Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Buffy Related Thoughts

Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 3,707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I think the library editions are different to the trade paperbacks, but I'm not sure how??
    Well I have the trade paperbacks, but the library edition I have is for paperbacks I've lent out (which is why I ordered that one first) so I can't check what the differences are. Does anyone else know?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 881 Posts

Library Editions are bigger, heavier and much more beautiful! I have just one, Angel & Faith S9, Volume 2.

TPBs come in more volumes - 5 for Buffy S9, for instance, while there are only 3 Library Editions volumes; and the LEs include the mini Willow: Wonderland. So, if you collect the TPBs for S9, you'll have to buy the Willow mini separately.

And S10 doesn't have Library Editions... yet...

I bought the TPBs for S8 and S9 years ago (and S10 and S11 more recently), and I would do the same today, because they are easier to handle.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-01-18),Stoney (10-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,549 Times in 1,954 Posts

Does everyone else have the library editions or have I wasted my money or is there a better edition I should have got?
    I've got all the library editions (4 S8; 3 S9; 3 A&F9 plus Tales of the Slayers/Vampires). I'll get the others if they bring them out. I like them - and TBH, they're prettier than the TPB. Did you get the latest version (with just 2 editions in the series)?

I prefer them on a digital format so they don't take up anymore room.
    That's the sensible option - me and sensible make poor bed-fellows. I buy things I really need (read really, really want) in hard copy. Digital is for "Hmmm...looks interesting - don't need it but I'd better get it because I might need it/want it one day" purchases. Nothing requires reading - it's just a case of having.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-01-18),Stoney (10-01-18)

Thanks

I've got all the library editions (4 S8; 3 S9; 3 A&F9 plus Tales of the Slayers/Vampires). I'll get the others if they bring them out. I like them - and TBH, they're prettier than the TPB. Did you get the latest version (with just 2 editions in the series)?
    It was you saying how great they were that persuaded me to get the library editions. The first one I've got is S9 Book Volume 2 which has Guarded, Billy The Vampire Slayer Parts 1&2, and Willow:Wonderland, none of which are anywhere near my favourite arcs. It does look absolutely gorgeous though

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (10-01-18),TriBel (10-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,835 Times in 5,314 Posts

I was never really sure what the difference was with the library editions. Presumably they are a bit more expensive. I buy the hard copies as my default setting. I like to have and hold the printed copies. I've got lots of BtVS books that I haven't read yet because owning them was the priority. When it comes to the canon seasons I will get the hard copies of them all and vary in getting the individual issues and the TPBs (Trades for S8, individual for S9 of BtVS & AtS, trades for S10, individual for S11 of BtVS but trades for Angel ). And then for BtVS 9/10/11 (and Angel S9 and 10) I have both the digital as well as the hard copies. Basically because I won't wait the five+ days it takes for the hard copy to arrive. Heck, I normally don't clear two hours past release before I've read the digital copies. . Also I like to be able to check things quickly whilst sat at my computer rather than having to get up and fetch the hard copy (lazy!).
    Last edited by Stoney; 10-01-18 at 10:02 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

betta (11-01-18),Priceless (10-01-18)

Thanks

The library copies are so beautiful I'm not sure I will ever read them, they're too nice to touch so I'll just end up looking at them

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (11-01-18),Stoney (10-01-18)

Thanks

Well, the outside of them at least.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-01-18),Silver1 (10-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,549 Times in 1,954 Posts

They've got book-marks in them! Little ribbons! Sign of quality - a little ribbon. Actually, mine have also got lots of post-its sticking out but at least I haven't scribbled in them!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

betta (11-01-18),Priceless (11-01-18),Stoney (11-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 881 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I finally got my first library edition of the comics. It wasn't too expensive, but it's so lovely. Does everyone else have the library editions or have I wasted my money or is there a better edition I should have got?
    They are gorgeous, and if you don't mind the size and weight, go for it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I was never really sure what the difference was with the library editions. Presumably they are a bit more expensive. I buy the hard copies as my default setting. I like to have and hold the printed copies. I've got lots of BtVS books that I haven't read yet because owning them was the priority. When it comes to the canon seasons I will get the hard copies of them all and vary in getting the individual issues and the TPBs (Trades for S8, individual for S9 of BtVS & AtS, trades for S10, individual for S11 of BtVS but trades for Angel ). And then for BtVS 9/10/11 (and Angel S9 and 10) I have both the digital as well as the hard copies. Basically because I won't wait the five+ days it takes for the hard copy to arrive. Heck, I normally don't clear two hours past release before I've read the digital copies. . Also I like to be able to check things quickly whilst sat at my computer rather than having to get up and fetch the hard copy (lazy!).
    I also have to have hard copies, but, for now, I am giving up the monthly issues for Giles (and S12, if it is the case). They take up to 2 months to arrive here, so I don't see the point to get them anymore (it used to be only 15-20 days). But I intend to buy the TPBs - and I hope Giles will have at least one volume.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

17. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-01-18)

Thanks

Finished my re-watch and am not trying to psych myself up to start Season 8. It's my least favourite season and I've been putting it off

Thanks

Have you watched AtS as well?

Thanks

No, not season 5, but I only finished watching the whole show a month ago. I know if I am doing a proper full re-watch/read I should really watch the whole of AtS again, but I just cannot face it. I'm not in the mood for Angel right now Do you think I should watch S5 before S8?

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,670 Times in 668 Posts

Re-reading season 8 is suffering.

OK, there are highlights, the good parts are pretty good, dialog is excellent, it looks nice etc but there is just SO. MUCH. FILLER. Stupid one-shots, bullshit plot lines that go nowhere and have no reason to exist, entire arcs consisting of mostly filler. Who OK'd this? What was the editor doing? Or, right, he was co-writing that trash.

And the whole thing is, like, 1200(!) pages long ( what were they thinking?! ) so you can't just power through it in a day or two. It's like they did on purpose!
    Last edited by a thing of evil; 11-01-18 at 11:10 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,475 Posts

I have a random thought, that is related to AtS.

We all know, that neither Angel nor Spike ever called Buffy during season 5 and neither did she call Angel (not knowing Spike was back, she obviously had no reason to call him) or visit him.

Well, maybe Buffy was grieving so hard, that she had no time left for Angel. And maybe Angel was pissed off, that Buffy had given him the - what did he call it ? Curveball ? - for Spike, that he didn`t want to tell her, Spike was back. And Spike definitely was being silly and insecure and completely off his birds, that was why he never called her himself. It is really difficult, but I can somehow accept that.

But no one ever called Faith. And never once did Faith call, or visit them.

She was close to Angel. They trusted each other. They had a bond. Why did she never get in touch with him ?

She knew Fred, Why did no one tell her about her death ? Why didn`t Fred even before that call her and tell her, Spike was alive ? Fred knew, that they had been fighting together in the hellmouth. Wouldn`t it have been the most natural thing, to call and say "Guess, who showed up?" Same goes for Willow. Fred and Willow were friends. Fred knew, Spike and Willow had been at least allies, if not even friends. But even if she wouldn`t call explicitly, to talk aboout Spike, why did they never talk again at all ?

Why did Faith never visit Cordy, while she was still in hospital in a coma in season 5 ? Hey, coma-comrades here. Faith would have had so much to tell Cordy. Why did no one tell Faith, Cordy was dead ?

Why did no one call Faith, when they thought Angel had gone evil again ? Why did nobody call Faith and ask her to join them in taking down the circle of the Black Thorne ? It would have been just her kind of fight, she would have loved to join.

I know, that Eliza Dushku had signed somewhere else and couldn`t actually make an appearance on AtS season 5. But they could have faked a telephone call. or a letter, an email, a text....whatever. or they could have provided us with some Explanation, maybe that Faith had temporarily gone back to jail or gone back into a coma or gone to Timbuktoo...

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-01-18)

Thanks

[QUOTE=a thing of evil;712338]Re-reading season 8 is suffering.

OK, there are highlights, the good parts are pretty good, dialog is excellent, it looks nice etc but there is just SO. MUCH. FILLER. Stupid one-shots, bullshit plot lines that go nowhere and have no reason to exist, entire arcs consisting of mostly filler. Who OK'd this? What was the editor doing? Or, right, he was co-writing that trash.

Well you've put me right off now lol. It's not good, I'll give you that, but I don't remember it being completely terrible. I've read it twice and it was better second time around. Maybe third time will be the charm and I'll come to love it. I'll keep you informed

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (11-01-18)

Thanks

No, not season 5, but I only finished watching the whole show a month ago. I know if I am doing a proper full re-watch/read I should really watch the whole of AtS again, but I just cannot face it. I'm not in the mood for Angel right now Do you think I should watch S5 before S8?
    Of course you watched it very recently, I forgot about that. Personally, when I eventually get to the end of my current main rewatch (I've started a second rewatch overlapping my rewatch here!! ), where I'm watching BtVS and the AtS sister episodes, I'm intending to watch AtS 5 then read AtF 1-17, inc Spike AtF (not convinced I'll read the IDW non-Joss that came after #17, but I might) before reading S8. I'll probably read the Spike 8 towards the end of S8 before he arrives too. I think (but I haven't done this before yet to check!), that it'll be interesting for following the Angel/Spike sides towards S8 better, to see their journeys leading up to it too.

Obviously I'm interested in considering what Spike is getting up to before he appears at the end of the season because hey, favourite character and all. (I only take the rough idea of him being off with a group from the Spike 8, it doesn't have Joss' name to it and has some serious weaknesses that bug me too much to take the details of it for personal canon, but it does give us the bugship intro which is from Joss and canon, so it's worth including for that lead in alone). Angel is a top character for me too, although I know you don't have the same pov for him so you may not want to look specifically at Angel's path too. But considering his role in S8, I decided I wanted to see all that came before when I next read it.

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I have a random thought, that is related to AtS.
    In relation to not letting Buffy know about Spike, yeah it was somewhat thoughtless but the jealousy and insecurity Angel felt wasn't exactly being hidden. He also had the whole inner doubts over what he was doing at W&H too and probably didn't want to open a direct dialogue and end up with that getting quizzed either. The others probably just didn't want to get in the middle of the whole thing and Spike never tried to get someone to contact anyone because he wasn't sure what he wanted, he was so unsettled. I can see that he may have just wanted to avoid it when he wasn't sure he'd ever be anything more than a ghost and then once he was corporeal it's all on him that he's opting to hold back of course.

I think there are always these kinds of holes in the stories because of who they do or don't want within the cast. It plays in the comics too. Why aren't we seeing Gunn or Connor more? Where has Alastair gone to? Why hasn't anyone contacted Spike about Fred being back? Why didn't we see Angel calling Fred's parents? Where has Oz gone and why wasn't he trying to touch base to make sure Buffy and everyone were alright this season when the camps were being set up?

There will always be some potential inclusions that are logical that don't happen. I suppose mostly because they don't need the characters or because they just have too much going on to want to try and weave in another person. We can perhaps assume that anything of significance that it is hard to believe wouldn't have been discussed and passed on happened off screen.
    Last edited by Stoney; 11-01-18 at 10:26 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-01-18)

Thanks

Of course you watched it very recently, I forgot about that. Personally, when I eventually get to the end of my current main rewatch (I've started a second rewatch overlapping my rewatch here!! ), where I'm watching BtVS and the AtS sister episodes, I'm intending to watch AtS 5 then read AtF 1-17, inc Spike AtF (not convinced I'll read the IDW non-Joss that came after #17, but I might) before reading S8. I'll probably read the Spike 8 towards the end of S8 before he arrives too. I think (but I haven't done this before yet to check!), that it'll be interesting for following the Angel/Spike sides towards S8 better, to see their journeys leading up to it too
    How long will this take you Stoney? I just don't have time to watch/read everything. I may rush through AtS S5 just because i haven't read the comics in a quite a while and I'm actually excited to get to them, while AtS doesn't excite me as much. Do you know, for the life of me I cannot remember how Spike came across the bug ship!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 879 Posts

Finished my re-watch and am not trying to psych myself up to start Season 8. It's my least favourite season and I've been putting it off
    I'm willing to do a S8 rewatch with you. I own volume 1 in digital copies. I could probably hunt up the rest. Want a partner?

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I'm willing to do a S8 rewatch with you. I own volume 1 in digital copies. I could probably hunt up the rest. Want a partner?
    Yes! That would be great GoSpuffy, shall we start a thread? When would you like to begin?

Thanks

How long will this take you Stoney?
    An absolute age most likely! The rewatch here is taking an exceptionally long time. But I'm hoping we'll get going again on S6 any time now and I'm likely to suggest we change the approach/timescales for S7. I would hope that we will finish the series before my second rewatch gets there (as I'm only on S2 What's My Line on that one at the moment). There's always the chance that we'll watch/read/discuss together further if people are interested, but it'll take longer than just whizzing through on my own. You'll probably be considering your next rewatch/reread by then!

I don't remember the bug ship storyline very well either. Wolfram and Hart stole the main ship I think it was and Spike helped the bugs keep the smaller ship. That aspect is all a bit scrambled in my head which is why I definitely want to reread those for the bugship intro before Spike turns up in S8.