Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: The Season 11 Thread - Discussion, Speculation and News

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    The monthly issue yes, this is the TPB - which I'll buy, because I'm not getting the hard copies anymore.

Roux = the girl blue?
    Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you meant the single issues
    Never much cared for picket fences anyway. Bloody dangerous.

Thanks

Corinna has answered the SlayAlive Q & A.

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...715#post125715

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

BAF (01-02-18),Priceless (01-02-18),Stoney (01-02-18)

Thanks

I didn't think her answers were particularly enlightening and she didn't mention seeing Angel's reflection, which for me was the biggest thing that happened in the comics.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,750 Times in 3,213 Posts

Actually, I thought the fact that the word from above was that Angel was going to get a different sense of self awareness/acceptance by the end of the story was significant (I can't remember exactly how she put it). It fits to some of what TriBel was suggesting I think, he emerges seeing his relationships/past and accepting them differently. If there is a further season it will be interesting to see how this changed awareness translates into his actions/choices. I have the whole series ordered in the TPBs finally, but the third isn't out until later in the year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (02-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Actually, I thought the fact that the word from above was that Angel was going to get a different sense of self awareness/acceptance by the end of the story was significant (I can't remember exactly how she put it). It fits to some of what TriBel was suggesting I think, he emerges seeing his relationships/past and accepting them differently. If there is a further season it will be interesting to see how this changed awareness translates into his actions/choices. I have the whole series ordered in the TPBs finally, but the third isn't out until later in the year.
    I just don't think we particularly saw that on the page. Maybe we have to wait till S12 to see some real change. I hope a new relationship with Fred/Illyria isn't the only change we'll see, or I will think S11 really was a waste of time. At another point she says that 'the one thing she was told was that there could be not crossover with any Buffy characters', so I'm not sure how much was given to her from above.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (02-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I just don't think we particularly saw that on the page. Maybe we have to wait till S12 to see some real change. I hope a new relationship with Fred/Illyria isn't the only change we'll see, or I will think S11 really was a waste of time. At another point she says that 'the one thing she was told was that there could be not crossover with any Buffy characters', so I'm not sure how much was given to her from above.
    But it obviously wasn't the only thing that she was told or she couldn't have been told to do the time travel story too.

I'll reserve proper judgement/thoughts on how successfully I think any change and development has been until I've actually read it. But as I stopped reading it originally at issue 2 because I hated the voicing/writing, I wouldn't be surprised if I come out the end of it not feeling like I got what she was aiming for. It's interesting though that it doesn't seem a million miles from what TriBel got from the season. Even if I don't like the execution, I hope I'll at least get a rough sense of what the season was about/achieved. I'm crossing my fingers!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (01-02-18),TriBel (02-02-18)

Thanks

TBH, I don't think we saw anything on the page that we couldn't have seen on a therapist's couch. That said, you'd have problems dragging a session with a therapist out for 12 issues. The fact that she alluded to dreams and mentioned the mind telling itself stories was significant - as was the mention of a shift in perspective (a shift in perspective is what was involved in BtVS S7). It's often phrased as "looking awry" or "the point of anamorphosis". She confirmed Fred's interest and she confirmed a new self awareness for Angel. I don't think I was that far out - and I was doing the analysis, not the story telling. She didn't answer Diane N's question - except to say that it was up to future writers to follow certain threads. Let's be honest - if CB explained it the way I described it to you and Stoney, a) she'd sound mad and b) she'd have given the game away.

Just checked what's been said about it elsewhere. They're disappointed. I could put my ideas forward to them but I'm not!
    Last edited by TriBel; 03-02-18 at 02:17 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

betta (03-02-18),Priceless (02-02-18),Stoney (02-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    TBH, I don't think we saw anything on the page that we couldn't have seen on a therapist's couch. That said, you'd have problems dragging a session with a therapist out for 12 issues. The fact that she alluded to dreams and mentioned the mind telling itself stories was significant - as was the mention of a shift in perspective (a shift in perspective is what was involved in BtVS S7). It's often phrased as "looking awry" or "the point of anamorphosis". She confirmed Fred's interest and she confirmed a new self awareness for Angel. I don't think I was that far out - and I was doing the analysis, not the story telling. She didn't answer Diane N's (DC's) question - except to say that it was up to future writers to follow certain threads. Let's be honest - if CB explained it the way I described it to you and Stoney, a) she'd sound mad and b) she'd have given the game away.

Just checked what's been said about it elsewhere. They're disappointed. I could put my ideas forward to them but I'm not!
    You are the one person who has made sense of S11 for me TriBel. I agree that Angel does have a different perspective and that's very much to do with his father and sister. I would have liked the last issue to have shown us more of that change in action, other then his relationship with Fred/Illyria. I would have also have liked to have seen more of how changing the past has affected the present, but 12 issues just isn't enough to do everything. I wish they would announce a S12 or confirm there won't be one.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (03-02-18),TriBel (03-02-18)

Thanks

You are the one person who has made sense of S11 for me TriBel. I agree that Angel does have a different perspective and that's very much to do with his father and sister. I would have liked the last issue to have shown us more of that change in action, other then his relationship with Fred/Illyria. I would have also have liked to have seen more of how changing the past has affected the present, but 12 issues just isn't enough to do everything. I wish they would announce a S12 or confirm there won't be one.
    If I'm anywhere near right and it has implications for the curse, there's the question of how to develop a feasible story-line to introduce it. I think the recognition that his father saw his potential as a good man was conscious (there's a panel where Angel says Oh! - or something similar) so we might see that change first (less broodiness for instance). LOL! I think he might go off Manilow (I've just googled the lyrics to Mandy (below) - A shadow of a man - isn't that the last panel? I hate google). The curse element - I dunno. Difficult to test the theory organically because of Spuffy. They could have a proper "dream revelation" - an Out of my Mind moment ( See lyrics to Can't live without You) or a Twilight 2 type scenario (set in a night club in Havana with a showgirl called Lola ). Here's a thought - go back to London with Fred. Attend a Ray Davies concert - hear him sing Lola (nice reference to Illyria's indeterminate sexuality). This triggers a reverie taking him through Manilow's back catalogue culminating in an awareness of who "Mandy" was! Sorted! Shall I email Whedon now or later?

I remember all my life
    Raining down as cold as ice
    A shadow of a man
    A face through a window
    Crying in the night
    The night goes into
    Morning, just another day
    Happy people pass my way
    Looking in their eyes
    I see a memory
    I never realized
    How happy you made me
    , oh Mandy
    Last edited by TriBel; 03-02-18 at 11:12 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-02-18),Stoney (03-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    If I'm anywhere near right and it has implications for the curse, there's the question of how to develop a feasible story-line to introduce it. I think the recognition that his father saw his potential as a good man was conscious (there's a panel where Angel says Oh! - or something similar) so we might see that change first (less broodiness for instance). LOL! I think he might go off Manilow (I've just googled the lyrics to Mandy (below) - A shadow of a man - isn't that the last panel? I hate google). The curse element - I dunno. Difficult to test the theory organically because of Spuffy. They could have a proper "dream revelation" - an Out of my Mind moment ( See lyrics to Can't live without You) or a Twilight 2 type scenario (set in a night club in Havana with a showgirl called Lola ). Here's a thought - go back to London with Fred. Attend a Ray Davies concert - hear him sing Lola (nice reference to Illyria's indeterminate sexuality). This triggers a reverie taking him through Manilow's back catalogue culminating in an awareness of who "Mandy" was! Sorted! Shall I email Whedon now or later?

I remember all my life
    Raining down as cold as ice
    A shadow of a man
    A face through a window
    Crying in the night
    The night goes into
    Morning, just another day
    Happy people pass my way
    Looking in their eyes
    I see a memory
    I never realized
    How happy you made me
    , oh Mandy
    Google is our friend TriBel, but you have to treat it gently I like some of your ideas, but not sure they translate well in comic book form

I would love a scene were Manilow comes on the radio and Angel turns it off with a 'No more of that . . . ' line I love some I also think the less broodiness could be shown through his relationship with Illyria/Fred, and that he would find happiness with them, and perhaps they would comment on the changes in him. Of course they could decide to bring all the characters together under one title and the lifting of the curse could be tested, though it would break my Spuffy heart and Angel would have to dust straight after

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (03-02-18)

Thanks

Google is our friend TriBel, but you have to treat it gently I like some of your ideas, but not sure they translate well in comic book form

I would love a scene were Manilow comes on the radio and Angel turns it off with a 'No more of that . . . ' line I love some I also think the less broodiness could be shown through his relationship with Illyria/Fred, and that he would find happiness with them, and perhaps they would comment on the changes in him. Of course they could decide to bring all the characters together under one title and the lifting of the curse could be tested, though it would break my Spuffy heart and Angel would have to dust straight after
    And I'm refusing to reply to that post on the grounds there's mention of Manilow but no reference to The Kinks. Indulge me - at the very least, you could have Angel/Fred walking off into a Waterloo Sunset! Get the timing right and it could solve the dust problem.

Hmmm...on reflection (LOL) I think your scripts are more likely to come in on budget than mine. I'm thinking BIG!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-02-18)

Thanks

I wish they would announce a S12 or confirm there won't be one.
    Joss met with Gage a few months ago for confirmed "comic thing" though they didn't say for what; it seems obvious. Corinna basically said the follow up is up to the next writer which is what Victor said at the end of S10. We have the story around Giles confirmed for February, March, April and May. Another month break would potentially put S12 right in line with SDCC in July.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanSlayer View Post
    Joss met with Gage a few months ago for confirmed "comic thing" though they didn't say for what; it seems obvious. Corinna basically said the follow up is up to the next writer which is what Victor said at the end of S10. We have the story around Giles confirmed for February, March, April and May. Another month break would potentially put S12 right in line with SDCC in July.
    Do you think there will be two titles, Buffy and Angel, or is it possible they will be amalgamated? Or perhaps Angel will guest start in Buffy, perhaps with his own 4-parter similar to the Giles title. I really cannot see must mileage left in Angel for a full season arc.

Thanks

Do you think there will be two titles, Buffy and Angel, or is it possible they will be amalgamated? Or perhaps Angel will guest start in Buffy, perhaps with his own 4-parter similar to the Giles title. I really cannot see must mileage left in Angel for a full season arc.
    Not sure. The reception to the past two Angel books has been mixed at best and they poached the writer & artist from the one most people liked over to the main Buffy title. They still seem stubbornly stuck in the 90's when it comes to lack of crossovers or having anything in Angel's world effect Buffy's. From a pure money perspective two books are better then one; perhaps there's some kind of contract thing that keeps them having to stick with "Angel" on something alongside Buffy after they lost him when the comics started. Pearl, Nadira, Amy etc could all be loose ends but without Faith most of them wouldn't work. And none are really strong enough for a season's arc.

Gage has already said the Buffy cast pushes page time to the maximum already. Of Angel's show cast only Gunn & Connor could be pulled in. Add in Faith, Fred/Illyria and it's a solid cast; but that would involve either moving Angel to California again which they probably don't want, or coming up with a reason for Gunn and Connor to go to the UK. I doubt they'd start S12 with a giant cast mix-up and considering how both S11 books had happy endings, I don't think Giles will end on a major cliffhanger or anything. (Although there's maybe like a 10% chance Gunn and/or Connor cameo in the mini given where it is).

I'd bet on another full Angel book but about what/written by whom I don't know. Perhaps a Faith or Fred/Illyria mini somewhere. They still haven't told Spike that Fred/Illyria are back.
    Last edited by DanSlayer; 03-02-18 at 09:23 PM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-02-18),TriBel (03-02-18)

Thanks

@ Priceless - going back to Mandy (really). From Amanda, meaning "worthy of being loved". Also Mandy is a unisex name. It raises the question of who is subject/object of this love.

Google is our friend TriBel, but you have to treat it gently
    Me and Google are back on speaking terms.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-02-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 863 Posts

Preview pages for Buffy S11 Giles # 1.

https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-giles-1/

EXCLUSIVE: The Teacher Becomes the Student in Giles #1

CBR Staff CBR Exclusives

Rupert Giles returns to high school, but as a student instead of a teacher! Dark Horse Comics' Giles #1 by Joss Whedon, Erika Alexander & Jon Lam

Watcher and former mentor to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He died and was resurrected as a pre-teen child. Now Rupert Giles steps into the spotlight to face his greatest challenge: High School!

When teachers start to go missing at an inner-city Los Angeles high school, potentially by mystical influences, Giles takes it upon himself to investigate. Not as teacher, but as a student!

CBR has your exclusive first look at Dark Horse Comics’ Giles #1, written by Joss Whedon & Erika Alexander, with art by Jon Lam. In stores February 28th, 2018.

GILES #1

•Joss Whedon & Erika Alexander (w) • Jon Lam (a)
    •Cover: Steve Morris

•From Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander comes a series that returns Buffy’s Rupert Giles to high school! But this time–as a grown man living in a teenage body–Giles will be a student instead of a teacher. At an inner-city LA-area school, when a mystical influence is detected and teachers start to go missing, Giles enrolls to investigate. What he finds is more than vampires and demons; something unusual and frightening is happening here. If Giles can get through one day as a student, he’ll have a chance to find out who, what, and where–but high school is still hell, y’all.

•In Shops: February 28th, 2018
    •SRP: $3.99

Spoiler:

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-02-18),Stoney (06-02-18)

Thanks

4 and a half hours earlier huh? We're missing the opening pages. Roux's either evil or forced to work with it then...

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 863 Posts

Covers and solicitation for Buffy S11:Giles #4.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...overs-giles-4/

Exclusive First Look at Covers for Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #4

Posted by Dan Wickline February 13, 2018

Dark Horse has sent us an exclusive first look at the cover and variant cover for Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #4, the final issue of the miniseries written by Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander with art by Jon Lam. The cover is by Steve Morris while the variant is by Arielle Jovellanos.

The series has the de-aged Giles enrolling in a public school to investigate why teachers are mysteriously disappearing. Harkening back to the series original roots as a show set in a high school, Giles explores a very different school system from what he was used to at Sunnydale High. And while there he has discovered a mysterious girl named Roux and a demon under the school… definitely public school. Final issue of the miniseries.

Spoiler:
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #4 (of 4)

Joss Whedon (W), Erika Alexander (W), Jon Lam (A), Dan Jackson (C), Steve Morris (Cover), Arielle Jovellanos (Variant cover)

On sale May 16 FC, 32 pages $3.99 Miniseries

Teen-aged Rupert Giles made his return to high school and in the process uncovered a demon underneath the school, and a very-attractive-yet-mysterious girl, Roux. As he prepares for the final showdown with the demon, Giles is troubled by revelations about Roux, and her extracurricular activities that aren’t the most savory.

. .
    Last edited by BAF; 15-02-18 at 07:16 AM.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

DanSlayer (14-02-18),Priceless (14-02-18),Stoney (15-02-18)

Thanks

We knew from the preview Roux was into something shady with the demon but a vamp? Not sure how I feel about that if the cover is literal.

Thanks

I've don't remember seeing anything official announcing it but the TPB for the Giles series, 'Girl Blue', is available for preordering on Amazon, out Sept 18th.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

BAF (16-02-18),Priceless (15-02-18)