Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: The Season 11 Thread - Discussion, Speculation and News

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

"It's lit." ~ William "Spike" Pratt. Too soon?

I actually like the big bad a lot! I am, however, a lover of all things camp, trash and B-movie so a press secretary slash cyborg witch is basically my shit. And I don't know, she seems to fit right in with all the other wacky Buffy villains as far as I'm concerned.

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 530 Posts

Well at the start of the season, I figured Angel and Illyria would be chasing someone/something through time, or perhaps following clues like a scavenger hunt, in which case, why can't the road lead to LA? I didnt think they'd be hopping into random time periods centuries past for literally no reason. Like, we still have no in-story reason for this adventure. Angel had a vision of a flower with teeth, so the solution is to visit the Primordial Era?

And if we are just going to gratuitously screw with the timeline with no in-story justification, again, why not visit LA?

In one of the Q&As, the writer said we'd be seein dead characters return (if I'm remembering correctly), which I guess we technically have, with Darla and Angel's dad. But I was expecting to see cameos from dead members of his cast since, y'know, time-travel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    "It's lit." ~ William "Spike" Pratt. Too soon?

I actually like the big bad a lot! I am, however, a lover of all things camp, trash and B-movie so a press secretary slash cyborg witch is basically my shit. And I don't know, she seems to fit right in with all the other wacky Buffy villains as far as I'm concerned.
    I love camp and B-movies as much as the next guy. But the design for this villian is about as lazy as it gets. She's a magic cyborg, so wacky, right? Why not give her laser eyes, adimantium claws and make her a half-vampire/half-werewolf ninja while we are at it? I've got a lot of love for some of the over-the-top characters that came from the 90s, but there still has to be some charm, and Ms Wise has none. She's too ridiculous and goofy to take seriously as a threat, unlike say, Doomsday, and she's too bland to find endearing/entertaining like, say Deadpool.

Camp has its place, but I don't think it works well as the big bad of a season that has spent a year patting itself on the back for being so grown-up and politically relevant. It's generally accepted that Adam was the lamest big bad from the show for much the same reason. He looked ridiculous, his motivation was weak and yet we were still supposed to regard him as a big threat to take seriously.

Until she showed up as the final boss this season, I'd completely forgotten Ms Wise even existed, she was just that unimportant until this point. They should have telegraphed her as the big bad early on instead of building her up to be a mystery, because who really cares? Did anyone react like all "*gasp* it was her all along!" like they did with Angel and Twilight? No. I think Jordan was a more entertaining (and more three dimensional) villian than Ms Wise.

It's pretty obvious Ms. Wise is gonna die a Disney death too. She'll overload her power or get eaten by the dragon or something where it's not really Buffy's fault she died.

I can't help but feel there will be zero payoff for Buffy draining all the Slayers. I kinda need to see Buffy doing something to justify this that she couldn't have been written to do as a "normal" Slayer.
    Last edited by Vampire in Rug; 21-10-17 at 12:17 AM.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 837 Posts

First look at Season 11 Giles miniseries.

https://www.cbr.com/buffy-the-vampir...es-first-look/

Spoiler:
    Giles Heads To School in Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles First Look

Check out the first look at John Lam and Dan Jackson's art for the Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander co-scripted series

by Stephen Gerding

CBR has the exclusive first look at art from the upcoming Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles by artist Jon Lam (Gotham Academy: Second Semester) and colorist Dan Jackson (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11). The four-issue Dark Horse Comics miniseries, scripted by Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander (Concrete Park), kicks off Feb. 28

“Sunnydale was, apart from being on a hellmouth, a pretty privileged place,” Whedon said when the miniseries was first announced. “Giles has never really dealt with the public school system as it exists for most kids. He’s never been to the city. Giles has always had the advantage of being a part of the system that educated him. He was taught to be a watcher in a family of watchers. His education was, in the grand British public school tradition, both expansive and parochial. In-depth views of tiny portions of the world. Of course, he walked over the awkward hormonal coals of adolescence—but now he knows more, and expects better of himself. His once-more 15-year-old body, however, is oblivious to his wisdom/cynicism/impatience.”

“Giles will meet characters he’s familiar with,” Alexander added. “Characters loafing around at any high school: shy girls, bullies, crazy principals, mysterious janitors, loony students posing as a teachers’ aides, as well as a few surprises. But the most important character he’ll meet is himself. A version of himself he thought, hoped, he left long ago, will be there to greet him. And that Giles gives our Giles anxiety.”

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles arrives in stores Feb. 28.
    Last edited by BAF; 13-11-17 at 09:55 PM.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (13-11-17),American Aurora (15-11-17),betta (16-11-17),Clavus (14-11-17),MikeB (15-11-17),Silver1 (14-11-17),Stoney (13-11-17),TimeTravellingBunny (14-11-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,513 Posts

I'm really going to love to see how they might try to coherently justify Giles ever considering it "wrong" to date while in school without retroactively throwing vampire romance under the bus. I mean, at least G-man is alive

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    I'm really going to love to see how they might try to coherently justify Giles ever considering it "wrong" to date while in school without retroactively throwing vampire romance under the bus. I mean, at least G-man is alive
    I wonder if you support Roy Moore for the United States Senate...

Angel first saw Buffy and fell in love with her when she was perhaps 14-years-old. Angel first starting dating Buffy and kissing her when she was 16-years-old. It seems Angel FIRST brings up the subject of sex when Buffy is going to turn 17-years-old. Before Buffy turned 17-years-old, Buffy/Angel at-most were 'making out'; there is zero indication that they before the end of "Surprise" (B 2.13) ever moved beyond 'first base'.

While Spike was probably sexually attracted to Buffy since "School Hard" (B 2.03), he doesn't even own to being in love with her until the end of "Out of My Mind" (B 5.04) when Buffy is a sophomore in college and 19-years-old. Spike doesn't first move to make Buffy/Spike 'physical' until "Fool For Love" (B 5.07).

On a wider note, men 'being with' 'underage' girls was not common outside of royalty and the nobility. It was mostly regarding trying to ensure heirs (have issue) and the family line and with that largely because of the death rates for children and the death rates during child birth. Someone like Liam and someone like Giles would have not grown up considering it was okay to have sex with 'underage' girls.

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Angel first saw Buffy and fell in love with her when she was perhaps 14-years-old.
    Yeah, and the show absolutely portrays it as creepy, in "Becoming". It's that one thing Buffy/Angel shippers can't wank away no matter how much they try. That one scene, you know which one - Buffy walking out of school, Angel in a car etc. It shows that Angel fell in love with a kid! Buffy's a kid, OK? She acts like a kid. She looks like a kid, like, look at her:

I think they even bandaged Sarah's chest to, like, hide her boobs! It's crazy. And Angel! Angel looks like a total creep:

Make no mistake, it's totally intentional and they knew what they were doing!
    Last edited by a thing of evil; 16-11-17 at 01:28 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

betta (16-11-17)

Slayer
    Thanks

Angel Season 11 # 11 preview pages.

https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/300...l-Season-11-11

Spoiler:

- - - Updated - - -

DARK HORSE COMICS February 2018 Solicitations

https://www.newsarama.com/37424-dark...citations.html

Spoiler:
    Joss Whedon! Erika Alexander!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Giles #1 (of 4)

Joss Whedon (W), Erika Alexander (W), Jon Lam (A), Dan Jackson (C), Steve Morris (Cover), Arielle Jovellanos (Variant cover), and Jenny Frison (Ultra variant)

On sale Feb 28
    FC, 32 pages
    $3.99
    Miniseries

From Joss Whedon and Erika Alexander comes a series that returns Buffy’s Rupert Giles to high school! But this time—as a grown man living in a teenage body—Giles will be a student instead of a teacher. At an inner-city LA-area school, when a mystical influence is detected and teachers start to go missing, Giles enrolls to investigate. What he finds is more than vampires and demons; something unusual and frightening is happening here. If Giles can get through one day as a student, he’ll have a chance to find out who, what, and where—but high school is still hell, y’all.

Angel Season 11 Volume 3: Dark Reflections TPB

Corinna Bechko (W), Geraldo Borges (A), Michelle Madsen (C), and Scott Fischer (Cover)

On sale Apr 4
    FC, 112 pages
    $17.99
    TPB, 7" x 10"

On a time-traveling mission to prevent an impending disaster, Joss Whedon’s ensouled vampire is confronted by the opportunity to challenge his very existence in the concluding arc of Season 11. Will his companions be able to convince him that changing the past is not, after all, the solution to the future? Or will Angel finally find the key in the past to the shadow over his present? Collects Season 11 #9–#12.

“They have created a satisfying adventure for Buffy and Angel fans to get behind, but also a solid comic for comic book fans in general to enjoy.”—Comic Crusaders

ETA

The third cover is for another book so I removed it.

- - - Updated - - -

More Angel Season 11 # 11 preview pages.

https://horrorpatch.com/2017/11/14/c...11-11-preview/

Spoiler:

Last edited by BAF; 18-11-17 at 12:14 AM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (17-11-17),American Aurora (17-11-17),Clavus (18-11-17),Silver1 (17-11-17),Stoney (17-11-17)

Slayer
    Thanks

Here's the final correct Giles # 1 variant.

https://www.cbr.com/dark-horse-comic...solicitations/

Spoiler:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (Today),Silver1 (Yesterday)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Giles went from

to