Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Buffy Related Thoughts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 880 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    How long will this take you Stoney? I just don't have time to watch/read everything. I may rush through AtS S5 just because i haven't read the comics in a quite a while and I'm actually excited to get to them, while AtS doesn't excite me as much. Do you know, for the life of me I cannot remember how Spike came across the bug ship!
    You have to read the Spike Complete Series for the bug ship! Or at least, the final chapter.

I like S8; what happened in my most recent reread (last year) is that I got very focused on Angel - and really, his crimes (in detail here) as Twilight were many and terrible; and if when I read S8 for the first time I got so shocked by Angel's behavior that I didn't want to accept he was capable of doing all that, now I understand it was very in character, actually; I wrote about it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Well you've put me right off now lol. It's not good, I'll give you that, but I don't remember it being completely terrible. I've read it twice and it was better second time around. Maybe third time will be the charm and I'll come to love it. I'll keep you informed
    You should read!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! That would be great GoSpuffy, shall we start a thread?
    Yes, you should!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    In relation to not letting Buffy know about Spike, yeah it was somewhat thoughtless but the jealousy and insecurity Angel felt wasn't exactly being hidden.
    Why Angel didn't get shocked when he smelled Spike on Buffy? Why he didn't get surprised about Spike having a soul? How did Angel know that Spike had died on the Hellmouth and that Buffy was in Europe? And why he didn't tell anyone that Spike had died to save the world and had a soul (not even to Wesley)?
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (12-01-18),Priceless (12-01-18),Silver1 (12-01-18),Stoney (11-01-18),TriBel (12-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 875 Posts

Yes! That would be great GoSpuffy, shall we start a thread? When would you like to begin?
    You start the thread while I read episode one. Ready.......Set.......GO!

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-01-18),TriBel (12-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,824 Times in 5,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    Why Angel didn't get shocked when he smelled Spike on Buffy? Why he didn't get surprised about Spike having a soul? How did Angel know that Spike had died on the Hellmouth and that Buffy was in Europe? And why he didn't tell anyone that Spike had died to save the world and had a soul (not even to Wesley)?
    Sorry I don't understand what you mean with these points. Are you talking about things that Angel was hiding? I was meaning that Angel acting in jealousy towards Spike over Buffy wasn't a hidden factor from the viewer, we could see that insecurity and jealousy was working both ways for the two vamps in AtS 5.

Yes! That would be great GoSpuffy, shall we start a thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    You start the thread while I read episode one. Ready.......Set.......GO!
    I just thought I'd point out that there is a comics section and a sub section for discussing S8 if you want to start a thread for rereading together - here. I'm sorry, it is just the anal part of me that will start twitching if it doesn't go in the right place.
    Last edited by Stoney; 12-01-18 at 05:11 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-01-18)

Thanks

Sorry I don't understand what you mean with these points. Are you talking about things that Angel was hiding? I was meaning that Angel acting in jealousy towards Spike over Buffy wasn't a hidden factor from the viewer, we could see that insecurity and jealousy was working both ways for the two vamps in AtS 5.

I just thought I'd point out that there is a comics section and a sub section for discussing S8 if you want to start a thread for rereading together - here. I'm sorry, it is just the anal part of me that will start twitching if it doesn't go in the right place.
    Im sure we frequently make you feel like you're herding kittens. Just don't take us to any of your poker games. We'll be good! We promise!!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

betta (12-01-18),Priceless (12-01-18),Stoney (12-01-18),TriBel (12-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,704 Times in 3,691 Posts

You have to read the Spike Complete Series for the bug ship! Or at least, the final chapter.
    Thanks Betta. I'm sure I've read these a long time ago but can't remember them Just gone onto Ebay and bought the hardbacks second hand

You're thoughts on Angel and his crimes as Twilight are really interesting and you make some great points. I've never focused on Angel, and it's really been S11 when I've really felt I might have a grasp on his personality and reasoning for what he does.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (12-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,295 Times in 880 Posts

They were just random thoughts; however the fact that Angel didn't tell anyone in LA that Spike had a soul and died helping Buffy could be because he felt jealous and insecure towards his grandson... if I remember well, Wesley and Fred were very surprised - and a little angry - about not having been told the news.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with you, it bothers me a little if the thingy isn't in the right place...
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

12. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Stoney (12-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,824 Times in 5,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    I'm with you, it bothers me a little if the thingy isn't in the right place...
    Yep, I just nearly coughed coffee all over the laptop.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

betta (13-01-18),GoSpuffy (12-01-18),TriBel (12-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,510 Times in 1,937 Posts

LOL! Maybe I'm just a really negative person but I always presumed Angel's very evasive behaviour in AtS5 was because he was jealous of Spike. In fact, David Fury says as much in an interview.

I got so shocked by Angel's behavior that I didn't want to accept he was capable of doing all that, now I understand it was very in character, actually; I wrote about it here.
    Again - maybe I'm a cynic but I had no problem accepting Twilight as a logical extension of Angel. In fact, much of it can be inferred from his relationship with his father. And the "Spike" references are brilliant - that's Whedon being self-reflexive. I haven't had time to read all your thoughts on Twilight but I will.

Sigh...I'm worried now that I'm a bad person who automatically thinks the worst of people. ohwell:

I'm sorry, it is just the anal part of me that will start twitching if it doesn't go in the right place.
    Thanks for that image Stoney. There's absolutely no response I could make that won't get me thrown off this board! I'm not thinking the worst of you but I am smiling.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

betta (13-01-18),GoSpuffy (12-01-18),Priceless (12-01-18),SpuffyGlitz (27-05-18),Stoney (13-01-18)

Thanks

I'm half watching an old episode of The Big Bang Theory and Sheldon just said that something was such a true mark of quality it should just say directed by Joss Whedon, it made me smile

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,063 Posts

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

debbicles (27-04-18),GoSpuffy (12-01-18),Priceless (12-01-18),SpuffyGlitz (27-05-18),Stoney (13-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,510 Times in 1,937 Posts

I'm re-reading S8, finishing my rewatch of Potentials and then plan to watch Rosemary's Baby. God knows what my unconscious will do to the mix. Thankfully, I'm one of those people who doesn't recall dreams.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-01-18),Silver1 (13-01-18),Stoney (13-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I'm re-reading S8, finishing my rewatch of Potentials and then plan to watch Rosemary's Baby. God knows what my unconscious will do to the mix. Thankfully, I'm one of those people who doesn't recall dreams.
    You need to join Priceless and me on our S8 thread! I'm nearing the end of my supernatural rewatch. I've loved it, don't get me wrong, those Winchesters are great but I feel like I've been watching this forever! lol I have been when I think about it. Can you imagine if there were 13 seasons of Buffy? That would be so great!! (TV seasons that is)

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-01-18),Silver1 (13-01-18),TriBel (12-01-18)

Thanks

Silver1 does that mean anyone who watches Buffy is a nerd?

TriBel you should post your thoughts on S8 in GoSpuffy and my re-read thread. I've not actually started yet, I wanted to finish Pet, which I have just done and it was brilliant.

Supernatural is great GoSpuffy, but it's the same story over and over again, though I could watch Dean read the telephone directory so I'm not complaining. And yes I'd have loved 13+ Buffy series

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (13-01-18),Silver1 (13-01-18),TriBel (12-01-18)

Thanks

On my first reading, I hated S8, on my second I liked it a bit, now on my third reading I am really enjoying it

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (14-01-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

What made you change your opinion on it? I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks

I read S8&9 all out of order and mixed together just before S10 was released. I then walked away from trying to find those issues and just joined in on S10. So some of what I know comes from what I've heard people say and some comes from my disjointed read. I'm really excited about the S8 read thread because I'm finally going to read it all in the right order!

Thanks

I hadn't read any comics since I was a kid, so the medium was new to me and I read it in a rush and didn't pick up on the nuances or take enough note of the art. I was disappointed in the story and because it didn't give me the Spike/Spuffy I wanted, I disparaged the whole comic. But on the second and third reads, I'm used to the comics, and I know I'll eventually get Spuffy in later seasons, so I can concentrate more on what I have got, and there is some really good stuff in there.

Of course S8 has it's problems and it lost me on some of it's story lines; giant goddesses, Angel/Twilight, Buffy flying, submarines, Tibet, f***king a world into existence . . . it got too big, it's not the characterful little show I loved. But on re-read I know what to expect so it isn't so bad, and on each re-read the good stuff gets better and the bad stuff fades.

Talking to other fans about it has changed my opinions a lot too. I find most fans like S8, and that made me approach it differently and give it more a chance, and start to look for what others saw.

Bet you wished you'd never asked 'eh? What are your opinions of S8 and the comics in general?

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (14-01-18),GoSpuffy (14-01-18),Silver1 (14-01-18),Stoney (14-01-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Well as I've boringly said before I hated season 8. I thought the whole thing ended up being nothing like the show and I was stunned that Whedon thought the whole sentient universe/star frack was good idea. It was the only time I felt truly embarrassed to be a Buffy fan. It's listed in the top ten of most embarrassing ideas in a comic for good reason imo.

Other fan forums I hung about on ridiculed it and I couldn't help but cringe too, and it appears I was not the only one.

https://www.ranker.com/list/dumb-thi.../jacob-shelton

https://moviepilot.com/posts/3921357

https://www.cbr.com/15-craziest-mome...slayer-comics/
    Last edited by Silver1; 14-01-18 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Well as I've boringly said before I hated season 8. I thought the whole thing ended up being nothing like the show and I was stunned that Whedon thought the whole sentient universe/star frack was good idea. It was the only time I felt truly embarrassed to be a Buffy fan. It's listed in the top ten of most embarrassing ideas in a comic for good reason imo.

Other fan forums I hung about on ridiculed it and I couldn't help but cringe too, and it appears I was not the only one.

https://www.ranker.com/list/dumb-thi.../jacob-shelton

https://moviepilot.com/posts/3921357

https://www.cbr.com/15-craziest-mome...slayer-comics/
    Yep I cannot disagree, f***ing a world into existence is insane. Angel's reasoning behind it is possibly more insane it is one of the worst things the comic has done, but if nothing else, it was true to Angel (and Buffy's) character and is a cohesive continuation of Angel's story all the way through to S11 (which I have only read once and did not understand at all) I think Joss has already said he just went crazy writing S8 because he had no budget or tv execs to restrain him, and I think that shows.

There really is some good stuff in S8 that is enjoyable, it's a pity it's overshadowed by Twilight and his ridiculous plans

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (14-01-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

The thing is they obviously didn't think about it properly at the time but they really threw Angel under the bus with the whole Twilight nonsense. To this day his character has been harmed by it, just like Spike with the whole AR thing.

It's like everybody's brains fell out when they wrote this nonsense. A few nutty thing you could throw off, but amount of out and out insane and non buffyverse ideas they had in this was just insane. I mean "The seed of wonder?" Jesus.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-01-18)