Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Buffy 20th Anniversary Cast Interviews

Library Researcher
    Thanks

It is a strange dynamic assuming it's true. I'd have to assume there is more to it than Nick's personal problems.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

betta (19-05-17),Silver1 (19-05-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    I... just don't expect everyone to think of him as a good friend of theirs just because their characters were so close.
    It's not about that, it's about professionalism, the show and a little respect for an ex-colleague.

I'm a fan of Guns N' Roses, and when Duff McKagan wrote his biography he and Axl Rose weren't in such good terms with Slash (they have been in the last few years, mind you, it was a big surprise for me that came out of nowhere...), so he wrote in his dedicatory: Axl, a friend; Izzy, a mentor; Steven Adler, a brother; Matt Sorum, a lion of a man; and Slash... a musical inspiration, keeping it (the influence in his life) more professional and less personal - but he cited him anyway.

Library Researcher
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post

Xander was a Scooby, Nick was there, working everyday with her... not the same as the others, even Tony.
    And in the past it's been stated there should have been more Xander story. The job ended nearly 14 years ago and I don't believe they've seen each other since Paley as opposed to everyone else. It seems like old-school fandom where small misstep is blown up to some huge thing. It's been a long time and this was just a job for these guys. I'd probably just put it down to not seeing the guy that day and thus he slipped through the cracks in the 3 minutes it took to write that, the same with Tony.

I wonder, what is with all the hate and negativity? So much Scooby hate--hatred of the whole gang, hatred of each specific character toward others in the gang. It was always there, of course, but more and more it seems like that's all there is.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not about that, it's about professionalism, the show and a little respect for an ex-colleague.

I'm a fan of Guns N' Roses, and when Duff McKagan wrote his biography he and Axl Rose weren't in such good terms with Slash (they have been in the last few years, mind you, it was a big surprise for me that came out of nowhere...), so he wrote in his dedicatory: Axl, a friend; Izzy, a mentor; Steven Adler, a brother; Matt Sorum, a lion of a man; and Slash... a musical inspiration, keeping it (the influence in his life) more professional and less personal - but he cited him anyway.
    That's a book with multiple revisions as opposed to a quick facebook post.

Library Researcher
    Thanks

I...I have a confession to make. I love haters. And I'm not talking about the ordinary trolls and the memers, I'm talking about the real, unironic specimens. You know the type, right?

Ugh...that zander is such a useless nice guy ass hole fucc boi! Literal trash, I hate zander so much!!!
    Spuke ruined the show, ruined Buffy as a character, ruined feminism and ruined baked onions! I hate Spuke!
    That Willow! She only cares about power! W-why is she so powerful?! S-she can't k-keep getting away with this!
    Spewing bile and nonsense for a better part of a decade - or longer! I find it absolutely hilarious. I know, seems weird but just trust me on this, with the right mindset it's some quality entertainment. Obviously, I shouldn't laugh at people self-medicating their issues, frustrations, phobias, traumas etc 'cause that's basically what it is but oh well, it's too funny, I can't help it.

@HardlyThere
    I wonder, what is with all the hate and negativity? So much Scooby hate--hatred of the whole gang, hatred of each specific character toward others in the gang. It was always there, of course, but more and more it seems like that's all there is.
    Personally, I didn't notice an increase. Maybe it depends on where you hang out? If you're talking strictly hard-core fandom then well, it's less populous these days, on the verge of death, some would even say. Only the truly wretched and/or personally invested are still here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (19-05-17)

Thanks

I don't know what's the truth behind Nick being interviewed alone, but it's so sad since Nick and David used to be close friends during the high school years, and I remember SMG saying in an interview right after Chosen was aired that it should have been two hours because Xander needed more screen time. I really hope it was mostly because Nick arrived late and nothing to do with the cast disliking him.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (19-05-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,511 Times in 1,657 Posts

If it's about professionalism than Nick is lucky he was even invited to participate at all. How many workplaces would accomodate an employee who has been arrested numerous times, who has trashed hotel rooms, resisted arrest, and who has been charged for assaulting and violently choking a woman? In pretty much any other professional setting Nick would have been fired and never allowed to attend any work event ever again.

I had sympathy for Nick up until he choked a woman and then he crossed a line for me. You don't ever beat a woman. Ever. Sarah is under no obligation to "show a little respect" to someone guilty of assaulting his girlfriend and it's unfair to expect that of her. You wouldn't demand it from any other colleague so I'm not sure why you expect it from her just because they happened to work on a TV series together 14 years ago.

Honestly, I don't blame any of the actors if they didn't want Nick to be there or felt uncomfortable participating with him in it. Nick's problems have effected his "work" on multiple occasions and some of his arrests have occurred whilst he has been attending fan conventions. It's fairly reasonable that the others may be concerned about having him there. It's also perfectly reasonable that the cast may simply not like or respect him anymore after what he did and that they may not want to associate with someone like that.

I do find it a little perplexing that people are more upset about Sarah excluding Nick from the statement (which may or may not have even been intentional) than they are about Nick beating his girlfriend. I mean, c'mon guys, really? And is anyone really going to compare David cheating on his wife with Nick choking a woman or his constant arrests and bad behaviour? There's really no comparison between the two at all. I'm sympathetic to Nick's struggles and what happened to him when he was younger but it's one thing to hurt yourself and quite another to start hurting others.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 20-05-17 at 05:15 AM.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (23-05-17),TimeTravellingBunny (20-05-17)

Library Researcher
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post

Personally, I didn't notice an increase. Maybe it depends on where you hang out? If you're talking strictly hard-core fandom then well, it's less populous these days, on the verge of death, some would even say. Only the truly wretched and/or personally invested are still here.
    It could be less of an increase in that and more a decrease in other posts. I don't mind haters myself. You know where the lines are and the person is at least being honest about their opinions. Where it gets useless are the self-described objective ones with heavy usage of all the fandom buzzwords. The ones where they feel the need to spend a whole paragraph writing a preface about how they love CHARACTER or SHOW, but are capable of seeing their flaws (unlike anyone who might disagree with what they're about to say). They then proceed to cherry-pick instances and give interpretations (which you're not allowed to argue) or remove all the context of what happened in order to prove their point. Those ones are flat-earthers; there is no reasoning with them.

Much of the hate now, to me, stems from other fans rather than the characters themselves. Buffy "fans"* hate Xander and Willow (also Spike), which prompts those fans to take it out on the character using the aforementioned style of posting. Same with Cordy v. Scoobies, Angel v Spike or Spike v Scoobies, etc. It ends up being a absurd display right out of The Girl In Question. It's just fandom consuming itself, which is sad.

All the characters screwed up from time to time. The gang was all stuck in their own crap from time to time. None of them were bad people. The show did a very good job of giving both sides good reason to believe the things they were doing were right from their perspective or understandable most of the time. If you're going to disregard the context of a line of dialogue or action or even an entire storyline, you can confirm any negative attribute to any character.

*I put fans in quotes here because their affection seems more derived from shipping and virtue signalling than actually liking the character. Hence the need to trash everyone else.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (20-05-17)

Thanks

I'm just wondering do you guys have any evidence at all based on your assumptions? about SMG and DB? not wanting NB at the reunion event?

Could someone also assume that it could be 'Entertainment weekly' might have professionals within his condition and might be helping NB within his mental health trying to make it easier for him at the event? or also we could assume that NB could not want to be shown as an embarrassment? or even ashamed within his low self-esteem to the others. Just a thought might not be true.
    Last edited by buffylover; 20-05-17 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffylover View Post
    I'm just wondering do you guys have any evidence at all based on your assumptions? about SMG and DB? not wanting NB at the reunion event?

Could someone also assume that it could be 'Entertainment weekly' might have professionals within his condition and might be helping NB within his mental health trying to make it easier for him at the event? or also we could assume that NB could not want to be shown as an embarrassment? or even ashamed within his low self-esteem to the others. Just a thought might not be true.
    There is no evidence of anything yet. I haven't seen anyone speak about it in interviews or Twitter.
    Made by Trickyboxes

Library Researcher
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffylover View Post

It was from NB that DB didn't want him there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMuKCt336Kw

One can only speculate as to the reasons.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

betta (20-05-17),buffylover (20-05-17),Clavus (22-05-17),Silver1 (21-05-17),Sosa lola (20-05-17),Stoney (20-05-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    It was from NB that DB didn't want him there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMuKCt336Kw

One can only speculate as to the reasons.
    Thanks for sharing.

Honestly, I don't think that video was all that flattering to him, especially his comments at the beginning about wanting to go on Bones so he could "kill" DB. And his "I don't know why" about why DB didn't want him at the shoot seems somewhat dishonest to me. I'm sure he definitely does have some idea why and if fans can make the obvious conclusions then I'm sure so can he. I'm also sure that somebody surely would have given him some kind of explanation.

Eh, I'm sure a lot of people would say it's understandable he doesn't like DB after DB didn't want him there. And it is, to an extent, but his attitude rubs me the wrong way. You screwed up, dude. You've acted like a constant mess for years and you assaulted your ****ing girlfriend. This is probably a personal thing but I think that if someone is genuinely remorseful for the things that they've done and actually wants to change, then part of that is owning up to the fact that you've made mistakes and that your actions have consequences and people have a legitimate reason to be angry at you. It's not a good look to be acting catty and vindictive about it as if you are somehow the wronged party.

Normally I would say that he probably just didn't want to go into great detail about which I'd get. But then he had no problem making the random snide remarks about DB in an unrelated question and he was very candid about how much he dislikes him. So it just comes across as disingenuous to me that he acts like he doesn't know why DB may not want him there when the truth is he probably has a very good idea why and just doesn't want to say because he knows it's due to his own shitty behaviour.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 20-05-17 at 01:25 PM.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (23-05-17)

Thanks

What right does David have to not want Nick there though? Who the hell is David to decide who should be there and who shouldn't? Just because Bones is a successful show and the character Angel is popular, it shouldn't give David any privileges over any of the cast. If I had a show and one of my stars said, they didn't want a certain actor there, I'd say, dude it isn't up to you and if you don't wanna be there because that actor is there then just don't. The reunion would still be awesome without you.

It's a dick move regardless of Nick's past mistakes - not like David's past is that honorable, wasn't he also arrested for sexual harassment? - The photo shoot is about the characters of the show. I wanted to see images of Xander with the other cast. I don't give a frick about Nick or any actor's personal life. I love the character and I was bummed I didn't see Buffy/Xander/Willow pictures or Xander/Cordelia/Anya pictures same as Willow/Oz/Tara.
    Made by Trickyboxes

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

buffylover (20-05-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    What right does David have to not want Nick there though?
    Anyone has the right to not want to be around someone who has attacked and throttled a woman. This is not a radical idea.

Who the hell is David to decide who should be there and who shouldn't? Just because Bones is a successful show and the character Angel is popular, it shouldn't give David any privileges over any of the cast.
    I think it's more than likely that DB said he'd participate in the reunion but only if he didn't have to interact with NB and that EW picked DB over NB which, again, is understandable. No, not just because of his clout as an actor, but because NB has made some pretty serious mistakes so he really wasn't in the same position to leverage. Again, this is a direct result of NB's own behaviour and a consequence of his own actions. If you want to be mad at anyone you should probably be mad at him.

If I had a show and one of my stars said, they didn't want a certain actor there, I'd say, dude it isn't up to you and if you don't wanna be there because that actor is there then just don't. The reunion would still be awesome without you.
    Well, obviously the people at EW felt differently. I also think it's more than likely that at least a substantial portion of the cast either agreed with DB or at the very least found it understandable as well. After all, they were all more than happy to participate without NB being there and seemed to harbour no hard feelings towards DB throughout the shoot (judging by the cast interviews). It is probably pretty telling that SMG didn't mention NB in her tribute and if SMG had stood up and said that she doesn't believe it's fair and that NB should attend I am sure she'd have been in the position more than anyone (including DB) to get her way. But she didn't. And judging by Emma's reactions in that convention video, even she clearly distanced herself from the comments NB was making about DB and didn't seem to share his feelings about DB. She seemed more uncomfortable and bemused by NB's comments than anything rather than feeling like NB was wronged in anyway and she said what a great time she had at the reunion.

It's a dick move regardless of Nick's past mistakes - not like David's past is that honorable, wasn't he also arrested for sexual harassment?
    DB has never been arrested. And, again, whilst DB was an ass for cheating on his wife, it in no way compares to violently beating your girlfriend. There. Is. No. Comparison.

I don't give a frick about Nick or any actor's personal life.
    Ok, but maybe the people forced to take pictures with Nick do? Maybe other people were uncomfortable with him being there and they have every right to be. Maybe some of them have strong principles about violence against women and didn't want to cosy up to Nick in pictures and pretend that everything is ok just for fans who are willing to overlook the fact that Nick beat a woman? It's as simple as that really. You wouldn't expect it from any other kind of workplace but you expect it from these colleagues because you happen to like the character that he plays.

Again, I think you're anger is misplaced. Why not be angry at the guy who plays Xander who put himself in this position in the first place as this is a consequence of his own actions. If he hadn't laid his hands on his girlfriend then maybe others would want to be around him. He's lucky he's not in jail and he is not the victim here.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 21-05-17 at 12:34 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (23-05-17)

Thanks

It's hard to believe NB's problems were the reason DB vetoed him; it would be very hypocritical of him, since he himself escaped of being sued for sexual harassment by settling in court to avoid further trouble, but who knows? And in the end, DB called the Reunion “this”, posted one official photo, and didn't say much about it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (21-05-17)

Thanks

It's hard to believe NB's problems were the reason DB vetoed him; it would be very hypocritical of him, since he himself escaped of being sued for sexual harassment by settling in court to avoid further trouble, but who knows?
    Well, let's actually be factual about this. An extra on set accused DB of sexual harassment and threatened to sue him for $25,000 as she claimed he made unwanted advances against her. DB denied the allegations and his legal team called them absurd. The woman later dropped the law suit and both sides said that the matter was resolved and that they wouldn't discuss it any further. That's all we know. Neither you nor I know whether DB did the things the woman accused him of and anything else is simply speculation. He may have done it or he may not have, we don't know, but he has always denied it. You can't equate what DB may or may not have done with something NB has actually done. You also can't accuse somebody of hypocrisy based on nothing but pure speculation when that person is on record of denying any truth to the allegations made against them and when the allegations were never proven.

If it was proven that DB had sexually harassed this woman, then yes he'd be a hypocrite. And I'd be more than happy not to have him there as well. But he maintained his innocence and the case was later dropped. So to claim that he shouldn't have any ill feeling towards Nick for his constant troubles with the law or for his domestic violence based on an unproven allegation made against him is quite a reach. Having an allegation made against you is not the same as being found guilty.

And in the end, DB called the Reunion “this”, posted one official photo, and didn't say much about it.
    How is this relevant? I know that we're all big fans of BtVS here but can we please get some perspective? Honestly, it sounds like you're more angry about DB (in your eyes) not showing enough appreciation for the show then you are NB choking his girlfriend and threatening her. I find it pretty sad how blase some people are being about domestic violence on here. We're willing to overlook the fact that he threatened and attacked a woman as long as we get a picture?
    Last edited by vampmogs; 21-05-17 at 02:58 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (23-05-17)

Library Researcher
    Thanks

I certainly hope the cast has learned their lesson from this and never do another one. Or if they do, they'll know better than to talk about their opinions, give anecdotes and not have lawyers draw up thank-you facebook posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    Well, let's actually be factual about this. An extra on set accused DB of sexual harassment and threatened to sue him for $25,000 as she claimed he made unwanted advances against her. DB denied the allegations and his legal team called them absurd. The woman later dropped the law suit and both sides said that the matter was resolved and that they wouldn't discuss it any further. That's all we know. Neither you nor I know whether DB did the things the woman accused him of and anything else is simply speculation. He may have done it or he may not have, we don't know, but he has always denied it. You can't equate what DB may or may not have done with something NB has actually done. You also can't accuse somebody of hypocrisy based on nothing but pure speculation when that person is on record of denying any truth to the allegations made against them and when the allegations were never proven.

If it was proven that DB had sexually harassed this woman, then yes he'd be a hypocrite. And I'd be more than happy not to have him there as well. But he maintained his innocence and the case was later dropped. So to claim that he shouldn't have any ill feeling towards Nick for his constant troubles with the law or for his domestic violence based on an unproven allegation made against him is quite a reach. Having an allegation made against you is not the same as being found guilty.

How is this relevant? I know that we're all big fans of BtVS here but can we please get some perspective? Honestly, it sounds like you're more angry about DB (in your eyes) not showing enough appreciation for the show then you are NB choking his girlfriend and threatening her. I find it pretty sad how blase some people are being about domestic violence on here. We're willing to overlook the fact that he threatened and attacked a woman as long as we get a picture?
    It's just I think NB - nobody - should be turned into a pariah because of one single incident. How old is NB? 40? He has been drinking since S7, as far as I know, and only in the past few years he has been in trouble with the Law, I've never heard about him being violent before, so I won't crucify him. If you don't want to be friends with a person like him, fine, I wouldn't too. But to boycott one's work, it's too much. And I'm not mad at DB, just discussing facts that happened at the reunion and afterwards.

Thanks

I don't want to keep repeating myself but he has been violent before and this wasn't a single incident. He received a suspended one-year jail sentence for attacking an officer, he was charged for malicious property damage after he he started smashing things in a hotel lobby to intimidate staff, he's punched a hole through a car window, and he's been charged repeatedly for trashing his hotel rooms (ripping phones off the wall, smashing furniture, plugging toilets so they'd overflow etc). This was the first time that he was charged for being violent towards his girlfriend but pretty much all of his arrests have been violent in nature.

I won't keep talking about this but my point is that it's really unfair to claim anyone is being "unprofessional" or unreasonable for not liking him or wanting him around. In any other industry he wouldn't have even been invited to attend and there shouldn't be a double-standard for actors just because fans have an emotional attachment to their work. And IF Sarah purposely excluded him from her statement then I just don't blame her. If a former colleague of mine had behaved like he has then regardless of what he did or didn't contribute to my workplace, I wouldn't feel obliged to give him a personal shout out either. The most professional and kind thing she could do was to not mention him at all and leave it at that.
    Last edited by vampmogs; 21-05-17 at 10:52 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (23-05-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,488 Posts

I have a family member who was in prison for nearly 25 years for as bad or worse than Nick Brendan did; he's one of the hardest working and most decent people I know today. People aren't defined by the one worst thing they ever did, at least certainly oughtn't be, not for family, not among friends or comrades. Fans, perhaps, but really what do we matter? I said I don't expect SMG to be warm or fond of him, but I think it's a bit far to pointedly omit him in the context of recalling all that made the show, the show.

Might be a generational thing -- the new fad is "purifying" history, after all, just wiping away all the things that are historically troubling, or more to it, aren't properly and universally demonized in history as the prevailing trend thinks they should be, better to just try to make sure nobody ever knew they happened at all. Maybe we can get a domestic violence cut of the show, that puts Hayden Christiansen in as Xander? *wan smile*

Banner by LRae12

Library Researcher
    Thanks

Back to a point of mine, there is not a pointed omission. Had she named Amber, CC, Tony, the other writers and various other people and left Nick out, that would be something else. Do we assume there is animosity there, too? Do Amber and Charisma hate him, too? They're not in the mug photo.

We don't really *know* anything even with Nick's comments on it. It could very well not be the truth or the whole truth. It seems unlikely the EW people would tell him flat-out DB didn't want him there. You'd get a vague "Other members don't feel comfortable with you there..." explanation instead of naming names directly.

We'll never know, unless someone has the guts to ask one of them if they ever do another AMA type thing. I say all this because of the whole slew of old stories from way back where this sort of thing spiraled out of control in the gossip mill. Emma's not wanting to talk about SMG, for example.