View Poll Results: Will you watch the premiere of "Runaways"?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 45.45%
  • No

1 9.09%
  • Maybe

1 9.09%
  • I'm not paying for Hulu just for this!

4 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marvel's "Runaways" with James Marsters set to premiere on Hulu on Nov. 21, 2017.

Thanks

Silver1

Victor Stein is by far the most important and most powerful member of PRIDE; I don’t see how any of the PRIDE members would dare to try to kill him. His machine simply didn’t work once.

-- Geoffrey Wilder and he are the most flesh-out members of PRIDE—all the other parents seem almost one-dimensional. Wilder himself is really only 2-dimensional. James plays the only 3-dimensional parent.

Nebula1400

* James Marsters was part of the promotion for Runaways and it seems very doubtful he’d sign onto a series as a series regular on a TV series that films in Los Angeles if it was only going to be a short-term part. James in interviews—in my opinion—seems to reason he’ll be on the series as long as the series isn’t cancelled.

Moreover, Victor Stein is the only parent who seems to be trying to do good in the world. The other parents seem only in PRIDE for selfish monetary reasons.

TimeTravellingBunny

* One of the Runaways was trying to prevent her crush friend and her blonde pretty friend from being together. One of the parents is a former gang member who seems only in PRIDE for money and power. One of the parents is the CEO of a tech company but we’ve seen zero signs she’s actually qualified for that and probably only has that position because of PRIDE. 2 of the parents are essentially hippies who only seem to have any money, power, and resources because of PRIDE.

The Runaways are all entitled spoiled ‘rich kids’ who seem to have little—if any—concern for anyone outside of the (310) area code.

Victor Stein is an a-hole to his wife and son but his wife doesn’t seem to contribute anything to PRIDE (she’s simply Victor’s wife and mother to his son), doesn’t seem to contribute anything to his business and the world, etc. Victor wants his son to get high grades and to be a force for good in the world.

Victor is trying to save Earth and the human population—I don’t see how Victor is less sympathetic than any of the other parents and I could argue he’s more sympathetic than some of the Runaways (for example, only the Asian one wanted to inform the police of their parents’ activities and even that seemed mostly because she considered their parents killed her sister).

* You’re correct regarding the power dynamics of the parents, I should have only written “Regarding the parents, James Marsters plays the only parent (Victor Stein) in which the man is the ‘alpha’ or ‘dominant’ one”.

* Teams need a leader or leaders (a single leader generally is better). Alex Wilder seems the leader of the Runaways.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,414 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post

TimeTravellingBunny

* One of the Runaways was trying to prevent her crush friend and her blonde pretty friend from being together.
    Gert wasn't trying to do anything. She just looked upset when she thought Chase and Karolina were a thing. (Just like Karolina is now obviously upset that Nico and Alex are a thing.) Not that she actually had to worry about that.

I'm not sure why you're bringing that up, anyway?

One of the parents is a former gang member who seems only in PRIDE for money and power. One of the parents is the CEO of a tech company but we’ve seen zero signs she’s actually qualified for that and probably only has that position because of PRIDE. 2 of the parents are essentially hippies who only seem to have any money, power, and resources because of PRIDE.
    What is your point?
    The Runaways are all entitled spoiled ‘rich kids’ who seem to have little—if any—concern for anyone outside of the (310) area code.
    Obviously wrong, since Alex was very concerned with saving Andre, and they all went along with it and tried to save him, and that Karolina was very worried about Destiny and wanted to save her. And what evidence do you have that the kids don't care about anyone outside of their area?

Maybe it's time to accept that the parents are all horrible people and this show's villains, while the kids aren't horrible people and are the show's heroes?

* Teams need a leader or leaders (a single leader generally is better). Alex Wilder seems the leader of the Runaways.
    No, it doesn't, and no, he's not. They're a group of friends who discuss everything they do.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Nebula1400 (08-12-17),Silver1 (12-12-17)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Well
    Spoiler:
    It looks like Victors been saved

Had more of a soapy episode feel to this weeks, but as I'm enjoying seeing the parents emotionally tie themselves in knots I don't mind. If nothing else it gives wee Jimmy more screen time.

Thanks

I might binge this between Christmas and New Year's, just general opinions: How is it so far?

SHIELD's started off strong this year as well though the creepy factor/best-comic tie in has to go to The Gifted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkOOk1cy9ww

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

buffylover (13-12-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,988 Times in 2,864 Posts

Do the episodes that have aired so far stay available to view? If so, I might opt for a free trial of Hulu so I can just watch the lot within the trial period and then cancel.

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

I have no idea bout Hulu I'm afraid. I manage to watch these episodes through 'other' means. *g*

If you want a flavor there are a few rundowns/snippits over on Youtube.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanSlayer View Post
    I might binge this between Christmas and New Year's, just general opinions: How is it so far?

SHIELD's started off strong this year as well though the creepy factor/best-comic tie in has to go to The Gifted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkOOk1cy9ww
    It's better then some Marvel shows imo (production values alone are excellent), but it is aimed at the younger end of the market, even though the parents manage to make it more then just super powered teens sighing at each other. The original comics that came out in 2003 were praised at the time.

I've seen people moan about It's slow pace, but I have no problem with that myself.

I'm pleased that JM got this gig as It allows him to appear at the age he is, and not trying to play younger. He's very much the 'Dad' now.
    Last edited by Silver1; 13-12-17 at 03:20 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Andrew S. (13-12-17),Stoney (13-12-17)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Do the episodes that have aired so far stay available to view? If so, I might opt for a free trial of Hulu so I can just watch the lot within the trial period and then cancel.
    They stay available to view. I plan to do the same thing once the season ends, or do the same thing as Silver1 and use 'other' means. I've heard good things about it. I read some of the comic series a few years ago. I don't remember much of what happened, but I do remember enjoying the story well enough. Hope I enjoy the series as well.

It was created by Josh Schwartz, who created The O.C. and Chuck, two series that I like a lot and thought did a good job of writing interesting characters and compelling storylines. So that's another reason I'm interested in this, in addition to James Marsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1
    Had more of a soapy episode feel to this weeks, but as I'm enjoying seeing the parents emotionally tie themselves in knots I don't mind. If nothing else it gives wee Jimmy more screen time.
    Occasional descent into soapiness? Yep, must be a Schwartz show. I'm glad to hear the parents are getting some good material. The O.C. was mainly a teen show but it also gave its adult characters a lot to do, so I'm not surprised about Runaways apparently doing the same.
    Last edited by Andrew S.; 13-12-17 at 10:38 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew S. For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (13-12-17),Stoney (13-12-17)

Thanks

Side note: Disney now owns most of Fox including about 60% of Hulu now. X-Men and Fantastic Four too. A lot of MCU stuff will probably move there in a few years and away from Netflix. They've also got Spidey on lock for a Homecoming sequel though Sony is trying to build it's own franchise with Spidey characters. But as of now all Marvel characters are under 1 roof again.

The only bit I'm confused on is Disney now has The Simpsons, Family Guy etc. though Fox is keeping it's network; supposedly cutting down if not out of scripted shows in general. So...does ABC suddenly start airing The Simpsons then? Disney has full control over FX so things like Archer and Legion can continue as long as Disney lets them but with The Gifted, Brooklyn 99 etc I'm unclear.
    Last edited by DanSlayer; 14-12-17 at 07:21 PM.