Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Fanfic Discussions - reading group

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spuffyfreak View Post
    Thats why I peak through the reviews first one review says something like how Spike and Buffy has Angel worshipping and says that they both enjoy sex together because they both had it with him so even if the writing is oscar worthy this one is not for me
    I very rarely read the reviews first, because I'll give it a go no matter what the reviews say.

It's stretching believability but Buffy has sex with Angel that evening and the following morning she has sex with Spike. It's written really well, but I'm not sure it would happen that way. I think the mutual jealousy between the two vampires would just stop it happening. I want to finish it because it's good writing, but the story doesn't thrill me
    Never much cared for picket fences anyway. Bloody dangerous.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    No It's not that at all. I think you're misreading what the author was trying to do there.

But hey, If a talking penis is more folks style, have at it.
    No Spuffy is more my style, talking penis doesn't hurt though

Thanks

Finished Vampire Winter. I loved the style and the story and the Roman setting was beautiful. The characterisations were good on the whole and I do think Spike and Angel love each other and I like them as a romantic pairing, but not if Buffy is in the picture. Both vampires are incredibly jealous of each other and their love for Buffy outweighs everything else, at least for Spike, he wouldn't walk away and leave her, and I think he'd let himself be dusted rather than see her with Angel.

I liked that Buffy felt a catharsis at the end, and wanted to return to the world of organised slaying, but I don't buy that she would let Spike slip away so easily, as though she'd grown out of him in some way. I felt the author wanted that sense of catharsis herself, but it didn't ring true for the characters.

I also don't really consider this a Spuffy fic. The author reads more like a Spangel shipper. She is a good writer though, so for that I'd give it 6/10, but it's not for Spuffy fans really.

- - - Updated - - -

I see Heroes in Hell is by the same author, so I'm not expecting a lot of Spuffy, but she is a good writer, so I'm going to give it a go.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (20-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,338 Times in 3,016 Posts

The talking penis is just a laugh we're appreciating the light heartedness of for the break it gives, it isn't truly something that is a fic ingredient we as a group are seeking, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Finished Vampire Winter. I loved the style and the story and the Roman setting was beautiful. The characterisations were good on the whole and I do think Spike and Angel love each other and I like them as a romantic pairing, but not if Buffy is in the picture. Both vampires are incredibly jealous of each other and their love for Buffy outweighs everything else, at least for Spike, he wouldn't walk away and leave her, and I think he'd let himself be dusted rather than see her with Angel.
    I don't think it's something either of them show any inclination to want to have in canon, so it will always be a characterisation stretch/warping for me. Establishing more to it than there was (I'm assuming) is hardly exploring a canon relationship Spike had, it's deepening/embellishing one the writer likes the idea of. Being around Buffy/Angel or somehow accepting them to still be with Buffy wouldn't be totally out of character though, he did that for a couple of decades ish with Angel/Dru, but it definitely wasn't what he wanted and didn't make him happy. I don't know when the fic was set of course, but souled I'm not sure he'd be willing to go there again on that basis either, he has more sense of self-worth perhaps.

I see Heroes in Hell is by the same author, so I'm not expecting a lot of Spuffy, but she is a good writer, so I'm going to give it a go.
    I don't remember it not being Spuffy, I just didn't think the ending was great (but not in any way that was negative to Spuffy that I recall). I think I'd have said it was better than average, particularly the first two thirds ish perhaps, but it's a long time since I read it.

I've only just read the first chapter of But Where Have All the Wings Gone, and it's already making me smile. I'm enjoying the break from serious/angsty.
    Last edited by Stoney; 20-01-18 at 02:13 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (20-01-18),Priceless (20-01-18)

Thanks

I don't think it's something either of them show any inclination to want to have in canon, so it will always be a characterisation stretch/warping for me. Establishing more to it than there was (I'm assuming) is hardly exploring a canon relationship Spike had, it's deepening/embellishing one the writer likes the idea of. Being around Buffy/Angel or somehow accepting them to still be with Buffy wouldn't be totally out of character though, he did that for a couple of decades ish with Angel/Dru, but it definitely wasn't what he wanted and didn't make him happy. I don't know when the fic was set of course, but souled I'm not sure he'd be willing to go there again on that basis either, he has more sense of self-worth perhaps.
    This fic was set about a year after the end of AtS S5, so Spike is soulled. I've always thought Spangel is canon, they reference it once at least, and they are vampires so I don't imagine any sexual connection is frowned upon. Spike does have a different perspective than Angel about such things but I imagine that William knew very little about any form of sex, he seemed to lead a very sheltered life before he was turned, so it's hard to say what a soulful Spike would be like sexually and whether it would differ from the soulless Spike. But I think of vampires as pan-sexual and then some

I do agree that souled Spike couldn't stand to see Angel and Buffy together, even if he loved both of them. His love is all consuming and he could survive on anger and jealousy when soulless, but I think it would destroy him to see the person he loved with another.

I shall read Heroes because I think the writer is a good story teller, but I am prepared for an unhappy ending

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (20-01-18)

Sunnydale High Student GoSpuffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Why do you see it as unhappy ending? I thought it was rather fitting myself.

The writer was all about balance and not falling into the trap that a lot of fanfic writers have done in the past of writing down, or writing up there certain characters suit their own shipping agenda.
    Because a happy spuffy ending ALWAYS ends with Spike and Buffy together. Even if one of them is dead. There is a choice and the choice is always spuffy.
    I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Yesterday),Spuffyfreak (20-01-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Oh dear, well that narrows the field then. Is this just a thread for Spuffy/shipping recs only then, because If so thats a shame.

Sunnydale High Student GoSpuffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh dear, well that narrows the field then. Is this just a thread for Spuffy/shipping recs only then, because If so thats a shame.
    When will I learn no one can tell I'm joking? Sorry! I think most of us are open to reading any well written fan fic. Vampire winter was definitely well written and an enjoyable story. Most of the current readers on here are spuffies and as such we gravitate to those stories. Not everyone reads every story because of time constraints and personal preferences. There is no reason we can't share this thread with a group reading any other stories. It's quite enjoyable to see other people's perspectives when reading together. I like to think the other readers brains are going to rub off on me and make me smarter. And funnier. And more able to express myself. (I'm looking at all of you!)
    I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Yesterday),Silver1 (20-01-18),Stoney (20-01-18)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Read it (Heroes) - admittedly with one eye closed 'cos these glasses are useless! I enjoyed it! Can't think of anything profound or interesting to say. I could say "characterization and dialogue was believable as was the psychological make-up of the characters" but that sounds boring. I'll wait until others post and feed of their reviews like a parasite. I now have to find and watch The Exorcist. Alternatively...I could read another story!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (20-01-18),Priceless (Yesterday)

Thanks

it isn't truly something that is a fic ingredient we as a group are seeking, ha.
    We have finally found a name for our little group - "The Seekers of the Talking Penis"

Is this just a thread for Spuffy/shipping recs only then, because If so thats a shame.
    We read a great variety of fics, but most of them are about Buffy and Spike and their relationship. But we are willing to try different things, so please rec more stories. This thread is not only about recommending stories though, but also about reading and discussing them.

I have finished Vampire Winter. To me it is a very mixed bag. I agree with Pricey, that the setting in Rome was beautiful. I liked Rome being made into a winter wonderland. I absolutely disliked Fabrizio. He was one more of those countless fanfic Immortals, who have a cheesy italian name, sleek black hair and act like a Mafia Boss or a 21st century Lorenzo di Medici.

I thought Angel was captured really good. But Buffy felt somehow shallow and Spike was almost unrecognizable. He was grumpy at first and insecure on second sight, but we saw nothing else of his character.

I can understand, why both came to Rome and I can understand, why they came to meet Buffy. I can also understand, that Buffy wanted to have sex with Angel. That scene was not awkward at all. But that she was fantasizing about a threesome while having sex with Angel.......hmmmmm. And that she jumped Spikes bones just hours after he left, without even showering....worse. But that Spike told her repeatedly, he does not want to have sex with her and she was still jumping his bones, made me roll my eyes.

I can accept, that both Angel and Spike left and went to Africa, to fulfill their plan, but why did she not go with them ? It`s not, that she had anything else to do. Except maybe look after Connor.

But what I could not buy, is that Angel and Spike suddenly have a sexual (romantic?) relationship. They fought as comrades in NFA, they lost almost every friend they had and though I can see Spike and Angel staying together after that, why would one of them suddenly feel the need or desire for a sexual realtionship ? It comes out of the blue and it is in no way explained. How did it start ? What do they feel ? To me that part felt not authentic or plausible.

For once I want to be a bossy know-all as well and point out, that hey could not have skated on the Tiber, because it was snowig heavily and the snow on the ice would have made it impossible, to skate there.

It was a very well written story and I didn`t mind, that we did not get a happy Spuffy ending. But this story had several other flaws and I would not give it more than a 6/10.

I am going to start Heroes in Hell tomorrow !
    Will you just hold me ?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (20-01-18),Priceless (Yesterday),Stoney (20-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    This fic was set about a year after the end of AtS S5, so Spike is soulled. I've always thought Spangel is canon, they reference it once at least, and they are vampires so I don't imagine any sexual connection is frowned upon. Spike does have a different perspective than Angel about such things but I imagine that William knew very little about any form of sex, he seemed to lead a very sheltered life before he was turned, so it's hard to say what a soulful Spike would be like sexually and whether it would differ from the soulless Spike. But I think of vampires as pan-sexual and then some
    Yes they do reference it, it is canon that something happened once, but the reference limits it. To write an elaborate history/background (when that happens in a fic) then actually contradicts what canon has said (so far, that could always change of course) but that is where canon is at with it as it currently stands. So, by canon, Spangel was an isolated incident of some sort and was stated as such, and so it was an experience that one or both of them chose to not repeat. I'd agree any sexual liaison wouldn't be frowned upon in vampiric society and so, for me, it's even more telling that Spike and Angel both in canon have always opted to have hetrosexual relationships. They certainly present as having a clear preference in canon rather than presenting as having limitless options as they've zero boundaries/preference. I've read fics that have discussed an abusive history between Spike and Angel and that seems plausible in domination/vamp hierarchy terms to me. That's also something that would explain why it would be something hidden (as the 'one time' would be made to be a lie) and also not reflective of their romantic choices. But writing an actively sexual history between them that was welcome is changing canon in a way I don't find fits their interactions or their characters. To me. I also think sexual identity is a really touchy topic and some groups have sought recognition for even just the validity of their preferences for so many years (still are in many places/ways), that writing it as being easily changed/flexible for characters that have not actually shown the wish to be so, it just feels wrong to me. I just don't like it. It's the same if someone who identifies as being gay is pushed into hetro relationships in fanfics, that isn't part of who they are and it's so personal a choice and such a major characterisation shift to me. Just personal preference.

My feelings on how Spike would differ souled is just that he would be less likely to accept a situation that he disliked, as he did with accepting Angel/Dru, as readily. I think he has more social boundaries yes, but I think it is more about having a greater self worth in not accepting something that isn't what he wants to have (rather than it being about separate sexual preferences when souled, that wasn't what I meant).

The thread isn't Spuffy specific, but most fics state what pairings they cover and so that shouldn't be a problem for people to decide what they want to read. I wouldn't want to read a non Spuffy story personally (although 'other' relationships before they get together don't bother me), but others are free to discuss/share recs for other pairings.
    Last edited by Stoney; 20-01-18 at 10:38 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Yesterday)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

But this story had several other flaws and I would not give it more than a 6/10.
    Blimey. This fic was very highly thought of at the time, but hey times change. Glad I didn't link the author to this thread now as she's a member of this forum.

And 'not the gay' in fics. Check.

Thanks

What can I say, we have always been bad..... ;-)

And by the way, 6/10 ist not even a bad ranking. We have had rankings worse than that and we have had stories, we did not even finish !

I just want to clarify, that I do not mind a Spike/Angel relationship in a fic at all. But there has to be a story to it. It shouldn`t come out of the blue.

And this fic is very well written. The plot is brilliant and the setting is beautiful. It has many Qualities. I am not saying, it is a bad Story. But in my humble opinion, it does have flaws as well. I think I named some. It is still a good fic. And I am actually looking forward to reading Heroes.
    Will you just hold me ?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Stoney (20-01-18)

Thanks

And 'not the gay' in fics. Check.
    I really don't think it's fair to say that this is the case and it doesn't even actually fit the comments that have been made about the fic by those that chose to read it or about the reservations of Spike/Angel by others to present it as being anti-slash or gay, not at all.

It might be worth setting up a separate Spuffy specific reading group if there are those that don't want to read a variety of pairings. There are so many stories being read concurrently now too that it makes it harder to follow the comments/discussion about a specific story as it's mixing amongst so many others. As this thread hasn't been made pairing specific it can specifically be used for recommending and reading various canon and non-canon pairings.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Yesterday),Spuffyfreak (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I really don't think it's fair to say that this is the case and it doesn't even actually fit the comments that have been made about the fic by those that chose to read it or about the reservations of Spike/Angel by others to present it as being anti-slash or gay, not at all.

It might be worth setting up a separate Spuffy specific reading group if there are those that don't want to read a variety of pairings. There are so many stories being read concurrently now too that it makes it harder to follow the comments/discussion about a specific story as it's mixing amongst so many others. As this thread hasn't been made pairing specific it can specifically be used for recommending and reading various canon and non-canon pairings.
    All the thumbs up there. I am not interested in reading any other pairings than Spuffy regardless of any sexuality and I still want to be able to keep up with my reading group without making any newcomer feel unwelcoming or to get mocked for my preferences. If its allowed I would like to join you guys on another more specific thread

Thanks

I'd rather just read Spuffy fic too, so maybe it would be wise to start a new thread. People can read fics from both (or all) threads, but at least it would keep the types of fics organised

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Spuffyfreak (Yesterday)

Thanks

I've started the separate Spike/Buffy thread and hopefully that will stop anyone feeling restricted in what fics they can recommend/discuss here. There really is so much variety in fandom and so many talented fanfic writers it is great to encourage participation in reading any/all. So fics of any other canon, non-canon or multiple pairings can be brought here.

I've taken Heroes in Hell over to that thread and But Where Have All the Wings Gone too. Obviously everyone is welcome to post and join in either or both threads. If any new fics are brought to this thread and you'd like a link adding to the first post feel free to drop me a message and I'll pop one on.
    Last edited by Stoney; Yesterday at 02:15 AM.

Thanks

I can't help feeling, that I am being brushed off here, but if you do wish for a separate thread, just go ahead an have fun.
    Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I can't help feeling, that I am being brushed off here, but if you do wish for a separate thread, just go ahead an have fun.
    Not at all! It's the age old issue of trying to make sure everyone is happy and not getting it right for everyone I'm afraid. I don't want anyone to feel that they can't/shouldn't suggest fics that have 'other' relationships alongside Spuffy or other pairings as the main focus, that it was only a Spike/Buffy thread. But a good number are actually only interested in reading specific Spike/Buffy fics so having a separate thread for them which leaves the general one open for people to feel more free/able to suggest stories with multiple/other pairings seemed logical. It wasn't in any way supposed to make anyone feel brushed off, but in fact just not restricted here. And everyone can go on both threads if they want to anyway.
    Last edited by Stoney; Yesterday at 11:26 AM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (Yesterday),GoSpuffy (Yesterday)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Right then.

The Night Before Christmas

Rating: PG-13, shading into R but only for language

Pairing: None as such, Spike and Dawn sort-of friendship

Setting: Sunnydale, Christmas Eve during season 5 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, between Triangle and Checkpoint

Spike has a seasonal encounter of the demonic kind
    http://distortingmirrors.notanothers...christmas.html

Spike vs Santa Claus: the Rematch

Rating: G

Setting: Angel Season 5, between Harm's Way and Soul Purpose

Pairing: Spike/Harmony UST

Spike encounters an old enemy at Christmas and mayhem ensues. A sequel to The Night Before Christmas
    http://distortingmirrors.notanothers...herematch.html

Mortality

Rating: G

Setting: An unnamed eastern European city in late winter. This story makes vague reference to BtVS season 8 comics continuity but it's not necessary to have read the comics to understand it. All that needs to be remembered is that the last time Giles saw Ethan Rayne, he was being taken into custody by the Initiative

Pairing: None as such but very, very vague mentions of Giles/Ethan

Alone in a strange city, Giles must come to terms with Ethan's death.
    http://distortingmirrors.notanothers...mortality.html
    Last edited by Silver1; Today at 08:22 PM.