Thread: The Sunnydale High Cafetaria (Discussion & Feedback Thread)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,009 Times in 989 Posts

Default The Sunnydale High Cafetaria (Discussion & Feedback Thread)

Since only a few of us are left, we decided to change the set up of the challenges. This way people can continue to come here for promps and inspiration even now we no longer have enough people to host challenges the classic way.
    Now you might wonder how this works and to be honest, we've not worked it all out yet. So if you have ideas we will love to hear it. This is what we have at the moment:

• We will have one thread where every 5 (or 6?) weeks a new challenge is posted.
    • The prompts and challenges can be suggested in this thread by anyone.
    • It's also okay to suggest an idea that's been done before (just like with the Throwback Challenges).
    • There is no host, so no feedback requirement for anyone.
    • That said, anyone who wants to give feedback an entry is very welcome.

So ideas to make this concept better? Ideas for challenges? Do you want the feedback to be posted in this discussion thread or in the art thread? Let us know!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,195 Times in 3,830 Posts

I had thought an inspiration thread could have a bank of ideas rather than one set challenge every six weeks. So people could put forward suggestions that either just get added to or are only are kept for a set period (so you could have the Sep/Oct suggestions). These could provide some really wide ideas people could use - like suggestions for a visual element to use/include, a specific colour combination, a stock, lyrics or quotes, a theme, a specific skill challenge etc, and also link a throwback too. We could then have our general art challenges submission thread where anything generated from the inspiration thread gets posted and where feedback can be given as people wish.

If it wasn't an open/ongoing bank of ideas but only lasted a couple of months then people would need to be able to put forward suggestions for the next couple of months ideas during the current period. So that would take more specific ongoing administration than just adding in suggestions as they are submitted as and when.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (06-08-16),cil_domney (10-11-16),Nina (05-08-16)

Thanks

So a database where everybody can post ideas and then people can use those ideas to pitch potential challenges? Do I understand that correctly?

Thanks

I wasn't thinking of specific challenges running but a bank of ideas available constantly, or for a set period, that people use as the equivalent of a challenge rather than them being used to generate challenges from. I was trying to remove the need for a host and it become a more open, less structured way to get prompts without set challenges. Something everyone can contribute to all the time, as there are so few active members at the moment. The bank can include throwbacks in too of course for a more structured challenge idea. A general posting thread would then be where people would put anything that they had used the prompt thread to inspire.

??

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (13-08-16),cil_domney (10-11-16),Nina (08-08-16)

Thanks

Sorry I've been so absent. I've not had time for fanart recently but hope to get back to it soon. I just thought I'd drop in after seeing Nina's Mortal God picspam. I agree the picspam format doesn't work as well so long, but I loved the colouring combination in that piece, so deep and intense which is just great for the subject.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (10-11-16),Nina (19-10-16)

Thanks

Thank you and I look forward to your return. I've been on a hiatus myself, I had to buy a new computer. It's rather shocking to see how different the colors are on different screens.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (19-10-16)

Thanks

Indeed - you have to work on a good calibration and then colors and qualities can totally change depending on the background colors used in different art communities for their posts.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

Nina (12-11-16)

Thanks

I need one of those calibration things which you can put in front of your screen for a proper calibration, don't I? I've tried to do it without one, but seeing the differences of the same art on a new screen tells me enough about how succesful that was. It's a pity, I love photoshop and making fanart but I do not have the money to make sure that everything is optimal. So it's possible I make something that looks horrible on a proper screen. I noticed that my old stuff lacked a lot of depth.

Thanks

I don't understand the technical side of things (what is a calibration thing??), but have noticed a lot of my pieces lack contrast in a way I wasn't aware of at the time I did them. I'm not sure if that is because I'm just more aware, because I've bought a better computer since, or both. I'm totally willing to accept the inconsistency is just me.

Thanks

It could be both, but if you got yourself a new monitor it probably plays a big role.

And this is what I call a 'calibration thing' --> click No idea what the actual name is. :')

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (12-11-16)