Thread: Angel & Faith # 22 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,102 Posts

Default Angel & Faith # 22 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

The issue is out tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,562 Posts

On this first read through I didn't really enjoy this issue. Giving all that information about the group was a good move to create the pretence of helping as there wasn't much it could do to overly benefit them in any immediate sense but showed willing. But it was very risky to send everyone to take on the gang as they were mightily outnumbered and consequently all of them managing to escape then felt really waaaay too easy. I very much doubt there is any chance this is a bluff and really Angel is being evil and is now fooling the gang, and that is mainly because I stayed completely doubtful all through his evil act despite him seeming so willing. My biggest problem was that he didn't sound like himself at all I don't think, the time of him playing evil with Dru and Archaeus was pretty tortuous. He sounded like he was trying to play at being a different character and staying in gameface really smacked of keeping on a mask, giving them a visual 'Look I'm really evil, honest'. As that wasn't something that Angel tended to do evil/unsouled, it seemed really obviously a prop. I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't have seemed so to Dru and that she wouldn't be able to tell the difference with him. I'm trying to remember from rewatching Reunion the other day, but I'm pretty sure she knew just to look at him. But even if not, it just seems odd she was taken in like this to me when he was acting so out of character and it seemed so fake. I suppose I can just put it down to her deep want for this to work.

The reference from Archaeus to the SF gang and him learning the importance of family seemed strange as surely that was already his plan all along in wanting to get Spike and Angel back in the fold? It felt like it was used for a forced reference and I can't help but wonder still if Archaeus isn't going to return with Angel et al to SF for the season end. But as it has been pointed out, he is the big bad of the season in A&F, so that would seem less likely. It may just be a link for Dru heading off to see Spike when Archaeus is defeated, and she undoubtedly escapes. He has been referenced repeatedly and Faith was goading her about him specifically when she first arrived.

Of course Faith just knocked Dru down and she survived this confrontation. Everyone staying back for the two group leaders to slug it out didn't feel very realistic to me and the sword fight with Faith seemed a strange choice for Dru anyway. But then she hasn't felt 'present' in any of this yet to me. Her voicing was still poor and apparently she is just tired of using her thrall these days.

The only interesting thing that had any forward motion was Nadira's open concern over the magic. We have also seen that, as expected, the statue has now been moved. It just all felt really pedestrian for me this month.

EDIT: With a bit of distance I can see merit in establishing that Archaeus isn't going to just be able to 'trigger' Angel into falling in line, assuming they stop teasing that now. It would be good if we don't have that constantly playing out over the end of the season as everything winds towards the finish line. So assuming that this was for that purpose I certainly welcome it.

It still doesn't remove the issue that he didn't seem right for his evil self, perhaps a lot of that comes from just falling in line to Archaeus' command. Dru's presence made this an issue because she should have felt he was 'off' I think and the constant gameface was so ooc. Archaeus also seemed to be able to sense the fight within them in SF, but not here. And I still think they did all of this and sprang Nadira with too little consequence.
    Last edited by Stoney; 06-01-16 at 01:38 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

HardlyThere (06-01-16),kimothyschma (06-01-16),TimeTravellingBunny (11-01-16)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 823 Posts

I can't shake the RL awareness that there are 3 issues left so it was unlikely to be Angelus. S4 ruined Angelus for me anyway. Over the top and hammy. Beyond that, there are no consequences to anything, as Stoney mentioned. None of the mains are going to croak, save for maybe Archaeus. The idea they'd have Angel doing anything hairy goes against them acquiring the rights and whitewashing him. All that's left is the statue and magic plot which is moving along at the pace of grass growing in winter.
    Last edited by HardlyThere; 06-01-16 at 05:07 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

kimothyschma (07-01-16),Stoney (06-01-16),TimeTravellingBunny (11-01-16)

Thanks

This was a nicely drawn issue. Drusilla looked her best yet. The cover was gorgeous, and I particularly loved the look of the panels where Dru and Faith had crossed swords and the one where Dru is standing above Faith and she's on the ground like, "Brb Dru, I gotta take this."

What's that Spike quote from In the Dark? "Why? Because you are vampire detective now? What’s next? Vampire cowboy? Vampire fireman? Oh, vampire ballerina." Glad we checked off those boxes. Like… why don’t they change out of their work clothes? I guess it's a bit of a nice tribute to the episode and I'm just being snarky.

Anyone calling Drusilla "Dru" besides Angel or Spike in-story bugs me, and that includes Buffy and Faith. It’s fan shorthand that made it into the book.

Oh, look, Angel was faking. The Angelus character lacks a certain something without DB’s performance. And he would never be anyone's minion, not with the Master, and not even really while faking with the Mayor, so who would believe he'd do it now? Stoney, I agree with your point. We have seen Angel play soulless before, and this didn’t feel anything like that. Bad writing?

Lol @ Archaeus is too big to fit in the sewer tunnel. What a dummy.

PS, I totally agree with the fan letter at the end that complains about Buffy being absent from the plot. I don’t feel her feelings, either, David!!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimothyschma For This Useful Post:

HardlyThere (06-01-16),Stoney (06-01-16),TimeTravellingBunny (11-01-16)

Thanks

* Unless Magic Town is giving Fred considerable strength -- or she's somehow using Illyria's strength -- it makes around zero sense that she's easily staking New Rules Vampires. Buffy and Spike couldn't relatively easily stake NRVs.

* Another example of Season 10 not being consistent regarding stuff from earlier in Season 10, Drusilla was deathly afraid of Eldre Koh. Now, she decides to swordfight Faith with Koh mere feet away.

* Wouldn't the combined forces of Illyria and Eldre Koh be able to kill Archaeus?

* Um, Drusilla doesn't fight that way and she doesn't taunt. She essentially fights effectively and efficiently. Given the only way a sword could kill Dru is if it decapitated her, she should have relatively easily killed Faith if she actually wanted to kill Faith.

- In addition, it seems the writers have forgotten "Becoming Part II" (B 2.22) and "Crush" (B 5.14). Dru didn't bother telling Spike she killed a Slayer. Dru in "Crush" decided to electrocute Buffy into unconsciousness. Later, she has no problem fighting Buffy unfairly.

- Did Drusilla bleed during ANY of her previous fights?

- Regarding how easily Faith overpowers Dru, it's almost comparable to a Glory vs. Dru fight. If anything, "What's My Line Part II" (B 2.10) suggests Drusilla is possibly considerably more durable than Spike is. In "Passion" (B 2.17), Dru tells Angel the sun can be "so hurtful". She says nothing about it being deadly. The only time Spike bled when fighting Full Powered Illyria is when she kicked him into that wall. Are we supposed to believe Faith kicked Dru with similar force?

* Drusilla was fighting with a sword. Drusilla has dagger nails. Drusilla has hyno-beams. Allowing Dru to 'beat on Faith' actually would only make sense if Drusilla couldn't kill Faith while the 'beating' happened.

- Drusilla easily could have sliced open Faith's throat instead of shallowly slicing Faith's arm. Dru could have easily sliced upon Faith's throat instead of elbowing Faith.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,102 Posts

I got Angel & Faith # 22.Part II of ,"A Tale Of Two Familes."

I don't really have much to say about this issue.It was decent but Angel faking it was very telegraphed.Also it is hard getting Angelus's voice right in the comics.

Still don't think Archaeus is great big bad.
    Last edited by BAF; 10-01-16 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,795 Times in 2,263 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Of course Faith just knocked Dru down and she survived this confrontation. Everyone staying back for the two group leaders to slug it out didn't feel very realistic to me and the sword fight with Faith seemed a strange choice for Dru anyway. But then she hasn't felt 'present' in any of this yet to me. Her voicing was still poor and apparently she is just tired of using her thrall these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    * Um, Drusilla doesn't fight that way and she doesn't taunt. She essentially fights effectively and efficiently.

- In addition, it seems the writers have forgotten "Becoming Part II" (B 2.22) and "Crush" (B 5.14). Dru didn't bother telling Spike she killed a Slayer. Dru in "Crush" decided to electrocute Buffy into unconsciousness. Later, she has no problem fighting Buffy unfairly.
    All true. They never really got Drusilla's voice in the comics, but this is the worst so far. She's never been the type to enjoy the fight for itself, taunt, brag or enjoy the rivalry and glory of fighting. She put Kendra under the thrall in order to kill her.

It's like they forgot her scenes on the show and mixed up her characterization with Spike's. Is Dru the new Spike now?
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 18-01-16 at 06:36 PM.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 823 Posts

I guess they're trying hard to make her an assertive villain rather than an orchestrator. She'd been shown to take care of herself, but sword-fighting? No.

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 391 Posts

I finally got around to reading this yesterday and I wish I hadn't bothered. It was really and truly terrible.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Morphia For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (03-02-16)