Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffy # 29 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,102 Posts

Default Buffy # 29 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

First advanced review for Buffy # 29.The issue is out on Wed.I'll post my issue 28 thoughts with issue 29 when it comes out this week and I get my copy.

http://brutalgamer.com/2016/07/14/bu...-comic-review/

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #29 (Comics) Review

Mark Sammut

Dark Horse Comics return with the penultimate issue of Buffy The Vampire Slayer’s Season 10. Following the strongest season since the TV show ended, will fans get a bang or a whimper?

It is kind of hard to believe, but this version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been around for almost 20 years. If one were to take the comics as canon, which the numbered seasons are, then these characters have been evolving in front of our very eyes for nearly two decades.

Since the time span within the universe of the TV show is about 1:1, then it has to be assumed that Buffy and Co. are approaching 30 (at least) in the comics. The biggest challenge faced by the creators is to effectively transition these loveable heroes into maturity while maintaining the charm of their slightly adolescent style of dialogue. Wit, no matter how hilarious, should not be the same at age 15 and 30.

Yes, the bad guys are right there. Easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats.

Christos Cage’s script is as faced past and engaging as always but it does seem like there is no new ground left for the gang to thread. Even the title card, Taking Down the Big Bad, fails to hide that this merely another situation of finding someone for Buffy and Spike to hit.

With the Vampyr book in his grasp, Vengeance Demon D’Hoffyrn aims to remove the limitations that govern his boundless power (that humans must wish for something) and sets his sight on taking over the world. Accompanied by evil NOT Anya, a final large scale battle between the Scoobies and D’Hoffyrn has begun.

Huge ending aside, the plot (and the whole current arc) struggles to justify it’s existence all that much. Even interesting recent developments (like Dawn and Xander’s road trip through dimensions) did not amount to much more than filler. D’Hoffyrn, a storied character within the Buffyverse, is reduced to a Big Bad with only hints of depth.

Saying that, the climax does suggest that the status quo will NOT be returned too. This would not be the first time that a potential shake-up ends up being nothing more than a detour but, maybe, Season 11 will bring new beginnings.

Where the plot whimpers, the humor bangs. Cage’s script sparkles with a hilarious opening scene that left me smiling for all of its pages. The banter between the opposing armies does not fail to entertain, either, despite certain characters bluntly restating their character development for about the fourth time in as many issues. Angst tends to be heavy within the Buffyverse, but as long as it leads to actual maturity, I am more than willing to stick by it.

ConsistencyBuffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 #29 Comic Review

Rebekah Isaacs masterfully handles the art, again, for issue 29. At this point, the biggest compliment I can give her is that these drawings, in my mind, represent Buffy Summers and Co. as much as Sarah Michelle Gellar and the rest of the cast. Isaacs art might not be particularly flashy but she maintains a high quality throughout the issue. The attention to detail given to faces is also quite spectacular.

Paint By Numbers and, then, Not.

Plot - 55%

Art - 80%

Potential - 80%

72%
    Safe

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a stable franchise. Issue 29 offers more of what is expected while suggesting that change is coming.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,796 Times in 2,264 Posts

Sigh. No, the time in the comics and in real life is not 1:1. No, the characters are not approaching 30. No, characters don't wait a month to finish one conversation.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Lostsoul666 (18-08-19)

Thanks

They've entered into comic book time -- that strange realm where Batman can remain in his youthful prime even as his kid sidekicks mature into adulthood. I think the characters are around 26, even though they make modern pop culture references.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PuckRobin For This Useful Post:

betta (19-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,860 Times in 569 Posts

Time Travelling Bunny:

Sigh. No, the time in the comics and in real life is not 1:1. No, the characters are not approaching 30. No, characters don't wait a month to finish one conversation.
    Yes, agreed. I thought that Whedon said somewhere that Buffy Season Eight occurs a year and a half after the end of Buffy Season Seven - I assume that Angel: After the Fall events that are canonical occur during that time period.

If we assume that one year goes by (and I'm not certain we can) between comic seasons, then Buffy and the gang would be around 25-26 years old as PuckRobin says.

And yet, the references are contemporary - not in 2007 - so it is in crazy comic book time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to American Aurora For This Useful Post:

betta (19-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,565 Posts

But the reviewer is reading something written by Christos Cage, so perhaps it is AU?? Who doesn't check they have the name of the bloomin' writer correct? I agree the scoobs are supposed to be mid twenties.

I'm still wondering if the A&F gang are going to appear and some reshuffle happen. It just seems so iffy that they haven't said anything about a S11 for A&F and it finished early. Well we'll see. I'd like a main title and a series of minis that pull out from it to follow different characters/plots and that be how they manage the large number of characters. But, that said, I can't see how Angel can fit into BtVS without his own title anymore really.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,921 Times in 1,848 Posts

Look forward to finding out what the big thing is. Sounds resetty? Resettish? Reset-adjacent? Hmmm.

Yeah, pretty tired of people not getting comic book time. Really, total elapsed time since "Chosen" in the comic books has probably been... 4-5 years, tops. Measuring time in a comic book story never has and never will have anything to do with what kind of phones people are depicted as carrying.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks

KingofCretins:

Look forward to finding out what the big thing is. Sounds resetty? Resettish? Reset-adjacent? Hmmm.
    Huh - I wonder what it is? Writing in the book that Season Ten never happened? Or the whole comic universe? Or is that too much?

Maybe Spike getting those new vamp powers? Or Anya being more than just not Anya? Or maybe even something to do with bringing Giles back to adulthood?

And what about Angel - maybe he and Faith will join the gang and change the dynamic? Some kind of proof that immortals can change? Or will Dru show up again?

We'll see...

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

No offense to Stoney, but since she's the one who brought it up, I honestly don't understand the obsession some people have about speculating whether Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel (and Faith) are going to reshuffle/redistribute their casts. Ever since the split into two shows in '99, the producers/editors/whoever's in charge have been very clear that one group of characters are part of the BtVS cast, one group of characters are part of the A&F cast, only a select handful of characters will ever make crossover/guest appearances in the other show/comic, and the rest never will. Spike joining the cast of Angel in its fifth season was a special case because the WB made it a specific requirement that a Buffy cast member join the show for there to even be a fifth season.

If for no other reason, a cast reshuffle in-story/in-universe makes no sense, because the casts are living not in just two different towns, but two different countries. The idea that a random sampling of Buffy cast-members will pull up stakes from San Francisco, travel across the North American continent and the Atlantic Ocean, and move to London while a random sampling of A&F cast-members simultaneously decide to pull up stakes from London, traverse the entire Atlantic Ocean and the North American continent just to move to San Francisco, all so they can join a cast of characters most of whom actually have never met let alone interacted with one another, just boggles the mind, in my opinion.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skippcomet For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-07-16),betta (19-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,565 Posts

Ha, mind boggling ideas are always comical to pull apart and throw around a bit. And it isn't an obsession for me, honest. Peanut butter on toast, now that probably counts as an obsession... mmmm.

In actual fact Faith, Giles, Spike, Willow, Koh, Illyria could all easily be in either title for a chunk of time despite 'belonging' clearly in one. And I do think they are 'better' in their respective original titles too in the main, possibly with the exception of Koh, who does seem to 'fit' in A&F better.

It wasn't that I was suggesting that they would or should all end up in the one title. I have concluded when musing it that Angel is quite simply his own titular character now and as such isn't ever likely to go fully under Buffy's heading again. But the comic sales have continued to decrease and I thought that it may mean that DH are going to rejig the format of the season somehow. I don't really read comics widely enough to have great ideas of how they could do that though so it might just not work without downgrading Angel's story too much. But it has just seemed like such a loud silence on the A&F front for S11 despite having said that BtVS will start again around October. That has just made me wonder if 1) the A&F gang would have been called across to help in the battle which would fit everyone pulling together and be a repeat of Angel's assistance earlier in the season and 2) it that would then give DH the opportunity to restructure somehow, but not necessarily in character deployment so much as title structurings. The use of W&H in the BtVS title this season too seemed like a potential set up for a cross title big bad again for S11 as well.

Huh, I probably didn't make any more sense that time around either.

EDIT: I've just linked to an article on the news thread about S11 (here).
    Last edited by Stoney; 19-07-16 at 04:55 PM.

Slayer
    Thanks

Time for my grand entrance. Does this sound like a way to either sneak back into the Twilight timeline or shall we say the Fray future?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DorothyFan1 View Post
    Time for my grand entrance. Does this sound like a way to either sneak back into the Twilight timeline or shall we say the Fray future?
    Spoiler:
    I think it's something about the book and the New Rules, according to the article Stoney posted.

"This one kicks off Season 11, and it’s not quite world-ending — more world-changing. It’s the way the world changes that will provide new challenges for Buffy and the Scoobies, of a kind they’ve never faced before."

I've already read #29. I'm still shocked.
    Last edited by betta; 19-07-16 at 06:12 PM.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    Spoiler:
    I think it's something about the book and the New Rules, according to the article Stoney posted.

"This one kicks off Season 11, and it’s not quite world-ending — more world-changing. It’s the way the world changes that will provide new challenges for Buffy and the Scoobies, of a kind they’ve never faced before."

I've already read #29. I'm still shocked.
    Want to spoil us a little?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Want to spoil us a little?
    Sure.

Spoiler:
    Xander is killed by fake Anyanka

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

BAF (19-07-16),Sosa lola (19-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    Sure.

Spoiler:
    Xander is killed by fake Anyanka

OMG!!!!! That's huge!!!
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Arbiter of Canon Vampire in Rug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 641 Posts

Is the issue out yet on the Dark Horse digital store? All I see is a spinning wheel where the price should normally be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
    Is the issue out yet on the Dark Horse digital store? All I see is a spinning wheel where the price should normally be.
    Soon after midnight here, it was available at the DH APP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    OMG!!!!! That's huge!!!
    Yes, it is. But I want to believe that it's a ruse, or that it will be reversed - then the consequences we'll see in S11.

Slayer
    Thanks

It's got to be a ruse as I can't imagine DH making that stick long term.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,796 Times in 2,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    It's got to be a ruse as I can't imagine DH making that stick long term.
    Well, the end of season 8 was the last time they seemed to do something really huge and bold, and we know how much that stuck..
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 19-07-16 at 08:09 PM.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Slayer
    Thanks

It can't stick because they know more readers are invested in the live action characters then any old DH OC.

Thanks

Wow - that's an interesting twist. Won't stick at all, I think.

Crazy cliffhangers always happen in penultimate episodes/issues - only to reveal that things aren't what they seem.

Since there's one issue left and a magical book that can do just about anything when someone writes in it, I assume that we're going to get a correction of some kind. Even if it's to negate the nature of the book itself by writing something in it that ends its own power or takes out the next person who tries to use it. Magical wishes always have some kind of catch like that.

Maybe a wholesale rebooting of everything.
    Last edited by American Aurora; 19-07-16 at 08:19 PM.