Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Buffy Related Thoughts

Thanks
    Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,286 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I heard it was a nod to Boris Karloff, his real name was William Pratt. Wow, you know the name is bad when Boris is better than little Willy Pratt. Video for the laugh:
    Actually, Russian names seem to have been popular in old Hollywood - no doubt they were seen as cool and exotic by American and British stars with ordinary English birth names. Another example is actress Natacha Rambova, Rudolph Valentino's wife - real name Winifred Shaugnessy.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (25-01-18),Priceless (25-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,190 Posts

I would have sworn I heard Giles refer to him as Pratt but I guess it was just "you prat" lol.
    There's this from Just Rewards (the R got stuck on the damned keyboard - taken me 5 minutes to pries it up. Stupid Computer!! I bet its serial number is 666! Bloody inanimate objects dictating what I can and can't write) "I'm not the prat here. I know you, Angel. What do you think you're doing?" Yes - I thought it was a homage to Boris Karloff - same as Robin Wood was a homage to...err...Robin Wood.
    Last edited by TriBel; 25-01-18 at 12:36 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (25-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,027 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    There's this from Just Rewards (the R got stuck on the damned keyboard - taken me 5 minutes to pries it up. Stupid Computer!! I bet its serial number is 666! Bloody inanimate objects dictating what I can and can't write) "I'm not the prat here. I know you, Angel. What do you think you're doing?" Yes - I thought it was a homage to Boris Karloff - same as Robin Wood was a homage to...err...Robin Wood.
    Every time I hear Robin Wood I think Robin Hood. Is there another Robin Wood? Am I the only person with the affliction?

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,832 Times in 5,730 Posts

Aurora said it was a homage to Boris Karloff in her FFL review (and now I've checked mentioned Old Times and Spike: Asylum too). She said 'Whedon quickly confirmed that Spike's surname is Pratt' but didn't say when/how, so I don't have a quote. But as she went on to comment, Pratt is a pretty common English surname, across the social classes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (25-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,904 Times in 4,286 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Aurora said it was a homage to Boris Karloff in her FFL review (and now I've checked mentioned Old Times and Spike: Asylum too). She said 'Whedon quickly confirmed that Spike's surname is Pratt' but didn't say when/how, so I don't have a quote. But as she went on to comment, Pratt is a pretty common English surname, across the social classes.
    Does that mean Joss never confirmed it was a homage to Boris Karloff? I think he chose it because of it's meaning in the UK, being a fool.

By the way I have a new computer monitor and the colours are all wrong and it's driving me crazy. I've rung a helpline and they say my computer is too old to handle this monitors tech, luckily I've got a new computer on order, but until it gets here, everything just looks weird

Thanks
    Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Does that mean Joss never confirmed it was a homage to Boris Karloff? I think he chose it because of it's meaning in the UK, being a fool.

By the way I have a new computer monitor and the colours are all wrong and it's driving me crazy. I've rung a helpline and they say my computer is too old to handle this monitors tech, luckily I've got a new computer on order, but until it gets here, everything just looks weird
    I read somewhere he confirmed it (or confirmed something) in S5. There's also an old thread on here (by MikeB?) that ties the surname into the British aristocracy. And I told you computers were the tool of the devil - you wouldn't listen. Here - have this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Video for the laugh:
    I always relate that song to Spike because I first heard it in a fanvid and bought it afterwards. The fanvid is still my favourite Spike one (under the spoiler because it's a tangent as it doesn't even say the word Pratt in it but I can never resist the urge to share it ).

Spoiler:

Joss didn't choose it, it was the non-canon writer of Old Times that gave him the surname Pratt, as the homage to Boris Karloff and Joss, I think, just accepted it as a suggested name. It wasn't chosen because of the link to being a fool. If Joss liked it as a suggestion because of that I don't know. It certainly works well with Fool for Love, but timing-wise I suspect that's a coincidence.

The name is just common in England, in all social classes. Aurora went into quite a bit of detail about the party scene in the FFL review (which was really a detailed character study) and ways in which it didn't fit well to high society in the behaviour of the guests. She concluded, if I remember right, that there wasn't enough information to clearly decide if William was middle class or aristocrat but felt you could be confident he was either upper middle class or untitled lowest rung aristocrat. I conclude he was somewhat posh.

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I read somewhere he confirmed it (or confirmed something) in S5. There's also an old thread on here (by MikeB?) that ties the surname into the British aristocracy. And I told you computers were the tool of the devil - you wouldn't listen. Here - have this
    I've no idea when Old Times was written against when the TV show was running so I really don't know when Joss agreed that it could be Spike's surname.

The surname really isn't class specific, MikeB just likes the idea of Spike secretly being titled, rich, with ties to royalty I think.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (25-01-18),GoSpuffy (25-01-18),Priceless (25-01-18),Silver1 (25-01-18),TimeTravellingBunny (25-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,711 Posts

I have to admit, that I am a bit surprised now. I always thought, that the name was mentioned on the show, because I felt, I knew the name, when I first read in fanfiction. It has for ever been used in fanfiction and why should they all jump on the train of a non-canonical comic ?

I looked Old Times up on Google and it was first published in 2005. I am glad though, that Joss accepted the Name. it would have been weird, if he hjad come up with something like Smith or Miller after all this years ;-)

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Thanks

What I'd love to see in future seasons is Willow have a child. She was so good with Oz's son and she wants a family, I hope she gets one

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (30-01-18)

Thanks

The Gorch brothers were great, two of the more interesting vampires we saw in the show

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (01-02-18)

Thanks

I like that they, with Harmony and Kralik, showed that if you were an unpleasant person in your human life you wouldn't noticeably change so much when you were turned into a vampire. The brothers and Kralik were of course more extremely 'bad' as humans and were already homicidal maniacs. So there was a bigger shift for Harmony of course, as she went for literal kills rather than just being a cruel person verbally cutting others down. But she was callous and cruel before and after. I really like that we get different degrees that make sense against the human individual personalities, it just makes it all so much more nuanced.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

betta (22-02-18),Priceless (01-02-18),TimeTravellingBunny (01-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I like that they, with Harmony and Kralik, showed that if you were an unpleasant person in your human life you wouldn't noticeably change so much when you were turned into a vampire. The brothers and Kralik were of course more extremely 'bad' as humans and were already homicidal maniacs. So there was a bigger shift for Harmony of course, as she went for literal kills rather than just being a cruel person verbally cutting others down. But she was callous and cruel before and after. I really like that we get different degrees that make sense against the human individual personalities, it just makes it all so much more nuanced.
    I really enjoy the show when it creates motw with personality, it adds another layer of complexity, and as you say, adds to the lore.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 763 Posts

What I'd love to see in future seasons is Willow have a child.
    Well, she kinda does have a child. I mean, sure, the seed of wonder is a mystical egg thingy but Will did give birth to it and it came from her heart and whatnot.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Priceless (01-02-18),TriBel (01-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    Well, she kinda does have a child. I mean, sure, the seed of wonder is a mystical egg thingy but Will did give birth to it and it came from her heart and whatnot.
    I'm not sure Willow sees herself as the 'mother of magic', and she did tell Oz that she was worried she'd never have the family that he has and she did seem to want a child. Although that was 3 years ago in verse-time, so she may have changed her mind by now anyway.

Thanks

Innocence is the first perfect episode of Buffy I think

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (03-02-18)

Thanks

I tweeted Christos Cage to say thank you for a season 12 and he liked it. It's a small thing, but it makes me happy

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (22-02-18),flow (21-02-18),Stoney (21-02-18)

Thanks

Innocence is the first perfect episode of Buffy I think
    Lie to Me was the first perfect episode of Buffy IMO.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Priceless (22-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

At least I tried...

My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (22-02-18),TimeTravellingBunny (22-02-18)

Thanks

Does Joss really care about the fandom enough to want to please us all and have a Spuffy timeline and a Bangel timeline? What about a Fuffy timeline . . . a Briley timeline. My head hurts just thinking about it all

Thanks

Does Joss really care about the fandom enough to want to please us all and have a Spuffy timeline and a Bangel timeline? What about a Fuffy timeline . . . a Briley timeline. My head hurts just thinking about it all
    I think Briley (Biley? ) is out of the running, because it's never been popular.

But indeed, I'm surprised that Joss, Mr. "what you need, not what you want", is so desperate to pander to fandom groups. Then again, he did that in Chosen.
    And why just Bangel and Spuffy - Willow/Tara is a big fandom, if anything I'd think he'd want to pander to them (not to mention the whole "Bury your Gays" controversy). Angel/Cordy is a pretty popular ship, too - and we know how that one was treated. Apparently Willow/Xander used to be popular in the early seasons, and back then Joss had no problem ruining that one. What happened?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Priceless (22-02-18)