Thread: Top 10 Joss Whedon characters in WatchMojo.com

Thanks

Default Top 10 Joss Whedon characters in WatchMojo.com

Don't know if someone already posted this, but I didn't find it here in the forums, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C46VsJCBdY

Happy New Year, everyone!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rihannon For This Useful Post:

Clavus (31-12-15),MikeB (05-01-16),Silver1 (31-12-15)

Thanks

I saw this a couple weeks ago. I thought it was crazy that Anya was ranked above Willow, and especially that Mal was above Buffy. But it's the result of a poll, so whatever.

Happy New Year!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kimothyschma For This Useful Post:

Rihannon (01-01-16)

Thanks

I thought Buffy would be #1, but as you said, it was a poll...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rihannon For This Useful Post:

HardlyThere (01-01-16),kimothyschma (01-01-16)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

A poll of Firefly fans, maybe.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,660 Times in 1,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kimothyschma View Post
    I saw this a couple weeks ago. I thought it was crazy that Anya was ranked above Willow, and especially that Mal was above Buffy. But it's the result of a poll, so whatever.

Happy New Year!
    I'd swap Anya (though I love her) and Cordelia for Faith and Darla. Much better written characters with better arcs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    A poll of Firefly fans, maybe.
    A poll of Firefly fans wouldn't have just 3 Firefly characters on the list, and Spike at #1.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Stoney (03-01-16)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Why Spike?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    I'd swap Anya (though I love her) and Cordelia for Faith and Darla. Much better written characters with better arcs.
    Yes. I like watching Anya more than many others, but she isn't nearly as fleshed out and there are major inconsistencies in her character. The "fear of bunnies" thing really grates on me after a couple of rewatches. And this is so subjective (and I'm sure had no clear-cut criteria) because Faith totally misses for me, but I understand a lot of people really love her. A better title would be "Top 10 Most Popular Joss Whedon Characters."

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

A poll of Firefly fans wouldn't have just 3 Firefly characters on the list, and Spike at #1.
    3 out of top 10. A show that had a fraction of the episodes of Buffy/Angel and about half of Dollhouse.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,362 Times in 3,456 Posts

Well the rewatch has improved my appreciation of Anya and Cordelia more, but I'd definitely agree with you that Faith and Darla are better characters with better arcs. I think Darla's time on BtVS often makes people inclined to look past her and where they then took her and developed her in AtS.
    Last edited by Stoney; 04-01-16 at 10:05 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (04-01-16)

Thanks

This is merely a list.

Perhaps Willow is ranked relatively low because of her Dark Willow arc and maybe also because of how she is at the end of BtVS S8 and through Season 9.

Arguably, Buffy at times is unlikable. Unlike Mal, she's never told her best friends that she'd kill all of them to prevent any of them trying to save to the world by killing her 'fake' sister.

I don't understand Anya's relatively high ranking. Dr. Horrible's ridiculously high ranking is beyond silly. He's a horrible person and is in what is essentially a web series that's shorter than a single episode of TV.

River and Faith should have been on this list. Faith isn't even in the 'honorable mentions' section.

I fully disagree regarding WatchMojo's saying Spike has a "depressing backstory" and that Spike is "identifiable".

Spike is probably the most privileged character in the Whedonverse (outside of the MCU) throughout his life and death. His only real problems are Cecily rejects his marriage proposal, he has to share Drusilla for around 18 years, and Buffy gets with Riley instead of him. Even the chip leads to the best sex of his life and his possibly being able to go to a heavenly dimension when he dies even though he's killed at least 10s of 1,000s and has been responsible for the deaths of possibly upwards of 10s of 1Ms.

Thanks

They also listed Buffy #1 in the Top 10 Lead Female Sci-Fi and Fantasy TV Characters
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Aw8EaO3Yw

and #5 in the Top 10 Kick Ass Female TV Characters
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB_0vyu_kkE

I know these are popularity contests, but I have to feel glad to see how Buffy prevails as a meaningful and powerful character

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rihannon For This Useful Post:

A Beautiful Mystery (15-05-16),HardlyThere (29-04-16),kimothyschma (15-06-16),MikeB (22-07-16),Silver1 (26-04-16),Stoney (25-04-16)

Thanks

I don't think I've ever seen Spike as number 1 before so that surprised me. I think Buffy should have been number 1.
    I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-01-18),TriBel (13-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,024 Posts

As has been said, it was a poll, so what can you expect i also wonder if they had even watched the show because I'm sure they call Anya 'Anna' at one point.

I can't comment on the Firefly characters, as I've only watched in the once, a long time ago. But I was glad to see Cordy made it onto the list, she has great character growth and some of the best lines. I'm surprised Anya made it, and beat out Giles and Tara who are both so beloved. I can understand why Spike is number 1, he's a lot of people's favourite and he's endlessly interesting. Personally I'd have preferred Buffy was at number 1, but I don't mind that Spike hit the top spot
    Never much cared for picket fences anyway. Bloody dangerous.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (13-01-18),Stoney (13-01-18),TriBel (13-01-18)

Thanks

Personally I'd have preferred Buffy was at number 1, but I don't mind that Spike hit the top spot
    They're each a vehicle for the other - they go hand-in-hand (read this as you will or as I know you will). In fact, I'd argue that each has a presence in the life of the other before they actually meet (certainly from Spike's perspective). For this reason, the absent presence, I think every time Spike is mentioned you're entitled to presume Buffy as well. This is me desperately trying to be a NICE person - can you tell?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (13-01-18),Priceless (13-01-18),Stoney (13-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    They're each a vehicle for the other - they go hand-in-hand (read this as you will or as I know you will). In fact, I'd argue that each has a presence in the life of the other before they actually meet (certainly from Spike's perspective). For this reason, the absent presence, I think every time Spike is mentioned you're entitled to presume Buffy as well. This is me desperately trying to be a NICE person - can you tell?
    Lol you don't have to try to be nice TB, you just naturally are . . . unless you're related to you . . . those poor lads

But i love the idea that they are part of each other, even before they knew each other. Spike's obsession with Slayers could only lead him to Buffy.
    Never much cared for picket fences anyway. Bloody dangerous.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (13-01-18),TriBel (13-01-18)