Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Podcasts

Thanks
    Thanked 8,663 Times in 4,167 Posts

I'd like to recommend 'Chosen' a new-ish Buffy podcast. One of the reviewers has never seen it before so it makes it really interesting to listen to a newbies opinion. She thought Dru and Angel were brother and sister at one point and is finding it all a bit confusing and off-putting

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (05-03-18),Silver1 (26-02-18),thenewbuzwuzz (15-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,951 Times in 1,646 Posts

The Sunnydale FanFic Club have put up their new Podcast Episode featuring OffYourBird and her fic "A Different Kind Of Hell":

http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/...dest_id/612464

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-02-18),Silver1 (26-02-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,210 Posts

I know this isn't a podcast, and some may have seen this already, but it basically serves the same function and I don't think this fits in the video thread. Imo a superb video essay that gets to the heart of why both BTVS and ATS work so well.

Highly recommended.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    The Sunnydale FanFic Club have put up their new Podcast Episode featuring OffYourBird and her fic "A Different Kind Of Hell":

http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/...dest_id/612464

flow
    OffYourBird (Katie) sounds really nice, and spoke so enthusiastically about fanfics. They asked both my questions, feel like I've had a brush with fame now

Congratulations to the February fanfic challenge winner! I don't want to spoil it but it's a great story
    Spoiler:
    Dawnstasia by WillowFromBuffy
    and I think the writer is really talented.

I intend to read Control by Ambut, if anyone else is up for it? It's Willow/Giles and that relationship intrigues me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (26-02-18),Willow from Buffy (02-03-18)

Thanks

I know this isn't a podcast, and some may have seen this already, but it basically serves the same function and I don't think this fits in the video thread. Imo a superb video essay that gets to the heart of why both BTVS and ATS work so well.
    I have followed Passion of the Nerd`s episode reviews for quite a while now, but I hadn`t watched this. I don`t even know, how I could have missed it. It really is superb. Thank you for sharing <3.

flow

ETA: Still Pretty has her review for Storyteller up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBbxlFnbIOM

And Passion of the Nerd his review for The I In Team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euBDgqziM4I

I was never a huge fan of storyteller, but Lani Diane Rich made that Episode more intersting to me.

Passion of the Nerd said "I need brain bleach" referring to Riley "sexy" face.
    Last edited by flow; 27-02-18 at 07:45 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (26-02-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

For those interested in such things (like me) Passion of the nerd is currently doing a live stream/chat about the editing one of his video essays, this time the Angel episode 'She' with comparisons to other Buffy episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Sq94ku4u8
    Last edited by Silver1; 02-03-18 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,095 Times in 805 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I'd like to recommend 'Chosen' a new-ish Buffy podcast. One of the reviewers has never seen it before so it makes it really interesting to listen to a newbies opinion. She thought Dru and Angel were brother and sister at one point and is finding it all a bit confusing and off-putting
    I was going to rec them too - Marissa - the newbie - is great. She was stunned to find out Angel was a vampire! And there is no Xander hate here, which is a refreshing change.

So right now she is a Bangel - and she has one more podcast before Surprise and Innocence! Her friend Mel, the other podcaster, is afraid that Marissa will hate her forever!

Chosen
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-03-18),Silver1 (05-03-18),Sosa lola (05-03-18),thenewbuzwuzz (15-07-18)

Thanks

So right now she is a Bangel - and she has one more podcast before Surprise and Innocence! Her friend Mel, the other podcaster, is afraid that Marissa will hate her forever!
    I really enjoy podcasts when one or more of the reviewers have never seen the show, to see where their allegiances lie an what changes over the course of the watch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I really enjoy podcasts when one or more of the reviewers have never seen the show, to see where their allegiances lie an what changes over the course of the watch.
    This is the best part. I tend to listen to a few podcasts and a newbie like Marissa is rare!

Also the Chosen tumblr is fun - Mel has made a few great memes.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,190 Posts

I like Lani Diane Rich - not because of what she says (I rarely listen) but because she exists and it winds some people up. Yay! I'm priding myself in my pettiness.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

bespangled (07-03-18),Priceless (06-03-18)

Thanks

I've just found Hush: A Buffy Podcast. It's an Irish podcast reviewing the show from episode 1. They're a husband and wife team and they've only done two episodes, so it's hard to judge how good they are, but I enjoyed the first episode.

They've had a mention in The Irish Times, who seemed to like them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...cast-1.3415725

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (08-03-18),Silver1 (08-03-18)

Thanks

Limerick based?! I'm assuming this is the place and not the rhymes. Gonna have to find that.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (09-03-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Passion of the nerd's just uploaded his take on 'Goodbye Iowa'. God, I was up for 6 hours last night watching him edit this on a live stream whilst talking about the show. Love his 'Riley sex face' sound effect.

Highly recommended as per.
    Last edited by Silver1; 20-03-18 at 10:33 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

bespangled (20-03-18),Priceless (20-03-18)

Thanks

Chosen just finished Phases &Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered. On Thursday they will be talking about Passion. I love this time in a newbie's watch through. Right now Marissa think the show will wave a maguffin and Angel will just be god again. Seeing him kill Jenny was a huge shock to me in my first viewing. I think that was when I realized this was not going to be the average teen horror show - that it would deal with real horror.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-03-18),Silver1 (20-03-18)

Thanks

I really enjoy Chosen, it's become one of the better podcasts out there.

I'm going off Buffy Speak as one of the reviewers just yawns throughout every episode! It's so off putting and annoying. I don't know if it's nerves or if she's just tired

I wish more older people did podcasts, there would be less giggling

- - - Updated - - -

https://thesunnydalefanficclub.com/contests/

The April Fanfic contest for the Sunnydale Fanfic Club. Really hope there are some on here that are fic writers and they
    feel like they can submit a story! How to submit is in the link
    Guidelines for April Fanfic Contest!
    1. The theme for April is Rain.

2. Must be newly written! Our goal is to create more & new Buffy fanfiction content. Buffy is one of the largest fanfiction genres on the internet, but we want to make it #1!

3. One Submission per person.

4. The Challenge Object Needs to make an appearance: The Challenge Object for this month is the BROKEN YOGURT MACHINE. Do not toss this object away in one sentence. Try your best to embrace it.

NO WORD MINIMUM.

DUE DATE FOR THIS CONTEST IS APRIL 23rd at Midnight P.S.T.
    Winner will be announced April 30th.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (20-03-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Slayerfest 98's take on season 3's 'Enemies' is up.

https://soundcloud.com/user-30221024...-friday-part-1

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (20-03-18)

Thanks

I justed watched it and it was POTN at his best. I loved it. I loved, what he said about Spike not being a truth-teller but a manipulator. That is - but of course he said it better, than I ever could - , what I meant, when I mentioned on the Lies My Parents Told Me thread, that Spike does not tell people something about them, that is true,m but he tells them something, that is their own fear.

I also loved, what he said about us not being static but being within the flow of time.

flow

flow

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (23-03-18),vampmogs (24-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I justed watched it and it was POTN at his best. I loved it. I loved, what he said about Spike not being a truth-teller but a manipulator. That is - but of course he said it better, than I ever could - , what I meant, when I mentioned on the Lies My Parents Told Me thread, that Spike does not tell people something about them, that is true,m but he tells them something, that is their own fear.

I also loved, what he said about us not being static but being within the flow of time.

flow

flow
    I think POTN missed the point that you can only be a good manipulator if you understand people well enough to know what's going to hurt them. I got the impression that he thinks Spike doesn't understand people, whereas the opposite is true. He also doesn't get that the writers are setting them up as a couple going forward, which is why all the innuendo and relationship talk, it's to associate them and 'relationships/sex/romance' in our heads. Why do they talk about each others love lives/partners etc. otherwise.
    Last edited by Priceless; 22-03-18 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks

I did not think, he wanted to say that Spike does not understand People at all. I think, he was presuming, that you can only manipulate someone, if you have insight into that person`s personality and fears. Spike clearly has that.

But he is at this point - in season 4 - not using it, to "help" people, get to know themselves better. He is using it as a weapon. He actually still uses it as a weapon in season 7, when he tells Robin, that his mother did not love him enough to quit as a slayer.

I am not saying, he wasn`t justified, to do that. He was fighting for his life. But I don`t think, it is true, that Nikki did not love Robin, I think, it was Robin`s innermost fear, that she did not love him.

As for the writers setting Spike and Buffy up as a couple - I don`t think, the writers deliberately went there back in season four. I think, they still went for Riley and Buffy as a couple. I remember JM saying once, that he was told by JW after the finale of season five, that Spike and Buffy would be a thing and JM also said, that he was totally surprised by that.

I think, that a lot of the innuendos, we see nowadays are more a proof for the chemistry between SMG and JM than for the foreplanning of the writers.

We have talked about the cheek streaks in season 2 some time ago (different time, different place.....) Do you remember that thread ? To me those cheek streaks are a proof, that Spike and Buffy were meant for each other from the very first Episode in which they ever met on.

But I also know, that it was already settled back then, that Spike would be killed by Angelus in the very same season. So, why did they use those cheek streaks ? It can`t have been deliberately, or if, they can`t have meant to make a connection between Spike and Buffy.

flow

- - - Updated - - -

And thanks to POTN I finally know, whom Adam always reminded me of. He-man, of course ! How could I not recognize him ?

flow

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

betta (26-03-18),Silver1 (23-03-18),vampmogs (24-03-18)

Thanks

I did not think, he wanted to say that Spike does not understand People at all. I think, he was presuming, that you can only manipulate someone, if you have insight into that person`s personality and fears. Spike clearly has that.
    You could be right flow, but I don't get that from what he says:

Spike is still present and as ever anxious to comment on Buffy and her taste in men [Ian doesn't explain why he's anxious 'as ever' - for me it's the way to build up the relationship in the audiences eyes, but Ian doesn't actually explain what he means by the 'as ever']

Whatever your feelings about Riley of Parker I think it's important to keep in mind that Spike's commentary on Buffy's personal life sometimes feels like it has a whiff of truth to it [well nope, not to me, it feels like it's got a whole lot of truth to it] but that's because Spike's a manipulator and knows the best places to stab at Buffy are the things she already fears about herself [to me this means Spike is reading her pretty damn well, probably better than any of the scoobies. By using the phrase 'whiff of truth' Ian makes it sound as though there is no truth at all in what Spikes says, and I disagree with that]

Spike speaks enough truth to seduce Buffy into a bit of the old self-hatred but I think it's important in our reading of the show to distinguish between truth and his manipulations. [Ian doesn't explain why Spike needs Buffy to be self-hating or why he is using her love life to make her feel that way. He could bring up her issues with her father, or Joyce who she kept secrets from, he could bring up her lack of intelligence, how she's only at a 'communtiy college' etc. there are so many other ways to undermine Buffy, but nope, he brings up her love life. Ian uses the word 'seduce', which I wonder if that's deliberate, or if he's just picking up the vibe from the season, that it's really about Spike seducing Buffy, and the writers seducing the audience into this romance]

I don't deny Spike tries to be a manipulator. But he's never been very good at it. He's simply not Machiavellian enough, he lacks patience and doesn't want to put any real effort into it. I do not think he's deliberately trying to manipulate Buffy - if so, at this point, to what end? He is currently relying on her for protection and sanctuary, it would only undermine his position to deliberately undermine Buffy.

I think he knows her and is speaking his truth to her, he believes every word he says, just as I think he believes every word he says to Robin Wood. I think Ian is giving him far too much credit. Spike is one for direct action, violence, physicality, very much like Buffy, he doesn't go in for the psychology of it all.

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to mention that Tiny Fences made it to the finish line. They are one of the very few Buffy podcasts who made it all the way through from Welcome to the Hellmouth to Chosen. It took three years, so that's a massive commitment, so well done to them!