Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Fanfic Discussions - reading group

Thanks

I agree with Stoney about some of the early problems in Old Man Spike, especially about the children, and that's not making me love the fic. But I do like the style so far, and am willing to continue. I want to get to Spike and Buffy meeting for the first time in 10 years, see how the author handles that, before I decided to keep reading. It she can make that meeting convincing and we get some nice Spuffy moments, then I'll keep going
    Never much cared for picket fences anyway. Bloody dangerous.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (Yesterday)

Sunnydale High Student GoSpuffy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm on chapter 15. It's not a perfect fic in that it's pretty far from canon. And spike's not very Spike-ish. That said I'm liking seeing him as a "daddy". We've been talking about what we'd like to see from spuffy in our spuffy appreciation group and it makes me wonder if I would like to see spike and Buffy raise a child. Maybe not one of their own but another adopted one like how Dawn was sort of their child. There are lots of slayers in the world. One could leave an orphan behind for them to raise.
    I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks

Hi,

I am still recovering from flu. I hope I`ll be able to start reading tomorrow and then I will join you and catch up to you, unless you have already abandoned this fic by then :-)

flow
    Will you just hold me ?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Yesterday),Silver1 (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,256 Times in 2,983 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I am still recovering from flu. I hope I`ll be able to start reading tomorrow and then I will join you and catch up to you, unless you have already abandoned this fic by then :-)
    Sorry to hear you are still unwell flow. Soup is the legitimate answer to combat most illnesses I think.

I'm only at the end of chapter 6 and I'm considering just stopping. At the most I'll only skim over the rest to see where the plot of the story goes because I'm still interested enough in that at the moment to want the answer. But I really heartily dislike what the writer is doing to the characterisations/canon.

So no surprise that the bad guys are turning out to be human. I actually found the attack on Faith, the deliberate testing and cold clinical reporting effective for increasing my care towards Ebony. The passing on of power from Faith makes it feel like Ebony is her daughter to me (could literally be I suppose), but I'm not convinced it is workable that the gained skills/strength of each slayer passes on. How damn weak was the first!? The early development of Ebony and Spike's relationship was okay but pretty corny. The writing standard isn't great and Ebony's breakdown when the watchers showed up at the bar was very overblown and I felt inconsistent against how she was when we originally met her. But then I'd already lost patience by that point.

I really didn't like the rewrite of Buffy telling Spike she loved him the night before the battle and them having gotten physical again. It makes his determination to stay away harder to understand and I just like that the S7 relationship wasn't about that. But that wasn't what really annoyed me. Not only did we start off by needlessly rewriting Spike's evil past and have him dismissive of the soul, now we've had a memory (bluntly stated to us as accurate) of Buffy outright saying "I made you do that" in reference to the AR, that she had twisted his idea of yes/no, (because presumably the demon side of him had no part to play in the attack if the soul was needless ). "If there was a monster in our relationship last year, it was me."

I know that Buffy blames herself often but the story isn't disagreeing with her in the slightest, there aren't layers here. Yes they both did things wrong in the S6 relationship but this fic isn't showing understanding of the mutual abuse or taking into account that Buffy saw that it needed to end. Spike's evil is being fairly determinedly whitewashed and his limitations unsouled which led to the attack are being ignored. The icing on the cake is that now they're also victim blaming Buffy.

I'm pretty disinterested in Spike/Buffy meeting up again because this is so far removed from canon and the canon characters. The writing is doing one of the most comprehensive drag downs of Spike's journey and the development he gained that I've read and it's insulting Buffy to boot. Bah.
    Last edited by Stoney; Yesterday at 06:27 PM.

Sunnydale High Student GoSpuffy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm going to finish the story because I'm half way through and while I don't love every detail it is easy to read and has nice flow. I don't like the traitors (unnamed so as not to spoil). I don't think either of them would of what he did. I'm mostly focusing my attention on he Spike/Ebony story and the Spike/Buffy reunion. I'm a sucker for a spuffy reunion lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I skimmed the rest if the story. I don't like it when slayers fight with guns. That's a big no no in my books. Someone else pick the next fic. I chose poorly
    I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Today)