Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Podcasts

Thanks
    Thanked 8,434 Times in 4,066 Posts

Default Favourite Podcasts

I'm an avid podcast listener. I mainly listen to Buffy-centric podcasts, but not exclusively. I wondered if anyone else listens to any podcasts that they'd like to recommend?

One of my favourites is Lani Diane Rich's Still Pretty. She used to do the Dusted with her husband *ahem ex-husband, but continued on her own, and is much improved for it imo

Do you have any recommendations?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Vague that up for me (23-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

I am listening to the Sunnydale Fanfic Club Podcast. They discuss a fanfic every week together with the author. It is quite new, they have been on air for only three weeks. Their first fic was a Jenny/Giles Story in an alternate universe. The second was a one-shot, that was Willow-centric and the third one was a Spuffy fanfic. The next one is going to be a Bangel fanfic.

You can find them on tumblr, twitter and Facebook. I would post a link here, but i am not really sure, if it would be against the board rules. Maybe someone can give me a hint.

flow

flow

4. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (29-12-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,796 Times in 2,264 Posts

I listen to a lot of podcasts (while I'm walking my dogs), but unfortunately I don't know many Buffy podcasts that are still running. The only one I listen to is Babes Watch Buffy on Soundcloud - two hosts are rewatching Buffy (and sometimes they have special episodes on other stuff), and they usually have a guest or two. They've just finished season 3, but I'm behind (still listening to season 2 podcasts).
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Priceless (29-12-17),Silver1 (28-12-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    I listen to a lot of podcasts (while I'm walking my dogs), but unfortunately I don't know many Buffy podcasts that are still running. The only one I listen to is Babes Watch Buffy on Soundcloud - two hosts are rewatching Buffy (and sometimes they have special episodes on other stuff), and they usually have a guest or two. They've just finished season 3, but I'm behind (still listening to season 2 podcasts).
    i love Babes Watch Buffy, it's one of my favourite Buffy podcasts. They've tweeted recently that they'll soon be starting on Season 4 and I'm really looking forward to hearing their thoughts

Thanks

I'd like to recommend Buffering the Vampire Slayer podcast, it's fun but also has a serious take on the sexism and patriarchy within BtVS which I enjoy. One of the podcasters is a singer/songwriter and she writes a song for every episode and they are great.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (05-01-18),Vague that up for me (23-11-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,425 Times in 5,565 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I'd like to recommend Buffering the Vampire Slayer podcast, it's fun but also has a serious take on the sexism and patriarchy within BtVS which I enjoy. One of the podcasters is a singer/songwriter and she writes a song for every episode and they are great.
    The song writing sounds like a cute idea, is there anywhere that the lyrics are posted?

I've never listened to a podcast and don't read episode reviews/critiques for the show generally (apart from the rewatch here of course). I'm too opinionated to actively look to read or listen to something if I can't respond and discuss it with the writer. I often get muddled in what the point was the person was going for and need to quiz and sort out my understanding with them too, duh. How often do you listen to these or read general reviews? Do you try and stick to an episode and look up several for it or do you just follow several people even if they are at different places in their watches?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    The song writing sounds like a cute idea, is there anywhere that the lyrics are posted?

I've never listened to a podcast and don't read episode reviews/critiques for the show generally (apart from the rewatch here of course). I'm too opinionated to actively look to read or listen to something if I can't respond and discuss it with the writer. I often get muddled in what the point was the person was going for and need to quiz and sort out my understanding with them too, duh. How often do you listen to these or read general reviews? Do you try and stick to an episode and look up several for it or do you just follow several people even if they are at different places in their watches?
    I am listening to about 10 Buffy podcasts currently! They range from S1 to S7, some I've listened to from the start and some I've just jumped into. I have listened to a lot more, but once they say they don't like Spike/Spuffy, I turn off
    You do hear a lot of the same opinions, but Buffering is different because it's done by two gay women, they have a very feminist slant which I enjoy, but they are also fun - though not if you are a fan of Xander or Angel. They hate Xander and just laugh at Angel and his melodrama. I am worried that when they get to S5, 6, 7 I won't be able to listen because they will hate Spike

I don't read episode reviews, except the ones on this site. I do read series reviews, but I prefer to read more in-depth analysis and opinions. I like Slayage and have read a lot of their articles, but to be honest I get most of my enjoyment just discussing the show with fans on the forums

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (06-01-18)

Thanks

@ priceless, are you following Passion of the Nerd`s reviews on YouTube ? I have only watched
    Spike-episodes so far, because I simply don`t have the time, to watch every review, but I love them.

There used to be a written review for every epiosde with a season overall review on a website called Critically Touched. I managed to read all of the season 6 and season 7 reviews during my last summer holiday and when I wanted to go back to them a couple of weeks later, they were gone ! The author had taken them off the internet after they had been there for twenty years and less than twenty weeks, after I had dicovered them !

Mark Field`s book Myth, Metaphor and Morality is basically a review for every episode as well. I like reading it, but got stuck somewhere in season 3. As I said ....too much to read, too little time.....sigh.

@priceless, I remember, that you (at least I think, it was you) once recommended a Video Review. I don`t remember the name of the vlogger and I don`t even remember, if it was on YouTube. The only thing I remember, is, that it was by a woman with dark schoulder length hair. Do you know, where I could find her review ?

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

15. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    @ priceless, are you following Passion of the Nerd`s reviews on YouTube ? I have only watched
    Spike-episodes so far, because I simply don`t have the time, to watch every review, but I love them.

There used to be a written review for every epiosde with a season overall review on a website called Critically Touched. I managed to read all of the season 6 and season 7 reviews during my last summer holiday and when I wanted to go back to them a couple of weeks later, they were gone ! The author had taken them off the internet after they had been there for twenty years and less than twenty weeks, after I had dicovered them !

Mark Field`s book Myth, Metaphor and Morality is basically a review for every episode as well. I like reading it, but got stuck somewhere in season 3. As I said ....too much to read, too little time.....sigh.

@priceless, I remember, that you (at least I think, it was you) once recommended a Video Review. I don`t remember the name of the vlogger and I don`t even remember, if it was on YouTube. The only thing I remember, is, that it was by a woman with dark schoulder length hair. Do you know, where I could find her review ?

flow
    I do watch Passion of the Nerd's reviews, he's really interesting but the reviews aren't long enough Doesn't POTN use
    Mark Field`s book Myth, Metaphor and Morality as a basis for his reviews? I've never read it, which I probably should if I call myself a proper Buffy fan

I hadn't heard of Critically Touched, and it's a shame they've removed their reviews. Do you know why they did that? I wonder if they were 20 years old, if the thinking behind them was outdated.

My favourite video review (it's also a podcast) is on YouTube and it's by Lani Diane Rich who was once half of Dusted before her divorce. The reviews are called Still Pretty and they start in S6 which is where Dusted left off, although I think Alistair carried on with another woman (in all senses I believe ) I like Lani and she's pretty pro-Spike which I like

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    You can hear the songs free on Spotify, or at least the first two seasons. You can also listen on the BufferingtheVampireSlayer website. The lyrics for the songs are on the website too. I would recommend them, she's a terrific songwriter and the songs are in all different style. I wish i could link it all, but I don't know how!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (07-01-18)

Thanks

Just listening to Buffering the Podcast review of Consequences and they are so funny talking about 'detective Angel', is anyone else listening? They gave their sexual tension award to Angel and his leather bound notebook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Vague that up for me (23-11-18)

Thanks

Listened to three episodes of If the Apocalypse Comes, Beep Me and really enjoyed them. They are currently reviewing season two and have some interesting perspectives

Thanks

The Sunnydale Fanfic Club has aired the episode for "Pet" by Sigyn:

http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/...dest_id/612464

flow

22. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-01-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,190 Posts

Two things I've been listening to/watching is Slayerfest98 which is a podcast where some gay men (their description not my assumption) chat about the episode they've watched. I usually end up skipping through some of it when they start to ramble about other things or get hooked on minor points which has very little to do with the story. Their latest is season 4's the Initiative.

https://soundcloud.com/user-30221024...the-initiative

Then there's another load of your average nerdy blokes discussing the episodes. The majority of the reviews are apparently podcasts (on I think iTunes), but I only watch the few they uploaded as videos on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaz...able_polymer=1

I often find their take on the episodes odd verging on surreal sometimes and they also get hooked on the weirdest of details.
    Last edited by Silver1; 30-01-18 at 02:42 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-01-18)

Thanks

flow
    Excellent. Have you listened flow? I shall listen tomorrow. I've been looking forward to this one for ages

Silver1 Thanks for the podcast recs. I'm always on the lookout for new podcasts so I'll listen to them both

- - - Updated - - -

flow
    Have you listened to it yet? What do you think? Sigyn is not at all what I expected! It was really interesting to hear her talk about her work

Thanks

Yes, I have listened to the podcast. I thouht, sigyn was very focused, she got straight to the heart of things. She voiced her opinion very clearly and came across as an intelligent person. I think, that the hosts were a bit overwhelmed with talking with her and about Pet and I am not sure, if this fic was the right one for them. Theyy seemed to be a bit perplex or flabbergasted.

I was very grateful for sigyn talking about evil Spikes development and how he closed himself off of the evil he was doing. She was referring to a line in Destiny, where he says, he never looked back at the victims. That really helped me to understand her evil Spike so much better.

I wish, she could have talked a bit about other stories as well, but there was obviously not enough time. I also was surprised, that she has published original novels and I wish, she would have mentioned the titles or her author name. But I guess, she wanted to protect her anonymity ? Oh, and I was impressed, how bravely and openly she talked about her depression.

Yes, I was really impressed. Kudos to sigyn

flow

27. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (01-02-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Just aheads up, the Slayerfest podcast people's latest review is 'Pangs' and has writer Jane Espenson as a guest to talk about it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-30221024...n-thanksgiving

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

flow (01-02-18),kimothyschma (11-02-18),Priceless (01-02-18),Sosa lola (02-02-18),Vague that up for me (23-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Just aheads up, the Slayerfest podcast people's latest review is 'Pangs' and has writer Jane Espenson as a guest to talk about it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-30221024...n-thanksgiving
    I've just listened to it. Jane Espenson is such a good communicator. She pulled up her original script and they talked about the changes that were made by the time they shot the episode. It was really interesting. I'd never heard her talk before and I wonder why she did this podcast and not any of the thousand that are out there. Very enjoyable, thanks for the recommendation Silver1

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have listened to the podcast. I thouht, sigyn was very focused, she got straight to the heart of things. She voiced her opinion very clearly and came across as an intelligent person. I think, that the hosts were a bit overwhelmed with talking with her and about Pet and I am not sure, if this fic was the right one for them. Theyy seemed to be a bit perplex or flabbergasted.

I was very grateful for sigyn talking about evil Spikes development and how he closed himself off of the evil he was doing. She was referring to a line in Destiny, where he says, he never looked back at the victims. That really helped me to understand her evil Spike so much better.

I wish, she could have talked a bit about other stories as well, but there was obviously not enough time. I also was surprised, that she has published original novels and I wish, she would have mentioned the titles or her author name. But I guess, she wanted to protect her anonymity ? Oh, and I was impressed, how bravely and openly she talked about her depression.

Yes, I was really impressed. Kudos to sigyn

flow
    She did say she was on EF and people could contact her there, so I am sure she'd talk about her original work if asked. I'm just really happy she didn't leave the fandom as she thought she would. I thought she was really interesting, and forthright.

I'd agree the reviewers seemed out of their depth, but they are very young I think (thought one of them is soon to be married, I feel like saying wait another 10 years!) I think they prefer 'romantic' or 'adventure' fics, rather than those that are trying to address issues or character psychology.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (01-02-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

ve just listened to it. Jane Espenson is such a good communicator. She pulled up her original script and they talked about the changes that were made by the time they shot the episode. It was really interesting.
    It was good wasn't it. And I even learnt a few more things about the series I didn't know before.

I met Jane at a Buffy convention years back and she was so, so nice. She did a live commentary on Pangs which was wonderful. I ended up not only being a
    fan of her writing but her as a person.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (02-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    It was good wasn't it. And I even learnt a few more things about the series I didn't know before.

I met Jane at a Buffy convention years back and she was so, so nice. She did a live commentary on Pangs which was wonderful. I ended up not only being a
    fan of her writing but her as a person.
    I am jealous that you have met her, I am in awe of her talent. I do follow her on twitter (not quite the same lol) and she seems such a lovely person

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (02-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,010 Times in 1,179 Posts

Buffy podcast Pop Culture Role Call is a very interesting approach to watching/rewatching the series. You got four commenters, each one is watching from a character’s POV. The Buffy POV and Willow POV are newbies.

I love the Xander POV guy (Yeah, yeah, big surprise!) poor thing is trying so hard to defend Xander while the two newbies really, really, really dislike him.

Anyway, I was listening to their Prophecy Girl podcast, and they were discussing when Xander went to Angel’s apartment so that he’d take him to the Master. Of course, only the Xander POV guy watched the scene and he was telling the others what happened in the scene. He mentions Xander holding a cross at Angel’s face and the newbies flipped out. Why would Xander point a cross at Angel’s face??? He’s so petty and Angel is a good guy…. and I was patiently waiting for the Xander POV guy to explain, but he never did!!!

This is how the scene played out: Xander asked Angel to take him to the Master to save Buffy, Angel responded by mocking and belittling Xander, when Xander realized that Angel wouldn’t help him, he used the cross! That scene was an awesome Xander scene, but because the Xander POV guy left out the little detail, it turned into another “Xander is a stupid ass” scene. Sigh.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (31-10-18),Priceless (02-02-18),Silver1 (02-02-18)