Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Podcasts

Thanks
    Thanked 3,281 Times in 1,347 Posts

I am listening to Pop Culture Role Call (After Life) just now and it took me about half the episode to get into it (it would be easier if Willow would be a woman) but now I can see why it appeals to people. But I don`t really understand why Buffy will not be allowed to tell Xander and Willow about her and Spike. Is there a rule?

Just now they think Giles is going to die because Buffy has told him he is like a father to her.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

They are experiencing the series as their characters. So if a character doesn't know something, then they won't know until it's revealed later - unless there is an assumption that the characters were told off screen. For instance, Buffy killing Angel is something only Buffy experienced, and she didn't tell the other characters until three more episodes. So Stasia as Buffy kept that a secret and only told Mike/Xander and Colin/Willow about that in 3x03. Because that's when those characters found out. They didn't know beforehand. They are experiencing the series as their characters.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seekingoutfriday For This Useful Post:

flow (12-04-19),Priceless (12-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (13-04-19)

Thanks

Ah, that makes sense. It takes some time to really get into it but I am looking forward to OMWF.I`ll definitely be listening to that.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

bespangled (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 704 Posts

I think she can definitely talk about the kisses - just not the hot, angry sex in Smashed. I suspect that will just be a fight where the house falls in. And then they fall asleep...which should tip Colin off big time. Usually they only hold back small, key details. Colin talked about the fight Willow had with Tara - even the harsh things Willow said. He just left out the spell.

OMG - what will happen with Tabula Rasa?
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are. Proudly banned by the BB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 579 Posts

So from what I've gathered, Mike, Stasia and Collin are role playing their parts as Xander, Buffy and Willow. But...I just have some questions cos i'm confused...

1) have they consistently done this through all of the prior seasons so far?
    2) Are they really watching Buffy piecemeal for just "their" scenes? Why would they be OK with that? Is their first experience of BtVS really that fragmentary?

Overall, it's a really interesting/ creative idea but I can't believe people would agree to do it, lol! On the other hand, the commentary could be really fun and it seems like a great way to get actual character POV insights.
    I want the fire back. - Buffy Summers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,089 Times in 3,364 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
    So from what I've gathered, Mike, Stasia and Collin are role playing their parts as Xander, Buffy and Willow. But...I just have some questions cos i'm confused...

1) have they consistently done this through all of the prior seasons so far?
    2) Are they really watching Buffy piecemeal for just "their" scenes? Why would they be OK with that? Is their first experience of BtVS really that fragmentary?

Overall, it's a really interesting/ creative idea but I can't believe people would agree to do it, lol! On the other hand, the commentary could be really fun and it seems like a great way to get actual character POV insights.
    Yes they are only watching the scenes and have the knowledge that their characters, Xander, Buffy and Willow, have at the time. Although Mike has seen the show before, so he knows everything, as does James the producer of the show who edits the discs of the episodes they see. They only watch the scenes they are in on the show, then meet up and discuss what happened to them, so piecing the episode together between the three of them.

If their character has a secret on the show, that is kept secret from the others during the discussion. They sometimes guess it, but it's never confirmed until their character finds out.

It sounds a crazy way of doing things, but it really works. Listening to S5 really reminded me of how little Buffy saw of Spike and how little she knew of what he was doing or how he was thinking and feeling throughout that season. It gave me a different perspective and more understanding of Buffy.

They started at Welcome to the Hellmouth and are now at Season 6. I'd highly recommend you going back to listen to the earlier seasons, as they are so much fun. I came to it late, so I've listened to perhaps half the episodes from S1, 2 and 3.

The episodes are fragmentary but they piece them together as much as they can. They know little to nothing about things Angel, Giles, Spike, Dawn, Joyce, Tara, Oz etc. etc. etc. do when they are in scenes together or without Buffy, Xander or Willow. It sounds weird, but it works really well.

I'm hopeful that once they've finished watching this way, they'll watch the show again and see everything they've missed and I'm sure some of it will absolutely shock them!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    I think she can definitely talk about the kisses - just not the hot, angry sex in Smashed. I suspect that will just be a fight where the house falls in. And then they fall asleep...which should tip Colin off big time. Usually they only hold back small, key details. Colin talked about the fight Willow had with Tara - even the harsh things Willow said. He just left out the spell.

OMG - what will happen with Tabula Rasa?
    I hope Stasia doesn't mention the kisses, as it would give too much away. Colin already suspects, but I'd rather he be kept in the dark as long as possible.

They could show them all of Tabula Rasa, because it is them, and they will remember it going forward. Or they could only show the start and the ending, maybe not Willow casting the spell . . . oh I don't know!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (13-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (13-04-19)

Graveyard Patrol Double Dutchess's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 441 Posts

I'm sure Buffy never mentioned the kisses in OMWF and Tabula Rasa to anyone, so Stasia wouldn't be expected to do so either. And they will be easy to keep secret. But starting from Smashed, it's going to be a huge challenge.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-04-19)

Thanks

I think there are two ways to go, either Stasia will say she was with Spike, fighting or talking but with no mention of their sexual relationship. Or they will say they had no scenes at all and the show must have been focusing on Spike or the Big Bad or someone else. It'll probably have to be a combination of the two, but it's going to be fun

Thanks

I'm thinking she can mention the kisses because the first one was under the spell of Sweet, and the second one was about Giles leaving - ergo bad kissing decisions. This is going to be a tricky season because they have to share some stuff in order to make sense. The other part of Smashed is Willow and Amy performing magic on the crowd at the Bronze. How much will Colin talk about that? Thus far he's talked about the Willow/Tara disagreements but kinda minimized them. The only thing he didn't tell about was the magic spell that made Tara forget. But I doubt Willow would have told the others about the fact that she and Tara were fighting about magic.

I think it's only actual secrets they keep back. The sex was definitely a secret - at least to Xander. I'm not sure if the kiss at the end of OMWF counts as a secret to be kept. Or is it more like Willow almost doing a spell to remove everyone who is not a 15 year old girl to another dimension? So much of her arc is with Spike in season 6 - she can't just cut those parts out.

And then there's the character wrap ups....

Am I the only person waiting breathlessly for Wednesday?
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are. Proudly banned by the BB

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

flow (16-04-19),Priceless (15-04-19)

Graveyard Patrol Double Dutchess's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 441 Posts

I'm looking forward to it too! I expect Stasia will keep the kisses secret, but we'll see. Besides the reasons I mentioned earlier, I also think it will help her to keep the sex secret; easier to pretend Spike is still in the "friend zone".

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dutchess View Post
    I'm looking forward to it too! I expect Stasia will keep the kisses secret, but we'll see. Besides the reasons I mentioned earlier, I also think it will help her to keep the sex secret; easier to pretend Spike is still in the "friend zone".
    You may well be right, but how will she explain beating the crap out of Spike in Dead Things? Maybe talk about the kisses and then act as if Spike keeps pushing? Make the problem that Spike keeps trying to pull Buffy to the dark side? There's too big a gap if she simply Xander's him, and Buffy has to reveal the psychological torment of being pulled out of heaven. Spike gets the brunt of that.

Oh well, time will tell. They damn well better have Giles in OMWF!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

flow (16-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,356 Times in 5,070 Posts

I don't think there's any chance Buffy would have told them about the kisses. She looks as if she might confess to Willow after Tabula Rasa but then is put off by her attitude towards having deratted Amy. She wouldn't have lightly opened herself up to the judgement/discussion of any relationship with Spike at all I don't think. I'd have thought that the group would just assume Spike got himself into a pub brawl and was beaten black/blue by a group of demons again. He'd be most likely to dismiss it as something like that as he was fairly consistent in participating in covering up for Buffy and his belief he was offering her an outlet she could only get from him when she did beat him would have him ready to do it in this too I think.

It's an interesting (and weird) premise to watch the show by, but I still feel that they are missing out so much on aspects that are meant to inform the audience's understanding of the characters, the plots/themes this way by lacking the deliberate compare and contrast to other character experiences and what is happening across the episodes as a whole. And, to be honest, I think most people can appreciate/apply the aspect of 'she/he wouldn't have known that' which occurs when a character isn't privy to events happening for others. So it's a viewing depth and a greater understanding intended for a viewer that they are just missing out on. But it clearly is entertaining those of you who enjoy watching these things and as the person who enjoys watching those who watch others watching, that you do is fascinating to me.
    Last edited by Stoney; 15-04-19 at 04:02 AM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (16-04-19),Priceless (15-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (15-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post

and as the person who enjoys watching those who watch others watching, that you do is fascinating to me.
    I want the fire back. - Buffy Summers

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

flow (16-04-19),Stoney (15-04-19)

Thanks

I don't think there's any chance Buffy would have told them about the kisses. She looks as if she might confess to Willow after Tabula Rasa but then is put off by her attitude towards having deratted Amy. She wouldn't have lightly opened herself up to the judgement/discussion of any relationship with Spike at all I don't think. I'd have thought that the group would just assume Spike got himself into a pub brawl and was beaten black/blue by a group of demons again. He'd be most likely to dismiss it as something like that as he was fairly consistent in participating in covering up for Buffy and his belief he was offering her an outlet she could only get from him when she did beat him would have him ready to do it in this too I think.
    Part of the show is talking about events that only their character experienced. For example Colin (Willow) talked about Tara's pressure to use less magic. But he left out enchanting the flower to make Tara forget. Similarly Stasia (Buffy) will have to account for her time spent with Spike even if they believe there was no sex involved. The big reveal of Spuffy sex came in Entropy, so we'll have to wait for that, I assume. We're just speculating about how she'll cover up the sex but talk about the plethora of Spuffy scenes.

It's an interesting (and weird) premise to watch the show by, but I still feel that they are missing out so much on aspects that are meant to inform the audience's understanding of the characters, the plots/themes this way by lacking the deliberate compare and contrast to other character experiences and what is happening across the episodes as a whole. And, to be honest, I think most people can appreciate/apply the aspect of 'she/he wouldn't have known that' which occurs when a character isn't privy to events happening for others. So it's a viewing depth and a greater understanding intended for a viewer that they are just missing out on. But it clearly is entertaining those of you who enjoy watching these things and as the person who enjoys watching those who watch others watching, that you do is fascinating to me.
    They are missing out in some ways, but getting very close to their characters in ways the normal viewer can't. It's an interesting podcast - different from all the typical reviews. They are going to watch the entire show after. I hope we entertain you well!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

flow (16-04-19)

Thanks

I don't think Stasia will mention much about Spike at all. Although we know they spent a lot of time together, I think Stasia will say they weren't together half those times. They'll pretend all the empty air time must have been spent on other characters like Dawn, Anya, Tara, Spike etc. that they aren't privy to, or characters they don't know about yet, like the Big Bads plotting.

I don't think she'll mention any kissing at all, or Colin is bound to catch on to what's really happening.

It's going to be exciting to see what they do and if they can all keep their secrets.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (16-04-19)

Thanks

I can see it is different and an interesting podcast for trying an alternate approach. But I don't think they get closer to their characters in ways a normal viewer can't because they aren't seeing anything that a normal viewer doesn't. If I consider just Buffy's pov from an ep, or just Willow's across a season, then I can do exactly what they are doing despite having seen more from viewing the other character scenes too. Nothing prevents me from isolating one character's experience to consider the episode/season for them alone. They've just limited their viewing so I'll probably generally connect to the themes of the show and episode better having seen the whole thing as intended. It will be interesting to hear if their perception of the show itself changes at all when they see it fully.

Yes, it is entertaining. I'm still not sure why Buffy has to account for her time spent with Spike when they don't even know that she was with him though. Buffy even specifically said in the magic box that she wasn't going to go and meet up with him in Smashed when he called. So unless they are all told that the final scene was one between Spike and Buffy (which I can't imagine they would be or it pulls down the idea that the characters only know what they personally see), Buffy could have just gone on patrol after Xander/Anya left. I can't see why she would have to account for what she did when she was out all night when it wasn't pressed for her to detail her whereabouts in the show by those who eventually knew in Wrecked she had been gone all night long. That's then them trying to gain more insight than their scenes provide by quizzing each other in a way they don't in the show and surely that removes the point. As Pricey says, empty scenes that contain other characters they aren't viewing (Dawn, Anya, Spike etc) can be left to account for any gaps created by scenes the character wants to fully conceal.
    Last edited by Stoney; 15-04-19 at 09:59 AM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I can see it is different and an interesting podcast for trying an alternate approach. But I don't think they get closer to their characters in ways a normal viewer can't because they aren't seeing anything that a normal viewer doesn't. If I consider just Buffy's pov from an ep, or just Willow's across a season, then I can do exactly what they are doing despite having seen more from viewing the other character scenes too. Nothing prevents me from isolating one character's experience to consider the episode/season for them alone. They've just limited their viewing so I'll probably generally connect to the themes of the show and episode better having seen the whole thing as intended. It will be interesting to hear if their perception of the show itself changes at all when they see it fully.
    I agree Stoney, you can isolate a character and see the ep or show through their eyes, but your brain is always connecting the dots and making assumptions based on other characters and other scenes, that the one character you have isolated hasn't seen or doesn't know about. I thin that's just the way the human mind works - once you know something, you can't unknow it.

Stasia has one view of Spike (prior to S6) because she knows little to nothing about how Spike has behaved/reacted/acted with other characters. We love his relationship with Dawn, but Stasia knows little about that, so her view of Spike is somehow unadulterated. She doesn't see him as a rounded character at all, but as a creepy stalker. She's also deeply in love with Angel, she's a complete Bangel fan, and from her pov that's exactly what the show is pushing. She said in one ep 'I try to get over Angel, but he keeps coming back, so I'm not being allowed to forget him' (or some such). The way the podcast works really does give a different insight into Buffy (and Willow/Xander, but Buffy is the character that interests me the most).

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (16-04-19),SpuffyGlitz (16-04-19),Stoney (15-04-19)

Thanks

Sure I can't un-know it, but I'm capable of considering how the character would think if they didn't know those facts, and can be in fact helped too by considering what effect it has on my own perception to include the knowledge of what they don't know. Perhaps others don't think that's doable, but that is part and parcel of considering each character's pov when watching in my opinion. I do see what you're saying in that it simplifies it, to not know anything outside your own direct interactions with everyone. But we are also prompted through Buffy's responses to Spike to understand how she perceives him based on her reduced information too (just as the Stasia is being, she isn't getting any additional information to us). So we can also understand/consider what Buffy is feeling, what she knows and how that affects her responses to situations, events, other characters. I just don't think they are getting something that you can't choose to specifically consider yourself personally, it is just perhaps arguably easier for her. What does unquestionably change is that her knowledge of other characters as a viewer (totally separate to considering Buffy's pov) is being impaired. As I say, it'll be interesting to know if their thoughts change greatly when they view it all (and that could inform how much, if any, of their own feelings/pov played a part in their interpretations and perceptions of what the opinions/feelings of the character they are 'being' were).

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

bespangled (16-04-19),flow (16-04-19),Priceless (15-04-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 1,083 Posts

I actually wish that Mike didn't watch the show. It would have been more interesting if the Xander guy was a newbie.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sosa Lola, I agree with you. Now that I have gotten into this podcast I wish they would all know nothing about the Show. Stoney, it is true that I can deliberately try to see Buffy`s POV when I watch the show and we often try to do that when we discuss certain aspects, for example how she felt, when she left for L.A. at the end of becoming part II. But this is more than just seeing it or considering it. To hear what Stasia says is actually to feel her emotions. I find the approach of the podcast very unique. I don`t think I will be listening to all of the episodes or not even to all of the remaining episodes. But I will definitely be listening to OMWF and to Smashed.

flow
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-04-19)