Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: The Season 11 Thread - Discussion, Speculation and News

Thanks

Do you think the master will come back?

I know he did. But if this is the last season. It'd be nice to see Buffy fight her first big bad for one last time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 2,849 Posts

It seems to me that either the big bad is not supernatural at all, like the Government/Initiative types, and this is why they need the power being drained to use to power the machine and perform the draining. Or they have some magical link and want to boost their power to perform the draining, and/or to benefit from the power being drained themselves in the long run. I'm not sure either sits well against a big bad like The Master. I hope there is a meaningful link between the gang and the big bad to give it some more weight though.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 Times in 828 Posts

Former Buffy editor Scott Allie leaves Dark Horse Comics

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09...oes-freelance/

Scott Allie Steps Down From Dark Horse Comics, Goes Freelance

Posted by Rich Johnston September 29, 2017

Scott Allie is a longstanding comic book writer and editor, best known for his work at Portland publisher, Dark Horse Comics, for over twenty years.

He began editing Mike Mignola’s Hellboy in 1994, expanding the line and then co-writing BPRD, Abe Sapien, and other. He edited Joss Whedon’s 2001 comics debut, Fray, and worked with Whedon Buffy the Vampire Slayer and related series as both writer and editor. In 2004 he relaunched Robert E Howard’s Conan and other characters, brought Felicia Day and The Guild to comics in 2010, and Chuck Palahniuk and Fight Club in 2015. He also worked on original series The Umbrella Academy with Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba, Beasts of Burden by Ethan Dorkin and Jill Thompson, Lady Killer by Joelle Jones, Rat God by Richard Corben, The Victories by Michael Avon Oeming, and his own comic book series Exurbia and The Devil’s Footprints.

From October 2012 to September 2015 he was editor-in-chief of the publisher before stepping down to become Executive Senior Editor two years ago. This move coincided with accusations made by comic book writer Joe Harris of public sexual assault to Janelle Asselin who reported similar events with others over the years that established a pattern of behaviour. Both Dark Horse and Scott Allie offered apologies, and promised action and I understand Allie underwent related treatment.

But as of today, Bleeding Cool has been told that Scott Allie is now leaving Dark Horse as an employee. He will remain a freelance writer and editor, including working on Dark Horse Comics titles but no longer restricted to them. With other Portland publishers established, including Oni Press, Image Comics, IDW:PX and the CBLDF, there are clearly other opportunities on his doorstep.

Dark Horse may speak more of this, and of their future plans, at New York Comic Con next week.
    Last edited by BAF; 30-09-17 at 05:37 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

betta (30-09-17),Clavus (30-09-17),Stoney (30-09-17)

Thanks

Giles in high school miniseries is alive, 4 issues starting in February: https://www.avclub.com/joss-whedon-t...-gi-1819139424

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (05-10-17),BAF (04-10-17),betta (04-10-17),Stoney (04-10-17)

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 519 Posts

Really glad this series is still alive. But why has it taken this long? Febuary is a long time away.

Is MikeB still gonna insist that season 11 is non canon now that Joss is writing again?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vampire in Rug For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (05-10-17),betta (04-10-17)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

I wanted to tell a story about education, class, and race in America,
    I'll be honest with you, as someone who's not from the US I find those issues completely uninteresting, it's just all so...blah, however I am extremely happy that Joss finally delivers this comic because, you know, you have all those people who're, like, "oh, the comics aren't canon because Whedon doesn't write them anymore" and "uh, Joss doesn't care about the comics". Yeah, those people just got royally BTFO. That said, I will still check it out because...because Buffy, why else?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

betta (04-10-17)

Slayer
    Thanks

I knew something would be coming out of NYCC17 in regards to the Buffy comics.Whether any season 12 news hits,
    we'll see but this is pretty big IMO.

Here is the article posted out.

https://www.avclub.com/joss-whedon-t...-gi-1819139424

Joss Whedon takes Giles back to school in this BTVS: Giles exclusive announcemen

Oliver Sava

Buffy The Vampire Slayer’s Rupert Giles has had one hell of a life. He was a bad boy that went by the name of “Ripper” in his 20s, and later in his adulthood, he helped save the world on multiple occasions as the mentor of Buffy Summers. Then he died, but death isn’t permanent in the Buffyverse. He was resurrected by his friends, and instead of returning to his old self, he was stuck in his pre-pubescent body with his middle-aged mind. Now Giles is a teenager, and it’s time for him to do what teens do: go to high school. Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Giles is a four-issue miniseries debuting on February 28 that enrolls Giles in an inner-city public school to investigate the mysterious disappearance of teachers, and Buffy creator Joss Whedon is teaming up with writer Erika Alexander, artist Jon Lam, and colorist Dan Jackson to explore this new phase in Giles’ life.

BTVS: Giles is also a return to high school for the Buffy franchise, which goes back to its roots with this new series while exploring a very different educational environment. “Sunnydale was, apart from being on a hellmouth, a pretty privileged place,” says Whedon. “Giles has never really dealt with the public school system as it exists for most kids. He’s never been to the city. Giles has always had the advantage of being a part of the system that educated him. He was taught to be a watcher in a family of watchers. His education was, in the grand British public school tradition, both expansive and parochial. In-depth views of tiny portions of the world. Of course, he walked over the awkward hormonal coals of adolescence—but now he knows more, and expects better of himself. His once-more 15-year-old body, however, is oblivious to his wisdom/cynicism/impatience.”

Whedon had a similar background as Giles, with his mother and her friends teaching at his school before he was sent to a 600-year-old British boys’ boarding school. He wanted to look at a different school experience with this new series, and he knew he would need some outside help. “I wanted to tell a story about education, class, and race in America,” says Whedon. “Given my Gilesian resume, I wasn’t about to attempt it alone. Erika is so smart, knowledgeable and engaging, she made the story her own even as we first discussed it. I knew she could reach the characters and their history in a way I couldn’t, yet still give Giles a place in this new (for him) world. She doesn’t disappoint.”

Erika Alexander is best known as an actress, appearing in TV shows like The Cosby Show and Living Single in the ’90s and working consistently ever since. (More recent gigs include series like Beyond and Bosch and a role in this year’s hit film, Get Out). “As a teenager, I grew up working in television so, ironically, I did not get a chance to watch much television,” says Alexander. “But my little sister, Myeashea, who’s a cultural anthropologist, and Whedon-mega-fan, went gaga for the series. When I told her I was working on a Dark Horse collaboration with Joss Whedon, a Rupert Giles spinoff, she went bananas. She told me everything I needed to know and more. I learned about the original Buffy series, but what I discovered was the pride of place it had in the zeitgeist of many young women and their sense of personal empowerment. These issues are very important to me. I knew then that it would be a good fit. And I am thrilled to be asked to be a part of it.”

A new setting means a new cast of characters, and Giles’ experience as a high school librarian gives him a different perspective than other students. “Giles will meet characters he’s familiar with,” says Alexander. “Characters loafing around at any high school: shy girls, bullies, crazy principals, mysterious janitors, loony students posing as a teachers’ aides, as well as a few surprises. But the most important character he’ll meet is himself. A version of himself he thought, hoped, he left long ago, will be there to greet him. And that Giles gives our Giles anxiety.”

“It’s terrific to be carving out a new space in the Buffyverse,” says Alexander. “It’s crazy cool to be entrusted with Joss’ signature series and Giles, a fan favorite. It’s also a little frightening and gives me some anxiety! Of course, I want to impress my publisher and editor, Freddye Miller at Dark Horse and the fantastic fans. But I want Joss to be happy and able to recognize his creation, as rendered, and realized in collaboration with my voice. That’s tricky stuff because Joss is a complex artist, storyteller and filmmaker. He’s also hella busy! He’s building scaffolding in record speed, while I hurry along trying to keep up with the pace of the towers construction and pick out the drapes.”

“Luckily for me, creating and writing my own comic, Concrete Park, with my genius partner, Tony Puryear, is a master class for this kind of high wire act,” says Alexander. “That said, co-writing is tough. Tony is a killer screenwriter and story man, who taught himself to illustrate comics. What you see in Concrete Park is our first time at it. We were proud of it but had problems finding the right publisher. Thankfully, Mike Richardson at Dark Horse, the Clive Davis of indie comics, recognized that we had something and gave us a shot. And now we’re on our 3rd volume, Concrete Park: Rock Steady. Except for our Dark Horse editor, Philip Simone, Tony and I are a two-man band and it made us up our game. It also gave me a front seat, and the responsibility, to have to come through for our creation. If it sucks, we only have ourselves to blame. But if it’s good, we have the world that gave us our personal diplomas in Hard Knocks University, icons like Mike Richardson and Joss Whedon, and my lovely mama to thank for it all.”

Whedon and Alexander’s story comes to life courtesy of artist Jon Lam, who showed a skill for drawing lively, fantastic school settings with his striking issue of Gotham Academy: Second Semester last year. “I feel that the tones for Gotham Academy and Giles have some similarities in that they involve supernatural elements centered around young adults, learning or relearning who they are as people and how they will face new incoming challenges,” says Lam. “That being said, I feel that in Gotham Academy, since there were uniforms, a lot of the character’s costumes were very similar, and in Giles everyone goes to a public school, so the outfits are a lot more personalized, which also adds another layer of challenge in design.

“For Giles, I think this is the first time I’ve been working on characters that have diverse body types,” says Lam. “It’s a new challenge that I’ve been having a lot of fun with. I think it’s also important to represent people of all sizes and backgrounds, especially in such a great universe.”

As a long-time fan of the Buffy franchise, Lam considers BTVS: Giles a dream project, and he’s thrilled to be working with Whedon and Alexander to expand this property. “It’s a huge honor to work with such talent,” says Lam. “It’s been surreal getting to put my stamp on something so great as the Buffyverse. The characters in this universe have inspired my imagination for years and I hope to contribute more designs and art to this fantastic world.”

http://www.cbr.com/joss-whedon-is-wr...-slayer-comic/

Joss Whedon Is Writing A New Buffy The Vampire Slayer Comic

Buffy creator Joss Whedon is co-writing a four-issue miniseries that sends Rupert Giles back to high school.

by Tim Adams

Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon is heading back to the Buffyverse to co-write a four-issue miniseries with Erika Alexander (Concrete Park), artist Jon Lam (Gotham Academy: Second Semester) and colorist Dan Jackson (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11). Titled Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles, the Dark Horse Comics series will star the resurrected and de-aged Rupert Giles as he heads to high school in an inner city to investigate teachers that have mysteriously disappeared.

“Sunnydale was, apart from being on a hellmouth, a pretty privileged place,” Whedon told the AV Club. “Giles has never really dealt with the public school system as it exists for most kids. He’s never been to the city. Giles has always had the advantage of being a part of the system that educated him. He was taught to be a watcher in a family of watchers. His education was, in the grand British public school tradition, both expansive and parochial. In-depth views of tiny portions of the world. Of course, he walked over the awkward hormonal coals of adolescence—but now he knows more, and expects better of himself. His once-more 15-year-old body, however, is oblivious to his wisdom/cynicism/impatience.”

“Giles will meet characters he’s familiar with,” Alexander added. “Characters loafing around at any high school: shy girls, bullies, crazy principals, mysterious janitors, loony students posing as a teachers’ aides, as well as a few surprises. But the most important character he’ll meet is himself. A version of himself he thought, hoped, he left long ago, will be there to greet him. And that Giles gives our Giles anxiety.”

“For Giles, I think this is the first time I’ve been working on characters that have diverse body types,” Lam said. “It’s a new challenge that I’ve been having a lot of fun with. I think it’s also important to represent people of all sizes and backgrounds, especially in such a great universe.”

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles arrives in stores Feb. 28.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

betta (04-10-17),DanSlayer (04-10-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    I'll be honest with you, as someone who's not from the US
    Not that it matters, but I've always thought that you were from the US.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (05-10-17)

Slayer
    Thanks

https://www.newsarama.com/36721-joss...mic-books.html

JOSS WHEDON Returns to BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER - In Comic Books

By Newsarama Staff October 4, 2017

Press Release

Dark Horse and 20th Century Fox are excited to give Scoobies something fresh to munch on with Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles. Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander (Concrete Park) unite to pen the new miniseries, while artist Jon Lam (Gotham Academy, Batgirl) joins the Whedonverse for the first time. Colorist Dan Jackson (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10) brings the story to life. Steve Morris (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11) and Arielle Jovellanos (Fresh Romance) create gorgeous covers and variant covers for the four-issue miniseries.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles finds Rupert Giles returning to high school! But this time—as a grown man living in a teenage body—Giles will be a student instead of a teacher. At an inner-city Los Angeles school, when a mystical influence is detected and teachers start to go missing, Giles enrolls to investigate. What he finds is more than vampires and demons . . . something unusual and frightening is happening here. If Giles can get through one day as a student, he’ll have a chance to find out who, what, and where, but high school is still hell.

The first issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles goes on sale February 28, 2018 and is available for preorder at your local comic shop.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (05-10-17),betta (05-10-17)

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 519 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    however I am extremely happy that Joss finally delivers this comic because, you know, you have all those people who're, like, "oh, the comics aren't canon because Whedon doesn't write them anymore" and "uh, Joss doesn't care about the comics". Yeah, those people just got royally BTFO.
    "Oh, but it's being co-written by Erica Alexander, so it's really (maybe) her fan fiction. Never mind that Joss collaborated with the outline, gave his blessing and may have even written some of the dialogue. Joss didn't personally write enough of the story that satisfies my subjective idea of what canon should be. He didn't craft the entire thing singlehandedly, so I've got room to declare it non-canon. Just like After the Fall, and seasons X, X and X."

You just KNOW this is what people are going to argue.

Never mind that he didn't write every episode of the show(s) either.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vampire in Rug For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (05-10-17),betta (05-10-17)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Since I haven't seen any announcement anywhere, I assume there was no announcement about a possible Season Twelve at the New York Comic-Con. If there isn't any announcement within the last issue of Season 11, I have to wonder if there will even BE a Season Twelve. Surely they would say something by then, about will they/won't they, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skippcomet View Post
    Since I haven't seen any announcement anywhere, I assume there was no announcement about a possible Season Twelve at the New York Comic-Con. If there isn't any announcement within the last issue of Season 11, I have to wonder if there will even BE a Season Twelve. Surely they would say something by then, about will they/won't they, right?

Nope nothing. The fact they're bringing another creative team in for a mini means they won't stop the books anytime soon. It's possible they haven't even had a writers summit for S12 yet, as the Giles story was a concept for S11 and still carries that label. They'll either say something at the end of the month when Buffy wraps or around Christmas when Angel wraps.

There'a slight chance they just let Giles carry February-May 2018 himself but I'd be surprised.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (09-10-17)

Slayer
    Thanks

The Giles announcement probably was the NYCC17 news.As I speculated after the Giles news hit,I now think any season 12 news won't come until next year.The Giles miniseries starts in Feb.The big spring conventions are C2E2 in late March and Wonder Con in early April.Wonder Con would be my bet now for season 12 news.
    Last edited by BAF; 09-10-17 at 05:58 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (09-10-17),Stoney (09-10-17)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Updated covers.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

BAF (12-10-17),Clavus (13-10-17),Stoney (12-10-17)