Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dollhouse Watch

Thanks
    Thanked 13,666 Times in 5,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Maybe rather than assign a principal reviewer, we just post watch dates and have like a rolling, what, 3 days, 4 days discussion time? No rule says more than one person can't just make their first post their first impression and not a reply to someone else, can still also reply to what you are reading. Or assigned reviews works too, but I think that's where we're hitting the gaps, because RL stops people from getting reviews in on time and such.
    Without a principal reviewer is definitely what I was thinking and for the same reason, that it will keep it flowing/light. I think it should be very casual so people can choose whether to post any of their own specific thoughts on an ep, just respond to what others write, or a combination of the two. If we keep it on a continuous flow people may not choose to post on every episode or do a catch up post for up to the current ep after a couple/few. I think it should just be pretty relaxed really (but spoiler tagged obviously).

If we started off working to a Sun/Mon watch and an end of the week Thu/Fri one too, then we can see if that works??

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    What does everyone think, should we include the unaired pilot in the watch? It's called "Echo" and Wikipedia lists it as the 0 episode of season 1. I'm not sure about its availability. I suggest we include it but only after finishing season 1. It's an excellent episode, much better than the first 5 episodes of season 1, and it would have gotten me to want to watch the show if it had been aired, the way that the actual first episode, "Ghost", did not. If I wanted to convince someone to give Dollhouse a try, I'd show them the unaired pilot. But if you are already committed to the show, you shouldn't watch it first because it spoils about half the season worth of storyline. It's not canon, but it's interesting to see what the show would have been like had it been arc-driven and faster-paced from the start.
    I've just had a look and my DVD collection includes the unaired pilot as a special feature so I'm happy if we want to include this. I think it should definitely go at the end of S1 if it spoils aspects of the season, isn't canon and there is a chance not everyone is going to be able to access it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,852 Posts

"Echo" is a bonus feature on the S1 DVD set, but honestly we should watch it after finishing or not at all. Joss' own stated principle when making films is there is no director's cut; the director's cut is what went to the theatre. So too with his TV shows; the show is what got made and broadcast. It's not like "Firefly" where they just arbitrarily screwed with the broadcast order, and "The Train Job" didn't logically contradict "Serenity, Part I&II" that were basically included as flashback later. If I recall, "Echo" and "Ghost" are the pilots of almost two different shows.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks
    Thanked 4,827 Times in 2,278 Posts

"Echo" is a bonus feature on the S1 DVD set, but honestly we should watch it after finishing or not at all. Joss' own stated principle when making films is there is no director's cut; the director's cut is what went to the theatre. So too with his TV shows; the show is what got made and broadcast. It's not like "Firefly" where they just arbitrarily screwed with the broadcast order, and "The Train Job" didn't logically contradict "Serenity, Part I&II" that were basically included as flashback later. If I recall, "Echo" and "Ghost" are the pilots of almost two different shows.
    I certainly wouldn't agree with that. There are differences in storylines (and some of them were re-used in other season 1 episodes), but the characters are the same and the themes are the same. And it's not like Joss or anyone deemed it bad or rejected it, it's clear that it was something made to show what the show was about (and it succeeds in that), but they weren't going to show it because they were going to have the story develop more slowly over the season. If it's a bonus feature, it sure doesn't hurt to watch it, does it?
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,852 Posts

Sure, but I think the fairest "no prior knowledge" view of the series is to start with "Ghost", not "Echo".

Banner by LRae12

Thanks
    Thanked 4,827 Times in 2,278 Posts

Sure, but I think the fairest "no prior knowledge" view of the series is to start with "Ghost", not "Echo".
    Well, that's why I said to watch it after having seen season 1.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,666 Times in 5,668 Posts

OK, I just wanted to confirm the episode order as I've been surprised in the past by differences between the UK and US. I'm assuming that we will include watching Echo at the end of S1 for anyone who wants to watch it too. So, the episode lists I have are as follows:

Season 1
    - Ghost
    - The Target
    - Stage Fright
    - Gray Hour
    - True Believer
    - Man on the Street
    - Echoes
    - Needs
    - A Spy in the House of Love
    - Haunted
    - Briar Rose
    - Omega
    - Epitaph One
    - (Echo)

Season 2
    - Vows
    - Instinct
    - Belle Chose
    - Belonging
    - The Public Eye
    - The Left Hand
    - Meet Jane Doe
    - A Love Supreme
    - Stop-Loss
    - The Attic
    - Getting Closer
    - The Hollow Men
    - Epitaph Two: Return

I'll set up the thread for S1 tomorrow assuming noone cries out with any problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the link to the S1 thread, now up and ready for posts on Ghost.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (23-10-16)