Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
Results 1,101 to 1,113 of 1113

Thread: Random Buffy Related Thoughts

Thanks
    Thanked 4,548 Times in 1,954 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Oh shit, I am going to need a visa???
    flow
    Huh...don't ask me. If the people who're paid to know these things don't know why should I? I've got my eyes closed and my fingers in my ears in relation to anything to do with Brexit. If I ignore it, it'll (possibly) go away. It's a strategy that worked with the kids....

Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 3,707 Posts

Anthony Stewart Head just tweeted this . . .

@AnthonySHead

So I watched #TheBody again yesterday and I cried...several times. Quite the most beautiful and extraordinary piece of television. Written and directed by @joss it should have so many awards hanging around its neck - it was and still is groundbreaking x

I quite agree with him

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (09-06-19),GoSpuffy (09-06-19),Silver1 (09-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (09-06-19),Stoney (09-06-19),thenewbuzwuzz (12-06-19),TriBel (09-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,475 Posts

I love it that he is re-watching.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (09-06-19),Priceless (09-06-19),Silver1 (12-06-19),Stoney (09-06-19),thenewbuzwuzz (12-06-19)

Thanks

Elsewhere, it's been suggested 'Older and Far Away' is based on The Exterminating Angel (El Angel Exterminador, 1962) by Luis Bu˝uel. Wiki confirms it:
    The Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode, "Older and Far Away" (2002), references the movie when a set of characters is unable to leave a house after a party. Initially, the characters seems to be psychologically unable to leave, but later the characters desire to leave but physically cannot, due to a spell.
    Interesting because I think S7s First Date refers us back to Older and Far Away (in the choice that Buffy makes to go to Spike before Xander). In Exterminating Angel, they break down a wall to access a water pipe. In FD, the pipework's on the surface. In O&FA, the demon is in the wall. In Restless, Joyce is in the wall. In Lessons we get this:
    SPIKE: This is my home. I belong here. Always been here. Cheers for stopping by.
    Spike walks away from Buffy. He faces the wall and puts his hands on it.
    SPIKE (To himself) It's in the wall.
    In the Lessons prologue, the potential attempts to escape the Bringers by climbing a pipe. Later in the episode, Buffy defends herself againt the manifest spirits with a pipe.

As Willow says in Lessons, "Everything's connected".

I'm just gonna think about Flooded.
    Last edited by TriBel; 12-06-19 at 11:12 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (12-06-19),GoSpuffy (12-06-19),Priceless (12-06-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,511 Times in 745 Posts

I wouldn't say wiki confirms it. I don't believe it's ever been mentioned from the writers. A group of people stuck in an enclosed space by a spell or other means is pretty standard fare for genre shows and the norm for bottle episodes. Fear Itself also has similar notes.
    Last edited by HardlyThere; 12-06-19 at 12:06 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

flow (12-06-19)

Thanks

I am sure you all know this already, but it's the first time I've really thought about it this way before (thanks to Buffy Boys podcast) Angel was cursed by a man, that the curse is patriarchal in nature because he was the head of his group and though it was Angel who was cursed, it's in fact Buffy who truly suffers from it. They suggest that the curse was deliberately made the way it was so that Buffy was punished once again, but on a different level, by the patriarchy. So when people say it's a stupid curse, and a major flaw in logic, it really is, but it's designed to be exactly what it was.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,670 Times in 668 Posts

B-but...Angel was cursed by a woman? The lovely elder lady, in her mystical tent?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 506 Posts

I haven't listened to that podcast, but to me this sounds like a farfetched patriarchy conspiracy theory. Not everything is about that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    B-but...Angel was cursed by a woman? The lovely elder lady, in her mystical tent?
    Was it? I have a memory of a man standing and pointing at Angel as he cowers by a fire?? I have the memory of a goldfish so I could be imagining it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dutchess View Post
    I haven't listened to that podcast, but to me this sounds like a farfetched patriarchy conspiracy theory. Not everything is about that.
    I would highly recommend it. They're are very intellectual about it, but I like that to be honest. They refer a lot to Rhonda Wilcox. I don't agree with everything, of course, but i like their delivery and I feel like I'm learning stuff

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (20-06-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,670 Times in 668 Posts

Was it? I have a memory of a man standing and pointing at Angel as he cowers by a fire?? I have the memory of a goldfish so I could be imagining it.
    There is a scene like that but it takes place after Angel is cursed. The actual cursing is done by the Kalderash crone lady.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    There is a scene like that but it takes place after Angel is cursed. The actual cursing is done by the Kalderash crone lady.
    I shall be writing a strongly worded email

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-06-19),GoSpuffy (20-06-19),Stoney (21-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I am sure you all know this already, but it's the first time I've really thought about it this way before (thanks to Buffy Boys podcast) Angel was cursed by a man, that the curse is patriarchal in nature because he was the head of his group and though it was Angel who was cursed, it's in fact Buffy who truly suffers from it. They suggest that the curse was deliberately made the way it was so that Buffy was punished once again, but on a different level, by the patriarchy. So when people say it's a stupid curse, and a major flaw in logic, it really is, but it's designed to be exactly what it was.
    I've never really bothered to think about the actual curse because I tend to see the result as a manifestation of Liam's repressed fears and desires (and this is borne out in A11). However, that does connect the two. Liam's dad "curses" Liam and warns him to stay away from Kathy (he fears Liam will "corrupt her"). I think this is the day Liam's turned. It doesn't take much to draw a line between the leader of the gypsy tribe and Liam's dad as the leader of his "tribe". From that perspective, it's just a twist on the standard Oedipus. The result of the second curse is Angelus is "turned" into Angel (and a young girl is "corrupted"). There's repetition. The old lady is interesting - it's easy enough to see her as the archaic mother and I've just remembered this (it's something I wrote on another occasion):

"As befits a ‘witch’ Bella stages the revenge of the mother, sister, daughter by deploying the ‘magic word’ and “cursing” the father. Traditionally ‘the curse of a woman...was considered far more potent than a man’s curse. A ‘mother’s curse’ as it was known meant certain death.’ I think the reference I have for it is Creed's The Monstrous Feminine (I'll look it up when my brain's working). Death can mean actual or symbolic death and, in a sense, Angelus "dies" as a result of the curse. The other interesting thing is Buffy. In the involuntary memory at the beginning of The Body, Joyce jokingly refers to Buffy as "a demon child". I think this scene is a manifestation of Buffy's unconscious - and I think the joke is lodged in her unconscious as a "curse". I need to think it through properly but - as it stands - I'm happy to go along with the idea it's rooted in patriarchal psycho-social structures.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-06-19)

Thanks

They did make reference to Oedipus on the podcast. They really are very interesting to listen to and they do try and wring out every bit of meaning from each episode, which I love. They do miss some things, such as Angel criticising women of his era in Halloween, they didn't see that as patriarchal or give it any sort of feminist reading, or perhaps do, but failed to mention it. (They tend to be more QT than Feminist, but that's just today's fashion I think)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (21-06-19)