Thread: Childhood Shows

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 2,849 Posts

Default Childhood Shows

So I just watched the first two episodes of the first season of the Robin of Sherwood 1984-86 tv series with my kids, Robin Hood & the Sorcerer part 1 & 2. I have the first two seasons on DVD, I haven't yet replaced the third season from when I lost my video recorder, but I will eventually (I just didn't like the second Robin anywhere near as much). I was just under six when they first aired and I watched them so much I used to drive my parents batty reciting the lines along with the characters. It is a series that was very much a major part of my childhood. I just wondered how well it was known elsewhere, or how well people in the UK remembered it too?

Also, with the latest season of Twin Peaks airing so recently too, another one from my youth albeit a bit later/early teenage years, I wondered what other shows people loved and watched repeatedly as a child?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,670 Posts

Well BtVS was my favourite childhood show as it started when I was just 7 and I have really fond memories of watching it. I cherish S1 in particular as it aired here in the summer school holidays and whenever I watch those episodes I get very nostalgic as it was a really blissful, happy time in my life.

Other than BtVS, my shows can really be divided into specific times of my life;

Very early childhood;

- Postman Pat
    - Knoddy
    - Thomas the Tank Engine
    - Playschool

Early Primary School;

- Captain Planet
    - Banana Man
    - Super Ted
    - Raggy Dolls
    - William's Wish Wellingtons
    - Budgie the Flying Helicopter
    - Rugrats
    - Ahh Real Monsters
    - Hey Arnold
    - Mintie
    - Xena & Hercules
    - The Nanny
    - Spellbinders
    - Lois & Clark
    - The Pretender (this was my babysitters favourite show)
    - Spider-Man cartoon
    - Xmen cartoon
    - Goosebumps

Late primary school/beginning of middle school;

- Pokemon
    - Dragon Ball Z
    - Angel (and still BtVS obviously)

Teens;

- The OC (throughout high school and my first year out of high school - hugely popular at the time and my generation's Beverly Hills 90210)
    - Skins (just after I finished HS. It spoke to us at that age when we started experimenting more, dabbling in recreational drugs/drinking more often, how we dressed, newfound freedoms and a little bit of scariness as well)

BtVS also ended when I was in Year 9 so I did a lot of rewatching throughout those teen years.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 25-06-17 at 01:48 PM.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Stoney (25-06-17)

Thanks

Ah, Raggy Dolls, I'm going to have that theme song playing in my head all day now.

We watched a lot of cartoons and kid shows during primary school years, and Robin of Sherwood of course. But otherwise, my dad was very into sci fi shows so we were always exposed to things like Star Trek and Dr Who, and then older shows that were always on like Man from UNCLE. By the time I was hitting my teens I was watching Red Dwarf, Twin Peaks and then Friends started too.

I was an adult before I saw BtVS, after the show had finished airing, and I'm often quite taken aback at how young some people saw it. I do think there is always the argument that kids process things at their own level, but I don't want to introduce things too early and tend to err to the cautious side with my kids. I think the certification for BtVS is 15 over here, but I was thinking my kids will be at least 13ish before getting to start with S1. I know I saw some things earlier than recommended as a kid, but rarely very far out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

vampmogs (25-06-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,670 Posts

In Australia BtVS S1 actually aired at 7:30pm, which is a pretty kid-friendly timeslot. It didnít move to 10:30pm until midway through S2 (Phases was the last episode to be aired at 7:30pm) and then thatís where it remained for the rest of the series. There really isnít a lot about S1 that wouldnít be suitable for children unless your children frighten easily. Some of the earlier plots (Teachers Pet & The Puppet Show) are very reminiscent of Goosebumps and the monster designs are pretty tame overall. The fight sequences in S1 arenít very violent and most of the gore and bloodshed is implied rather than shown.

It's very true that kid's only process what they understand. Any references or jokes to things beyond my years went right over my head anyway. As a child, I was far more interested in the monsters & fight scenes rather than the sexual innuendos. And BtVS S1 is really tame anyway. I just rewatched Clueless today and I am always amazed at what went over my head as a kid. My sister used to watch that movie religiously when we were children and yet I had no memory of all the sex jokes or drug use. I had no idea they were smoking a joint at the party (I would have assumed it was a cigarette), or that the "vases" Travis donated were in fact his bongs, or that Christian was gay (and I'm gay!), or why Amber's social life was ruined because her plastic surgeon advised she couldn't have "balls flying at her face", or why Tye was so excited that they have "coke" at school etc. I laughed at the movie when I was kid but as a grownup I have no idea what I was laughing at because I wouldn't have understood any of it

I also feel that BtVS had a real positive impact on my development as it was important to introduce young girls and boys to female protagonists and heroines. I am really grateful that I grew up having somebody like Buffy as a role model and I admired her just as much as I did Spider-Man.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 25-06-17 at 01:49 PM.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Stoney (25-06-17),TimeTravellingBunny (25-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    In Australia BtVS S1 actually aired at 7:30pm, which is a pretty kid-friendly timeslot. It didn’t move to 10:30pm until midway through S2 (Phases was the last episode to be aired at 7:30pm) and then that’s where it remained for the rest of the series. There really isn’t a lot about S1 that wouldn’t be suitable for children unless your children frighten easily. Some of the earlier plots (Teachers Pet & The Puppet Show) are very reminiscent of Goosebumps and the monster designs are pretty tame overall. The fight sequences in S1 aren’t very violent and most of the gore and bloodshed is implied rather than shown.

It's very true that kid's only process what they understand. Any references or jokes to things beyond my years went right over my head anyway. As a child, I was far more interested in the monsters & fight scenes rather than the sexual innuendos. And BtVS S1 is really tame anyway. I just rewatched Clueless today and I am always amazed at what went over my head as a kid. My sister used to watch that movie religiously when we were children and yet I had no memory of all the sex jokes or drug use. I had no idea they were smoking a joint at the party (I would have assumed it was a cigarette), or that the "vases" Travis donated were in fact his bongs, or that Christian was gay (and I'm gay!), or why Amber's social life was ruined because her plastic surgeon advised she couldn't have "balls flying at her face", or why Tye was so excited that they have "coke" at school etc. I laughed at the movie when I was kid but as a grownup I have no idea what I was laughing at because I wouldn't have understood any of it

I also feel that BtVS had a real positive impact on my development as it was important to introduce young girls and boys to female protagonists and heroines. I am really grateful that I grew up having somebody like Buffy as a role model and I admired her just as much as I did Spider-Man.
    It's a difficult call quite often, what you allow and/or introduce when. I can see the positives that BtVS can bring to a younger child for sure and your point about having a positive female role model is a great one. But still I'm not totally comfortable with hoping that either the innocence is enough for some things to go fully over their heads or alternately that the maturity is enough to see the topics broadly and not risk a distorted/incorrect message being taken away. I think S1 is probably passable for some younger viewers, (assuming the attempted rapes of The Pack and Teacher's Pet are one of those things that goes over their heads). I'm not surprised the air time changed with the second season though, I really wouldn't want my kids watching that before they are in their early teens I don't think. Although I don't feel the things I watched before I should have done when a child were damaging (and my accessing them had nothing to do with my parents, ha), you've also got to factor in a kid's personality and previous exposures too. Even S1 would be a very significant shift for my kids on seeing characters in peril, seeing violence/deaths and sexual/romantic relationships too. But some of those same things did give me pause before I showed them Robin of Sherwood too. Perhaps there is also the factor with BtVS that the uber fan in me is reluctant too, rather than just the parent. I wonder if watching it too young would reduce the impact the stories could have when they are at an age to follow/appreciate it all better on their first viewing. It obviously didn't for you, but there must also be some who watched it young and never properly appreciated it.

Another tv series I watched a huge amount as a child, and can't believe I forgot about before, was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Did that show in other countries back in the 80s? I'm never sure how worldwide things were originally.
    Last edited by Stoney; 25-06-17 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks

Revivifying this thread, because it seems like fun. I'm a bit older than some of the people here, so my list includes:

Captain Kangaroo (the Mr. Rogers of my time)
    Beanie and Cecil, Rocky&Bullwinkle (very early childhood)
    The Shari Lewis Show (age 4/5)
    The Mickey Mouse Club (till I turned 7)
    Bewitched, The Dick Van Dyke Show (until about age 10 or so)
    Star Trek (I still catch an episode or 6 of TOS now and then. It's still pretty good! Memorized every word of every episode as a kid.)
    The Avengers (but only the Emma Peel years)

I moved out quite young (age 16) and stopped watching TV for many years. I started watching again at age 22, when I had my first child.