Thread: Angel & Faith # 25 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,102 Posts

Default Angel & Faith # 25 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Tomorrow the finale issue of Angel & Faith for season 10 comes out.

Also Slayalive will be doing a Q/A with Victor Gischler.

- - Updated - - -

The Victor Gischler Q/A has started.

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...415#post123415

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (08-04-16),Stoney (06-04-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,441 Times in 5,578 Posts

I've just done a really quick read and was pretty underwhelmed. There was no cost, even if they say there was, and that was pretty unbelievable and just weak for me, really weak. I like the A&F team that has pulled together (although I'm still not keen at all in Fred's death being undone) and I do think the title still has potential, but this all felt way too easy for me and made the season end a pretty dull one. I really did sigh without any note of amusement when we were presented with Dru's back as she ran away.

There was nothing in there to explain or hint at a crossover for the final BtVS arc and no mention still of another season for A&F either.
    Last edited by Stoney; 06-04-16 at 04:50 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

betta (07-04-16),cil_domney (08-04-16),HardlyThere (06-04-16)

Thanks

I am pretty much in total agreement, Stoney. I really enjoyed Koh at the end, though – "Perhaps your patty gets dropped on the floor," and "Explain to me mayonnaise."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimothyschma For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (08-04-16),Stoney (06-04-16)

Thanks

One of Angel's biggest crimes is what he had done to Drusilla, her family, and the convent she wanted to join. Drusilla hasn't been a world-ending danger since BtVS S2.

Anyway, the ultimate consequences of Angel's BtVS S8 actions is that he is vastly rewarded. He now apparently has Nadira, Illyria/Faith, Eldre Koh, the Fairweather sisters, and Faith all as members of Team Angel.

The people of Magic Town literally risk their lives for Angel and probably don't even know or care that Angel's mostly responsible for Magic Town.

Archaeus is defeated by Magic Town.

Eldre Koh literally scarred Buffy. Eldre Koh somehow decides he's going to be a subordinate of Angel's.

Buffy lost her Slayer Organization. Spike lost his spaceship and his Kingship. Willow is less powerful than she was in BtVS S8. Angel is rewarded.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeB For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (08-04-16)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 823 Posts

Haven't read it but Fred is back? Like back back or the whole split personality thing?

Literally nothing at all happened in A&F S10.

Thanks

I think it is supposed to be that her and Illyria are sharing the same body but are separate. When Illyria was caught in the explosion of the new seed in the deeper well I think it basically 'reset' her which meant that when Illyria's form was returned (I assume in an 'old ones aren't that easy to kill' way) it included Fred in there again too. Angel inexplicably found Fred wandering the streets of London and they soon discovered that Illyria was still in there too. Illyria for reasons that I don't think were ever really justified is all uncertain and keeps out of the way most of the time, letting Fred steer the ship, unless she feels they are being threatened and then she takes over. Reese Zane, the pharmaceutical woman, was supposed to be researching their cohabitation after doing some tests on Fred soon after she showed up. I may be misremembering some pertinent details but that is it I think.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (08-04-16)

Slayer
    Thanks

Oh, I know all that. 25 is the only one I haven't read. I thought they were separated in the last issue or something.

So yeah, nothing at all happens in S10.

Thanks

No, Illyria just emerged when the new magic in his statue suit attacked her and Koh calmed her back down again to go back into her unlikely-for-the-character hiding preference thing again. Nothing changed there, she didn't come back out.

I think the 'family' thing, rather than just a team vibe, was supposed to be an attitude change for Angel and Faith was supposed to have decided she wanted to be there for herself, or something like that. Koh joined the A&F team in S10, that changed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I think it is supposed to be that her and Illyria are sharing the same body but are separate. When Illyria was caught in the explosion of the new seed in the deeper well I think it basically 'reset' her which meant that when Illyria's form was returned (I assume in an 'old ones aren't that easy to kill' way) it included Fred in there again too. Angel inexplicably found Fred wandering the streets of London and they soon discovered that Illyria was still in there too. Illyria for reasons that I don't think were ever really justified is all uncertain and keeps out of the way most of the time, letting Fred steer the ship, unless she feels they are being threatened and then she takes over. Reese Zane, the pharmaceutical woman, was supposed to be researching their cohabitation after doing some tests on Fred soon after she showed up. I may be misremembering some pertinent details but that is it I think.
    I'm wondering if this story element will pick up in the next season - I hate to say it because since I have zero gifts for writing and totally not qualified to put myself out as a judge on writers - but the premise that this truly awesome God Like Illyria would be subjugated by human Fred - and Illyria is still kick ass world strong - It just comes across as a plot device in support of bringing back Fred. It's such, IMO, a weak story element that brings me only disappointment. Over all, I was pretty much disappointed with just about all the season. But the artwork and art covers were nothing but Outstanding from start to finish.
    Last edited by cil_domney; 15-04-16 at 05:47 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

Stoney (08-04-16)

Slayer
    Thanks

Victor Gischler's full Slayalive Q/A for Angel & Faith # 25 is up.

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...ason-10-Finale
    Last edited by BAF; 08-04-16 at 07:40 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (15-04-16)

Thanks

It sounds very much in his Q&A answers like Victor doesn't expect to be writing the next season. Has there been any confirmation on that does anyone know?

Re: the response to the Zane security guards' shootout. I just can't see managing to bribe to get a 'security permit' for guns in the UK as a viable explanation at all, big corporation or not. Perhaps it is naive of me, but I think that it just shows a complete lack of understanding to how little gun presence there is over here and how tight the restrictions are on who can carry them, when, where and why. I'll have to put it down to verse specific variations on that one personally.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (15-04-16)

Slayer
    Thanks

It sounds very much in his Q&A answers like Victor doesn't expect to be writing the next season. Has there been any confirmation on that does anyone know?
    I don't think he was at the season 11 writer's summit which I took as the first hint he wasn't writing for season 11.

https://twitter.com/Christosgage/sta...34284102701056

Thanks

True enough. With there having been no mention of A&F S11 at any point yet I suppose I had just assumed there was going to be a shake up with the titles instead and didn't dwell on Victor not being there. I wonder if the delay in announcing it when they have for BtVS has to do with confirming a writer, assuming that it isn't Chambliss (please no!) etc above.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (15-04-16)

Slayer
    Thanks

True enough. With there having been no mention of A&F S11 at any point yet I suppose I had just assumed there was going to be a shake up with the titles instead and didn't dwell on Victor not being there. I wonder if the delay in announcing it when they have for BtVS has to do with confirming a writer, assuming that it isn't Chambliss (please no!) etc above.
    I don't think they want to announce any season 11 title or titles and who's writing/doing art until season 10 is completely finished or very nearly finished.They didn't announce the season 10 titles until season 9 was completely done.Maybe they are saving any big announcments for SDCC in late July(July 21–24).Buffy # 30 comes out in mid August and season 11 is supposed to start in October so Comic Con may be when they announce what title or titles make up season 11,the creative teams and length of the season.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (15-04-16),Stoney (08-04-16)

Slayer
    Thanks

Finally got around to reading it. It was... not good. They really need to leave Dru out of things from here on out. Her getting away is ridiculous. They aren't going to kill her and they've used up their quota for redeeming vamps, IMO.

I'll go ahead and agree with MikeB on the slurping of Angel's character. The whole of magic town are Team Angel and Faith? Really? It's like something out of the IDW comics. Everyone loves him--the town, the Aunts, Nadira. He should have tried to end the world a lot sooner; he's never had so many friends.

I don't even know what with the emo!magic. The universe having plans was bad enough, now we've got magic with feelings. I supposed it going off to hibernate is the setup to another story.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (15-04-16),Silver1 (12-04-16),Stoney (12-04-16),TimeTravellingBunny (12-04-16)

Slayer
    Thanks

Just wanted to give some brief thoughts on the end of Angel & Faith in season 10(issue 24 and 25)

Overall I thought the last tow issies were fair.I think overall Angel & Faitrh was weaker this season so the ending was never going to be as exciting as the conclusion of Angel & Faith in season 9.

I really liked noir feel of this season and character stuff.I think Koh worked better here then in Buffy last season.I thought Nadira's arc over the two season was good.

Archaeus was a poor big bad IMO.

Mixed reaction on the Illyria/Fred stuff due to another character being brought back.

I think Angel and Faith's arc wasent as strong this season but again I think part of that is that I thought the season 9 storyline was stronger.

Overall Angel & Faith this season was okay but not great like last season.

I'll admit I'm also not as interested in Magic TOwn at this point so i'm hoping for a change next season.

I think I'd rather have Angel & Faith play a role in Buffy next season rather then a monthly book.Maybe a Angel & Faith mini series or a limited run instead.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (15-04-16),Stoney (13-04-16)

Thanks

I would not like to have Angel and Faith coming over to the Buffy series - it's not practical page space dealing with all these characters - maybe for one arc but frankly I've had my fill of Angel and Buffy working together - to me it's taking a step backwards. I've been thinking same about maybe doing mimi series stories that would still feature Magic Town with perhaps one taking them on a totally different adventure away from the Magic Town primary story. I think there is still plenty of material in the Magic Town Tale that could be explored.

Unfortunately for me, I am still feeling like Dark Horse is still trying to do "damage control" from The Twilight Times and the everybody loves Angel and his warrior partner Faith and his new team is bit heavy handed.

Still totally dislike the bring back Fred element and to have Illyria being suppressed/control by Fred does not satisfy - why the hell is Illyria still this awesome powerful life form that is allowed to come forth as needed for muscle and yet normal human Fred is powerful enough to take control over her? They needed to give me more information on how and why this happens to make me believe this story element.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

betta (15-04-16),HardlyThere (15-04-16),kimothyschma (16-04-16),Lostsoul666 (13-08-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

normal human Fred is powerful enough to take control over her?
    A human whose soul was supposed to have been completely destroyed, poof, gone, obliterated. I don't like the idea of her being back at all and they've never explained how she's back after aforementioned soul-poofing.

You're right about DH being on damage control, but it would be less noticeable if the other side didn't seem to catch every bit of the fallout while Angel gets carried around on everyone's shoulders.

I'm not a fan of the magic town thing. It just seems like a way to recreate Sunnydale's center of mystical convergence thing. It worked fine once, but now it feels forced.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (16-04-16),Silver1 (15-04-16)

Thanks

Totally agree with you - I don't like that Bring Back Fred at all and she has been little more than boring since her return - there should be nothing left of Fred other than what Illyria wishes to bring forth as a temporary vision of Fred. Why not just work with a new original character that can become an important part of the story - they created the detective and then just threw him away as vampire army fodder. I did like Eldre Koh and the had the basis for more story with his shared history with Illyria - I would have like more from this storyline and it would have brought some continuity with the events presented in the Siphon/Severin/Illyria Deeper Well magic explosion that caused the transformation of Illyria.

Oh well - I'm only a reader - not even sure I can call myself a fan - 'cause I really not the the Team Angel anymore but I love the Buffyverse and loved the Angelverse so much that I just keep wanting more -

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

HardlyThere (16-04-16),Silver1 (16-04-16)

Slayer
    Thanks

They probably don't think fans will accept them, I guess. I didn't care for the Illyria/K'oh stuff. K'oh is interesting himself, but Illyria bothering to imprison him outside of time and all that? Just dumb. I doubt there would even be K'oh if Joss didn't create him. I wish they'd have kept him in the BTVS side because that thing needs a blood transfusion. It's the same old dynamics being redone over and over there.

I don't get why they completely abandoned the Pearl storyline and instead opted for the Riley one. It created all kinds of problems verse-wide. I guess they wanted to have guns and explosions or something.

Oh well - I'm only a reader - not even sure I can call myself a fan - 'cause I really not the the Team Angel anymore but I love the Buffyverse and loved the Angelverse so much that I just keep wanting more -
    I read them for the same reasons I read the old Dark Horse comics and the novels. I like Gen over shipper stuff, which is why I burned out on fanfic. It's hard to find gen fanfic. Plus the art has a novelty to it. I don't see these books any differently than the other official media put out from 98-03. I was a fan of Buffy and Angel the TV series, not necessarily the franchises themselves.