey on how I created this piece. {here}.

When I look for inspiration I look for scale, type, colour, compositions of imagery and the style. I had no clue on what I was doing, what size it should be, should this piece be alone but, then I found these three inspirations that helped me on what scale I should execute my graphics on. {here}, {here} and {here}.

If you can see I got inspired by the scale so I saved the imagery to find out what size and it's (500px x 300px) a simple banner size, so this is when I decided to do a set (more than one) because I also just love the narration on the imagery bounce so well together it tells the story much better IMO. And also that 3rd inspiration this is when I knew which colouring I wanted to achieve.

The Idea.

My idea came from this challenge that I hosted (20th-anniversary challenge) and I notice that it came really deserted, but I finished all my memes, but I hadn't had the chance to create something based on season 6 which it is my favourite season of Buffy so it's a meme I did it to myself. "Favourite season!". I wanted to capture a dark theme within the horror style like a pop art collage. So I wanted to capture the beginning of season 6 so now it's time to get the screencaps and stock imagery by taking on the inspiration. I wanted to capture Buffy alone because of her feeling within her depression, for example, she dug herself from her grave so I wanted to capture that she has entered hell and I wanted to capture a stock image that represents that descriptive metaphor of hell maybe walking in a forest? alone? within that red colouring which I got inspired by the graphics that I got inspired by. So now.

Step One.

Step one is starting up your canvas. (File >> New >> Default Photoshop size >> Width "500 Pixels" Height "300 Pixels").

Now, I need to look for some stock image to contracts well within my theme and style. You can find some amazing stock through google images, Flickr, Tumblr, etc and a favourite of mine {here}. Getting the stock is so much easier if you have an idea what you are looking for, when I search for stock I look for "Composition, Unique prospective and pattern". I found this stock which connects to my dark theme amazingly.

Now click on the move tool {} and drag it on to your original canvas.

The image is placed as my background but, it doesn't fit the whole canvas so I experimented the scale of the image to try and fit my desire compositions. By simply pressing (CTRL T).

Click on one of the four main corners. Make sure you (HOLD) down the (SHIFT) key on your keyboard when reducing the size so it won't lose that quilty outstretched in some ways. I love this because it holds the images together when reducing and expanding.

Just moving the image around then I found this to be perfect for my idea.

Step Two.

Now I need to get some screencaps from "Bargaining" because I thought her outfit was just right to capture my feel and atmosphere within my graphics. We all know that the Buffy screencaps are just down in quality so I got the images from this wonderful site, IMO the best screencaps to capture season 6 the negative about this site is that it doesn't have all the episode which is truly a shame. {here}.

I love this image because it already showcases a hellish feel but, I wanted to capture my own feelings towards Buffy emotions. Also, I love how Buffy is dressed within this episode you can feel she is lost.

Now using the (Pen Tool: ) I worked on the original image I would place the finale outcome onto my original canvas when I'm done because I need to select Buffy out of the background.

I Zoomed into the image now I will show you my progress on the Pen tool.

By pressing down the (SPACEBAR) you can move the image around.

When using the pen tool it's a must that you don't keep clicking your mouse on each step of the shape you are trying to cut out. For example, you need to widen your pen tool make little steps for example.

Step one you click on the mouse to start your anchor point, then step two click to follow the shape of the outline of the object but, remember to take (steps) then hold that click so you can be able to curve and move the trail to follow the shape. Then step three you simply hold down (ALT) on the keyboard to move the anchor to continue the outline. Then just repeat until it's all done.

And when you are finished you simply LEFT click on your mouse then make the selection. A zebra pattern outline is selected around the object. Then just simply press (CTRL J) on your keyboard it selects out your image onto a new layer.

Now it's time to drag it over to the original canvas.

Step Three.

You can see that the image didn't fit on to my scale (500px x 300px) so I (CTRL T) So I scaled it down to my prefered execution. Remember HOLD DOWN THE (SHIFT KEY) so it doesn't lose that quietly so it sticks. I wanted the image to come across that she is walking through the stock image like a manipulation. So I place the Buffy cut out at the bottom middle where the trees have an opening.

I centred the Buffy image by holding the CTRL key to click on that Buffy layer then click the background layer.

Then to the top menu and click this symbol. ()

I took a look back at my progress to see if the composition fits my idea. It turned out to be fantastic that's the kind of thing I wanted something horrific because I felt that Buffy just wanders off in her own world within season 6 trying to find herself.

It's time for the colouring because I find the Buffy cut out to be truly dark. And I wanted to capture that colouring which I got inspired by.

Step Four.

Now it's time for the colouring I will show you how I did it.

You see that little symbol at the bottom there are options to focus on your colour. I selected out the prefered options that I find useful to experiment with the colour.

First, the background was a bit light for my liking so I wanted to focus on that layer by separating the Buffy image layer by simply pressing (CTRL + ALT G) on the background image. It clips on to the layer. When I use the "Brightness and contrast" I just experimented by going slow on each option just basically just experiment, but remember to try not go OTT just simply experiment both options. I got the colouring I wanted now you notice that Buffy is dark so its time to use the same method.

By using the same method and experiment with the tool like selective colour, brightness and contrast and by clipping masking on the layer.

I'm nearly done with this. I always wanted to showcase simplistic a collage style I hope I'm capturing my narration.

Now using a gradient map because I want a strong colour of the background. Remember I was keeping with the idea of that inspiration.

I normally experiment with the blending modes for example "Lighten, Multiply and Soft Light" but, for some reason on normal mode made sense on my composition. And I clipped the gradient map on the background by (CTRL + ALT + G)

Now I think I'm done now it's the effects.

(CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + E) To merge all the layers into one by keeping the original intact.

The effects that I normally use are (grain, shapen edges, unsharpen mask), but for this, I use my newfound effect by going (FILTER + NOISE + REDUCE NOISE). I wanted this piece to have a smoke feel a clean vibe.

Remember I just experimented because it comes down to personal feel. But, my only tip would say try not go OTT on the effects.

When I'm finished I always place the opacity down just to make sure it doesn't come across to strong within the effects, by placing the opacity down a little and now it does feel natural. Done!

End of (Part 1),

Finale piece. {here}

This is my first time that I ever did this so I hope it truly makes sense.
    Last edited by buffylover; 15-01-18 at 01:10 PM.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (12-01-18),Nina (12-01-18),Priceless (12-01-18),Silver1 (13-01-18),Smth_Blue (15-01-18),Stoney (13-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,010 Times in 990 Posts

I love it, thanks for making it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (13-01-18)

Thanks

That was fantastic buffylover, thank you so much. How you explained cutting Buffy out of the original screenshot was really helpful, as I've only tried it a few times and did it the exact wrong way you showed I've saved that screenshot site to my favourites too so thanks for that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (13-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    I love it, thanks for making it.
    I hope it makes sense it was my first time! my grammar is not the best.

That was fantastic buffylover, thank you so much. How you explained cutting Buffy out of the original screenshot was really helpful, as I've only tried it a few times and did it the exact wrong way you showed I've saved that screenshot site to my favourites too so thanks for that.
    Thank you Priceless this was just end of part one! I hope you find it useful in your art journey.

Again I hope it makes sense I noticed that there were spelling mistakes. I meant to say "quality" not "quietly" and whats "shapen edges?" it's "sharpen edges".

Part 2 coming soon.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-01-18)

Thanks

Thank you Priceless this was just end of part one! I hope you find it useful in your art journey.

Again I hope it makes sense I noticed that there were spelling mistakes. I meant to say "quality" not "quietly" and whats "shapen edges?" it's "sharpen edges".

Part 2 coming soon
    it made loads of sense and was really helpful. And don't worry about the spelling, honestly I didn't even notice. Looking forrward to Part 2!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (13-01-18)

Thanks

Now for part 2 (part 1).

Tumblr post. {here}.

I'm doing a step by step on how I created this. {here}.

Now for the second banner from the set.

Inspirations.

Right from the first step by step, I talk about getting inspiration to start of your creations. Again I will talk about on this part but, only briefly I'm sure people get the main idea. Getting inspiration, in my opinion, is a huge factor. So I start looking at my normal places mainly Tumblr of course to find visual inspiration then I found these.

{here}, {here} and {here}.

What I love about these inspirations is the repeated pattern, if you see it's a unique repetition and compositions within the layout. So this comes to the idea of the second banner. I also like the textures on them there are really blended well to express emotions within one creativity. Here comes the colour I'm doing a rewatch on Buffy and I noticed the Sunnydale jumper is "red and yellow" so I clicked within my arty brain that yellow would go so nicely with the red colouring on part 1. And circles would be a great representation of the cut out vocal point.

Idea.

The idea came from my inspiration I want a main strong vocal point repeated on the canvas linked within a circle shape again still using (500px x 300px) trying to compliment on my design and with part one with the layout and colour.

Step one.

I started my canvas like in part one. (File >> New >> Default Photoshop size >> Width "500 Pixels" Height "300 Pixels").

I used the 'Bucket Tool' and by clicking the two colour pallets it will give you the ‘eyedropper tool’ so I picked out my colour from one of the screencaps with the Sunnydale jumper. And picked out this colour; #f49420.

Now for the image, I used this! when I look for imagery I try to get something that showcases depth and compositions of emotions. So I loved this image. It shows movement.

I thought it would be better to explain the “Pen Tool” by screen record my progression. “Step one you click on the mouse to start your anchor point, then step two click to follow the shape of the outline of the object but, remember to take (steps) then hold that click so you can be able to curve and move the trail to follow the shape. Then step three you simply hold down (ALT) on the keyboard to move the anchor to continue the outline take steps. Then just repeat until it’s all done. And when you are finished you simply LEFT click on your mouse then make the selection. A zebra pattern outline is selected around the object. Then just simply press (CTRL J) on your keyboard it selects out your image onto a new layer.”

Now for placing the Buffy image onto the original canvas. I used the move tool and dragged the layer on to the specific canvas “500px x 300px”.

If you notice the image was too big for the specific canvas. So I (CTRL + T). and if you notice I didn’t hold the (SHIFT KEY) so the image was outstretched. (CTRL + Z) to return back.

And this shows you if you press the (SHIFT KEY) the image will stick downscale and upscale.

Now for me to do the circle pattern remember getting inspired by my inspirations within the repetition pattern. Again by holding down the (SHIFT KEY) it holds the circle for you now I measure it up with my Buffy image placing a red colouring from part one to get filled within the "elliptical marquee tool".

I simply pen tooled the bottom and now it was time to merge the circle shape and Buffy together into one layer, by selecting 'CTRL and selecting the layers then using 'CTRL + ALT + E'.

Now by clicking the (move tool and holding the 'ALT' key you see these two arrows and click and move it simply duplicates the image and by doing so it makes a new layer. "Repetitions".

Now just experimenting with my composition by simply doing the method as above. I wanted to place the same gradient map I used for my first banner.

And by placing the blend mode to 'Screen' remember it comes down to personal preferences. I liked how the gradient map brightens the background.

Again just playing around with the composition and keeping looking at my inspirations. And finally, I just loved the outcome! I wanted this pattern to be above the gradient map so I can keep some of the patterns with original colouring before the gradient map.

Now experimenting with some adjustments "Brightness and contrast" just to brighten the whole image.

I really like the adjustment called 'Selective colour' using the 'reds', and the 'yellows' by placing the relative on. Again I just experiment until I got the colouring that I wanted. I didn't want to go OTT with the colouring. Just go down a little by little.

Now I simply pressed 'CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + E'.

Now it's time to add some effects. I went to 'Filter >> Sketch >> Halftone Pattern' I made sure the colour pallet is set to black and white.

Again, I try and not to go OTT on the effects. I simply pressed 'CTRL + I' (Invert)

I simply used 'Soft Light' on the blending options.

On that specific layer I simply went to 'Edit >> Transform >> "Flip horizontal'.

I really thought the image was a bit light for my liking. So I did this technique that I love doing. I wanted the same feel of orange, the orange which I used first on my background "#f49420" .

Now I set the blend mode to 'Multiply' I liked this because it had a dark fill over the image may I say a bit too dark so I simply placed the opacity down to 55%.

Now, I'm done! I just love the colours it really compliments on my main idea and composition suiting the first banner I made.

Now by using the same effect from the first banner 'Filter >> Noise >> Reduce noise'. It's just cleans everything out. But, it comes down to personal uses. But don't go OTT!

Now for the final effect, I love using and hoping some people might find it useful. 'Filter >> Shapen >> Sharpen Edges' just placing the opacity down about 90%. And done!

End of (Part 2),

Finale piece. {here}

This is my first time that I ever did this so I hope it truly makes sense.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Priceless (08-02-18),Stoney (08-02-18),TriBel (08-02-18)

Thanks

This is amazing! Thank you so much buffylover, this step by step guide is so helpful. I know this must be really time consuming for you, so I do appreciate you taking the time to do this

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (08-02-18)

Thanks

This is amazing! Thank you so much buffylover, this step by step guide is so helpful. I know this must be really time consuming for you, so I do appreciate you taking the time to do this
    You are more than welcome Priceless.

I was thinking about doing this for a long time but, never got around doing it a 'step by step thread' So it makes me thrilled that it truly helps you! and others hopefully!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Priceless (08-02-18),TriBel (10-02-18)

Thanks

I’m doing a step by step on how I created this. {here}.

I really liked how my graphics were showcasing a colour scheme which I did get inspired by other artists! the red and oranges. Which made me think about the 'Sunnydale Jumper' which admittedly I love the typography personally, in my opinion, it would fit the composition really well! try to think outside the box when making these banner styles try to think of stock images, type and layout which would benefit the whole art piece! and come together as a whole!

Now for step three!

What I found most important about the typography of the Sunnydale logo it looks pop art very illustration and that's what I like about it. It connects to pop culture really well, everyone should recognize the type. It also has a horror feel to it as well, for example, the 70s horror movie poster you see around!

Now the first part I simply wanted to pen tool each of the letters of the type within Xander shirt.

“Step one you click on the mouse to start your anchor point, then step two click to follow the shape of the outline of the object but, remember to take (steps) then hold that click so you can be able to curve and move the trail to follow the shape. Then step three you simply hold down (ALT) on the keyboard to move the anchor to continue the outline take steps. Then just repeat until it’s all done. And when you are finished you simply LEFT click on your mouse then make the selection. A zebra pattern outline is selected around the object. Then just simply press (CTRL J) on your keyboard it selects out your image onto a new layer.”

Now do this on each separate letter of the type. Rinse and repeat.

Click one of the layers then hold SHIFT to select all the layers then CTRL + ALT + E to merge all layers within a separate layer.

Now go to 'EDIT >> DEFINE BRUSH PRESET... AND SELECT OKAY'

Now click on the brush tool

And simply press right click when a menu comes up like this.

And it is always located at the bottom!

Now open a new document File >> New and the size is 500px x 300px I used the eyedropper tool to select the red colouring within my first banner. {link}

This was just a preview of the example of the brush. Now I didn't like the white I wanted a yellow again picking the same colours of my previous banners. {here} And simply double click until you get a strong fill colour within the brush.

"Now by using the same effect from the first banner 'Filter >> Noise >> Reduce noise'. It's just cleans everything out. But, it comes down to personal uses. But don't go OTT!"

Now for the final effect, I love using and hoping some people might find it useful. 'Filter >> Sharpen >> Sharpen Edges' just placing the opacity down until I get it right!

Finale piece. {here}

Part four coming soon...

I hope you find this useful.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (09-05-18),Silver1 (09-05-18),Stoney (09-05-18),TriBel (09-05-18)