Thread: Fanart Round Robin Thread

Thanks

Default Fanart Round Robin Thread

Hi all,

This is an idea I discussed with Nina to get some inspiration here in the fanart thread. The idea is that we can post a prompt on here for other fanartists, who can then use this as inspiration for some art and then pass it on with a new prompt for someone else.

How it works

1. A user will post a prompt - this can be a quote from a TV series/movie, passage from a novel, excerpt from a poem or a piece of lyrics from a song etc, just something that you think could be inspirational for another artist.
    2. If you find it inspirational and get an idea for a piece, simply post to "claim" the prompt. This is just to avoid several users preparing pieces for one prompt, but having someone else post a piece before you're finished.
    3. When you're done, simply edit your finished piece into the claim post and remember to post a new prompt for the next user

Rules
    1. You have one week to post your piece after claiming. This is just to ensure the thread doesn't "die off" if you have to vanish unexpectedly for a little while. If a piece is not posted within a week, then it is open for someone else to claim.
    2. You do not have to use the words from the prompt in your piece, but you are welcome to do so, the prompt is there for inspiration only
    3. You can art any fandom and any size artwork, if you are doing icons try to do a batch of around 5 or more
    4. Feedback is welcome in this thread, so if you would like to post FB for the pieces posted, please do so!

Any questions, feel free to ask and I can edit this post to cover off other details.

--------------

Prompt:
    This is a quote from Beauty & the Beast (Linda Hamilton version):
    Father: I sometimes feel that I'm standing on the bank of a raging river watching you try to swim across. How can I not worry? I'd be a fool. And yet, Vincent, sometimes I have to marvel at your courage.
    Vincent: Catherine swims across that river as well. She faces the same dangers, shows the same courage. And in many ways the toll on her is even greater.
    And off we go.............

SJ
    x

Art by Sayjay at Radiance

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slaycandy For This Useful Post:

Nina (13-01-16),Stoney (13-01-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 5,384 Posts

OK, I really love the idea of this thread and really want to see it get going so I have been racking my mind and I have come up with something for this so I'm taking it. I'll post whatever it is I manage by next week.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Nina (30-01-16),slaycandy (30-01-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 5,384 Posts

Transition

Credits: daydreaming, all night noise, bloodqueen, ladymanson

OK, here is the mental side step I took from the quote to get to this piece! I don't know Beauty & the Beast so couldn't contextualise, but I saw the aspect of a parent viewing the road ahead and challenges for two children very differently. This made me think of the transition that both Buffy and Dawn go through in S5 of BtVS. Buffy has for many years had the weight of the world on her, but that season she started a specific journey further into adulthood with the responsibilities and expectations that came with Dawn's inclusion and Joyce's illness. Both children are differentiated. Buffy is needed to step up and shed her position as a child Joyce would want to protect as she is asked to take the protective role for Dawn. And she indeed sacrifices her life to protect Dawn, passing on similar sentiments just before for the changing path Dawn will now face without her. I used Joyce's words to Buffy but also mixed in Buffy's line to Dawn.

-----------

Prompt: from Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

“Revenge may be wicked, but it’s natural.”
    Last edited by Stoney; 04-02-16 at 04:45 AM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

kimothyschma (04-02-16),Nina (04-02-16),Paracelsus'Lady (04-02-16),slaycandy (04-02-16)

Thanks

Hey!

So I'm snagging this quote... but first of all... Feedback being the tag:-
    Spoiler:
    I really love the way that you took this quote and used it! Sidestepping is good - as long as it inspires some art at the same time! For the piece itself, I really love the image choice you have used here. The two key images of the sisters really show that moment of sacrifice, where Buffy makes the decision and Dawn realises what is about to happen. I also love the central image of the sacrifice itself. I'm not too sure about the way they have been blended together though.

It may have been an idea to cut the image of Buffy and Dawn down the middle and separate these out a little more to give that central image just a bit more space, so it isn't encroaching on the other image as much (if you look at the top left of Dawn's head around to her right eye, you can see the circle coming over her face which is a little distracting).

The colouring works well with the piece, that cold, harsh blue, really captures the moment. Likewise, the textures work with the piece - I recognise that Britt texture with the sparks flying in the background! But, as with the images, I feel that it is all a bit too close together. Perhaps if the images were slightly smaller, or the texture was slightly bigger, it would take away that slight "cramped" feel to it. It all works really well together, but maybe just a little more spacing would make it flow a little better?

Overall, a lovely piece for such a heartbreaking moment from BtVS! Thank you for sharing!!

Revenge may be Wicked

So, I decided to use the text as it was. For those who don't know Adalind is a character in Grimm who is a hexenbeist (a kind of witch) and Nick (the Grimm) takes away her power. After this she seeks revenge on Nick (several times over throughout the series as this was just the starting point!) So I figured, who better to art than her!

I loved the idea of revenge being both wicked and natural so wanted to use imagery (and colouring) to show this. You will see a lot of typical "wicked" imagery in there - blackbird, flames, apple of temptation, etc. But, also a lot of "natural" imagery too - a bird, a forest, branches, fire, fruit, all of these things are both natural and symbolic of being wicked. I also wanted to use natural colouring on Adalind to highlight the same idea.

And now for the next quote...

Next Prompt:
    This quote is from Revenge and is one that I love, because there are so many ways to art this and I have used this a couple of times myself in pieces (both Revenge and non Revenge art), so here's hoping that someone else will find this inspiring...

“As Hamlet said to Ophelia, ”God has given you one face, and you make yourself another." The battle between these two halves of identity...Who we are and who we pretend to be, is unwinnable. "Just as there are two sides to every story, there are two sides to every person. One that we reveal to the world and another we keep hidden inside. A duality governed by the balance of light and darkness, within each of us is the capacity for both good and evil. But those who are able to blur the moral dividing line hold the true power.”
    *hugs*
    SJ
    x

Art by Sayjay at Radiance

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slaycandy For This Useful Post:

buffylover (06-04-16),Nina (05-04-16),Paracelsus'Lady (07-04-16),Stoney (05-04-16)