Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Buffy's 20th anniversary challenge

Thanks

Cil, I absolutely love the mood, I truly adore how you expressed the scene so perfectly. The very captivating scene within your blends and the use of textures and type you executed so well and showcased how that scene was powerfully portrayed. Love the composition on how you used Spike as the main focal point it has a great sense of flow within Buffy's movement. The coloring again really suits the narration it added an atmosphere which fit so nicely.
    Lyri, you are so welcome for the comment about your Icons! there are truly amazing! I would love to use one! about your recent work for this challenge oh my, loving the use of the quote and you expressed that quote so well within the narration of the show. Your type was very creative within the layout of your compositions, your choosing of images really connect amazingly well within the choice of textures and the coloring was expressed so vividly. You may be not fond of this, but when I first look at this I truly thought it was stunning what a beautiful Tumblr graphic!

My turn...

Your best scene? [3/5]

It has to be 'The Body' the first 15mins was magnificent distortion superb acting of the theme of realism of death.

Until next time.

Page 2.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (09-05-17),Lyri (30-04-17),Nina (20-05-17),Priceless (28-05-17),Silver1 (04-05-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,459 Times in 570 Posts

buffylover

I love the coloring of your 'The Body' piece, as well as the crops and composition. I love the washed out feel, the random, jerky movements, it's so reminiscent of the episode itself and of Buffy's mental state at the time. Great work.

And yes, feel free to use any of my icons. That's what I make them for. If you credit, they're yours! I just posted some new ones the other day: HERE

3/5 - Favorite Scene

You Poisoned Me

Again, I have a lot of favorite scenes from the show, most of them the usual suspects, scenes that have been arted dozens of times by better artists than me, though I have arted them myself as well. So I wanted to try something new, to go with something that I thought would be unique, so I went with this one.

I love this scene, because, in this scene, we don't have heroes, we have two human beings who are hurting deeply. We rarely see Buffy this distraught and vulnerable, when she's not putting on the mask of The Slayer. Here we have the girl, just Buffy, and she's just found out that she's been hurt in the worst possible way by the person she was supposed to be able to trust the most. She's hurt and confused and powerless in more ways than on and yet she still has the strength to walk away from Giles, to trust that she is capable of fixing the problem on her own, powers or no powers, she knows that she doesn't really need him.

I also love Giles in this scene. I love his body language. He can't even look at Buffy at first, his guilt overtaking everything. He keeps his back to her as he explains what he did, then he rushes towards her, trying to hold her, desperate to make her understand that he was following orders, that he didn't want to hurt her, but he had no choice. And then finally, he can't watch as she walks away from him.

I wanted to fill the canvas with this wallpaper, to clearly see the hurt and desperation on both characters faces, but at the same time, I wanted to show that there were two different sides to this fight, so I kept the characters to their own sides of the wallpaper. I have a tendency to over color on my wallpapers and they turn our unnatural a lot of the time, so I tried to keep as much natural coloring as possible while still having some sort of coloring in there, lol. I don't know if I pulled my idea off, but I like this piece better than the other two I've made for this challenge, lol.

Textures: Blakeravell, Visor,
    Gradients: Mine, HisMrs
    Para Bellum

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

buffylover (08-05-17),cil_domney (09-05-17),Nina (20-05-17),Priceless (28-05-17),Stoney (08-05-17)

Thanks

Wonderful new additions - Congrats to both of you - Buffylover and Lyri. So interesting to see how differently you both presented your scenes which deal with extreme emotional trauma of death and betrayal. It's pretty much impossible to choose a "favorite scene" but with The Body, it's such a powerful episode and something that each one of us can relate to - there is no getting away from projecting yourself into the role of Buffy and Dawn and all the other characters that have to deal with the death of Joyce. An superb choice of imagery and layout design Buffylover.

Lyri - you made a great choice with this one it's such a pivotal event in the Buffy-Giles relationship you did an outstanding presentation of Buffy's anguish and Giles' guilt and his having to make his choice to either betray Buffy or betray the rules set on him by the CoW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (09-05-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,994 Times in 984 Posts

Good to see so many beautiful entries. <3

buffylover
    I absolutely adore your style. The combination of digital art and traditional art is stunning. Such an inspiring way of making a piece around a quote. And the composition in you Buffy graphic is lovely. I wish I could make something look so unique and emotional with only a few pictures and words. The picspam (your third entry) is also great.The soft coloring you often used is perfect for this scene and you created an eery atmosphere with only a few pictures and soft colors. That can't be easy.

Cil
    Another wonderful example of how well it looks when somebody combines digital art with traditional drawings. I love the soft colors you used to draw Spike in combination with the more vivid background. It's a good drawing as well. I agree with Lyri about your second piece. You managed to capture the emotion. Very well done.

Stoney
    It looks like he is walking out of the wallpaper. Interesting way of telling his story. He came from the dark and steps into the light. Love it. Good cutting and blending work btw.

Lyri
    The various greens and yellows in your Buffy wallpaper are fantastic. Love the vivid coloring in combination with the simple composition. It's perfectly in balance.
    You might not be very fond of your second graphic, but I like it'It's indeed a nice combo of your own style and the classic Tumblr-graphics. I enjoy the typography, the text is very clear and demands attention.
    And I do respect anyone who makes a wallpaper with early BtVS-caps. That's so hard. Especially with a bright and sharp style like yours. I think it turned out rather well. There is emotion in it and the story is clear.

Clavus
    That's a really good drawing. There is not much to say... it's really good and I envy you.

-------------------------------

My third entry took some time. Because my favorite scene is a short scene with a lot of close-ups and Angelus never shuts up during it so his caps were ugly because his mouth was never closed. Also it's season 2, so the quality of the caps is awful. But I made something... (*yay*)

It's also on my Tumblr

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (20-05-17),cil_domney (20-05-17),Lyri (28-05-17),Priceless (28-05-17),Stoney (20-05-17)

Thanks

Again to Buffylover and Lyri - powerful works both visually and the emotional impact on the viewers.

Nina - wonderful use of imagery and text especially your choice of detail images - they tell the story of Buffy and her life as the ChosenOne/Slayer and the Angel/Angelus story brilliantly.

How does one pick a favorite scene - it's not possible for me because there are simply too many that have great emotional impact so instead I decided to go with a scene that I find extremely interesting as a psychological study and metaphorical/symbolic piece of both characters. BUT mostly it's about how I see the infamous balcony scene - not from the more usual interpretation of Spike attempting to corrupt Buffy and draw her into his darkness and world of shadows but instead as Buffy's dreamscape nightmare psychological and emotional trauma, her inner demons visualized as her projections onto Spike.

I made three variations but this one fits best with my intent with the scene - this image is mostly effective for viewers and fans of the series and the story of Buffy's resurrection and season six.

Sorry about posting this one - I will be posting a revised one later tonight - I'm just not satisfied this one and want to work on it more.

The Revised image - much more of what I wanted to image than the first one I posted.

The Dreamscape by NMCIL, on Flickr

Large Original: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nmcil/...posted-public/
    Last edited by cil_domney; 21-05-17 at 03:58 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (20-05-17),Lyri (28-05-17),Nina (22-05-17),Priceless (28-05-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,459 Times in 570 Posts

Thank you, everyone, who has commented on my work so far. After making nothing but icons for more than a year, it's been a struggle to get back into the swing of things, but a good one. I'm glad I started this.

Nina

Gosh, I LOVE the coloring of your piece. Like, seriously, it's stunning. The images you used were spot on, not just with the caps of Buffy, but the stock images were a nice touch. You always have such a way with text and your font choices, and this was no exception. Steller work.

cil_domney

I'm not a fan of this scene, or of this episode in general, but I like your interpretation of it. Taking it from a psychological standpoint is an interesting take, rather than just taking it at face value. I like the almost dream-like, altered state of reality you've created here, which makes the whole thing a whole lot easier to swallow for people like me, lmao!!

4/5 - Favorite Villain

Angelus

How can I choose anyone other than Angelus for this one? He is so iconic, so ingrained into what makes this show so amazing and so captivating to watch. I don't think this character would have worked as well had he just been introduced as the bad guy right from the start.The fact that we knew and loved this character for a season and a half before the change was what made it work. That heartbreaking moment at the end of 'Innocence' still gets me every time. I was initially going to base this piece on that scene, but like Nina said, it's SO hard to work with the earlier caps, never mind when it's a dark scene like the alley scene. So I went with sort of an aesthetic set instead. There were probably better caps and images that I could have used, but I'm actually pleased with this piece, I think it represents the character without the need for over filling it with more images or text.

Last edited by Lyri; 28-05-17 at 11:37 PM.
    Para Bellum

Si vis pacem, para bellum

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

buffylover (28-05-17),Priceless (28-05-17),Stoney (Yesterday)