Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: BtVS rewatch: SEASON 6

Thanks

A thing of evil I truly appreciate you continuing the discussion here on the thread I truly did enjoy reading your post about 'OMWF' even if we disagree, I truly honour your thoughts. In my past, I did read some critics that agree with you about the actors can't sing. This is when I differ. I do genuinely get want you are trying to state that the actors don't have some extent of singing abilities, within the specific professionalism like for example Barbra Streisand or even Elaine Paige, who are built within the musical scenery.

For example, Leona Lewis version of Grizabella in Cats she got unsupportive reviews stating she couldn't act the role, but no one can deny the fact she has a sensational vocal range especially considering her head voice and falsetto (I even loved Leona's version of her representation of 'Memory' soft and yet compelling).

So, IMO 'OMWF' wasn't about the vocal range or the technique or showing off their singing abilities, if there can sing or not hence why I connected within the classic country genre of the old recording sound because they tell their own powerful narration through compositions and song. It feels genuine and raw the emotion is the key to that specific own individual story, is to indeed express their own unique art it pushes character development further.

Also, want I adore about this episode I said it previously in my other post there just didn't just randomly make a musical there made a concept to push characters along within the development from the beginning of season 6, for me it wasn't about the singing it was the realness of genuine emotion that held within these characters, and finally realising it by song and personally I'm glad they can't sing because IMO it does sound primary, I wouldn't like a voice over because then it wouldn’t feel right or original. To me, the sounding of their original sounds is even more spectacular and dynamic. The emotion and acting were profound IMO especially the scene when Buffy confessed she was in heaven, because you have to admit the emotion is there and the character development just got unleashed.

And also this.

Someone states on Tumblr "#s6 Buffy is still the best portrayal of depression that I’ve seen" which I totally agree, love this season, the darkness, the realism of society.

My random rambling.

Want I beloved about 'I touch the fire' is the mental representation of being cold straying that warmness and desire while still mention the word fire, maybe the negative of burning out is that Buffy wants to feel and keep the fire to clench the flames wanting a purpose to burn to crack and peel even the fire is not even phasing her she doesn't feel pain because she is already in pain numb to the feeling. Psychological state of mind she wants the fire back. Like a conclusion of the journey of depression maybe? She wants her fire back.

Here is another representation of another song that I found that had the same theme embracing the flames but this time the representation was in a lighter formality a positive wish in Buffy current state of mind, for example, Johnny sings about an emotion that Buffy would love to feel.

“I fell into a burning ring of fire,
    I went down, down, down and the flames went higher
    And it burns, burns, burns,
    The ring of fire, the ring of fire.”

IMO Johnny Cash was singing a song, a creation about a natural progression of a feeling an emotion. Showcasing a realism.

Because I thought Buffy was full of love and was blinded with the fire. She knows deep down that she lost something apart of her. “You are full of love. You love with all of your soul. It's brighter than the fire, blinding. That's why you pull away from it."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-07-17),Silver1 (15-07-17),Stoney (15-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,878 Times in 2,812 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buffylover View Post
    But Stoney you should already know that life can bite you hence why you should have made it into an open discussion thread. Like does anyone consider that I might have LP when I wrote my overview, but no one seemed to appreciate or continue the discussion? it feels that everyone didn't want my opinion their still waiting for AA making me feel unwelcome on this side of the forum and I shouldn't feel this way.

Because no one responded to my post about 'OMWF' but concentrating on want shows to watch on AA recovery which was making this thread dysfunctional.

This might come across rude or be sounding nasty but I'm sorry a whole entire forum shouldn't stop because of someone's LP.

Because I did try continue the discussion but no one seemed to be intrested... Again still waiting for AA.
    These rewatch threads have always been run on the basis of a review first, followed by responses and open discussion. It doesn't stop you posting thoughts on the episode, but it is probably why the responses will be limited prior to the review. The thread isn't closed at the moment, it is just not actively moving forward and any thoughts on the episodes covered so far are still very welcome. This hardly stops the whole forum as new threads can be opened for discussions by anyone at any time. Sadly the board is just very quiet these days, but that isn't because this group/thread makes it so. We aren't looking to pressure Aurora but just be a community and compassionate. She honestly knows that skipping the review and returning to it later is an option. So unless Aurora feels unable to return to the review now, waiting a short time longer is where we are at.

I'm sorry you didn't feel welcome because no one responded and if you have been having life problems yourself too. These boards are great places to come and focus on shows that we love and get the opportunity to escape those problems, even if it can only be brief. I have enjoyed reading your posts and I agree with your point of view about the actor's singing. The fact that they have differing abilities really helps it all feel more genuine and so it connects better emotionally. Do you have any thoughts on the episodes that have come before OMWF that you would like to share? How do you feel about the way the group have responded to Buffy on her return?
    Last edited by Stoney; 15-07-17 at 06:58 AM.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-07-17),buffylover (15-07-17),Clavus (15-07-17),Priceless (16-07-17),Silver1 (15-07-17),TimeTravellingBunny (15-07-17)

Library Researcher
    Thanks

Someone states on Tumblr "#s6 Buffy is still the best portrayal of depression that I’ve seen"
    I was never satisfied with how depression is portrayed in season six. The depiction of Buffy's depression just doesn't seem genuine to me, I think that, at best, it's a cheap glamorization. And I don't like how Buffy suddenly stops being depressed just because the season is coming to an end. It's a complete fantasy. Depression doesn't just go away. You have to overcome it or at least learn to manage it and that takes a lot of work, none of which the season portrays. The entire arc ends up being completely half-assed in my opinion.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-07-17),buffylover (15-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    I was never satisfied with how depression is portrayed in season six. The depiction of Buffy's depression just doesn't seem genuine to me, I think that, at best, it's a cheap glamorization. And I don't like how Buffy suddenly stops being depressed just because the season is coming to an end. It's a complete fantasy. Depression doesn't just go away. You have to overcome it or at least learn to manage it and that takes a lot of work, none of which the season portrays. The entire arc ends up being completely half-assed in my opinion.
    I truly respect that you weren't satisfied on how the depression got executed in season six however I disagree I have seen it a lot differently than you within my own personal circumstances. You do realise they are actually different depressions, right? Which depressions did Buffy have maybe "Clinical depression" she did lose herself within her trauma, of well digging herself out of her own grave? and losing that tranquillity in heaven. Or depression that her life is worrying her and pushing boundaries of pressure to re form a normal life? Which one? I personally think Well IMO maybe both.

I absolutely adore the journey and development a theme and concept, a troubled youth finding her place within society. I find the depression and the darkness to be really compelling. I love the fact that we have a hero who actually has the most trouble normal life structure, IMO which is very inspirational, she is a super hero who has crap and well she lost herself. If you actually notice the progressions at the beginning for instances she was suicidal and in "gone" she did actually realise she did not want to die. Then this amazing empowerment by her own mother to make her have her flame back.

"JOYCE (O.S.)
    We'll always be with you. There's
    a world of strength in your heart,
    honey. I know there is. You just have to find it again.
    A moment passes. Then Buffy's panic and fear wash away.

JOYCE
    Believe in yourself."

I thought that was the point of s6, to overcome her and change the negative and depressions to realise that the "earth is actually beautiful" I thought that was a very profound conclusion. And IMO very inspirational, because life is not a walk in the park. Hence why I adore this quote because it speaks volumes and connection to normality. "The Hardest Thing In This World Is To Live In It" It might sound cheesy but Buffy is my hero!

This is why I adore that scene specifical in season 11 when she breaks down because her mental abstraction didn't go away. Sorry, a thing evil for the random rambling.
    Last edited by buffylover; 15-07-17 at 08:37 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-07-17)

Library Researcher
    Thanks

Which depressions did Buffy have
    In season eight Buffy describes herself as being "clinically depressed" in season six. It's one of the reasons I'm so miffed about it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-07-17),buffylover (15-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    In season eight Buffy describes herself as being "clinically depressed" in season six. It's one of the reasons I'm so miffed about it.
    It's okay to be miffed about it because everyone is different.

Whilst I can see it within s6.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,878 Times in 2,812 Posts

I think Buffy was deeply traumatised by her experiences from the resurrection and the depression is a direct symptom of the layered experiences she had which emotionally hurt her (in addition to the general pressures and difficulties she had/has with being the Slayer). I find it very believable, made the characters more relatable, and think they covered how many members of the group can have troubled/darker/weaker times for many reasons really well in S6. But the overall message in the end is about coming through these patches. It was followed up by how you can draw from these experiences to strengthen yourself in their stories of S7. As a pair I think the seasons are really good and fit to the show well for showing the characters experiencing growing up and progressive development from their experiences.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (17-07-17),buffylover (16-07-17),Clavus (16-07-17)