Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Podcasts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 752 Posts

Completely agree Buffy is a bad liar. She does lie ineffectually in many situations in S6. But somehow, I didn't find any of Stasia's responses very "Buffy-like" at all Just my initial impressions, I may change my mind if I go back to all the earlier episodes. Mileage varies, but for me there's a pointed contrast between her responses and canon Buffy's. Although, I do find the contrast often interesting! But it's just how I feel. But as Priceless and you say, she doesn't know what to expect and couldn't predict it would go this way, definitely.
    I don't know that she's supposed to try and capture her character - more like she supposed to try and live her life with limited context at times. I can accept as a thought experiment. In fact, it would be a great way to flesh out a character.

It's a fascinating podcast and that's why I've been starting to follow it. Thanks for the context! From what you've said about FFL, sounds really interesting! I'll have to check it out.
    I think it was FFL that got me hooked.

The "we" in the rebound question from Stasia was pretty telling -- I think she's really worried about how things are going to go between her and Spike. Collin was expanding so much on how he thought Willow's wasn't going to go cold turkey all of a sudden, and given the obvious parallels with Buffy's story I'm sure Stasia realises that it's also not going to be a one-time thing between her and Spike. And she's not liking the prospect one bit.

I'm also wondering now if James' and Mike's "forcing" Collin in Tabula Rasa to come clean about the memory spell wasn't a conscious strategy to put the spotlight on Willow's problems and divert attention from Buffy's, so that it would be easier for Stasia to keep Buffy's secrets.
    Yeah, it was definitely to help Stasia. But her magic problem was also about to get blown out of the water soon anyway. It fits the season to a degree. Worrying over Willow was part of what Buffy was able to hide behind. Had Willow not gone over the cliff then she would be joining in on the Buffy question, and Xander would have picked up on more.

So what is the reason that Rack is called Rack? I suppose their calling him Raiden is some kind of pop culture reference, but I have no clue who/what the reference is to, so that went completely over my head.
    Raiden is a character from Mortal Kombat. I think they were just grabbing for a familiar name because Raiden is a powerful god, according to google.

- - - Updated - - -

So will it drive Colin nuts - how they treat recovery from addiction? I can't wait until Seeing Red!
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (09-05-19),Priceless (10-05-19),SpuffyGlitz (09-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,706 Times in 3,693 Posts

OR - my other suggestion would be the "Tabula Rasa" one - you could try that out instead. Given the "memory loss" spell, that premise kind of anyway lends itself to this experiment a little better than any other episode - because the Scoobs and Spike are already supposed to have a clean slate for a temporary period. And they hire completely new people for the "tabula rasa spell" portion, and I found that bit of the commentary really interesting. (My two cents.)
    I would say Tabula Rasa wouldn't give you a true perspective on the show, and it's very different than most of the other episodes. It bought in a whole different cast to play the parts during the memory loss portion, and of course that wouldn't happen usually.

- - - Updated - - -

So what is the reason that Rack is called Rack? I suppose their calling him Raiden is some kind of pop culture reference, but I have no clue who/what the reference is to, so that went completely over my head.
    I've always assumed he was named Rack after the torture device. His purpose being to stretch Willow out of shape, to force her into excruciating positions psychologically/spiritually, to torture her. Of course that's only in my own head, I have no proof of that whatsoever

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_(torture)

- - - Updated - - -

Raiden is a character from Mortal Kombat. I think they were just grabbing for a familiar name because Raiden is a powerful god, according to google.
    Thanks for this, I didn't know where Raiden had come from.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (10-05-19),Stoney (10-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,122 Posts

I think the funniest episode was The Zeppo, both Stasia and Colin were completely confused!

I think the first episode I listened to was Prophecy Girl, and I get what Stoney means when she says that they're missing out tons of info. I was really upset about Stasia and Colin's negative reaction to Xander going to Angel's place. They were truly furious when they heard that Xander held a cross to Angel's face because Mike left out the part about Angel putting Xander down and refusing to help him save Buffy, Xander used the cross as a desperate attempt to get Angel to take him to The Master.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

bespangled (11-05-19),Priceless (10-05-19),SpuffyGlitz (10-05-19),Stoney (10-05-19)

Thanks

Anyone listened to Pop Culture Role Call Gone episode?

Spoiler:
    Really surprised that Mike mentioned Spike doing press ups in bed and how he was acting really weird. I thought Colin would totally get what was happening, but he didn't. I liked how Stasia didn't mention going to see Spike at all.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (24-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 504 Posts

Yes I listened to it.

Spoiler:
    At some point I thought he might skip over it as well, like Stasia, but he didn't. He even allowed himself a pun (which probably annoyed Stasia a lot) about "seeing Spike in the buff". Personally I think Collin is totally on to it, but is letting it slide for now.
    Last edited by Double Dutchess; 24-05-19 at 12:19 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (23-05-19)

Thanks

It's odd that for the previous few episodes Colin has been very suspicious about Buffy and Spike, and in this episode he's said nothing. So yes, I agree, I think Colin knows but they are trying to downplay it for the audience's sake

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (24-05-19)

Thanks

I just finished listening to Still Pretty's review on The Zeppo which I have enjoyed. I never knew though that Xander's line "I'm taking the flügelhorn and getting zero trim" is a sexist line. I admit that I never actually understood it. The whole scene was about Xander wanting to be cool and recognized for something he can do well, so I assumed the line meant that he used to play an instrument in eighth grade but it never made him cool.
    Made by Trickyboxes

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (01-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 752 Posts

Myth Taken is a Buffy podcast by two practising wiccans.I got some real insights listening to them talk about episodes I tend to skip. The guy has a doctorate in myths and legend, and posts in Slayage.The woman loves fanfiction and has written some. Her specialty is story telling and she comes from a different perspective..' (I suck at names - it's a thing.)

This is in the range of Lani Diane Rich, but more insightful.

The downside is they aren't through season one yet. Can't binge.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (01-06-19),Silver1 (01-06-19),thenewbuzwuzz (06-06-19),TriBel (01-06-19)

Thanks

Anyone hear the new Pop Culture Role Call of Doublemeat Palace?

Spoiler:
    Willow not immediately telling them about Amy giving her any magic was a good move. Colin did sound a bit suspicious telling his story, and Stasia did think magic was being used, though I believed her surprise when Colin reveals the truth. I really enjoy them all keeping secrets. Of course Stasia didn't mention the Spike sex either.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,063 Posts

Slayerfest98 does 'Once more with Feeling' complete with 'problematical Spike' remarks....

https://soundcloud.com/user-30221024...l-the-feelings

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 679 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Anyone hear the new Pop Culture Role Call of Doublemeat Palace?

Spoiler:
    Willow not immediately telling them about Amy giving her any magic was a good move. Colin did sound a bit suspicious telling his story, and Stasia did think magic was being used, though I believed her surprise when Colin reveals the truth. I really enjoy them all keeping secrets. Of course Stasia didn't mention the Spike sex either.
    Do you have a link to this episode? I can't seem to find it - for me they're still at Gone, there've been no new posts since then.
    Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.
    On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. -- Roy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 504 Posts

https://popculturerolecall.libsyn.com/

Where do you listen to them, SpuffyGlitz? I always use this link.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (05-06-19),SpuffyGlitz (05-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Slayerfest98 does 'Once more with Feeling' complete with 'problematical Spike' remarks....

https://soundcloud.com/user-30221024...l-the-feelings
    Everything Spike does is problematique to Slayerfest98

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (05-06-19)

Thanks

It's been ages since I've listened to Slayerfest98. The last episode was probably The Replacement. I was mighty annoyed when they criticized Xander for going to Willow for help.
    Made by Trickyboxes

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-06-19),Silver1 (05-06-19)

Thanks

What a strange little episode Role Call doing Dead Things was. They really didn't know what was going on and they half believe Buffy did kill Katrina as the ending was unsatisfactory from their pov, with nothing concrete confirmed.

Colin knows Spuffy is happening but I still like the others saying nothing. I still think he's going to be surprised by it when the scope of it is revealed to him in Entropy.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (08-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 679 Posts

Oh, I have to catch up! I haven't listened to Doublemeat Palace and didn't realise Dead Things was up.

I have no idea why they be ambiguous over whether Buffy murdered Katrina - it's not necessary for Stasia/ anyone to cover the reveal that it was Warren and not Buffy - there would be no need to hide/ lie that she wasn't the killer.

- - - Updated - - -

OK I'm going to try DD's link.

I tried my usual link: http://www.popculturerolecall.com/
    and it took me to Gone with no further posts.
    Another world is not only possible, she is on her way.
    On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. -- Roy

30. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (08-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
    Oh, I have to catch up! I haven't listened to Doublemeat Palace and didn't realise Dead Things was up.

I have no idea why they be ambiguous over whether Buffy murdered Katrina - it's not necessary for Stasia/ anyone to cover the reveal that it was Warren and not Buffy - there would be no need to hide/ lie that she wasn't the killer.
    Oh no, they all know and talk about Stasia not being the killer and the demons being time-changers (is there a better way of saying that lol?) but they aren't convinced. They are wondering if it's a bluff and they'll discover Buffy actually did kill Katrina. They see nothing of the Trio, they know nothing of how Katrina turns up in the woods, and although they know the demons have changed time, they can't not totally convinced someone else killed Katrina. It's a strange little episode.

- - - Updated - - -

I stopped listening to Buffering the Podcast, but they do have an interview with Seth Green which might be intersting, I've not listened to it myself yet. He's flogging a new film which he directed.

https://www.bufferingthevampireslaye...listen-section

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (08-06-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Just listened to Bufferings interview with Seth Green and tbh it felt a bit pointless. They didnt really ask or push on him leaving and whether he left because of him may or not have been given material. Seth mouthed and some cliches and that was it. Tbh it seemed like it was only done to promote his new movie.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Priceless (08-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BtVS fan View Post
    Just listened to Bufferings interview with Seth Green and tbh it felt a bit pointless. They didnt really ask or push on him leaving and whether he left because of him may or not have been given material. Seth mouthed and some cliches and that was it. Tbh it seemed like it was only done to promote his new movie.
    Yeah I stopped listening sort of half way through, when they started talking about his film. He didn't say much of real interest. I didn't like the DB story much, I bet it's one he tells whenever he's asked about Buffy, and to be honest I thought it was a bit gross.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (08-06-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Yeah I stopped listening sort of half way through, when they started talking about his film. He didn't say much of real interest. I didn't like the DB story much, I bet it's one he tells whenever he's asked about Buffy, and to be honest I thought it was a bit gross.
    Agreed I could've go my whole life without hearing that pooh story

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Priceless (08-06-19)