Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: The Season 11 Thread - Discussion, Speculation and News

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

"It's lit." ~ William "Spike" Pratt. Too soon?

I actually like the big bad a lot! I am, however, a lover of all things camp, trash and B-movie so a press secretary slash cyborg witch is basically my shit. And I don't know, she seems to fit right in with all the other wacky Buffy villains as far as I'm concerned.

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,088 Times in 522 Posts

Well at the start of the season, I figured Angel and Illyria would be chasing someone/something through time, or perhaps following clues like a scavenger hunt, in which case, why can't the road lead to LA? I didnt think they'd be hopping into random time periods centuries past for literally no reason. Like, we still have no in-story reason for this adventure. Angel had a vision of a flower with teeth, so the solution is to visit the Primordial Era?

And if we are just going to gratuitously screw with the timeline with no in-story justification, again, why not visit LA?

In one of the Q&As, the writer said we'd be seein dead characters return (if I'm remembering correctly), which I guess we technically have, with Darla and Angel's dad. But I was expecting to see cameos from dead members of his cast since, y'know, time-travel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    "It's lit." ~ William "Spike" Pratt. Too soon?

I actually like the big bad a lot! I am, however, a lover of all things camp, trash and B-movie so a press secretary slash cyborg witch is basically my shit. And I don't know, she seems to fit right in with all the other wacky Buffy villains as far as I'm concerned.
    I love camp and B-movies as much as the next guy. But the design for this villian is about as lazy as it gets. She's a magic cyborg, so wacky, right? Why not give her laser eyes, adimantium claws and make her a half-vampire/half-werewolf ninja while we are at it? I've got a lot of love for some of the over-the-top characters that came from the 90s, but there still has to be some charm, and Ms Wise has none. She's too ridiculous and goofy to take seriously as a threat, unlike say, Doomsday, and she's too bland to find endearing/entertaining like, say Deadpool.

Camp has its place, but I don't think it works well as the big bad of a season that has spent a year patting itself on the back for being so grown-up and politically relevant. It's generally accepted that Adam was the lamest big bad from the show for much the same reason. He looked ridiculous, his motivation was weak and yet we were still supposed to regard him as a big threat to take seriously.

Until she showed up as the final boss this season, I'd completely forgotten Ms Wise even existed, she was just that unimportant until this point. They should have telegraphed her as the big bad early on instead of building her up to be a mystery, because who really cares? Did anyone react like all "*gasp* it was her all along!" like they did with Angel and Twilight? No. I think Jordan was a more entertaining (and more three dimensional) villian than Ms Wise.

It's pretty obvious Ms. Wise is gonna die a Disney death too. She'll overload her power or get eaten by the dragon or something where it's not really Buffy's fault she died.

I can't help but feel there will be zero payoff for Buffy draining all the Slayers. I kinda need to see Buffy doing something to justify this that she couldn't have been written to do as a "normal" Slayer.
    Last edited by Vampire in Rug; 20-10-17 at 11:17 PM.