Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Buffy's 20th anniversary challenge

Thanks

Default The Buffy's 20th anniversary challenge

I have an idea to celebrate Buffy's 20th anniversary but within a creative, more of an artistic approach.

So my main inspiration was formed from the Tumblr community "meme" I think it's called. But anyway all you have to do is answer the rhetorical questions by any form of art which suits you and your style. So I would create a list of questions for you, for example "Which is your fav character?" so, then you would create an art piece based on your personal preference on who you think is your fav character. Then when you are finished, you repeat it with a different question keeping going down the list answering it with your creativity within fanart. By posting each of your entries separate.

(*If you wish to have feedback just ask.
    *Tumblr users make sure you tag *buffyforums20thchallenge*
    *If you post your entries on the thread I will be sure of it that it would be reblogged on the Buffyforums Tumblr.)

'Questions'

* Your fav character? [1/5]
    * Your fav quote? [2/5]
    * Your best scene? [3/5]
    * Your best villian? [4/5]
    * Your best shipment? [5/5]

P.S I know that this section of the forum is really dead, but I'm hoping that you guys could least try if not this is always open for you when if you have the time. I'm willing to do this! the most important thing is to have fun there is no deadline.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Aureola (04-04-17),Bre (20-04-17),cil_domney (05-04-17),Clavus (14-04-17),Ehlwyen (10-04-17),Nina (03-04-17),Stoney (03-04-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,937 Times in 2,838 Posts

I haven't done anything since last summer I don't think so I'm super rusty, but I'll try to find the time to dust off photoshop and join in.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (03-04-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,995 Times in 984 Posts

Oh fun! I'll try to do all 5. Thank you for hosting this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (03-04-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I haven't done anything since last summer I don't think so I'm super rusty, but I'll try to find the time to dust off photoshop and join in.
    There is absolutely no rush Stoney take your time it will always be open. It would be cool to see what you come up with. I'm really curious and looking forward to seeing your answers and your creations!

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Oh fun! I'll try to do all 5. Thank you for hosting this.
    You are so welcome. I'm really looking forward to your answers Nina also! and creations.
    Last edited by buffylover; 03-04-17 at 06:55 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Nina (04-04-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 570 Posts

Thank you for this. I haven't made actually wallpapers or other art that isn't icons for a long, LONG time, lol, so I'm very interested in this. It might take me a while to dust off my skills, like Stoney, but I'll give them all a go and do my best to not make icons, lmao.
    Para Bellum

Si vis pacem, para bellum

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

buffylover (03-04-17)

Thanks

By the way, is it only BtVS or the complete 'verse?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (04-04-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    By the way, is it only BtVS or the complete 'verse?
    Just BTVS.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Bre (20-04-17),cil_domney (05-04-17),Nina (04-04-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffylover View Post
    Just BTVS.
    Good, because I've already started my Buffy picspam.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (04-04-17)

Thanks

Thank You for offering this Buffy 20 Years art challenge - It's a wonderful way to pay tribute to a series that had such an important impact on TV and social culture.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (05-04-17)

Thanks

The first question is answered here.

My favorite character is Buffy herself:

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Aureola (07-04-17),Bre (20-04-17),buffylover (05-04-17),cil_domney (07-04-17),Clavus (14-04-17),Lyri (13-04-17),Priceless (28-05-17),Silver1 (07-04-17),Stoney (05-04-17)

Thanks

not sure if we are allowed to reply - I tried doing the Reputation add but not allowed - just wanted to say how much I like your piece. It's Lovely and highly effective graphic design. Congrats!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (07-04-17),Nina (07-04-17),Stoney (07-04-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cil_domney View Post
    not sure if we are allowed to reply - I tried doing the Reputation add but not allowed - just wanted to say how much I like your piece. It's Lovely and highly effective graphic design. Congrats!
    Thank you

My favorite quote is by Whistler.

Tumblr

It might be a very Dutch thing... Delfts Blauw (no idea how it is called in English... Delfts Blue?) with a quote on it is rather popular over here. :P

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Aureola (07-04-17),Bre (20-04-17),buffylover (07-04-17),cil_domney (10-04-17),Clavus (14-04-17),Lyri (13-04-17),Silver1 (07-04-17),Stoney (07-04-17)

Thanks

Nina.

What I adore about this piece is the composition within the amazing imagery specifically to show and represent Buffy's character development throughout the seasons. Especially the fallen angel statue because you captured why I also adore Buffy. The artistic value was very compelling, especially the colouring, the colouring choice was very natural and very beautiful, great execution. I love the edit very professionally done within an artistic flare, I personally find your art to be very inspiring. I love your entry for challenge two 'Fav quote' Amazing typography it suited within the whole composition of a personal level, considering you connected within your own culture which makes it feel personal which I really loved it's so stunning to look at.

My turn.

Your fav character? [1/5]

Buffy. Tumblr set graphics.

Until next time.

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Aureola (22-04-17),Bre (20-04-17),cil_domney (10-04-17),Clavus (14-04-17),Lyri (13-04-17),Nina (08-04-17),Priceless (28-05-17),Silver1 (04-05-17),Stoney (08-04-17)

Thanks

wonderful to come back and see the latest additions - OUTSTANDING work from all!

- - - Updated - - -

Agree with buffylover - your work on both these pieces is awesome and inspiring makes me work to get better with my own efforts. I had a chance to visit Delft years ago unfortunately had only a two day visit but I loved it. And naturally, I came home with some Delft ceramic art, still have my "month plates" for my husband's and my birthdays.

Great choice on quote not just for the character but for the entire events of the series.

- - - Updated - - -

My favorite character ultimately comes down to Spike - Buffy is also my favorite since they are so intimately connected for me. Since I have to choose only one, it's Spike. This is my latest drawing of Spike created April, 2017. You can see all my other Buffy 20 Years graphics at my Flickr page along with the original of this drawing.

Buffy 20 Years - Spike by NMCIL, on Flickr

Large Original: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nmcil/...blic/lightbox/
    Last edited by cil_domney; 11-04-17 at 05:50 PM.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

Bre (20-04-17),buffylover (10-04-17),Clavus (14-04-17),Lyri (13-04-17),Nina (10-04-17),Silver1 (04-05-17),Stoney (10-04-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,937 Times in 2,838 Posts

Hey Guys, fantastic pieces so far by everyone.

The colouring choices in all the different pieces really stood out to me, all so distinct and all work so brilliantly. I love your picspam Nina and in particular the excellent way that you have used positioning to create balance within your selected colour mix. The blue/white ceramic look is so classic with the tiling effect too, it just works really well. buffylover, your choice of simple colouring matches the tone in such a brilliant way, it really adds to the mood and symbolic meaning in the piece perfectly. And Cil your shading is just great, I'm really impressed by the work you have done (particularly around the neck/ear/jawline) and I love the colour repetition with the blue/black in the background. That pattern work to the right is just great and a really beautiful visual to explore.

It's fantastic to get to see some pieces posted here again.

And so on to my first answer. It will come as no surprise I'm sure that hands down my favourite character is Spike. With an eight months break from arting I was as rusty as I expected I was going to be and had to totally etch-a-sketch and redo some parts a couple of times. But I enjoyed getting back to it and was really amused that it seems my automatic leaning towards brown and grungy hasn't gone away.

Spike

Credit: character promo shot - daydreaming
    Last edited by Stoney; 13-04-17 at 11:33 AM.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Bre (20-04-17),buffylover (12-04-17),cil_domney (12-04-17),Clavus (14-04-17),Lyri (13-04-17),Nina (20-05-17),Silver1 (04-05-17),Tiny Tabby (12-04-17)

Thanks

Wow, it's been SO LONG since I made anything in Photoshop that wasn't icons, almost a year in fact, so I found this to be a real struggle, lol. I'm hoping I'll get better as this challenge goes along.

Nina

I absolutely adore your Buffy piece. The coloring and the simplistic images are wonderful and so indicative of Buffy herself. You chose some great images.

Your quote piece is also really great, something so different and fresh, considering how long we've all been in this fandom and doing this art stuff, lol.

Buffylover

The composition and image choices for your Buffy piece are incredible. I love the black and white, it's such a smart choice for how Buffy was feeling in this scene and representative of her state of mind. The birds and the inverted colors is such a clever use of subjective imagery.

cil_domney

I was an art student in my youth, it's what I studied all the way through college - but I was an abstract artist. I would give anything to be able to draw real life, portraits in particular. The shading and use of color in your piece is very well done. A very nice piece.

Stoney

I make no apologies for the fact that Spike is my least favorite character as far as the main cast/Scoobies go, but in saying that, this is a great piece. I love the browns and the symbolism of the path coming out the thorns/forest. Your use of text is also really good, the distressed font works really well.

Favorite Character

Into Every Generation...

Because it's been so long since I made anything that wasn't 100px by 100px, I decided not to go too far outside of my comfort zone, so I stuck with what I knew best and made a simple wallpaper. It's not by best work, but I'm pleased that I actually got something that was halfway decent, lol.

I'll always be a Buffy girl. Years ago, when people asked me who my favorite character was, I used to say it was Xander or Faith, at one point it was even Dawn, mostly because I didn't think people WANTED me to say it was Buffy. It used to be UNCOOL to say that Buffy was your favorite, and for the life of me, I can't remember why. But I've come to the realization that my favorite character is always going to be the Slayer herself, because she's such a strong symbol for what she stood for, for females in general. She's my hero, the same way she has been since I was 14 years old.

Image: Chosen2
    Gradients: Mine, Icy Chicken
    Textures: Zugma, Black Lagoon, Blake Revell, Visor
    Para Bellum

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Aureola (22-04-17),Bre (20-04-17),buffylover (13-04-17),cil_domney (15-04-17),Clavus (14-04-17),Nina (20-05-17),Stoney (13-04-17)

Thanks

buffylover thanks for opening this challenge! Your own contribution for Buffy in stark black and white with the wings surrounding her is beautiful and resonates on so many levels - angel's wings, wind-beneath-my-wings, the individual feathers both soft and reminiscent of blades. It's really visually arresting.

Nina your character montage for Buffy seems deceptively simple, but you capture elements that are just quintessential her - I love it! The quote is also beautiful: the spacing of text elements and tiles flows very elegantly, and the old-world sensibility of the typeface and the Dutch tiles make the piece feel timeless and relevant.

cil_domney Love your Spike drawing - you really captured him from the pointed chin to his strong jaw-line, the tucked-in upper lip and slight pout of his lower lip, high cheekbones and strong brows, great portrait!

Stoney That's a great Spike wallpaper! Grunge fits Spike perfectly and as Lyri pointed out the symbolism of him striding out of the shadows into the light works well. I also love the contrast of the two different typefaces - Spike in bold and brazen, the caption in soft, flowing script.

Lyri I'm just in love with the colors and texture blends in your piece. To me the vibrant greens mean that Buffy is as fresh, full of life and relevant as ever, which is very fitting for an anniversary piece!

For myself I don't know if I'll be able to work through the whole set of 5 challenges, but at least I have something for the first. I actually drew this portrait not for the 20th anniversary specifically but when I was sitting down penning my "Tabula Rasa" rewatch review a few weeks ago.

Spike is my favorite character, because his arc has so many unexpected twists and turns and because he keeps reinventing himself. As one fan called out during James' Q&A in Dallas the other week when he spoke about it: "Just as in real life."

Plus as a visual artist I have to admit that he's an absolute joy to draw - clear lines, vivid expression, almost delicate features for a guy - though the hair is a bitch to get right...

Graphite pencil on Strathmore drawing paper, 9"x12", scanned and framed in Photoshop
    Smile, listen, agree - and then do whatever the f**k you wanted to do anyway... (Robert Downey jr.)

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Clavus For This Useful Post:

Bre (20-04-17),buffylover (14-04-17),cil_domney (15-04-17),Nina (20-05-17),Silver1 (04-05-17),Stoney (14-04-17)

Thanks

Your fav character? [1/5] Buffy

Is This World Hell. {Wallpaper version} {here}

Right, Cil what I appreciate within this art is the fact you made it look very illustrative within your realism and tonality. Yeah, I find your imagery of Spike is very great traditional piece because I love your drawing skills especially the whole impression of his face you captured it perfectly. Well done, I love it!! Stoney, the execution is perfect especially considering the amazing blend of the imagery and the texture. The texture and colouring create a distinct mood within the perfect imagery. The composition has a great sense of movement which you captured Spikes characteristic really well within your piece. The typography was also very bold and strong also very confident, which I adore. Well done!!! Lyri, I had a look at your ICONS and I was actually amazed by the art. The composition and the colour. But anyway your recent piece based on your fav character was very impressive. The image choice was very inquisitive and very compelling especially considering the perfect colouring which made your piece even more tranquil. Your textures and stock imagery are very complimentary within the Buffy image. First of welcome Clavus to the fan art section of the forum your artwork is always welcome to this side of the section of the forum! I mean your artwork is gorgeous I think I said this to Cil but I say it to you also I love how realistic and executed within so much talent within the tonality and expression just fantastic you and Cil captured Spike personality so well within the traditional way!

My trun once again.

Your fav quote? [2/5]

“I don’t understand. I don’t know how to live in this world, if these are the choices, if everything’s just stripped away then I don’t see the point. I just wish… I wish my mom was here.”

Until next time.

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Aureola (22-04-17),Bre (20-04-17),cil_domney (15-04-17),Clavus (15-04-17),Nina (20-05-17),Priceless (28-05-17),Silver1 (04-05-17),Stoney (15-04-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
    Wow, it's been SO LONG since I made anything in Photoshop that wasn't icons, almost a year in fact, so I found this to be a real struggle, lol. I'm hoping I'll get better as this challenge goes along.

Because it's been so long since I made anything that wasn't 100px by 100px, I decided not to go too far outside of my comfort zone, so I stuck with what I knew best and made a simple wallpaper. It's not by best work, but I'm pleased that I actually got something that was halfway decent, lol.

I'll always be a Buffy girl. Years ago, when people asked me who my favorite character was, I used to say it was Xander or Faith, at one point it was even Dawn, mostly because I didn't think people WANTED me to say it was Buffy. It used to be UNCOOL to say that Buffy was your favorite, and for the life of me, I can't remember why. But I've come to the realization that my favorite character is always going to be the Slayer herself, because she's such a strong symbol for what she stood for, for females in general. She's my hero, the same way she has been since I was 14 years old.

Image: Chosen2
    Gradients: Mine, Icy Chicken
    Textures: Zugma, Black Lagoon, Blake Revell, Visor

Lyri - Wonderful piece I love the background imagery - great use of symbolism - fact is that my actual favorite character is really Buffy & Spike - they have become so connected that they now represent the series for me.

As you can see with my entry for Character Quote - There are SO MANY that are so meaningful to me but I chose this one because for me this represents both the tragic history of Buffy and Spike and the fundamental scene of Spike's transformation journey - but again, without Buffy as the partner/guide Spike would never have come to this crossroad event and transformation. I had two version but decided that this one shows more of what I wanted to show the turmoil of their history and the quote scene.

Not sure what happened to my image - Did I post it in the wrong way? Apologies if I did not follow correct procedure. Here is a small image of same - PLEASE delete the entire thing if I am posting wrong.

Spike Quotes by NMCIL, on Flickr

link for large original: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nmcil/...posted-public/
    Last edited by cil_domney; 23-04-17 at 08:19 AM.

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

Bre (20-04-17),buffylover (15-04-17),Clavus (15-04-17),Lyri (27-04-17),Nina (20-05-17),Priceless (28-05-17),Silver1 (04-05-17),Stoney (20-04-17)

Thanks

Clavus

Someone else for me to be extremely jealous of, lol. I love your drawing, your line work and shading is spot on. I love the image you chose, more of a flirty, relaxed Spike than the villain or hardened warrior we mostly know. But I like this image, almost like it's a look at the Spike we could have seen, if he'd been allowed to live like a normal person.

buffylover

I love the coloring on your quote piece. That muted but at the same time vibrant coloring is so unique to fanart, it's so refreshing so see something so different. Not to mention to actual composition, with the textures and techniques you used. The 'stripped away' metaphor comes across so clearly and concisely. A stunning piece. (And thank you so much for what you said about my icons!)

cil_domney

As I said, I'm not a Spike fan, but the Spike that we see in S7 and AtS S5 would be my favorite, if I was forced to chose. I like this scene, where he is completely stripped naked, both physically and metaphorically. He's almost like a blank slate in his emotional state, and I think you did well with that image here, in keeping Buffy in the shadows, a voyeur on his vulnerability. Great work.

My turn...

Favorite Quote

I have a lot, I'm not going to lie, and I cycled through all of them before I ultimately decided on this one. I wanted one that was a little bit more obscure, that wasn't 'The Gift' or 'The Body', one that encompassed the show as a whole, not one particular scene or character.

I'm not overly fond of this piece, but I worked too long and too hard on it to scrap it. I didn't take into account how difficult it would be to color three wildly different scenes to make them look consistent and whole in a Tumblr piece given my personal style. But, here it is.

Gradients: Mine
    Textures: Miss Minn, Mine
    Para Bellum

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

buffylover (28-04-17),cil_domney (28-04-17),Clavus (29-04-17),Nina (20-05-17),Priceless (28-05-17),Silver1 (04-05-17),Stoney (27-04-17)