Thread: Buffy # 6 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 792 Posts

Default Buffy # 6 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

The issue is out tomorrow.Here's the thread and a first advanced review.

http://wickedhorror.com/comics/comic...y-season-11-6/

Comic Review: Buffy Season 11 #6

By Nat Brehmer
    April 18, 2017

Finally, Buffy Season 11 has started rolling out some of the details for the endgame of this season. At the very least, we begin to find out some crucial details about what people are planning on the outside, what the prison colony is really for, and what the overall stakes are. And the stakes, of course, are the most important thing now that we are already halfway through the season.

The issue is divided up pretty well between our three current leads. It’s been interesting to have a more narrow character focus. Season eight was obviously overstuffed with characters, but seasons nine and ten didn’t actually do all that much to lighten the load. Now, with Buffy, Willow and Spike being trapped inside the prison colony. Focusing on these three characters has allowed us to go deeper with them—which is always what Buffy has excelled at.

This issue does that very well. Spike is not as much in the forefront, but Buffy obviously is. She’s now on a mission to get to the bottom of whatever’s going on because she is hell bent on getting her people out of there. She’s furthering the plot, for the most part, but in a way that feels organic. She’s at the end of her rope and she knows that the other guards will figure out her allegiances. She’s running out of time and the issue does a great job at conveying her sense of desperation.

Willow, meanwhile, is dealing with an arguably more complicated dilemma. She’s been a leader to the Wiccan community that’s become trapped inside the Safe Zone. But it’s become so unsafe that the other Wiccans are asking Willow to siphon away their power so that they can get out. This is such a great plot point because it puts Willow into such an uncomfortable position. This is against everything she believes in, but she’s doing it to keep her people safe.

Spike sticks to the background a bit, but he plays a very supportive role. He understands what Buffy’s doing, understands the stakes of it, he’s willing to die to keep her safe which is a very Spike thing to do. He’s always been the realest in these situations though, so it is definitely in keeping with his character for him to be the one to suggest that they might not make it out of this and that things ultimately might not work out. But that’s still a long road of character development from the old days where he would constantly be telling everyone that they were definitely going to die.

It’s nice to have Rebekah Isaacs back on art duties after a hiatus featuring Georges Jeanty. He defined this series when it began with season eight, but Rebekah has come to define it in its current incarnation.

This is definitely a strong issue character-wise and I’m happy to see that the plot is picking up and becoming more clearly defined.

WICKED RATING: 7.5/10

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (19-04-17),Clavus (19-04-17),Stoney (19-04-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,735 Times in 2,755 Posts

I've only had a first quick read through but I thought this was a solid issue. Buffy's fight and smarts in pressing the ogre about his motivations was great, although her reference to Giles as her teacher threw me for a moment. The link to Helpless and the removal of her powers was obviously a deliberate foreshadowing reference. I really liked the quickly hatched plan to get Willow through the sensor too but I was hoping that some of the reveal of what is happening with the outside crews and the machine being built was going to be something I hadn't expected from seeing future covers/solicitations. But, regardless, I still found it enjoyable.

The questions I had over whether some species would be able to survive having inherent magic drained from them was also directly addressed, some can and others can't. I assume they are using 'magic' in a broad way as it isn't magic as such that animates a vampire but a demonic essence, so they must be intending such supernatural powers to be something that can be drawn out too (which I think works alongside what Severin was doing in S9, unless I'm misremembering).

But there are still issues here in Buffy's defence of all things supernatural when she has been preemptively killing many of these species for years and when Angel's and Spike's stories are structured on how unsouled vampires can't be trusted. It feels to me still like they need to distinguish that some demons just aren't inherently dangerous to humans, or perhaps acknowledge that demons being public has changed the dynamics and with that Buffy's duty to now being responsive to current and proven threats (although I doubt that would hold true if I looked back over the previous three seasons). And this comes back to the problems of using demons as a metaphor for others, because you can't create 'lesser' others! You can't have the ones who should be persecuted. As much as I think expanding understanding of the supernatural world to see some demons as not being inherently dangerous to humans is a workable broadening, it doesn't work to suddenly apply that across the board to all demons and keep Buffy's actions past as heroic and keep the two souled vampire's stories intact. At the moment Buffy's reactions can still be seen to be due to the indiscriminate way the supernatural is being treated, and so in becoming the defender of all she is trying to protect those she should. But that is still an issue because it means there are some 'others' who shouldn't be protected and so it remains a bit of a hot mess. But when I turn away from all that rumbling underneath it all, I'm enjoying the season well enough, I'm just wary of what jumble is going to be the end result.
    Last edited by Stoney; 19-04-17 at 12:47 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (19-04-17),Clavus (19-04-17),Silver1 (19-04-17),TimeTravellingBunny (22-04-17)

Slayer
    Thanks

The Christos Gage Slayalive Q/A for Buffy # 6 has started.

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...854#post124854

The Rebekah Isaacs Slayalive Q/A for Buffy # 6 has started.

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...855#post124855

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-04-17),betta (20-04-17),Silver1 (19-04-17)

Thanks

Solid issue, I loved it!

Buffy kicks ass - the Ogre is another bully who deep down is just a coward, the Slayer reduces him to tears; plus Buffy and Willow come up with a smart plan and show great team work, along with Spike pretending to be the over protective boyfriend who has no boundariesÖ

And Willow struggles with two issues: her (reciprocated) feelings for Calliope (the girl kisses Will!), which is something she isnít ready to deal with (Calliope has a girlfriend outside the Safe Zone and Will isnít confortable with that); and the much harder but necessary job of draining the magic from a few fellow Wiccans (those who chose to be drained), for them to be allowed to leave the camp. Willow feels bad in doing this, but ends up greatly energized and this is yet one more thing the witch has to deal: she must control herself. As I said before, it isnít about the (little) power the Wiccans had, but the fundamental energy of all them that now are part of Willow. Will it be an issue for her in the future?

And the plot moves forward Ė Willow manages to leave the camp with Buffy for 20 minutes, and after seeing what is being produced in the many facilities by the demon crews, she figures out that the Government is up to no good: the one big machine that combines magic and science has as its purpose drain the magic from supernatural beings, just like Willow has done (as Spike points outÖ), but on a much larger scale, and with malign purposes. The task, if itís completed, will put in danger the lives of many species Ė including vampires (and Spike will be no more). Itís time to take action.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-04-17),American Aurora (22-04-17),Clavus (21-04-17),Silver1 (20-04-17)

Slayer
    Thanks

Full Christos Gage Slayalive Q/A for Buffy # 6

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...fy-Season-11-6
    Last edited by BAF; 21-04-17 at 07:36 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-04-17),Clavus (22-04-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,735 Times in 2,755 Posts

I might give up trying to pose questions in the Q&A because they rarely seem to understand what I'm asking, ha. I think it was partially covered by the answer to Morphia beforehand, a little bit anyway. Hey ho.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-04-17)

Library Researcher
    Thanks

It was a good Q&A. I got an awesome answer, people I disagreed with, even on this forum, got completely BTFO'd, some with literally the same arguments I personally used - all's right with the world. Like, this is me right now:

Dawn-god has officially lend me her smugness! Yeah...the Q&A made me even more optimistic about this season!

Graveyard Patrol American Aurora's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,190 Times in 286 Posts

a thing of evil:

It was a good Q&A. I got an awesome answer, people I disagreed with, even on this forum, got completely BTFO'd, some with literally the same arguments I personally used - all's right with the world.
    Wow, I'd love some of the drugs you're taking right now!

Having just read the answers, they were all pretty tepid and noncommittal as always. If you thought any one of them was awesome, that's just sad.

Library Researcher
    Thanks

I don't do drugs. Drugs are for losers. As to the answers, yeah, from my perspective they were awesome! For one, the B-but F-frayverse! crowd just got completely BTFO, crushed, destroyed, obliterated etc they won't ever recover from this! How is this not awesome? Next time somebody tries to bring it up, I'll just point them to the Q&A. Boom, done, easy game, easy life. Also, mental image of some morbidly obese American gobbling a sulfur reeking piece of half rotten demon carcass in order to lose weight gave me a chuckle.

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought this issue was pretty good. I'll post more thoughts on it later when I have more time. The season has improved, it's better when it focuses on the plot, -prison environment and scooby relationships, rather than trying to pat itself on the back with crappy political metaphors of demons being minority groups and such.

That said... ATOE, why do you have to create this deliberately abrasive persona for yourself to post with? I notice you don't try to provoke people as often on slayalive, is that because they have more of a moderator presence?

,What's with the nonstop reaction images, this isn't Facebook or 4chan. Why is it so important to "BTFO" people who disagree with you? I don't think the Frayverse is the inevitable future either, but I don't act like... this... about it. Nobody has been "obliterated" over this, and if you're talking about DorothyFan, she will keep insisting that the Frayverse is inevitable no matter what you, Gage or Joss have to say about it. That's her canon and it really doesn't matter what evidence there is to point otherwise. And at the end of the day, does it matter if someone else is wrong? Why the need to gloat like this, do you really think this type of post reflects well on you?

That said, I dont think this Q&A was as concretely anti-Fray as you think it was... he just said that he isn't steering the story there himself, and that any further Fray developments are up to Joss.

If you think drugs are for losers, you're entitled to that opinion. Personally, I'd rather spend time with someone who dabbles in drugs recreationally than someone who spends hours trying to stir shit up on the internet over a licensed comic book continuation of a show that ended over a decade ago but that's just me.

Nice stereotype of the morbidly obese, easily scammed, unintelligent American. If that image makes you chuckle, you really have some low-brow humor.

So... back to the issue... who else thinks Caliope might turn dark later in the season to mirror Willow's journey? I think we will see the camp take a toll on her, and didn't Willow mention that she's become more militant? I predict Willow's rejection of her kiss in this issue will come back to haunt her.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vampire in Rug For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (23-04-17),Clavus (23-04-17),Francy (23-04-17),Stoney (23-04-17),TimeTravellingBunny (23-04-17)

Library Researcher
    Thanks

@Vampire in Rug
    That said... ATOE, why do you have to create this deliberately abrasive persona for yourself to post with?
    Well, why do you?

I notice you don't try to provoke people as often on slayalive, is that because they have more of a moderator presence?
    I don't? Oh. I guess people are just nicer there, it's a different, more mature, classier vibe. This forum? This is shit poster central.

Why is it so important to "BTFO" people who disagree with you?
    And at the end of the day, does it matter if someone else is wrong?
    Because I was right and they were wrong. What, you don't like to be right?

Why the need to gloat like this, do you really think this type of post reflects well on you?
    I don't care how it reflects on me. And I like to gloat, most villains do.

Nice stereotype of the morbidly obese, easily scammed, unintelligent American. If that image makes you chuckle, you really have some low-brow humor.
    Yes, the idea of eating an ass of a literal devil to lose weight does make me chuckle. It's the idiocy of "miracle diets" and "diet pills" taken to its logical Buffyverse extreme.

someone who spends hours trying to stir shit up on the internet over a licensed comic book continuation of a show that ended over a decade ago
    Like you?

Anyway...

So... back to the issue... who else thinks Caliope might turn dark later in the season to mirror Willow's journey?
    Maybe if Willow gave her her power to get out of the camp? Nah, there's not enough issues left to pull something like that off.

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually no, I'm not here to stir up shit. I'm here to discuss the Buffyverse and there are a few people here I have a great deal of respect for.

In your short time here however, -you've accused people of homophobia and racism, spammed ad hominem attacks, thrown around autism as an insult and told the female forum memebers that they only like Spike because he's hot. The nonstop reaction images make you come off like someone who just discovered 4chan.

And if you want to talk about people "shitposting", -as in making posts with minimal content purely designed to wind people up -you are, without a doubt the single most guilty person of doing this out of everyone who posts here currently.

Thanks for the cringe of you implying that you're a villain. Watch out folks, we've got a badass here... Should I be worried about getting "obliterated" or "BTFO"?

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vampire in Rug For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (25-04-17),Clavus (23-04-17),Silver1 (24-04-17),Stoney (25-04-17),TimeTravellingBunny (25-04-17)

Thanks

@ a thing of evil

I don't? Oh. I guess people are just nicer there, it's a different, more mature, classier vibe. This forum? This is shit poster central.
    So then why don't you take your fabulous villain persona over to the classy crowd permanently? If you hang with shit like us you know you'll eventually start smelling, too?

I have to back up Vampire in Rug here - I don't think you're a really good cultural fit with the board here, and since we're obviously just incapable of appreciating your fabulousness, sharpness of wit and incredible insights into the Buffyverse, why do you even bother with losers like us?

Only reason I can think of is you like "BTFO'ing" dimwits, which seems like a really smart and mature hobby to have. So congratulations to the fact that you are embracing you inner Einstein along with your inner troll, but can you piss off now, please, and leave us poor cretins be?
    Smile, listen, agree - and then do whatever the f**k you wanted to do anyway... (Robert Downey jr.)

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clavus For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (25-04-17),Silver1 (24-04-17),Vampire in Rug (23-04-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,496 Times in 1,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    Oh well, off you go then. Take care. You'll be missed.

"You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (25-04-17),Clavus (24-04-17),Silver1 (24-04-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,486 Posts

Edgelord's gotta edge *shrug*

I'm ashamed to say I haven't even read this yet; I haven't commented on either 11.04 or 11.05 either despite reading them, because the whole thing has been kind of a Joffrey-shrug to me so far. I'll make a more concerted effort to get my groove back.

I can't be the only one hoping there's a Dark Phoenix revisit at the end of this siphoning angle with Willow. And I can't be the only one who takes it as given that if she revealed her final form, so to speak, she could blow a whole in dumbo pretty easily and jailbreak the place.

Banner by LRae12

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (25-04-17),Vampire in Rug (25-04-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 1,363 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Edgelord's gotta edge *shrug*

I'm ashamed to say I haven't even read this yet; I haven't commented on either 11.04 or 11.05 either despite reading them, because the whole thing has been kind of a Joffrey-shrug to me so far. I'll make a more concerted effort to get my groove back.

I can't be the only one hoping there's a Dark Phoenix revisit at the end of this siphoning angle with Willow. And I can't be the only one who takes it as given that if she revealed her final form, so to speak, she could blow a whole in dumbo pretty easily and jailbreak the place.
    Even with her normal powers, Willow is in the Safe Zone because she agreed to come. if she had wanted to refuse, I don't think they would have had an easy time bringing her in.

The revelation that there is some hidden agenda/nefarious plan behind the existence of the Safe Zone is really not all that surprising. Like I pointed out a few months ago when the Safe Zone was first mentioned, either the US government has some hidden agenda in building the Safe Zone, or they are, really, really stupid, because their stated reasons for the Safe Zone (a reaction to the dragon incident and desire to prevent something like that from happening again) doesn't really make much sense. They must be aware that the only reason they are able to keep powerful magic users like Willow contained is that they agree to be contained. Any magic user that's powerful enough to do something like summon a dragon from another dimension is going to be either 1) impossible to bring in (if you even know who they are - human magic users can easily lay low and pass undetected) or 2) capable of still doing all kinds of things and bringing everything down even if they are within the boundaries of an internment camp.

It's still really stupid of them to let Willow become all the more powerful by draining magic from others.

(BTW, what is a Joffrey shrug?)
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Clavus (25-04-17),Stoney (25-04-17)

Library Researcher
    Thanks

If you don't like my posts you should probably ignore them. Since they spawn more content than almost anything else here, it seems to me that I'm doing my part in keeping this *shambling zombie* of a forum ali- well, undead, no?

@TimeTravellingBunny
    It's still really stupid of them to let Willow become all the more powerful by draining magic from others.
    I don't think it makes much of a difference power-wise, I mean, this is Willow we're talking about here. If the combined energy of five witches can be burned off just healing Buffy I don't think there's a lot of mojo to gain here, unless Will drains all the witches or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,486 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Even with her normal powers, Willow is in the Safe Zone because she agreed to come. if she had wanted to refuse, I don't think they would have had an easy time bringing her in.
    Hancock was voluntarily in LA County Jail, too, but obviously couldn't be kept if he didn't want to be. I've been kinda taking it the same with Willow, especially in light of them having reintroduced her S6 era, Dark Willow-spawning ability to siphon power from other magical sources. If something goes screwy and this kills or huts someone she cares about, she could get out. I'm guessing she's still the biggest bad-ass on the block when she goes, well, dark phoenix. The Trio were good for little other than clutch pop culture metaphor.

The revelation that there is some hidden agenda/nefarious plan behind the existence of the Safe Zone is really not all that surprising. Like I pointed out a few months ago when the Safe Zone was first mentioned, either the US government has some hidden agenda in building the Safe Zone, or they are, really, really stupid, because their stated reasons for the Safe Zone (a reaction to the dragon incident and desire to prevent something like that from happening again) doesn't really make much sense. They must be aware that the only reason they are able to keep powerful magic users like Willow contained is that they agree to be contained. Any magic user that's powerful enough to do something like summon a dragon from another dimension is going to be either 1) impossible to bring in (if you even know who they are - human magic users can easily lay low and pass undetected) or 2) capable of still doing all kinds of things and bringing everything down even if they are within the boundaries of an internment camp.
    Seems like Season 4's "Master Plan" but with greater delusions/ambitions, like maybe techno-magical energy infrastructure or some such crap. Government ruining everything, though, that's a theme I can get behind at least Doesn't carry with it the intrinsic lunacy of trying to create a holocaust metaphor centered around demons.

Narratively risky, but it's certainly precedented.

Glad you asked!

Banner by LRae12

Library Researcher
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post

Willow is as all-powerful as the framework of this particular story allows her to be. It's a safe bet she's been nerfed a little and we should take them at their word that her spells to escape were unsuccessful as hard as it may be to believe. Similarly, one the problems (and something that detracts from the 'verse to me) is that with magic now being the primal force of the universe, you're stuck in a permanent game of one-upping. Oh, you've got a super spell? Well, I just found a superer one in this old tome that I happened to find.

As far as the dome goes, Giles had super Willow contained in S6 and he was hardly the pinnacle of witchy power. You could stretch it that the safe zone is just an expansion of that spell.

There are a ton of holes you could poke in this thing where it doesn't make sense in the established world-building of the comics, much less the whole 'verse. You just have to go with it, I suppose. The meat of the story is not that it makes sense, but finding out who (probably the VEEP) is behind it and what their goals are. That and wondered how they'll do a 12 after this. Probably they'll pretend it never happened outside of vague references.

This issue was pretty decent, largely because of it focusing on plot rather than Gage's hammy attempts at Scooby interactions. This is one of the first ones to have the pacing the whole thing should have with 2 major plot points, plus some minor establishing stuff moving forward rather than a minor one. Also the art is better than Isaacs' usual stuff, which was completely stagnant. Say what you want about Jeanty's likenesses, his drawings were kinetic in ways hers weren't until this issue.

They do need to let off the "things are going to get bad" tags at the end of most issues. Seems like every one, Spike or Buffy signs off with a dun-dun-dun comment.
    Last edited by HardlyThere; Yesterday at 03:00 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Clavus (Yesterday)