Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Podcasts

Thanks
    Thanked 13,810 Times in 5,722 Posts

Well everything that follows is based on him having sought his soul and that being his arc's trajectory onwards towards heroic sacrifice. They'll just find it hard to 'get' his path and what the next season is showing if they refuse despite all evidence and ongoing support in the text that he went for his soul and writers stating he was always doing so. They can I suppose just decide he's lying but when him seeking and fighting for his soul is a repeated reference that isn't questioned and a failed attempt to remove the chip isn't mentioned at all (not even when the plot of having the chip removed comes up!) they're just being blinkered to the point of wilfully not trying to follow the intended story or understand the character/his arc. Their loss imo.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,087 Times in 1,700 Posts

Well, he was acting selfishly of course and only wanted to get back into Buffy's pants. That's why there is absolutely no arc for him whatsoever. This Kind of (non-) understanding will of course completely fall apart with Spike's sacrifice in the hellmouth but then the show is over and they won't have to explain that. Problem successfully avoided. Sorry, I am a bit bitter about this. One of those people running the podcast writes canon (!) Buffy books.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-07-19),Silver1 (10-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Well, he was acting selfishly of course and only wanted to get back into Buffy's pants. That's why there is absolutely no arc for him whatsoever. This Kind of (non-) understanding will of course completely fall apart with Spike's sacrifice in the hellmouth but then the show is over and they won't have to explain that. Problem successfully avoided. Sorry, I am a bit bitter about this. One of those people running the podcast writes canon (!) Buffy books.
    Who is that then? Things that are officially produced or licensed tend to not have bias, but it also doesn't make them canon.

It is frustrating when people completely dismiss what the writers are aiming for regardless of any facts/information. But it just ends up looking ludicrous. To really believe such a large amount of the next season was spent on examining the changed relationship between Buffy and Spike that isn't even physical but mutually supportive rather than abusive was all based about 'getting into her pants' even though that isn't the relationship onscreen or the story that's told is, as I said, just blinkered. Yes in many ways Spike was acting selfishly in going for his soul, his concern being about what he felt Buffy wanted/needed and because he thought it would fix things, but this is from a reduced unsouled perspective and he doesn't know what it really means and the difference it will make until he is souled. Deciding he was going for his chip out regardless of anything/everything that is said following and also from the writers is a whole different thing.

Granted I haven't listened to the podcast and have no intention of doing so, but I can understand why you feel frustrated. You can't make people like the stories or characters, but entirely dismissing author intent when you're so far off the mark on what was being written is always going to lead to disconnection to the ongoing story and poor interpretation as everything is twisted to try to fit a preconceived/ridged pov that isn't the direction being written. I mean Angel's perspective when he says to Spike it was just about trying to sleep with Buffy is about trying to drag him down and belittle something he'd done in getting his soul that made Angel feel insecure. Context is always so important. As Spike said to him at the start of AtS5 Angel really didn't know what they had and Spike didn't even know Angel was deliberately ignoring what Buffy herself had told him about Spike, because he was trying to undermine him in the fight at that moment with an emotional weapon. Spike doesn't defend it but adds to the perception in what he says of course, but that's because he isn't going to make himself more vulnerable to Angel's barbs. Just consider the flashback that's supposed to be informing the viewers' understanding of their dynamic over such things with what happened regarding opening his hopes for him/Dru to Angel in the past. Plus of course he's not only being defensive/guarded but hitting back too. It's pretty ugly from them both. Anyway, haters are gonna hate and all that, but these issues are shallowing the story/characters in doing so. Try to shrug it off because it really is their loss as so much of what S7 shows is based on Spike's heroic journey and positive relationship with Buffy.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (10-07-19),Priceless (10-07-19),Silver1 (10-07-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,228 Posts

Well to be fair she replied, even If Slayerfest hasn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh god Slayerfest is now kicking off like he's done in past and playing victim. I can't speak for what others have said to him on twitter, but they can't seem to take the slightest bit of criticism. What was said to this women is completely unknown to me I'm afraid, and I don't count my interaction with her as being rude?
    Last edited by Silver1; 10-07-19 at 04:59 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

flow (10-07-19),Priceless (10-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,270 Posts

Oh god Slayerfest is now kicking off like he's done in past and playing victim. I can't speak for what others have said to him on twitter, but they can't seem to take the slightest bit of criticism.
    Good for Kirsten White! At least she replied and was honest, and her interpretation is as valid as anyone elses (although I don't agree with it)

Now I'm going to have to go follow Slayerfest to see what's happening. Whiney babies . . . has he mentioned he went to Rutgers yet

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (10-07-19)

Thanks

Kiersten White's Slayer book isn't canon flow, if that was what you were thinking about?? If I recall correctly it was said that she was looking to write it in line with canon, but it isn't canon because of that. I also vaguely remember thinking some things in the released sample pages didn't work well with canon either, but I can't remember any specifics so might be mistaken.

Anyway, her reply on this was fair. I admit to struggling with giving equal credit to interpretations that go against authorial intent and that also don't fit what follows, generally and in this instance, but she is holding her hands up to that. It just makes me wonder why she doesn't just realign/reconsider. But then she might just be referring to how she first interpreted it before more was revealed at the start of S7 and what was said by the writers etc afterwards/since. I don't know as I'm not reading/listening to any of it. If Slayerfest are kicking off because fans are disagreeing with them they may want to reconsider posting in public places where people will read/respond. Have they watched the show before and know where it is going/what follows?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-07-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

If Slayerfest are kicking off because fans are disagreeing with them they may want to reconsider posting in public places where people will read/respond.
    Thats what I told them, and they just ignored me as per.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,087 Times in 1,700 Posts

Stoney: Okay, I am happy the books are not real canon, but still...to even be allowed to write and publish a book that has got the name Buffy on the cover and misinterpret such an important part of Spike's journey...

I do acknowledge that she finally came round but the earlier discussion on twitter was repeated on a fb group and people had twittered quotes by Joss, Marti and David stating clearly and without any room for misinterpretation that Spike went to get his soul and those posts got simply deleted. I am glad everything boiled down now. I can really live with that but it just irritated me that Posts that were nothing but quotes from the showrunners got deleted because they didn't fit with the podcasts view on Spike.

Thanks, silver1, for not giving up on stating the facts. I am glad it finally got through.

And by the way, it's not cool to try to make this a "Spuffy" fight. "Ahh, don't we all know those crazy Spuffy fans, they are far too passionate about this....yaddayadayadah..."" But this has nothing to do with a pairing or me being a Spuffy fan. I want them to not bend canon because I am a BtVS fan firstly and mostly.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-07-19),Silver1 (10-07-19),Stoney (11-07-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,971 Times in 760 Posts

What was said to this women is completely unknown to me I'm afraid, and I don't count my interaction with her as being rude?
    You were being rude. Your No love sounds incredibly condescending and Yes we get you all think his characters a big problem... is unnecessarily combative and aggressive. You could've easily communicated the same message without being so caustic.

Thats what I told them, and they just ignored me as per.
    You don't say. I mean, I ignore you whenever you're being a toxic witch and I'm accustomed to your antics and whatnot. I know you're not a troll. Those podcast people? Not so much, I figure.

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    You were being rude. Your No love sounds incredibly condescending and Yes we get you all think his characters a big problem... is unnecessarily combative and aggressive. You could've easily communicated the same message without being so caustic.

You don't say. I mean, I ignore you whenever you're being a toxic witch and I'm accustomed to your antics and whatnot. I know you're not a troll. Those podcast people? Not so much, I figure.
    As per you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Sorry.

Imo I was polite and this women liked what I said afterwards and I liked her follow up comment. Slayerfest though have a history of reacting really badly to even the slightest criticisms or saying anything to them that doesn't fit into their personal views of the characters. And not just in a subtle way either as I can testify in the past with their "stick It up your ass" comments to me in the past.

As others on here have said If they don't want feedback they should either state that on their broadcasts or just don't do them at all. Imo everything thats put out there for public consumption can be commented on, and are they so precious that they are somehow exempt?

I ignore you whenever you're being a toxic witch and I'm accustomed to your antics and whatnot
    Dito!
    Last edited by Silver1; 11-07-19 at 10:34 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

bespangled (12-07-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Just listened to chipperish media review of Choices and it's not the greatest. It sounds like Noelle doesn't even want to do it and is just sat there forced to agree with Lani

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BtVS fan View Post
    Just listened to chipperish media review of Choices and it's not the greatest. It sounds like Noelle doesn't even want to do it and is just sat there forced to agree with Lani
    God yes! That's exactly how I've felt for a while now. Noelle and Lani don't have any chemistry at all. I've had to stop listening as it's too painful Noelle does that false laugh, as though she's trying to keep Lani sweet. I prefer Doctor Kelly from the Angel podcast, she should do them both.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (11-07-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    God yes! That's exactly how I've felt for a while now. Noelle and Lani don't have any chemistry at all. I've had to stop listening as it's too painful Noelle does that false laugh, as though she's trying to keep Lani sweet. I prefer Doctor Kelly from the Angel podcast, she should do them both.
    Some of the stuff she came out with "the strength it must take to stake someone" is just

I don't know why Lani stopped the Angel podcast. It was more fun and interesting. Like you say Dr Kelly was a better podcaster and it was a bit more fresher than simply doing BtVS again

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

bespangled (12-07-19),Priceless (12-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,199 Posts

I haven't heard the first Buffy podcast Lani did. I am listening to Still Pretty, but have stopped after Consequences, not because I hate it, but 'cause I haven't got the time to catch up. I don't get the sense that Noelle isn't interested, though.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 832 Posts

Pop Culture Role Call did a stellar job with Normal Again. Collin and Mike insisted certain small scenes that they were in with Stasia never happened. Then they had an interesting talk on the reality of the B-verse. I highly recommend

I gave up on Slayerfest a while ago - it is such a vanity podcast. Ian clearly wants to be THE GAY VOICE of BTVS which seem arrogant and presumptuous.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-07-19),Silver1 (12-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BtVS fan View Post
    Some of the stuff she came out with "the strength it must take to stake someone" is just

I don't know why Lani stopped the Angel podcast. It was more fun and interesting. Like you say Dr Kelly was a better podcaster and it was a bit more fresher than simply doing BtVS again
    I'm happy Lani is doing Buffy again, as she loves the show and I love listening to her. It's a pity that she chose the wrong partner. I was enjoying the Still Dead podcast and I don't know why she stopped doing it. Maybe they're waiting till Buffy has caught up?

- - - Updated - - -

I gave up on Slayerfest a while ago - it is such a vanity podcast. Ian clearly wants to be THE GAY VOICE of BTVS which seem arrogant and presumptuous.
    I gave up because of the Spike hate, I just couldn't stand how they either criticised him, or said nothing but praised everyone else in the scene

But I do like Ian, and most of his guests are pretty interesting, the conversation had depth and often bought up things I'd not thought about. I was really annoyed when I had to stop listening

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (12-07-19),Silver1 (12-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    Collin and Mike insisted certain small scenes that they were in with Stasia never happened.
    That didn't just confuse the **** out of Stasia, it also confused me. It's been too long since I watched the episode and I didn't remember if that scene was supposed to be part of Buffy's hallucinations, but I didn't think it was. So were Collin and Mike deliberately deceiving her about that? Why would they do that?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,199 Posts

What scene was it?
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 588 Posts

Buffy describing to Willow and Xander what had happened to her and what the demon looked like. I just don't get why they'd pretend that wasn't real.

Maybe there were other scenes where they did the same thing (bespangled seems to suggest there were more) but this is the only one I noticed.
    Last edited by Double Dutchess; 13-07-19 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks

I think the idea of experiencing this as the characters pretty much starts to fall apart as soon as they are discussing their scenes in ways the characters don't, hearing about a perception of scenes they weren't in second hand, but to also mislead/lie about scenes they shared is just plain weird. Perhaps they actually misunderstood which were hallucinations??

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (13-07-19)