Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffy # 30 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,102 Posts

Default Buffy # 30 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

A brief advanced review for the issue is up so I'm opening the thread.The issue is out next week.

Advanced review of Nuffy # 30.

http://voiceofe.com/2016/08/buffy-th...o-a-close.html

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 Comes to a Close

Posted on August 13, 2016 by Elliott Miller

Thank you Dark Horse, from those of us who have loved Buffy and her cast of misfit scoobies over the years, and just couldn’t bear to see it all end. You have brought us three entire new seasons worth of Buffy goodness, with character development, dangers new and old, and a big thumbs up from Joss Whedon himself.

Now that third new season, Season 10 in the Buffy timeline, is coming to a close in Season 10, Issue #30. The Vengeance Demon D’Hoffryn has plans to eliminate the Buffy crew and take over the world, and some familiar faces have joined him. The final battle is filed with humor, surprises, some smiles and some tears. It’s hard to believe that I can care about these characters so much after all these years off of the silver screen, but Dark Horse, the writing of Christos Gage, and the artwork of Rebekah Isaacs, bring an emotional response out of me every time. Hell, they even got a “Brilliant!” out of me in this issue.

Plus, you’ll get a peek at when might be in store for us in Season 11!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10, Issue 30 goes on sale August 24th.
    Last edited by BAF; 16-08-16 at 02:08 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (16-08-16),cil_domney (25-08-16),Clavus (17-08-16),DanSlayer (17-08-16),Stoney (16-08-16)

Slayer
    Thanks

2nd advanced Buffy # 30 review.Spoiler heavy

http://wickedhorror.com/comics/comic...ire-slayer-30/

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #30

By Nat Brehmer
    August 23, 2016

Another comic book season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer has officially ended—although the blow is somewhat lessened by the fact that we only have to wait until November for the new season to start. Even still, this feels as much like a finale as the closers to any given season of the television show. It wraps up all of the major themes that have been present throughout Season 10. Most character arcs are resolved, while at the same time a new direction for each character is made quite clear.

Again, this is important, with Season 11 being right around the corner. The issue also opens in the middle of a major dramatic sequence, as the previous issue ended on a huge cliffhanger with Buffy and crew facing off against D’Hoffryn and his magic clone of Anya, who had apparently just killed Xander.

I’ve heard from several people who stopped reading the comic right then. They simply would not take a single step forward if Xander was dead. And I tried to explain that they should really wait until the finale to see if he was really dead or not. But so many fans were so sure. They had already made up their minds. Well, buckle up, folks. It’s spoiler alert time.

Of course, Xander’s not dead. I knew this even when I was trying to tell readers that they should give the comic the benefit of the doubt, because if you’re going to kill a character as beloved as Xander, you’re not going to do it on a cliffhanger like that. It’s going to be emotional and it’s going to be earned. In fact, not only is Xander not dead, this is the happiest Buffy finale we’ve ever had.

I was cheering at the moment when Buffy subtly states that she wishes she never allowed D’Hoffryn to gain so much power, because that was all the slayer needed to turn the tables on the lord of wish-granting vengeance demons. It’s one of the only action beats in the issue, but is probably one of my favorite moments from the entire run of the comics so far.

They didn’t kill a single member of the main cast, which is something all fans have come to expect from the title. In fact, not only did none of the Scoobies die, but they didn’t even break up Buffy and Spike—something that all fans of that relationship were dreading.

I think it was the right move to keep those two together. Their relationship is still evolving. They have fears and doubts and they’re expressing those to each other in a healthy way. They’ve been maturing for a long time and while they’re not quite there yet, they’ve made a ton of progress and I’m glad none of that was undone. At this point, it’s kind of a win-win because even if they break up, they’d just go back to that season four-era chemistry. That was gold.

More importantly, the season ends with the gang taking on a lot of new responsibilities. At the beginning, they couldn’t trust themselves to write the rules of magic, but now they’ve learned that they can’t trust anyone else, either. This has led them—Buffy, Willow and Giles in particular—to take positions at the head of the Magic Council. It’s going to be a totally new dynamic for them. This is essentially Buffy becoming a stateswoman—no wonder they gave her Hillary Clinton’s hair—and I can’t wait to see how it plays out.

WICKED RATING: 8.5/10

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (23-08-16),betta (23-08-16),cil_domney (25-08-16),PointMan (23-08-16)

Evil Twin
    Thanks

Why am I not surprised that Xander is being used as a decoy. They might as well change his name to Xander Herring. Perhaps I should reserve judgement until the issue comes out, but I don't see there being any real potential for good development here. I can already guess how it's going to play out.
    Last edited by PointMan; 23-08-16 at 01:43 PM.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 721 Posts

Haters on suicide watch, gnashing their teeth in impotent rage! This is great, this is so great! The gang's together, my boy Xander's alive, all is right with the world.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

betta (23-08-16),cil_domney (25-08-16)

Evil Twin
    Thanks

I've read the issue, so I'll recap.

I think people can probably guess how things unfold here. Right after Buffy gives her speech that was in the preview, the one that ended with a wish, Fake Anya says "wish granted" and suddenly D-man isn't all powerful anymore. She then restores Xander, who wasn't dead, only rendered incorporeal and unable to be seen or heard. D'Hoffryn mortally wounds Anya after this, and she dies in Xander's arms. The other vengeance demons turn on D'Hoffryn, so he runs away back to his home office, where Buffy slices his head off. The team decide to reform the magic council, with Buffy, Willow and Giles as some of the new members. Also included is Dracula, who refers to Dawn as Xander's child bride(yes hey are dating again) The issue ends on a super upbeat note.

I'm sure plenty of people will enjoy the issue. I was left with a feeling of 'meh'. I'm disappointed that they wasted what I saw as such a good opportunity with what happened to Xander, either by actually killing the character and leaving him that way, or having th scoobies bring him back and paving the way for a post-resurrection story line. I understand the reason for the deception, but I found the twist to be entirely too predictable. As for everything else; it just felt to neatly wrapped up for my tastes. There's nothing that leaved me wanting to see what happends next, no hint of troubles ahead. Everyone is happy, healthy and together. Such developments may sound good, but happy charactrs rarely make for interesting stories. I'm sure I'll get plenty of disagreement here.
    “The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” -- Albert Einstein

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PointMan For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (25-08-16)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PointMan View Post
    Everyone is happy, healthy and together. Such developments may sound good, but happy charactrs rarely make for interesting stories. I'm sure I'll get plenty of disagreement here.
    If it had ended with yet another group hug, which I was expecting, I might agree with you, but I loved the final scene with all the politicking and demon lobby groups and Buffy in her business dress, and yay!Riley. I'm excited for season 11. I think the shorter, tighter format is going to suit Gage's writing style.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morphia For This Useful Post:

betta (24-08-16),cil_domney (25-08-16),Silver1 (24-08-16)

Slayer
    Thanks

I won't have my copy until later in the week.I was expecting Xander to be brought back/or not actually dead.

As for the happy ending.Again,expected that given what we know about season 11.That ending will probably be the calm before the storm that is going to hit at the start of season 11.I think things will be going good in issue 1 of season 11 but by the end of the issue,BOOM! All hell breaks loose setting up the disaster that will drive the rest of season 11.
    Last edited by BAF; 24-08-16 at 12:32 PM.

Slayer
    Thanks

Oi let's not pretend that this is the first happy ending this franchise has ever had, OK? Season 1, 3, 4, 9 and now 10 - that's basically half.

I don't see a problem.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

betta (24-08-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,861 Times in 569 Posts

So basically the comic ended almost exactly as predicted by PuckRobin and other posters. Agree with PointMan that Xander's survival surprised exactly no one - worst cliffhanger in the entire Buffyverse.

This has to be the dullest season ever with every predictable plot point ticked off like the faux "plot twists" of a young teen novel. But I guess that's the audience for the Buffy comic now - young teens haven't read much fiction at all, so to them, this all seems fresh and new.

And that's what Dark Horse is counting on like most corporate entertainment entities these days, believe me - skew younger and you might be able to capture some of the teen supernatural romance crowd. But I can't imagine most adults would say that this was a great Buffy season - Season One or Seven of Buffy towers above it.

And that's because Buffy used to subvert the tropes of supernatural teen movies and books with adult subject matter and adult irony - that's why it was a popular show - now the Buffy franchise (Season Ten and Buffy: The High School Years) seems to be an exemplar of everything that's wrong with corporate-driven and produced teen fiction today.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to American Aurora For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (25-08-16),Clavus (24-08-16),DoktorRock (24-08-16),kimothyschma (24-08-16),Maggie (24-08-16),TimeTravellingBunny (26-08-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,848 Posts

So, was Fauxnya a double cross from the start? I like that if so. Also, impression Xander was in on it? That would have some saving grace, too. I could write some very Xander joke lines about that plan, force ghost humor, etc.

Banner by LRae12

Slayer
    Thanks

@American Aurora
    But I guess that's the audience for the Buffy comic now - young teens
    But that has always been Buffy's target audience. Young people. Is it really Buffy's problem that you feel like you've outgrown it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    @American Aurora

But that has always been Buffy's target audience. Young people. Is it really Buffy's problem that you feel like you've outgrown it?

Yeah... let's be honest... BtVS, especially the first 3 seasons, were targeted to young people... the thing is, the show was so well written that attracted older viewers (like me).

I love that Xander wasn't killed and we won't have another ressurrection plot.

I would have liked, though, that the preview didn't have shown us Buffy's wish (and those big eyes of Anya in the panel) - it would have been more of a surprise.

D'Hoffryn: R.I.P. I liked him as the villain.

And Dawn the Key now have the power to open portals from Earth - cool.

Everybody happy in the finale makes me happy; I don't feel the need for deaths - they almost always end up being undone, anyway...

And of course, Spuffy goes on, so it's great.
    Last edited by betta; 24-08-16 at 04:01 PM.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (24-08-16),Clavus (24-08-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,117 Times in 1,068 Posts

BtVS certainly was happy to have younger viewers, but it reached out well beyond them. It's still taught in college courses. Serious books and articles have been written about it. And it is still named as one of the most important TV shows ever. That's because, as Aurora says, it both told the stories that teens wanted to hear and it subverted the crap out of those stories.

The comics now are just a garden variety afterschool special sort of deal. Yes, kids, when you grow up you will have to make important decisions and live with the consequences. By the time I saw the engraving on Anya's urn I was cringing. The only thing good about this was imagining the way Vamps would rip it if he thought it worth the bother to read it at all.

Query for the house -- when we had the obligatory "Spike and Buffy are now in a very good space" scene did anyone wonder if their bit about how subtext was text wasn't Gage copping to his own woefully pedestrian writing style where he has to explicitly lay out the themes that the story should carry on its own? And not just once, but over and over and over again. Own it. Own it. Own it. blah blah blah.

"I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." Banner Credit: Vampmogs

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (25-08-16),DoktorRock (24-08-16),kimothyschma (24-08-16),TimeTravellingBunny (26-08-16)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,190 Posts

And yet for all 10's faults imo it still made more sense then dear old season 8.

Slayer
    Thanks

@betta
    Yeah... let's be honest... BtVS, especially the first 3 seasons, were targeted to young people... the thing is, the show was so well written that attracted older viewers (like me).
    That's true, certainly, but you can't blame the comics for targeting the same audience as the show, right?

@Maggie
    It's still taught in college courses.
    Sadly, yes

I wish Buffy studies weren't a thing anymore. Have you read some of the trash they're responsible for? It's embarrassing.

@Silver1
    And yet for all 10's faults imo it still made more sense then dear old season 8.
    It's weird - season 10 doesn't have the snappy dialog of season 8, it doesn't have the depth of season 9, there are pacing issues and the story's not very strong either but it's still so much more fun to read than season 8 and 9. Hell, I'd rather read season 10 again than watch through parts of season 6 and 7
    Last edited by a thing of evil; 24-08-16 at 05:25 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

betta (25-08-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,848 Posts

Season 10 is quite facile, but it knows how and who it wants to please. Season 8 is still far and away the strongest comic season, because it felt the most consequential, the most high stakes. If it weren't for its numerous world-building stumbles in the 4th act, it could have been the strongest story arc of the franchise for sheer narrative, despite the well documented aversion some had for the setting in anyway new or different than the televised seasons (Season 10, by contrast, could have been pitched like Nick Offerman's meta explanation of the plot of "22 Jump Street" -- people loved what you did before, so let's do exactly the same thing again).

I will have to wait to read it until off work. Think the details will determine if I like it or not.

Banner by LRae12

27. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (26-08-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,861 Times in 569 Posts

a thing of evil:

@American Aurora
    But I guess that's the audience for the Buffy comic now - young teens

ATOE: But that has always been Buffy's target audience. Young people. Is it really Buffy's problem that you feel like you've outgrown it?
    Hey, a thing of evil!

I thought you weren't talking to me anymore! Welcome back!

Since I never watched Buffy during its original television run (except for one episode) and became interested in it only about a year-and-a-half ago, I could hardly have grown out of it to begin with!

For WB, yes, the teen audience was the target. From multiple interviews with Whedon, the creator was aiming for something a little bit more interesting and a lot more subversive from the beginning - which is why he was so angry that they mucked up the movie version and felt he could correct this in the TV version. Battles between the corporate view of the show as a teenybopper piece and the creative view of the artists writing it ensued.

You're confusing the motives of the distributor with the actual artist. The network wanted teen tropes - Whedon wanted to subvert teen tropes. Does this mean that BtVS was The Wire? Hell, no. But it does mean that it never took typical maudlin teen stories and stereotypes that glutted the market entirely seriously? Yes - which processes the idea that "high school is hell" through a terrific lens of adult wit and irony.

The problem with the comic is not that it deals with young adulthood - but that it does so without the irony that made Buffy so enjoyable. Season Ten is full of eye-rolling After School Special lectures on trust and love and how to be a good friend that the Buffy series would have eviscerated with glee - for the most part.

In my opinion, almost all of the major dramatic failures of the Buffy television series (like Willow's magical drug addiction in Wrecked or Spike's endlessly dull torture at the hands of the First or General Buffy's preposterous lectures in Season Seven) are because any and all ironic adult perspectives are missing - leaving teen bathos and cheese-whiz. A lot of dramatic failure for want of a Xander zinger that would have undercut the melodrama - melodrama inherent in most supernatural dramas.
    Last edited by American Aurora; 24-08-16 at 05:57 PM.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to American Aurora For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (25-08-16),DoktorRock (25-08-16),PuckRobin (25-08-16),TimeTravellingBunny (26-08-16)

Thanks

Yes. I was disappointed, but not surprised. Very predictable. I'm not exactly holding my breath for Season 11.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to kimothyschma For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (25-08-16)

Slayer
    Thanks

Buffy # 30 Slayalive Q/A with Christos Gage has started.

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...ason-10-finale

Buffy # 30 Slayalive Q/A with Rebekah Isaacs has started.

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...ason-10-finale

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

betta (24-08-16),cil_domney (25-08-16),Silver1 (24-08-16)

Thanks

Agree - and I loved Young Giles taking over a leadership role and finding, hopefully, some way to find peace and emotional health with his new life plus Spike's who could be a great VP I think was cute and I liked the panels with Willow saying she ready to take charge and so is Buffy. Still, just because I liked the panels, does not mean that it was all too predictable and simple. And I'm not sure but I'm wondering about the age range of the current readership - are they teens and young adults? The comic book readership mostly came over from the series and they were a great many who were not this Teen and Young Adult range - after all this time I think a lot of readers are not this teen and young adult age. As for the Romance Market - how many of our members read Romance Novels - I bet that many.

I liked the last panel with Buffy and the Slayer Scythe looking like The New Leader with her Staff bringing in a new reign - OK, totally heavy handed visual but I still liked seeing Buffy take charge

Don't think anyone was surprised with Ghost Anya turning on D'Hoffryn with Buffy's vengeance wish - would not any of the vengeance demons been obligated to answer Buffy's call for vengeance? I was surprised that a little bit more of a set up for the next season was not presented. Perhaps the Dawn now has her powers to use on Earth will be important in the coming season - I did expect that Dawn would be given a bigger role in the finale. Not that Dawn being able to transport them all and bringing them together for the final destruction of D'Hoffryn was not significant - it just seemed a little too easy and quick.

One thing I totally agree with you - I am very much liking the shorter amount of issues - not being a big fan of comic books even after all this time, I still dislike the monthly issue and how long it takes to complete a story with this format.

From American Aurora:

So basically the comic ended almost exactly as predicted by PuckRobin and other posters. Agree with PointMan that Xander's survival surprised exactly no one - worst cliffhanger in the entire Buffyverse.

This has to be the dullest season ever with every predictable plot point ticked off like the faux "plot twists" of a young teen novel. But I guess that's the audience for the Buffy comic now - young teens haven't read much fiction at all, so to them, this all seems fresh and new.

And that's what Dark Horse is counting on like most corporate entertainment entities these days, believe me - skew younger and you might be able to capture some of the teen supernatural romance crowd. But I can't imagine most adults would say that this was a great Buffy season - Season One or Seven of Buffy towers above it.

And that's because Buffy used to subvert the tropes of supernatural teen movies and books with adult subject matter and adult irony - that's why it was a popular show - now the Buffy franchise (Season Ten and Buffy: The High School Years) seems to be an exemplar of everything that's wrong with corporate-driven and produced teen fiction today.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any of the TV seasons are beyond superior to the comic book seasons - the comic book season, IMHO, have always had that quality of writing for a younger readership than the TV series - maybe it comes from the perceptions by Dark Horse that the Buffyverse fans like this "young adult/teen" style or simplistic story treatment is mandated by the format. I don't know, I only read these comic books because I still have such a BIG love for the TV Buffyverse and this is all that we can get now and so I continue to buy them each month. One thing for sure - I don't read these comic books with the expectations that they will be particularly intellectually stimulating or that they will have any strong emotional effects on me.

It's a pity that the Buffyverse did not continue, at least on a limited basis, with the novel format that would have continue with the exploration of the TV series themes and events. The novels would have offered an alternative to fans who wanted more depth and mature treatments to contrast the comic book seasons.

Could be that Dark Horse is simply, as you state, going for that "teen supernatural romance" readership - that's why they came out with the new back to high school issues. Don't know about the rest of you but for me it's like a great big who cares to go back to high school Buffy years.

Anyway - sorry for the rant - Can't say that I did not enjoy the keeping Buffy and Spike together even with many of the simplified solutions to the events of the TV series and all the issues that were ignored from the Twilight Times. I admit to being a spuffyholic just kinda wish that I could read a great long novel instead of comic books.
    Last edited by cil_domney; 25-08-16 at 08:42 AM.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (25-08-16),betta (25-08-16),kimothyschma (25-08-16),Silver1 (25-08-16)