Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Podcasts

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,547 Times in 1,209 Posts

This was actually hard to listen to because both Stasia and Colin have turned against Buffy and are questioning her killing of vampires when she doesn't know if they are truly evil or could be tamed in some way.
    Dear god, really?? Sorry but what a crap idea. This whole thing still boggles my mind.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (24-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 810 Posts

I didn't perceive or interpret the wrap up episode of S6 in quite the same way as Priceless's overview, but then I'm wary of commenting on it tbh because I'm afraid I'd inadvertently offend someone or other in this thread.
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 24-08-19 at 04:31 PM.
    buffylover made this stunning banner

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (24-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,634 Times in 4,155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
    I didn't perceive or interpret the wrap up episode of S6 in quite the same way as Priceless's overview, but then I'm wary of commenting on it tbh because I'm afraid I'd inadvertently offend someone or other in this thread.
    Don't worry about that SpuffyGlitz, I'm sure you couldn't offend anyone

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (24-08-19),Double Dutchess (24-08-19),SpuffyGlitz (24-08-19),Stoney (24-08-19)

Thanks

Do you guys actually listen to each one thru all the seasons, or just kinda skip around?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Do you guys actually listen to each one thru all the seasons, or just kinda skip around?
    I started listening late so I started in Season 5 but went back and listened to a lot of the old episodes. Now I listen to every one.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (26-08-19)

Thanks

Is there a word for 'podcast nerd'?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (25-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Is there a word for 'podcast nerd'?
    I think we just stick with podcast nerd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I think we just stick with podcast nerd

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (25-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 588 Posts

Stasia thinks Spike is doing some penance/ self flagellation and I don't think this will be enough for them to forgive him.
    Yeah, I expect she won't be as impressed as Buffy by Spike's brand new soul.

I'm sad that they didn't like Dawn and wish she'd been written out.
    Me too. Of course, many fans dislike Dawn so this is not exceptional. I've never understood the hate myself, though.

They aren't going to do a regular rewatch once they've finished, which I'm a bit disappointed about. They may do a rewatch or each season and talk about it and making it a Patreon. I have to say I would probably pay to hear them talk about seeing everything, although there is a feeling they're shaking down the fans
    I never expected them to do a rewatch one episode at a time; in fact I hadn't set my hopes any higher than one episode devoted to the whole rewatch. So I'm pretty excited that they're planning to do an episode for each season. Though it's true that that's really the minimum necessary to do a rewatch any kind of justice.

I've never paid for any podcasts (no clue how Patreon even works) but I'll happily pay for the rewatch episodes. I am so curious to see how their views will shift when they get to see everything. And I found their reasons to make it a Patreon pretty convincing.

This was actually hard to listen to because both Stasia and Colin have turned against Buffy and are questioning her killing of vampires when she doesn't know if they are truly evil or could be tamed in some way.
    I think they're mainly down on Buffy for how she treated Spike, but yes, that was part of it too. If Buffy is in the right for staking vampires at first sight is a very interesting question, and it's a discussion we've had here in the past too. On the one hand they do have a point, because if Spike can be chipped then why can't other vampires? But on the other hand I don't think they have really thought about things like the practical impossibility of it, or whether chipping is really more humane than staking.

What did you think of James' original idea for the podcast? Now THAT was really a crap idea I'm glad Mike shot it down. Though it did make me curious about that Garfield comic.

I started listening late so I started in Season 5 but went back and listened to a lot of the old episodes. Now I listen to every one.
    Same here, except I started listening in S4.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dutchess View Post

What did you think of James' original idea for the podcast? Now THAT was really a crap idea I'm glad Mike shot it down. Though it did make me curious about that Garfield comic.
    What was his original idea?

I listened to the podcast from S1, but stopped in the middle of S5. Mostly 'cause I'm busy with RL.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
    Yep, Stasia doesn't see (and thus can't narrate to Colin, who also doesn't see) any of Spike's interactions with Dawn or his later interaction with Clem in Seeing Red. She doesn't see or know about any of his trials in Africa through Villains, Two to Go and Grave. The only Spike-related scene post-the AR that Stasia has witnessed is when she goes to Spike's crypt with Dawn and hears from Clem that he's left.

The next time she will have a scene with Spike will be in the basement in Lessons. I don't actually think this is the best format of doing things, but since it's the premise of the whole podcast, I'm interested in how she will react to Spike in S7, since she knows nothing beforehand about the soul OR the "chip" misdirect.
    But she won't talk about it until Beneath You because there's the reveal that Buffy saw Spike and didn't tell anyone. It's in that way that we get a reaction from the other character's perspective. I suspect Dawn's line about Spike waking up on fire will do a lot to make everyone like her more. I think that did it for a lot of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I'm just saying it is odd to judge an episode's quality and speak of it in overall terms when you know you haven't seen the whole episode. Surely they must realise there's something that they've all missed that must be of significance in Grave.

When the idea was first brought up it sounded more as a role play idea. That through this they would try to 'be' the characters and be trying to put themselves into their shoes more intensely than viewers normally can/do because of the limited knowledge and tunnel vision. I thought it was supposed to be more about the character exploration because of that idea.

I mean, I don't agree that it gains something someone who has the full picture can't simply consider/imagine of each individual character point of view anyway as I've said, I think that it just limits understanding of the show, but I thought the gain was supposed to be a deeper character understanding. It just sounded like it was the viewer rather than character that was being mostly considered now.

Totally accept that could be my misunderstanding.
    It's not a role play, it's more D&D. In fact they have made some D&D jokes about characters having charisma points and Giles returning as a paladin.

It's not a typical review and react show but there are lots of those. It's a thought experiment. The season review was interesting because they were as hard on Buffy for beating Spike as they were on Spike for the AR. I haven't seen that before. Both domestic violence and sexual assault were discussed, and that's why they were hard on Buffy. At least now they see both as damaged, and committing damage. I think this comes from the intense view from a character's perspective. It was one of the people on the fb page that pointed the domestic violence out, and Stasia agreed she had skipped over it because she wanted to push it away but they should have taken it more seriously. There's also been talk of souls vs no souls on the fb page, and how souls mean something in this universe. I know - I posted it. She hasn't understood that yet.

The interesting thing about season 7 will be seeing how Stasia reacts to Spike getting a soul. That's such a dividing point for fans. Given that Stasia is already feeling guilt for what she did to Spike that might mean she'll be more willing to see his repentance. She might end up a Spuffy fan, or at least understanding why there are Spuffy fans. After the AR the existence of Spuffy fans really disturbed her. I'm also interested in how she will react to the growing tension and Empty Places. It's a horrible analogy but Stasia is like a Buffy petri dish. I am waiting to see what comes from everyone's experience in seasons 1-6 as they watch seven. Poor Mike - Xander had a minimal role because of NB"s drinking.

Game Of Thrones (ASOIAF) was written with each chapter in a different character POV. I know people who went through the books reading one person throughout. It brings insights insights into the character arc that get lost in the bigger story. This is how I see Pop Culture Role Call. I will definitely go for this Patreon, and I have never gone for one of those. I recced Angel and Orphan Black as the next possible shows.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (26-08-19),Priceless (26-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 810 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    But she won't talk about it until Beneath You because there's the reveal that Buffy saw Spike and didn't tell anyone. It's in that way that we get a reaction from the other character's perspective. I suspect Dawn's line about Spike waking up on fire will do a lot to make everyone like her more. I think that did it for a lot of fans.
    Oh you're right― this raises a new question: do you think Stasia will feel inclined to keep the soul revelation a secret, or continue to keep it to herself even after they cover Beneath You? I'm interested in the facebook comments Stasia has read -- I have no idea what they are or how she reacted to them! (I haven't checked out their facebook page yet.) I'm glad as a group that they seem to be responsive to comments from listeners and seem to take their points into account. Did she give any indication that she suspects he will seek out a soul? (I'm thinking probably not? Because in her eyes it would seem that a soul is something that is unheard of for a vampire to seek out for himself, perhaps she thinks it's impossible.) I thought she seemed to be coming to the conclusion that late S6 was mutually abusive (from the Spuffy standpoint) which seems fair at this stage.

Colin seemed to be predicting that the next season would feature redemptive arcs --- he reasons that Joss would not want the show to end with all the characters being unlikable/ morally questionable (people wouldn't buy the merchandise) so he was suggesting there might be a focus on redemption - basically he was saying nobody comes off in a good light this season: Willow, Spike, Buffy, Xander, even Dawn, they all come off at their worst. He seemed disappointed that Spike's development ended this way & went unaddressed (esp since Spike has been his favourite character.) Stasia seemed to be looking forward to the redemptive aspect of the next season I thought? I didn't catch the 'penance' comment but I thought she agreed with Colin that it might be a more 'healing' type of season for that reason? (I'm paraphrasing.) I started sporadically following this podcast from Tabula Rasa onwards, so I'm not sure of their overall positions on the characters.
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 26-08-19 at 03:29 AM.
    buffylover made this stunning banner

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Stasia said she thought Spike was off doing some sort of penance, either helping somewhere or hurting himself, and she didn't like it because she thought it was a manipulative way for the writers to convince everyone to forgive him. I can't see any reason for her to hide the soul - there's no big reveal to wait out. I'm sure that someone will bring up Angel and Angelus once she knows about the soul. What a soul means in terms of real redemption - I love that I will get to hear her thoughts as it all unfolds.

Colin was great on predicting...which kinda shows how influential the show has been.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    What was his original idea?
    Something about removing Buffy entirely from the show and then letting the other characters try to figure out what happened... Apparently someone made alternative versions of the Garfield comic doing the same thing. Fortunately Mike convinced him this would NOT make for a good podcast experience!

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    Colin was great on predicting...which kinda shows how influential the show has been.
    I really expected him to predict that Spike would get a soul, but he didn't -- nobody did.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-08-19),SpuffyGlitz (30-08-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

So...what kind of wrong/twisted impression is this group getting? None of what you're described is correct when It comes to the real show, so are they going to bother to learn how the story's were meant to pan out, or is that it?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (26-08-19)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    So...what kind of wrong/twisted impression is this group getting? None of what you're described is correct when It comes to the real show, so are they going to bother to learn how the story's were meant to pan out, or is that it?
    Agreed it was such a stupid idea. Lol are they even gonna carry it on for Spike in Angel S5

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (26-08-19)

Thanks

They're going to do a rewatch of the entire show (watching it the one and only "proper" way) after finishing S7. I do hope they will do AtS too, it's just so interesting and entertaining.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-08-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

To find they got a lot wrong?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    To find they got a lot wrong?
    Exactly. It's not a review. It's about getting it wrong and then learning. I remember in one of the first episodes they decided Giles might be a bit pervy, and then that he was weak and British, and now they know him. It's the process that's interesting. It reminds me of my first impressions at times. Right now they are freshly wounded at how horrible season 6 was for each of them. They're seeing the darkness they have in themselves, as the characters. They are struggling with having such morally grey characters. It's lovely. Pretty much all that I find compelling about season six is being discovered, shared, discussed in an unusual way.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-08-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

I'm sorry but I find It all utterly pointless. To me It's like reading a novel with half the pages torn out. I mean WTF?

There is already enough disagreement in fandom as to how to interpret the show and It's characters without blinkering people in this silly fashion. Apologies to those who love this format though.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

bespangled (26-08-19),BtVS fan (26-08-19)