Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Podcasts

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

I think Lani has better chemistry with Kelly Jones and there eviscerattion of Inside out and Shiny happy people is a delight to listen to

https://chipperish.com/2019/09/10/42...mine-s4-17-18/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,190 Posts

I listen to them occasionally, not all episodes. I like it, but I agree, they keep apologizing for anything they say that might be sensitive for some people. It's annoying sometimes.
    I'm vegan* and I'm deeply offended by your avatar**. Fish are for life - not just for Christmas.

*I'm not
    **I'm definitely not.

Just stop the world...I want to get off.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,668 Times in 4,168 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BtVS fan View Post
    I think Lani has better chemistry with Kelly Jones and there eviscerattion of Inside out and Shiny happy people is a delight to listen to

https://chipperish.com/2019/09/10/42...mine-s4-17-18/
    Agree about Lani and Kelly having better chemistry. Their 'Because Jasmine' episode is on my to-listen-to list. I don't agree with everything they say, but I've enjoyed Still Dead far more than Still Pretty

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (10-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I thought the reading of Anya/Xander they gave at the start, obviously apologising for something they'd said in a previous episode, was really interesting, but it does not wipe out any other reading of Anya and Xander's initial sexual encounter. Their apology seemed to suggest they now believe that this one reading was the only one of value, but their constant apologies mean they are so easily swayed, how can one believe they mean anything they say
    Their discussion of the Xander/Anya basement scene was the highlight of the previous episode and inspired me to open a thread about it. The part they're talking about here though was a discussion between them where Noelle felt uncomfortable with Anya's forward approach to having sex with Xander, especially Xander's reluctance, and she felt undecided whether she saw it as sexual assault or not (in this episode, she decides that it was) while Lani didn't see it that way, though she admitted that if roles were flipped and it was Xander who stripped naked in front of Anya, it would have been a different story.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I'm vegan* and I'm deeply offended by your avatar**. Fish are for life - not just for Christmas.

*I'm not
    **I'm definitely not.

Just stop the world...I want to get off.
    I deeply apologize, twice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to redtent For This Useful Post:

TriBel (11-09-19)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 810 Posts

Pop Culture Roll Call have done Lessons:

https://popculturerolecall.libsyn.com/

(What's interesting is that I think they all watched the first two episodes before recording the episode. So Stasia has already seen BY during her commentary for this episode, while Colin has also seen it he's only seen the Willow scenes - so Stasia has to keep quiet until next week.)
    buffylover made this stunning banner

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
    Pop Culture Roll Call have done Lessons:

https://popculturerolecall.libsyn.com/

(What's interesting is that I think they all watched the first two episodes before recording the episode. So Stasia has already seen BY during her commentary for this episode, while Colin has also seen it he's only seen the Willow scenes - so Stasia has to keep quiet until next week.)
    How can Colin get 4 minutes of video, and still talk for an hour? I'm still fast forwarding through most of his chat.

I don't know why Stasia doesn't realise her gift to Dawn was a mobile phone, when Dawn rings her and comments on the phone. I did like how she was scared by the 'ghosts'.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (14-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (14-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 588 Posts

How can Colin get 4 minutes of video, and still talk for an hour? I'm still fast forwarding through most of his chat.
    Reacting to and discussing the others' scenes is an essential part of the format, isn't it. So Collin is simply doing what he id supposed to do, I don't see how you can hold that against him. My guess is that he just appears to talk more than he "should" because you don't like him and he grates on you. (It reminds me a bit of those who complain about Spike being too prominent in S7, when in reality he didn't have that many lines!) Personally I find Collin's contributions funny and interesting as well as insightful. I would enjoy the podcast a lot less if he wasn't part of it.

ETA: of course it's also possible that he talks relatively more than the others but I don't notice because I like him. I'm not prepared to collect objective evidence for either theory though!

@SpuffyGlitz: I'm looking forward to next week's Beneath You and Spike's soul reveal. I did notice that Stasia said he'd been trying to tear his heart out, because obviously she couldn't reveal yet that he was actually talking about his soul.
    Last edited by Double Dutchess; 14-09-19 at 04:30 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (14-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dutchess View Post
    Reacting to and discussing the others' scenes is an essential part of the format, isn't it. So Collin is simply doing what he id supposed to do, I don't see how you can hold that against him. My guess is that he just appears to talk more than he "should" because you don't like him and he grates on you. (It reminds me a bit of those who complain about Spike being too prominent in S7, when in reality he didn't have that many lines!) Personally I find Collin's contributions funny and interesting as well as insightful. I would enjoy the podcast a lot less if he wasn't part of it.

ETA: of course it's also possible that he talks relatively more than the others but I don't notice because I like him. I'm not prepared to collect objective evidence for either theory though!

@SpuffyGlitz: I'm looking forward to next week's Beneath You and Spike's soul reveal. I did notice that Stasia said he'd been trying to tear his heart out, because obviously she couldn't reveal yet that he was actually talking about his soul.
    Different strokes obviously, but Colin is not my cup of tea. What did he say that's made you laugh? He makes me cringe. He will talk for ten minutes about Willow scene, miss the most important part and Stasia and Mike have to prompt him. I'd enjoy the podcast more if he wasn't part of it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (14-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 588 Posts

Different strokes obviously, but Colin is not my cup of tea. What did he say that's made you laugh? He makes me cringe. He will talk for ten minutes about Willow scene, miss the most important part and Stasia and Mike have to prompt him. I'd enjoy the podcast more if he wasn't part of it.
    Nothing specific, I just think Collin is generally witty and smart, and not missing the point any more often than the others. He's not my special favourite or anything; I just don't really understand why you find him so annoying. But as you say, different strokes.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (15-09-19)

Thanks

I'm looking fwd to the next episode too! Stasia was careful not to give anything away yet.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dutchess View Post
    Nothing specific, I just think Collin is generally witty and smart, and not missing the point any more often than the others. He's not my special favourite or anything; I just don't really understand why you find him so annoying. But as you say, different strokes.
    I wish we could listen to an episode together. Maybe your reaction to him might make me like him, when someone can explain why his persona isn't so grating

I'm looking forward to the next episode too. So if I'm still listening I guess Colin isn't a deal breaker

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (16-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (15-09-19)

Thanks

I think we all just have different preferences. It's mysterious to me what you find so grating about Colin, because I usually like his commentary and find him quite witty/ insightful, but then I used to find Stasia grating at times, and now I really like her as well. So I guess we all just have different likes and dislikes. And yep, I'm looking fwd to the next episode, that will be interesting!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (16-09-19),Priceless (15-09-19)

Thanks

I'm listening to Still Pretty's review of Beer Bad, and they're talking about Xander's concern for Buffy in the episode and how it's about him being genuinely caring for her while in the high school years he used to help her because he wanted something from her, and I just can't accept that at all. Xander was genuine when he saved Buffy's life in Prophecy Girl and Go Fish and other episodes, he was genuine when he comforted her in Phases and stood by her in Ted. He didn't do it 'cause he wanted something in return, he just did it 'cause he genuinely loved her.

If he did those things because he wanted something, wouldn't he have brought it up later? Wouldn't he have reminded her of the good he did for her? He didn't even ask for a thank you.

It bothers me when fans/reviewers accuse Xander of something he's not. Xander is no saint, but his good moments helping Buffy in high school were in no way tainted by some Nice Guy analogy.
    Made by Trickyboxes

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Skippcomet (20-09-19),Stoney (18-09-19),vampmogs (18-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,183 Times in 2,789 Posts

It doesn't make any sense. Xander continued to help Buffy despite being with Cordy in Season 2-3. He continued to help Buffy despite showing no remaining interest her in Season 3. In fact, the first time he ever helps Buffy at all is in "The Harvest" and it had very little, if anything, to do with Buffy at all and is more out concern and loyalty towards Jesse ("Jesse's my bud if he's in trouble I want to help").

I can sort of understand how you could take a more cynical and shallow reading of his desire to help Buffy in Season 1 because that's when his Buffy crush was at a all time high and I don't think Xander's love for Buffy (as a friend) or his general desire to help innocent people had been firstly established yet. However, I think a huge part of "Prophecy Girl" was emphasising the fact that despite Buffy explicitly rejecting him and making it clear he didn't have a shot with her, that Xander still went into The Master's lair to help her because he cared about her. It had nothing to do with expecting anything in return.

Xander's a complex and nuanced character. I absolutely do think he felt a certain degree of entitlement towards Buffy in Season 1-2 and that when she didn't reciprocate he could sometimes lash out in ugly and unfair ways. However, it does a disservice to both him and the writing to also not acknowledge that he did just really care for her and that he wanted to help her out of love and not just to get something in return. It also does a disservice to the fact that Xander genuinely liked helping others as well and that his entire desire to fight vampires and demons wasn't out of just trying to 'score' Buffy. Xander truly believed in the mission. Heck, even if you want to take a more negative and cynical view, Xander at the very least liked the idea of being part of an exclusive secret club with a secret that other kids did not have (hence his displeasure at Oz witnessing the vampire in "Surprise" and of course "Yeah! The more people who know the secret the more it cheapens it for the rest of us!"). I'd much rather them talk about that then just flatten all these other motivations as well (the good and the bad) in favour of this one silly and one-note interpretation of the character.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Sosa lola (18-09-19),Stoney (18-09-19)

Thanks

I'm listening to the rest of the video and they're doing it again. The scene when Cave Buffy says, "Boy smells nice," and Xander freaks out. Lani: "Which I also adore because two seasons ago, Xander would have been like "Bye, Giles," and now he's pulling away from her because he knows that she is not of sound mind. Noelle: "She is way under the influence. This is how you handle a drunk person."

Um... two seasons ago, "way under the influence" Buffy literally threw herself at Xander, and he didn't take advantage of her.

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Heck, even if you want to take a more negative and cynical view, Xander at the very least liked the idea of being part of an exclusive secret club with a secret that other kids did not have (hence his displeasure at Oz witnessing the vampire in "Surprise" and of course "Yeah! The more people who know the secret the more it cheapens it for the rest of us!"). I'd much rather them talk about that then just flatten all these other motivations as well (the good and the bad) in favour of this one silly and one-note interpretation of the character.
    I agree. Xander did enjoy the cool aspect of being in a superhero club, which is in character since he's a huge fan of Superman, Batman, the avengers, Star Trek, and the rest of the superhero franchise.
    Made by Trickyboxes

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

bespangled (19-09-19),Silver1 (18-09-19),Stoney (18-09-19),thenewbuzwuzz (19-09-19)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Still Dead have done Magic Bullet and Sacrifice. Lani openly says she doesn't care anymore and has given up on Angel S4 and is now desperate for it to be over.

https://chipperish.com/2019/09/17/43...data-s4-19-20/

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Priceless (18-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BtVS fan View Post
    Still Dead have done Magic Bullet and Sacrifice. Lani openly says she doesn't care anymore and has given up on Angel S4 and is now desperate for it to be over.

https://chipperish.com/2019/09/17/43...data-s4-19-20/
    They are so negative it's almost funny to listen to. Lani really hates S4 and Jasmine

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (18-09-19)

Thanks

OK I listened to Beneath You by Pop Culture Roll Call
    Spoiler:
    and they all ended up weirding me out me this time. It's strange. I feel like this format *really* hasn't allowed them to grasp some fundamental concepts established in the Buffyverse, even on a very basic level.

They kept circling around the subject of the soul, the chip, human evil and concluding that maybe Buffy shouldn't be sitting around in graves with stakes but should be holding out needles and chips and getting all vampires souled instead of staking them. I just think they all sounded incredibly confused and muddled about some pretty basic Buffyverse concepts. Especially considering that they're entering the last and final season by which time they shouldn't be this confused about everything.

Which makes me conclude that this fragmented format really isn't the best for watching/appreciating/understanding the show. Plus, I wasn't thrilled with Stasia's description of her Buffy scenes - especially her description of the last scene. And Colin (for once!) wasn't that fun either. And Mike didn't help much either. Stasia said she felt the acknowledgement of the AR was handled well, and she said that she now understands why the writers took this direction with the AR in Spike's storyline. I hadn't realised Stasia would totally miss seeing the part where Dawn threatens Spike with fire. Anyway, it wasn't anything particular that anyone said, it's just how collectively muddled they all sounded. I probably won't be listening in any further. I mean, I think they're all very cool people I like them, and I like the creativity of this idea. But it's not for me.

I thought Stasia was pretty intrigued by the idea of the soul and moved by Spike's suffering, but I also felt bad for her because she seems like a really intense Bangel fan and she seemed so desperate to watch the AtS show and they just weren't allowing her to. And she was saying, Spike was being too prideful in not immediately going to Angel for help, because she was sure Angel would help him. And Spike was suffering so much, and Angel is all about helping others in pain so she was sure he would take Spike under his wing, etc. Plus Angel is the only other vampire with a soul, he's been through it all, he's had a lot more time to deal. She was puzzled why Spike wouldn't go to Angel for help.

She was kind of pleading with them for her to watch AtS but they were saying no, not until they all decide as a group that they're definitely not doing the AtS show.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (19-09-19),Priceless (19-09-19),Silver1 (19-09-19)