Thread: Angel S11 # 10 Isuse Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,102 Posts

Default Angel S11 # 10 Isuse Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Opening the issue thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 399 Posts

OK, until the ending I would have said this issue was the strongest of the batch. Angel calling out Illyria for making her past better but not doing the same for him made sense even if Angel's in a selfish emotionally mode. Fred does call him out on erasing Connor but he counters with how much pain Connor went through. Sort of weak when we consider he's stable now but they haven't invested in Connor at all for the past two seasons so with limited pages I get it. The thing with Angel and his sister hit the right spots if not extraordinary.

They still haven't explained the "why" of the mission or the time travel well enough. For people who thought this was all about setting up Fred/Angel, they've thrown a curve-ball. On a surface level another immortal being with a dark past that is frankly far more powerful then Angel/Angelus would seem to be a decent match for him. They've been going for Illyria becoming more human-like while sharing space with Fred, though this is quite a leap. Dark Horse has never tried to have Angel in another relationship; and other then the small thing with Nina (after Buffy's show was off air), they've never really seriously committed to Angel having a non-Buffy relationship. Cangel never got a true chance and Darla was his low point. While there is potential here I'm not exactly excited about it but I don't necessarily hate the idea either. I'm assuming it''ll carry on to when/if we get S12.
    Last edited by DanSlayer; 25-10-17 at 03:55 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

betta (25-10-17)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,102 Posts

I'm going to admit I think I'm close to calling it quits on the comics.Even with the elements I still enjoy,I was thinking about it before season 11 started due to financial reasons(I collect/read many books and with the amount of titles and price points,I've had to shave some series which I would of stayed on)I decide to stay on the Buffy season since they were cutting down the number of issues drastically in this season to 12 each and not doing lots of tie-in miniseries(just the Giles one which is now coming after the monthly books wrap).

The financial is still a factor and even though for the most part I liked Buffy's title in season 11.,I won't lie,the spuffy aspect has been a real turn off for me since the beginning.Then factor in how disappointed I've found Angel this season.Now add on the idea of Angel/Illyria.I may of reached my limit and can't continue to spend money on stuff which has elements that I really like but some big elements I don't to the point where it's effecting my overall enjoyment now.Not with how expensive comics are and the amount of other books I read.

I'll have my copies of this week's issues by Friday and will see how everything actually reads for me.I'll give my overall thoughts on Buffy's book this season after that.

For everybody who is still enjoying the comics,I hope you continue to.

I will definitely finish Angel this season and probably get the Giles miniseries.If there is a season 12 announcement in the spring(and I think there will be),I'll decide then if I will continue reading.

Even if I don't I'll follow what's going via the forums and articles and I'll still bring news over.I just won't be commenting if I'm not actually reading the comics.

Like,I said,I'll wait before deciding but right now I'm close to calling it quits after season 11.

I probably won't make a final decision until we know whats going on with a season 12.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanSlayer View Post
    OK, until the ending I would have said this issue was the strongest of the batch.
    Yes, I agree - the stuff with Angel's sister and father are great.

Angel calling out Illyria for making her past better but not doing the same for him made sense even if Angel's in a selfish emotionally mode. Fred does call him out on erasing Connor but he counters with how much pain Connor went through.
    I've came to the conclusion that the thing that is more important to Angel is His Redemption; so, no surprise here, IMO it's in character.

They still haven't explained the "why" of the mission or the time travel well enough. For people who thought this was all about setting up Fred/Angel, they've thrown a curve-ball. On a surface level another immortal being with a dark past that is frankly far more powerful then Angel/Angelus would seem to be a decent match for him. They've been going for Illyria becoming more human-like while sharing space with Fred, though this is quite a leap. Dark Horse has never tried to have Angel in another relationship; and other then the small thing with Nina (after Buffy's show was off air), they've never really seriously committed to Angel have a non-Buffy relationship. Cangel never got a true chance and Darla was his low point. While there is potential here I'm not exactly excited about it but I don't necessarily hate the idea either. I'm assuming it''ll carry on to when/if we get S12.
    I wonder what are Fred's feelings in all this - Illyria may have the hots for Angel - at that particular moment - but how about Fred? She's aware of what Illyria does, but doesn't always agree with her.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 641 Posts

Best issue so far, but that's a low bar to hit.

Ending was a surprise. I don't think we've seen any sexual/romantic chemistry between Illyria and Angel before, so this kind of comes out of left field.

Really nice scenes between Angel and his family, although I'd have liked to see more.

The issue raises as interesting question on how Fred/Illyria handle relationships. How does consent work when they are sharing the same body? How does privacy work?

Would Angel really be in the mood for sex after seeing his freshly slaughtered family?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vampire in Rug For This Useful Post:

betta (27-10-17),Stoney (26-10-17)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Can someone please transcribe this issue for me? I'm blind, and I'm unable to read the comics with a

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

Wow, I think this is the first issue I really liked. Full of emotion and surprises!

Angel returning to Galway – in the time he was still alive – is something I very much liked to see, his interactions with his father, and mainly with his little sister Kathy; it was touching Angel seeing her after so many centuries, and I can even understand the vampire’s desperation to prevent her (and his whole family’s) tragic destiny.

The decision to redirect himself and Illyria to Galway was wrong – once more, Angel puts His Redemption above everything else, and wants to be in his old village to prevent himself from being sired by Darla, without thinking about the consequences as always (going against the Senior Partners, creating Twilight…). He even thinks that it would be better for Connor if he never had been born.

But after seeing Kathy… even his father (and remembering an interaction with him when he was a child)… it would be rather difficult to think straight, I get that. Anyway, Angel is stopped from changing his fate by Illyria, who has clearly understood by now that messing with the past isn’t something they should be doing, at all.

The surprise comes in the end: Angel and Illyria kiss. Now, I wouldn’t mind if some savage sex between these two happened – Angel deserves some action – but there’s the Fred factor. She is aware of what happens with Illyria, aware of what she does, and I wonder how she’s taken the kiss… because if she doesn’t feel the same, we have trouble… However, I believe Illyria wouldn’t be interested in romance, and what could be happening is that Fred is the one influencing Illyria; I mean, Fred’s feelings are playing a part in the kiss.

Angel was the “handsome man who saved her from the monsters", and since Fred has returned from the dead, she’s become very attached to him – the only remaining person from the old gang. Then, they’ve started this journey into the past together. You know, once a wise man said: It’s not so unusual. Two people… in the workplace… feelings develop, remember?

Which are Angel’s feelings or motivations, I don’t know; is he developing feelings for Fred/Illyria? Is he just horny? Will it lead to something between them, will it only cause some awkwardness and be done in one panel? I’m cool with any option.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

Thanks
    Thanked 3,915 Times in 1,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by illyriafan View Post
    Can someone please transcribe this issue for me? I'm blind, and I'm unable to read the comics with a
    I don't read the book and have been long out of transcription game, but maybe someone that read it could provide a condensed but thorough plot summary?

Banner by LRae12

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 641 Posts

The short version is that Angel wanted to prevent Liam from being sired into a vampire but Fred and Illyria have come to the conclusion that screwing with the timeline, especially that severely is a bad idea. Angel tries anyway, Illyria forcefully stops him. She doesn't have enough energy to jump back to the present, but she jumps Angel a few hours ahead so it's too late for him to save his family. Angel and Illyria hide out in the barn while the villagers look for who caused all the death. Illyria tried to comfort Angel with a hug, Angel comments on how much more human she has become, then they kiss.

I don't know what to make of the kiss because we've never seen that kind of chemistry between them before, so it kind of came out of nowhere.

That said, I do remember in After the Fall, Illyria planted a kiss on Spike because she wanted to become his number one priority. I don't think it's completely out of character for Illyria to use her sexuality as a tool to get what she wants. Maybe she figures Angel will be easier to keep under control if she bangs him? Although it's really creepy with Fred stuck in the passenger seat.