Thread: Battle 95: Sayjay v. Nina

Thanks

Default Battle 95: Sayjay v. Nina

So this battle has been 2 years in the making (mostly because I vanished for 2 years), but it's finally here - Nina vs Sayjay!

The Battle has 2 key elements to it, and those are: rounds focusing on various techniques and Grimm quotes to use as inspiration. We are looking at doing 6 rounds each, each with a different technique as the focus. We have also decided on 6 quotes from the openings of Grimm (these were chosen 2 years ago so all relate to earlier episodes), which we will assign to each other at random throughout the battle!

The Rounds...

Round 1/2: Stocks - done!
    Round 3/4: Colour - done!
    Round 5/6: Lighting - done!
    Round 7/8: Textures/Brushes - done!
    Round 9/10: Manip - done!
    Round 11/12: Text - on the last round :'(

The Quotes...

#1 "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned."
    #2 "It is not more suprising to be born twice than once; everything in nature is resurrection"
    #3 "And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest"
    #4 "She'll sting you one day. Oh so gently, so you hardly even feel it. 'Til you fall dead."
    #5 "For me there are neither locks nor bolts, whatsoever I desire is mine."
    #6 "Death stood behind him and said: Follow me, the hour of your departure from this world has come."

These will be marked in a different colour each time they have been used, blue when used by slaycandy, green when used by Nina and red when we have both used it.

Round 1: Stocks - Sayjay

Credits: Daydreaming, SXU, Krakograff, HisMrs

So, when I read the quote, I knew I had to come up with something to make use of stocks and I was googling "symbolism for resurrection" and getting ideas of crosses, etc. Then, I found an image of a Phoenix and knew immediately I wanted to do something around this imagery. I used an image of a Macaw and played with the colours, then played with some fire stocks and embers before getting the look I wanted. The rest is history! The piece is a simple character piece for Oliver Queen from Arrow,

Round 2: Stocks - Nina

So, it's over to you hun! As the challenge is for stocks, I'd like to see what you come up with for the following quote...
    #5 "For me there are neither locks nor bolts, whatsoever I desire is mine."

SJ
    x
    Last edited by slaycandy; 17-04-16 at 03:23 PM.

Art by Sayjay at Radiance

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slaycandy For This Useful Post:

buffylover (06-01-16),Nina (06-01-16),Paracelsus'Lady (17-01-16),Stoney (06-01-16),Zugma (06-01-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,002 Times in 988 Posts

Let me start with the phoenix; I love how you created your own phoenix by combining wings and fire. Not only is it pretty and unique but it also fits both the technique and the quote. Very well done! I also love how it contrasts with the background. By using that Krakograff texture you made the background rather grunchy, plus it's rather dark while the phoenix looks smooth and light. So it really pops out. I also love the Oliver in front of the phoenix, by using only his silhouette you made sure it wasn't too crowded and it's just a cool effect. Plus everybody can see it's Green Arrow who walks out of the fire, despite it just being a silhouette. ^^ The Oliver in the back finishes the look. I'm not sure sure about the Ollie on the left. He seems a bit lost and I don't think your composition needed it, because of that photo it feels a bit like the composition is out of balance actually. Nevertheless, I think this first round is an awesome wallpaper and I've super jealous of your typography skills.

Round 2: Stocks - Nina

I don't think I've made a wallpaper this 'busy' in quite some time. The quote screams 'thief' so I went with one of my favorite thieves in the world: Selina Kyle aka Catwoman. This time I went with the Gotham incarnation but I could've picked any version of her I guess. The New York stocks are obvious of course since Gotham is based on NY and Selilna Kyle belongs in Gotham. Not unlike Batman she moves through the city like a shadow but unlike Bruce she has been doing that since she was a child. I added stocks of gold because she is a thief, she enjoys helping rich people lose their fancy stuff. I used the fire sprinkles in my wallpaper as well, although I made them black & white.

Daydreaming, Zugma, Chrus Uy, Krakograff & Stock.xchng

For people who can not view my stuff on Imagebam:
    click

Round 3: Colour - Sayjay
    And it's your turn again ^^ Have fun with combining colour with the following quote:
    #6 "Death stood behind him and said: Follow me, the hour of your departure from this world has come."

Good luck!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (09-01-16),Paracelsus'Lady (17-01-16),slaycandy (08-01-16)

Thanks

First of all, damn girl that was quick!!

Thanks for the feedback. I totally debated with that left-Ollie several times and it drove me crazy. I'd originally had like a Russian doll thing going on in the middle with the big ollie in the background, the silhoette ollie and then a small foreground ollie. But, it made it too busy and when I took it out I felt I needed something else, enter the left-ollie! Oh wells!

Feedback

Gah! Nina! I love it! I really love the city stocks in this, setting the scene for the piece and the way the white stock in the foreground frames the image of Selina. I also like the use of the gold to give a hint at her thieving skills. The colouring is soft and works really well for the piece. My only slight critique would be the way the white lines flow on the left hand side. Because they create a "V" on the left hand side, it kind of leads the eyes away from the main image, rather than toward it. But, that's a very tiny nit pick, the piece is fantastic!

Round 3 - Colour (Sayjay)

So... I had such a tough time with this one, I just could NOT think of what to do. I eventually decided to go with an Arrow piece from the episode The Climb, where Olly challenges Ra's al Ghul to a fight to the death. For the colour requirement I wanted to use it to show the coldness and bleakness of the mountains where the fight took place and to show the descent into darkness as the fight ends. I wanted to show Olly in "real" colours, to show him "alive", with Ra's being depicted in dark, black colours to show him as the "death" that is coming for Olly.

For the composition of the piece, I wanted to do two "blades" coming across the darkness to represent the clashing of the 2 swords with Ollie caught in the middle. I also wanted the imagery of Ra's staring off down the mountain and into the blackness to show where Ollie has fallen to. I tried to use the colours for a bit of mood as well as contrast and to bring the eyes down through the images to the darkness and essentially to Ollie's "death".

Hope that makes sense. This was a toughie for me!

Round 4: Colour - Nina

Sooo it's back to you now! I'm thinking this quote should be a good one for "colour", so let's see what you've got...
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned."

*hugs*
    xx

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slaycandy For This Useful Post:

buffylover (31-01-16),Nina (10-01-16),Paracelsus'Lady (17-01-16)

Thanks

Well I was not so quick this time...

I adore your entry, I tried to find any aspects of it that I didn't like but there were none. ^^ The composition is awesome, the blades with the bright Oliver in the middle. Ra being set on lighten.... you really captured the motion of the fight in your composition. Which is amazing and something I can only dream of (I've never been able to do that... or use more than 2 pictures of people in a composition ). The soft feathers to contrast with the blades/fight was a good choice as well. The same contrast you find back in the colors. I like the idea behind it, earth vs darkness. And there more smart elements, like time ticking away and the smoke to tell the story of Oliver's 'death'. So yeah, I really really liked it.

My second wallpaper on the other hand...

Round 4: Colour - Nina

I wanted to do a Jessica Jones wallpaper but nothing worked out. So when I don't know what to do, I make a HP wallpaper. Sadly enough I started with an idea that I didn't work out all that well so when I finally 'build' my Azkaban I had no clue how to continue. I wanted to tell the story of the mass break out (book five) because it was such a "oh shit" moment in the books, sure Voldemort was already back but now he had his best soldiers again and everybody finally understood that a new war was coming. But my attempts to add little Death Eaters who escaped Azkaban all looked really funny, in a bad way. So I ended with only a rope and a few Dementors. :/ After I made peace with that, I encountered a new problem, how to fit your wallpaper in mine (which is, let's be real... just a manip). Everything looked out of place, so I made a border with your wallpaper. I didn't even try to do something with text anymore...

The good news, I did tell the story with colors (look how the bright color is slowly pushed away) and I'm rather happy with my Azkaban manip. *yay*?

Stock.xchng, HP Wiki, Daydreaming & Krakograff.

For people who can not access Imagebam:
    click

Round 5: Lighting - Sayjay
    Allright, let's quickly move on. Your next round should be inspired on the following quote:
    #4 "She'll sting you one day. Oh so gently, so you hardly even feel it. 'Til you fall dead."

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (31-01-16),Paracelsus'Lady (17-01-16),slaycandy (17-01-16),Stoney (18-01-16)

Thanks

And, I'm done... again... sorry!

Feedback: OMG I LOVE this piece! I am a sucker for a scenic piece, mostly because I can't do them. It has such a foreboding atmosphere to it and the darkness that swoops across to the light is gorgeous. That left had side contrasted to the right really helps reflect the "feeling" behind it, that darkness on the left hand side of the building compared to the lightness coming down the right is just beautiful. Likewise, the use of the headstones on the left really adds to the scene. I know you said this is a manip, but I just totally can't tell what's been manipped here so that's pretty damn impressive! I think this is a fantastic piece and can't wait to see what you do next!

Round 5 - Sayjay - Lighting

So, as soon as I read the quote I got this image in my mind of a bee with its stinger as the "i" in sting and I really wanted to create this imagery of a "queen bee", with flowers, honeycomb, and light honey-ish colours. I started with an image of Nick and Adalind in my mind. I also wanted to show the dangers lurking around the queen bee (Adalind), but the delicateness of her sting, so I didn't want to do anything too harsh or in your face, so I opted for the manip of Adalind with the snake, to show the subtle danger behind her. After putting the piece together I didn't feel Nick had any place in it, so changed it to an Adalind piece. I used the clouds from your piece (from the "light" side of your piece) on the right of Adalind and also to add some of the "light" to the piece around her. For the "lighting" aspect of the battle, I wanted to use the lighting of the piece to highlight the softer side of Adalind/the bees in this piece, so hope that comes across.

She'll Sting You

Credits: Grimm Fan, Daydreaming, Marilyne, google image search

Round 6 - Nina
    So, I know you're busy and all, no rush on this, but... here's your next quote (I figured I'd use the last one we haven't used yet!):-

"And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest"

Best of luck my dear,
    xx

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slaycandy For This Useful Post:

buffylover (31-01-16),elfTLG (22-05-16),Nina (19-01-16),Paracelsus'Lady (19-01-16)

Thanks

I've finally finished my round, sorry for the wait.

I adore your Adalind wallpaper, it's such a clean and bright piece of art. And I love the symbolism, the bright colors and the flowers vs the bees and the snake. Also some of the words look like they are made out of gold, which fits Adalind perfectly as well. The typography is stunning anway. I don't have much to say, it's just a very pretty wallpaper. If I had to pick on something... it's so yellow. I think I would've brought in one color to balance it out, or perhaps I would not have made Adalind so very yellow. But I've no idea, perhaps that would look weird. Anyway, I love your wallpaper.

Round 6: Lighting - Nina

When I started thinking about this round, Alan Rickman just died. Since Mara is a huge fan en the prompt screams 'death', I decided to make a wallpaper for her. She picked the picture.

Alanrickmanfan.hu, Resurgere, Krakograff, brusheezy, I googled the birds and I used a gradient by Daydreaming.

click here when you can't view the imagebam upload

Round 7 - Sayjay
    Since we've done all quotes once, I suggest you try the same one as I used.

"And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest"

Good luck!

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (31-01-16),elfTLG (22-05-16),Mara (31-01-16),Paracelsus'Lady (01-02-16),slaycandy (01-02-16),Stoney (31-01-16),Zugma (31-01-16)

Thanks

No worries on the wait, I'm having a busy time just now too - just bought a new flat and busy furniture shopping etc! Hopefully things will calm down soon though!

Feedback This is my favourite piece of the battle so far, I absolutely adore it. I love subtle textures in the background giving it warmth, the lightness of the image in the foreground, the little dove off to the left and those flecks of lighting over the piece, it just all comes together perfectly. It's just a gorgeous piece, I have no faults with it that I can pick out at all!!

Round 7 - Textures

So, when I saw the quote I had no idea what to art for it. I knew this one was coming at some point, but I'd hoped it would be nearer the end! Eventually, I settled on one of the most heartbreaking scenes from one of my fave fandoms - in Dark Angel when Josh learns that Annie has died. If you haven't seen it, Josh is a transgenic with a bit too much canine in his DNA so he looks different. Annie is blind and meets Josh and they fall in love immediately. But, just as she learns what he really is, she is killed.

As this was the texture round, I really wanted to use the textures in a symbolic way rather than just for decoration, so I used a dark grungy Krakograff texture in the background to sort of symbolise the "darkness" and "roughness" left behind. I then layered several textures on top of this on screen to try and create a softer more "heavenly" feel in the top left corner. Although trying to create a soft feel in that corner, I really want to show the cold/harsh reality of it, and to give it a feel of Annie being "taken" from Josh, so I wanted it to have a darker tone to it, and that central image to be quite harsh with the clouds and the bird taking Annie away from Josh.

Anyway that was the idea! It's really not one of my favourite pieces, but I have basically been staring at this in photoshop for hours and my brain is ceasing to see straight!

Flights of Angels

Credits: Britt, Jennilou, Marilyne, Matilda, Krakograff

Round 8 - Nina

Up next for you... "Death stood behind him and said: Follow me, the hour of your departure from this world has come."

*hugs*
    x

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slaycandy For This Useful Post:

Nina (04-02-16),Paracelsus'Lady (04-02-16),Stoney (04-02-16)

Thanks

Feedback
    I like that you have thought about the textures you used, I love the symbolism. But I must agree with you that it's not your best wallpaper, it's a bit like we have a bunch of heads swimming in an ocean of textures. Which is not my favorite composition. But I love the story you told, it's so obvious that the light is 'heaven' and that with (only?) textures... it's awesome. Same can be said of the intense coloring, very lovely. ^^

Round 8: Textures - Nina
    Sorry for the long wait, I was stuck. I wanted to do something with more traditional textures but that didn't work out. So I went through my Tumblr textures.

I forgot which textures I used, I think Sweet Taste of Bitter is at least one of them. Screencaps are by Home of the Nutty.

click for non-imagebam link

Round 9 - Sayjay
    And for your next round ^^

"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned."

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Aureola (15-02-16),buffylover (17-04-16),Demetreas (30-08-16),Paracelsus'Lady (17-05-17),slaycandy (15-02-16),Stoney (15-02-16),Zugma (16-02-16)

Thanks

Hey,

I have been without internet since moving into my new flat, which has made arting very VERY difficult! I am back online now though and hope to have my next entry VERY soon! :O I've been dying to get back online! I will edit in my piece as soon as it's ready to go!!

EDIT...

Feedback

I love how you can make such gorgeous pieces with negative space and simplicity. I love the way you draw the eyes into that corner, and the way it is set up like a window, looking through to what is happening. It kind of feels like we are on the side of the grey expanse, and looking through to the living world, where Harry had come right to the edge, accepting death. The colouring is fantastic, I love that contrast between the bland grey, the red of death and the blue symbolising the power, which is what is tying harry to that world. It is stunning and I love it!!

Round 9 - Manip - Things Fall Apart

So, the quote is a piece of Yeates' poem The Second Coming and I kind of used some of the text from that as well as the words specifically from the Grimm intro. I really loved this idea of what once was falling apart and losing the innocence that was before, being replaced with this instability and the beginning of the end I guess in the poem.

I felt this fit really well with Sara Lance's character and the journey she has been through. She died and was resurrected, but in doing so, it unleashed an insatiable bloodlust within her and whatever innocence she once had (even after years with the League of Assassins) was being stripped away in place of this. Sara is now drowning in the bloodlust and trying to keep herself above it. This piece is supposed to show the death of Sara Lance and resurrection to the White Canary, with the blood lust that she has now.

From your piece, I was going to try for something minimal... that didn't happen. So I tried to use the blandness on one side, to represent death and the streak of red, being what tied Sara from that side, to the side where she is resurrected. I added in the red streak and the blood to try and tie it to your piece a bit too, although they look kinda different in my piece I guess!

For the manip requirement, instead of doing a traditional manip, I decided to go with something a little different. I did a Max (Dark Angel) manip a while ago where she was crumbling, having used a tutorial somewhere and I thought it would be cool to use that for this Sara image, so tried to replicate it, while making it different at the same time. In addition to doing the manip with the crumbles/breaks in Sara I also used an image of dust and various filters to blend one of the broken pieces into the dust storm, to try and show her soul coming back.
    Here goes...

Round 10 - Manip

And for you... I thought I'd stick with the resurrection theme:-

"It is not more suprising to be born twice than once; everything in nature is resurrection"

Here we go.......

*huggles*
    SJ
    x
    Last edited by slaycandy; 02-04-16 at 07:11 PM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slaycandy For This Useful Post:

buffylover (17-04-16),Nina (28-03-16),Paracelsus'Lady (17-04-16),Zugma (17-04-16)

Thanks

Sorry for the long wait!

Considering that this is the manip round, I love the technique you used. It's almost like stardust. Which contrasts with the grunch in the background, the flares of light and the (very realistic) spatters of blood. All these different textures together create an interesting and beautiful combination. And then the use of so many pictures in your composition, it's a risk I would've have dared to take but it works really well. It's not messy. I guess the choice to only use a saturated beige/yellow and red do help with that. Oh and I aodre the typography.

Round 10 - Manip:
    Like you, I also went with the phoenix. In the cage there is a pile of ash with fire-like red feathers, but you can not see those anymore because I resized the picture. :') But there is not much to explain, Buffy is resurrected in season 6 and I made a manip of her (base is Clemence Poesy).

CP fansite, Daydreaming, Sweet Taste of Bitter, Krakograff, Brusheezy & Chris Uy.

xXx

Round - 11:
    Oh my, the last rounds. ;.; You must be extremely suprised by the quote picked for this round .... good luck!

"For me there are neither locks nor bolts, whatsoever I desire is mine."

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (17-04-16),Demetreas (30-08-16),Paracelsus'Lady (17-04-16),slaycandy (17-04-16),Zugma (17-04-16)

Thanks

And this is the last one for me :O

Feedback: I really love the composition of this piece, the way you have the two opposing frames pulling that central image in different directions, and framing the character in almost two different settings to show the "rebirth". I also love the interplay of the colours from the two different scenes - the cool colours of the mountains against the warm colours of the fire, it works really well. The central manip looks fab too, and I like the imagery of the cage, as if she is the phoenix set free from the cage and she is holding the empty cage to show she has risen again. Likewise, the purity behind it all, gives the piece that feeling of being reborn through it too. I really love this!!

Round 11: Text - Whatsoever I Desire

So for this round, the requirement was text, so I decided to play with the text a little and reflect the imagery in the words, so I used the image of a key-lock in the word "lock" and an image of a bolt in the words "bolts". I decided to go with something slightly more playful for this one rather than serious like my other entries, so I hope that comes through! I'm not sure if you have seen Arrow, but Carrie Cutter, "Cupid" is basically an obsessive character who falls in love with various characters (mainly Oliver Queen) and once she sets her sights on a man, nothing will come between her and him. So this piece was supposed to be a light-hearted look at her obsession, with Oliver cut out in a heart shape, the target over him and her "cupid arrows" firing at it. Like I said, it's supposed to be fun/playful rather than a serious look at the character, I thought I'd end on something "cute" lol!

Round 12...

The last round!!! And again... no surprises on what quote you'll be going with...

"She'll sting you one day. Oh so gently, so you hardly even feel it. 'Til you fall dead."

*hugs*
    xx

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slaycandy For This Useful Post:

buffylover (18-04-16),Demetreas (30-08-16),Nina (17-04-16),Paracelsus'Lady (17-04-16),Zugma (18-04-16)