Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Podcasts

Thanks
    Thanked 8,667 Times in 4,168 Posts

That sounds really interesting SpuffyGlitz.

Spoiler:
    I've not listened to it yet, but Stasia is a huge Bangel fan and she would think Angel would help Spike, because she's seen little to nothing of their history together, which speaks to why Spike would never go to Angel for help. I don't expect Stasia to feel much for Spike or the Spuffy relationship by the end, she's so firmly Bangel I don't think changing her view is even possible

I could tell from the end of S6 that their feelings towards Buffy were changing, and they wondered about her mission and whether she was more a killer than a slayer. But I think that's where we come to by the end of S7, and certainly by S11. It's a tightrope walk throughout the whole story. But I would never blame Buffy, because she's been taught by the WC, Giles etc. I'm interested to hear how Stasia describes the final scenes in the episode.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (19-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (19-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 588 Posts

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the episode that much, SpuffyGlitz! But I also find it interesting because my reaction was totally different. I thought it was a great episode, and I particularly enjoyed the soul discussion -- I thought they were raising lots of good questions and I found myself nodding along to much that was said.

What did you not like about Stasia's description of the church scene? It's been a while since I've last seen it, but I thought it was pretty accurate.

I thought their idea that Spike should have gone to Angel for help with his new soul made a lot of sense, and in fact there are loads of fanfics that have Spike doing exactly that. But those are mostly Spangel fics, so I suppose their view on the relationship between Spike and Angel may be different from how you see it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

bespangled (21-09-19),Priceless (20-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (19-09-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    I'm listening to Still Pretty's review of Beer Bad, and they're talking about Xander's concern for Buffy in the episode and how it's about him being genuinely caring for her while in the high school years he used to help her because he wanted something from her, and I just can't accept that at all. Xander was genuine when he saved Buffy's life in Prophecy Girl and Go Fish and other episodes, he was genuine when he comforted her in Phases and stood by her in Ted. He didn't do it 'cause he wanted something in return, he just did it 'cause he genuinely loved her.

If he did those things because he wanted something, wouldn't he have brought it up later? Wouldn't he have reminded her of the good he did for her? He didn't even ask for a thank you.

It bothers me when fans/reviewers accuse Xander of something he's not. Xander is no saint, but his good moments helping Buffy in high school were in no way tainted by some Nice Guy analogy.
    Isn't Lani supposed to be "woke" now or whatever? (I don't know enough about Noelle to ask, nor frankly do I care.) The cynical part of me can't help but think that Lani's newfound "woke"-ness means that she's explicitly examining Xander through an ideological lens of how much he's either conforming to or violating her present-day standards of what is acceptable behavior for a male character, with an emphasis on expecting him to fail at every turn, and that's where she's being surprised. I mean, it's not like she's the first to ever do so, much less single out something he does she doesn't like, divorced of any in-story context, for the purpose of ragging on him for being scum for not doing what ideology dictates he "should" be doing.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skippcomet For This Useful Post:

bespangled (21-09-19),Priceless (20-09-19),Sosa lola (20-09-19)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Well they've now moved on to Wild At Heart. They concentrate more on Willow than Oz imo

https://chipperish.com/2019/09/19/91...t-heart-s4-06/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,044 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skippcomet View Post
    Isn't Lani supposed to be "woke" now or whatever?
    It doesn't really matter to me whether she's woke or not, but making up stuff about a character to fit them in some modern term grates my nerves. People are so fixated on labeling to the point of simplifying a very complex character (it also applies to real people).
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (20-09-19),StateOfSiege97 (20-09-19),Stoney (20-09-19)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Buffering have finally done Buffy v Drac

https://www.bufferingthevampireslayer.com/listen

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (20-09-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,096 Times in 805 Posts

I really kinda love Pop Culture Role Call. Give Stasia's reaction to the AR, I'm glad she was happy with how they treated the subject. And I felt the discussion about souls was one I've seen in fandom. What does a soul mean? Why not chip/ensoul all vampires? Humans with souls do horrible things, etc.

I am friends with the podcast on fb, so I posted a bit. It's tricky because you can't spoil anyone so you can't refer to knowledge that has not been seen by at least one character.

We've seen Angel(us), Spike, and Harmony. We know that who they were as humans affects who they became as vampires. Liam was a drunk carouser going through his father's fortune.. Angelus was pure evil without a soul - no humanity there. He was a sadist who enjoyed the terror of his victims, torture, murder, always driving people insane.. He chose weak victims that he knew he could destroy. Cursed with a soul he ate rats in the gutter. With Buffy and a soul he became the Angel we love.

Spike was a bad poet who took care of his aging mother and fell in passionately in love with a woman who spurned him. As a demon he was an adrenaline junkie, seeking out the hardest fights he could find, not caring who he killed. With the chip, he couldn't be a proper monster. - he needed to become more human to survive. William the Bloody Awful Poet got stronger - Spike falling in love with a woman who spurns him and trying to take care of her - but he was still a vampire, a predator. With a soul - right now he is tortured.

Harmony just sorta stayed Harmony. The best she can manage is kinda bad. I have no idea if she would change or care about her victims if she had a soul.

You also have Dru, Kralik, Vamp Willow, and Trick. Vampires are as individual as humans. Can you imagine Angelus chipped?
    They all read and respond - I think Colin is the one who responds most often.
    Pop Culture Role Call Yeah, I honestly think that the soul concept and what it does (or does not) impact with our demonic characters is the hardest thing to get straight with how we watch the show. It sounds like it's already complicated normally, but, like with spike, not really seeing his true demon self on regular display softens him to us. It makes it hard to grasp his true nature.

The concept itself is just starting to clear up finally. Just not sure what the worth of a soul is still, if anything. Why it truly matters at the end of the day.
    Me - I think it actually made it hard for Spike to realize and grasp his true nature as well. He was pretty much the first and only Clockwork vampire.
    He liked the comment. Since this will be an important topic for the season, it's nice to try to point them where the deductions are.

I have not been able to listen to the last three Still Pretty podcasts. The two before I had to cut short because I was so tired of the same lecture over and over. But I still like Still Dead.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (21-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    I really kinda love Pop Culture Role Call. Give Stasia's reaction to the AR, I'm glad she was happy with how they treated the subject. And I felt the discussion about souls was one I've seen in fandom. What does a soul mean? Why not chip/ensoul all vampires? Humans with souls do horrible things, etc.

I am friends with the podcast on fb, so I posted a bit. It's tricky because you can't spoil anyone so you can't refer to knowledge that has not been seen by at least one character.

They all read and respond - I think Colin is the one who responds most often.

He liked the comment. Since this will be an important topic for the season, it's nice to try to point them where the deductions are.

I have not been able to listen to the last three Still Pretty podcasts. The two before I had to cut short because I was so tired of the same lecture over and over. But I still like Still Dead.
    Where did you write your comment? I remember commenting once on their comment section in the website and my comment was deleted.
    Made by Trickyboxes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 588 Posts

Facebook

Sosa lola, did you listen to the episode already? I thought their reaction to the "Is there anyone here ..." scene would have made you happy.

- - - Updated - - -

And I felt the discussion about souls was one I've seen in fandom. What does a soul mean? Why not chip/ensoul all vampires? Humans with souls do horrible things, etc.
    Oh yeah, this is the forever returning discussion.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Sosa lola (22-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dutchess View Post
    Facebook

Sosa lola, did you listen to the episode already? I thought their reaction to the "Is there anyone here ..." scene would have made you happy.
    Do you mean Beneath You? No, I haven't, but now I'm very excited!
    Made by Trickyboxes

Thanks

Finally listened to Pop Culture Role Call. They spent a lot of time talking about other things, which was a little annoying.

Spoiler:
    They also think Xander ate Principal Flutie and I was disappointed that they don't have abetter memory of the early episodes, but perhaps I'm expecting too much as only one of them saw that scene (though Mike has seen the show several times). Stasia was also confused about the Spike and Xander look in the Bronze and she wondered if they actually had slept together

I thought Stasia retold the chapel scene pretty well. She hit all the right notes. (Though I thought buckets of salt meant semen? Tears fits too) She does totally run over Mike trying to differentiate between Angel's soul being a punishment while Spike went looking for his. Their confusion about the soul makes sense, and is something the fans have been arguing about since the show aired. Spike was 'good' prior to being souled, or not as evil as Angel and was that due to the chip? Should Buffy have been chipping the vampires, should be we be pro-Initiative? What does the soul add? These are all good questions, and in a later episode Dawn asks Buffy the exact same thing, that people who have souls do terrible things, so what good is a soul really.

The language Stasia uses against Spike for not going to Angel 'prideful . . . hateful' is interesting. She's such an Angel fan and she hasn't seen his past with Spike as we have. It could be something Buffy herself thought about, and I bet Xander thinks it and probably said it out loud, hoping Spike would disappear to LA and never come back I think she's assuming Buffy and Spike will pick up where they left off and start their relationship up again.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (23-09-19),Sosa lola (24-09-19),SpuffyGlitz (24-09-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,210 Posts

....and once again I ask what is the point of all this?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (23-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    ....and once again I ask what is the point of all this?
    It's just interesting to listen to. There's no big secret about it. Of course it's not for everyone, but I enjoy it

Also wanted to ask if anyone else is listening to Buffy Boys, the Irish lads doing a Buffy podcast from a queer/feminist/literature viewpoint? They started out too woke to take seriously but their reviews have been pretty good and their Beauty and the Beasts review surprised me with their insight and admittance of what they didn't know. I'd highly recommend them.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (23-09-19),Silver1 (23-09-19),Sosa lola (24-09-19)

Thanks

I don't think there's any contest that would fill those buckets with sperm shed because of Buffy's death or "ending". They were definitely tears.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (24-09-19)

Thanks

I don't think there's any contest that would fill those buckets with sperm shed because of Buffy's death or "ending". They were definitely tears.
    It definitely could be tears. I wouldn't argue with that. I do think it could be read either way, especially with the 'holding myself' part, but then he talks about her 'ending', so it's not clear cut.

Did you make me weak, thinking of you, holding myself, and spilling useless buckets of salt over your... ending?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (24-09-19)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Chipperish have done The Initiative

https://chipperish.com/2019/09/26/92...tiative-s4-07/

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

Priceless (27-09-19),Silver1 (27-09-19)

Thanks

Because I am a masochist I started listening to Slayerfest98's review of Dead Things, one of my very favourite episodes and I had to stop within the first five minutes

Pop Culture Role Call did Same Place, Same Time and that was enjoyable.

Spoiler:
    Stasia feels bad for Spike then feels upset that the show is framing him as pitiful and she's feeling sorry for him, because he's a terrible person. She's conflicted . . . should she be treating her attempted rapist so badly?
    Last edited by Priceless; 28-09-19 at 09:35 AM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (28-09-19)

Thanks

Pop Culture Role Call's Help episode -

Spoiler:
    Stasia calls staking the vamp in the funeral home 'murder', so they are still thinking of Buffy that way. Stasia didn't think the vamp was very threatening with 'I'm not peaceful' line. I get that they want Buffy to give every vamp a chance, as though more of them could become like Spike, but they just haven't thought through the logistics of that, or how pro-Initiative that would be, and whether that's a good thing.

Colin was disappointed at the Tara grave scene. They all wanted more of a goodbye and wondered whether Tara was an unpopular character. I can just imagine how they're going to react to Kennedy

Still feels like Stasia is conflicted about Spike. She wanted him punished, but isn't enjoying the method of punishment.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (07-10-19),Stoney (07-10-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BtVS fan View Post
    Chipperish have done The Initiative
    Is it worth listening to? I haven't listened to their last five or so because I am so tired of the same damn lecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Pop Culture Role Call's Help episode -

Spoiler:
    Stasia calls staking the vamp in the funeral home 'murder', so they are still thinking of Buffy that way. Stasia didn't think the vamp was very threatening with 'I'm not peaceful' line. I get that they want Buffy to give every vamp a chance, as though more of them could become like Spike, but they just haven't thought through the logistics of that, or how pro-Initiative that would be, and whether that's a good thing.

Colin was disappointed at the Tara grave scene. They all wanted more of a goodbye and wondered whether Tara was an unpopular character. I can just imagine how they're going to react to Kennedy

Still feels like Stasia is conflicted about Spike. She wanted him punished, but isn't enjoying the method of punishment.
    I posted on the fb page about why Jews put rocks on grave stones. It's a symbol of wanting the deceased loved one back on earth - literally bringing the earth to them. It's not like bringing flowers. Colin thanked me, and said the scene made better sense.

I love the whole 'Buffy should save the vamps' thing they have going. I wonder where that will end up. The soul questions, OTH, are discussed in season 7 so that should be satisfying.

I love Stasia's conflict. I'm really curious how it will all shake out.

Looks like another disc surgery for me - really limiting my online time.
    Last edited by bespangled; 07-10-19 at 11:29 PM.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (08-10-19),Priceless (07-10-19),Silver1 (08-10-19)

Thanks

Is it worth listening to? I haven't listened to their last five or so because I am so tired of the same damn lecture.
    Not sure what BtVS fan thought, but i actually enjoyed it for a change. The wokeness was kept to a minimum

I love Stasia's conflict. I'm really curious how it will all shake out.
    Me too. She was so angry at Spike and wanted him punished so badly, but I don't think for one moment she expected this sort of mental distress to be his punishment and she really doesn't know how to feel about it.

Looks like another disc surgery for me - really limiting my online time.
    Sorry to hear this. Wishing you luck and hope the surgery goes well and the recovery time is short.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (08-10-19),BtVS fan (08-10-19)