Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Podcasts

Thanks
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    Buffy podcast Pop Culture Role Call is a very interesting approach to watching/rewatching the series. You got four commenters, each one is watching from a character’s POV. The Buffy POV and Willow POV are newbies.

I love the Xander POV guy (Yeah, yeah, big surprise!) poor thing is trying so hard to defend Xander while the two newbies really, really, really dislike him.

Anyway, I was listening to their Prophecy Girl podcast, and they were discussing when Xander went to Angel’s apartment so that he’d take him to the Master. Of course, only the Xander POV guy watched the scene and he was telling the others what happened in the scene. He mentions Xander holding a cross at Angel’s face and the newbies flipped out. Why would Xander point a cross at Angel’s face??? He’s so petty and Angel is a good guy…. and I was patiently waiting for the Xander POV guy to explain, but he never did!!!

This is how the scene played out: Xander asked Angel to take him to the Master to save Buffy, Angel responded by mocking and belittling Xander, when Xander realized that Angel wouldn’t help him, he used the cross! That scene was an awesome Xander scene, but because the Xander POV guy left out the little detail, it turned into another “Xander is a stupid ass” scene. Sigh.
    That's a very interesting way to approach watching the show. Are the people actually fans of the characters they are pov-ing? To do it justice, they really do need to be fans to fight their characters corner. I'll definitely give it a listen, though they don't sound very open minded.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (02-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 960 Posts

I don't listen to Podcasts. I don't generally like Podcasts. I lie - I listen to Welcome to Nightvale but Welcome to Nightvale isn't a podcast - it's a recipe for life! I don't listen to Podcasts or read "Metas" because, more often than not, there's a bias in them and I'm not used to reading material that's biased. Academic essays can be dry but I'm never left thinking they prefer one character over another. And God forbid they'd hate a character!

I met Jane at a Buffy convention years back and she was so, so nice. She did a live commentary on Pangs which was wonderful. I ended up not only being a
    fan of her writing but her as a person.
    I like Jane Espenson! I don't think fans realise just how clever she is (I hate it when fans claim writers are stupid. The writers, poets etc I work with are lots of things but stupid they ain't!). She worked with George Lakoff at Berkeley and he credits her with some of his ideas on metaphor. He also mentions her in his later book "Philosophy in the Flesh: The Embodied Mind and Its Challenge to Western Thought". IMO, "the embodied mind" is what we see in S7. I'd like to meet her (not saying it would be reciprocated - I'd probably bore her to death...sigh,
    Last edited by TriBel; 02-02-18 at 09:42 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (02-02-18)

Thanks

I don't listen to Podcasts. I don't generally like Podcasts. I lie - I listen to Welcome to Nightvale but Welcome to Nightvale isn't a podcast - it's a recipe for life! I don't listen to Podcasts or read "Metas" because, more often than not, there's a bias in them and I'm not used to reading material that's biased. Academic essays can be dry but I'm never left thinking they prefer one character over another. And God forbid they'd hate a character!
    I tend to listen to EVERY podcast and then just stop listening once they start saying things that I completely disagree with They are incredibly biased. Very few of the reviewers seem to be real fans of the show, and some can't even remember what happened from one episode to the next. But sometimes someone will say something you'd never thought of before, or present a character in a different light, and then it's interesting. I like Buffering because it's very queer-eyed and they obviously love the show and create great songs for each episode.

I like Jane Espenson! I don't think fans realise just how clever she is (I hate it when fans claim writers are stupid. The writers, poets etc I work with are lots of things but stupid they ain't!). She worked with George Lakoff at Berkeley and he credits her with some of his ideas on metaphor. He also mentions her in his later book "Philosophy in the Flesh: The Embodied Mind and Its Challenge to Western Thought". IMO, "the embodied mind" is what we see in S7. I'd like to meet her (not saying it would be reciprocated - I'd probably bore her to death...sigh,
    I would pay to hear you and Jane Espenson chatting over a cup of coffee! I probably would only understand every third word, but I'd love it. She is so clever, her writing is witty and charming and she obviously loves all the characters and I feel like she truly knows them and wants us to understand them and their motives as well as she understands them

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (02-02-18),TriBel (02-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 800 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    That's a very interesting way to approach watching the show. Are the people actually fans of the characters they are pov-ing? To do it justice, they really do need to be fans to fight their characters corner. I'll definitely give it a listen, though they don't sound very open minded.
    The Buffy POV and Willow POV people are newbies watching the show for the first time so they don't really know what's gonna happen. I loved how confused they were while watching The Zeppo. Since they didn't see any of the Xander parts, they were really confused. Also, the Buffy POV while watching BB&B while Buffy was turned into a rat.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-02-18)

Thanks

Lani Diane Rich (Still Pretty podcast) has said once she finished S7 she's starting from the beginning again. That's absolutely made my life. I used to listen to her and her-now-ex on Dusted, and he always seemed to drown her out, so I am so happy she's going to get to say all those things about the show she never got to say before

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    The Buffy POV and Willow POV people are newbies watching the show for the first time so they don't really know what's gonna happen. I loved how confused they were while watching The Zeppo. Since they didn't see any of the Xander parts, they were really confused. Also, the Buffy POV while watching BB&B while Buffy was turned into a rat.
    How can they review the whole episode if they don't know what's going on! I have to listen to this podcast because it just sounds weird

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (03-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 723 Posts

POTNīs review for A New Man is up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BONc...9lXQ3&index=13

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-02-18)

Thanks

Buffering the Vampire Slayer's review of Enemies is just brilliant, I was laughing out loud. If you are a fuffy fan and/or like making fun of Angel, you are missing out if you are not listening to this podcast

- - - Updated - - -

If you are an Angel fan I'll admit once Buffiering turn their humour onto Spike in later seasons I may not be such a big fan, just saying my bias might start to show

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Just aheads up, the Slayerfest podcast people's latest review is 'Pangs' and has writer Jane Espenson as a guest to talk about it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-30221024...n-thanksgiving
    I am at this very moment listening to it and it is so interesting to hear Jane Espenson talk about how scenes were changed in the production process and how detailed the episode Pangs was planned out by Joss, before the writers started writing. Thank you so much for the link !

ETA: I also found it really interesting, how she described her thorough research about the Chumash. She even drove, to where they lived and went to a museum and talked to people. And then she had no time left, for any research about the place, where Riley was born and raised. That is why, he is from Iowa, because that is, where she is from herself and she didn`t have to research that ;-)

ETA (again): There was another comment, I found interesting. I have often read, that Spike was made a member of the main cast, because Cordy, who had been the one, who threw the truth in everybodies face, had left the Show. I think, even JM himself has said something like that somwhere. But Jane Espenson clearly states in that podcast, that Anya was the substitute for Cordy, which makes a lot of sense, because Anya`s straightforwardness is very similiar to Cordy`s.

I was also listening today to After Show Reacts (to) Lovers Walk and I want to recommend it to evryone here, who is a Spike-fan. Her enthsudiasm about Spike reappearing is very sweet.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 10-02-18 at 05:43 PM.
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-02-18),TimeTravellingBunny (11-02-18)

Thanks

If you are an Angel fan I'll admit once Buffiering turn their humour onto Spike in later seasons I may not be such a big fan, just saying my bias might start to show
    Kristin has said that Spike is her favorite character, so I have high hopes. <3

Buffering is my favorite Buffy podcast. I'm also a big fan of Still Pretty and everything Lani Diane Rich does. She is starting an Angel podcast, too, called Still Dead.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kimothyschma For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kimothyschma View Post
    Kristin has said that Spike is her favorite character, so I have high hopes. <3

Buffering is my favorite Buffy podcast. I'm also a big fan of Still Pretty and everything Lani Diane Rich does. She is starting an Angel podcast, too, called Still Dead.
    I knew Kristin had great taste Buffering is a great podcast, I love 'detective Angel' so much it makes me laugh out loud everytime. The music is amazing too. They are both so funny and talented.

Lani Diane Rich is such a good communicator. I don't agree with everything she says, but I love listening to her, she's intelligent and enthusiastic. She said recently that once she finishes Still Pretty she's going to start from the begining again, which makes me very happy. I used to listen to Dusted and felt Alistair had a tendency to talk over Lani and I can't wait to just hear her opinions without them being filtered through him.

- - - Updated - - -

I was also listening today to After Show Reacts (to) Lovers Walk and I want to recommend it to evryone here, who is a Spike-fan. Her enthsudiasm about Spike reappearing is very sweet.
    Watched this. She is very sweet, and it's nice to know she'd missed Spike as much as the rest of us did

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

kimothyschma (11-02-18)

Thanks

I knew Kristin had great taste Buffering is a great podcast, I love 'detective Angel' so much it makes me laugh out loud everytime. The music is amazing too. They are both so funny and talented.

Lani Diane Rich is such a good communicator. I don't agree with everything she says, but I love listening to her, she's intelligent and enthusiastic. She said recently that once she finishes Still Pretty she's going to start from the begining again, which makes me very happy. I used to listen to Dusted and felt Alistair had a tendency to talk over Lani and I can't wait to just hear her opinions without them being filtered through him.
    What don't you agree with? I love pretty much everything she has to say about Spike/Buffy, but we don't always agree on which other episodes are good or bad.

I don't know if you've listened to Big Strong Yes, but it turns out things were a lot worse than that. He is not a good person.

Thanks

I am glad, Lani Diane Rich is going to start all over again at season 1, once she is finished with season 7. I was just thinking the other day, how sad it is, that her vlog will be ending soon. A definite YAY ! from me for that.

I am not really a podcast fan. I listened to the one with Jane Espenson just because of her and I also listen also to the Sunnydale fanfic Club, if they have an author, that I like. But most of the times they are just too long for me to listen to.

flow

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

I admit that I have bitten off more than I can chew when it comes to podcasts. I want to listen to all of them and there's not enough time in the day. I have a big backlog in my podcasts app and thanks to this thread I'm adding more!

Thanks

I am currently subscribed to 26 podcasts. God I didn't realise it was that many till just now! Not all of them Buffy ones I should add

Lani watches Buffy from a story/character perspective and although she loves S7 I'm often interpreting things very differently. Thanks to TriBel I've come to a much greater understanding of the philosophical basis of much of the season, that the season is about seeing v's understanding, the use/misuse of language and meanings within episodes that I had just never thought about before.

I don't listen to A Big Strong Yes, but it doesn't surprise me that Alistair was a bit of a dick, I always thought that when I listened to Dusted. He'd talk over Lani, laugh at his own jokes and dominate the conversation, though he could sometimes be quite interesting so I kept listening.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

kimothyschma (11-02-18)

Thanks

She reveals a lot about him on that podcast, in bits and pieces. He turned out to be a that's-not-even-his-real-name level liar.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kimothyschma For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-02-18)

Thanks

Love Lani, and thought this was very good

- - - Updated - - -

The Sunnydale Fanfic Club on twitter:

#BANGEL fans check out “If You Come Softly” by JilyandBambi
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/11909904
    SUBMIT QUESTIONS BY FEB. 16TH

#SPUFFY fans check out “A Different Kind of Hell” by OffYourBird
    http://archiveofourown.org/works/11689914
    SUBMIT QUESTIONS BY FEB. 20TH
    #SUPERFAN submit questions for both stories!

They also have a tubmlr site, where you can post your questions. I've really enjoyed their podcasts, and the reading group has read A Different Kind Of Hell, so anyone who's read that or If You Come Softly, then I hope you'll all put forward some quesitons.

Thanks

I take back whatever I said earlier. Lani - whatever her name is - is my favourite.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (14-02-18),kimothyschma (14-02-18),Priceless (14-02-18)

Thanks

If you like Lani Diane Rich, she's starting an AtS podcast, which I am sure will be really interesting and I'll be giving it a listen.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (14-02-18)

Thanks

If you like Lani Diane Rich, she's starting an AtS podcast, which I am sure will be really interesting and I'll be giving it a listen.
    Is she going to upset people? I only like her when she's upsetting people. I fear I'm becoming a bad person. I love this little emoji - I want it for a pet. It's the Battersea Dogs Home of emojis. I love it more than most people I know.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Is she going to upset people? I only like her when she's upsetting people. I fear I'm becoming a bad person. I love this little emoji - I want it for a pet. It's the Battersea Dogs Home of emojis. I love it more than most people I know.
    I believe Paul O'Grady is going to do a tv show about lost and unwanted emojis, perhaps you'll see an emoji on there that you could adopt

Oh I am sure Lani will upset someone

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (14-02-18)