Thread: Angel & Faith # 17 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,011 Times in 1,072 Posts

Default Angel & Faith # 17 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

The issue is out tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,835 Times in 5,314 Posts

Well I was without internet for the last day and a half and it has created... zero need to catch up here . Is anyone else reading this title on here anymore??? Anyway, my thoughts on the issue are pretty minimal.

I enjoyed the issue well enough, there was a good steady pace throughout and some nice bits of characterisation. I do really like how they worked in the touch of crossover with Angel that we saw in the preview. I'm really interested to find out what is so special about Mary, there must be something about her. Aha ha haa, *cough*, sorry.

I can't see how the situation at St. Cuthbert's is worse than they thought. That statement from Faith to Angel seemed odd to me. They thought there might be vampires and there are. One killing is hardly it being revealed to be a massive leap more complicated than expected is it? I only 'recognised' Dru because of the future covers which was disappointing. It would certainly have had more oomph even knowing she was coming if she had been truly recognisable.

The lack of accuracy for the British location has been brought up elsewhere and I have to wholeheartedly agree. The police uniforms and cars were just American. That doesn't bug me as much as the shoot-out they had when Illyria and Angel were fighting a few issues back, but there is seemingly little effort made to actually write/art the comic appropriately for the setting. The constant use of American phraseology then over little things like 'coach' or 'gym' teacher just bug me even more. Hey ho.

"Do you want jell-o?"
    "I do not"
    - my favourite panel just because I could hear the actor's voices here, nice subtle character touches like this give me warm fuzzies.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (08-08-15)

Slayer
    Thanks

I'm reading but I won't have my copy until tomorrow.

My schedule changed a few months ago making it hard to get to the comic shop on Wed. now.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (08-08-15),Stoney (06-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,694 Times in 2,215 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Well I was without internet for the last day and a half and it has created... zero need to catch up here . Is anyone else reading this title on here anymore??? Anyway, my thoughts on the issue are pretty minimal.

I enjoyed the issue well enough, there was a good steady pace throughout and some nice bits of characterisation. I do really like how they worked in the touch of crossover with Angel that we saw in the preview. I'm really interested to find out what is so special about Mary, there must be something about her. Aha ha haa, *cough*, sorry.

I can't see how the situation at St. Cuthbert's is worse than they thought. That statement from Faith to Angel seemed odd to me. They thought there might be vampires and there are. One killing is hardly it being revealed to be a massive leap more complicated than expected is it? I only 'recognised' Dru because of the future covers which was disappointing. It would certainly have had more oomph even knowing she was coming if she had been truly recognisable.

The lack of accuracy for the British location has been brought up elsewhere and I have to wholeheartedly agree. The police uniforms and cars were just American. That doesn't bug me as much as the shoot-out they had when Illyria and Angel were fighting a few issues back, but there is seemingly little effort made to actually write/art the comic appropriately for the setting. The constant use of American phraseology then over little things like 'coach' or 'gym' teacher just bug me even more. Hey ho.

"Do you want jell-o?"
    "I do not"
    - my favourite panel just because I could hear the actor's voices here, nice subtle character touches like this give me warm fuzzies.
    I didn't know Dru was coming, but I realized it was her because, well, what other female dark haired old school vampire (with lines like "Darling child") could it be?

She really did not look very recognizable. But that's generally the problem with the art. In some panels, they really get it right, Faith looks like Eliza Dushku and Fred like Amy Acker, but there are some panels where I wasn't sure which brunette it was supposed to be.

Maybe Mary has some special powers she's not aware of, like Dru did even as a human? It struck me when the guy called Mary a meek little mouse or something, that this was what Dru was like as a human, too.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Dru is on one of the released future covers, might even be next issue's. I got Faith and Fred mixed up more last issue but they do seem pretty indistinct on and off. I prefer Will Conrad by a mile.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just got the issue myself. I found a comic shop in my area recently. Was previously unaware of it as it's a little further out of town then I usually go and it's not the easiest to spot from the street so I'd never noticed it before. They seem nice enough, placed few back-orders with them as well.

The issue was alright. The Faith/Fred team up was written well. While I have gotten used to Will's art, I have no problems with this artist either. The Drusilla could have been better and Faith & Fred can be mixed up in panels from a distance, but S8 had a similar problem. Drusilla was not as bad as the Riley reveal panel back in early S8.

Given the importance of Mary, and speculation elsewhere about the New Seed, I'm betting Mary is one of the first or perhaps even the very first Slayer Called by the New Seed. Her arc screams as obvious set up to kill the boy she likes and/or the blonde vamp that got away from Faith. This and the previous issue seem to almost close the mystery of the dreams so that should wrap up soon. The only other mystery right now in either book is Ghost Anya. While neither book is boring, this one particularly is stuck treading water until Angel comes home. That and the solicit spoiling the ending of this issue are probably the reasons for the lack of comments right now.
    Last edited by DanSlayer; 08-08-15 at 03:53 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (08-08-15),Stoney (08-08-15)

Thanks

What is the speculation about the seed?

Thanks

Just about whether or not it is Calling New Slayers or not in wake of resetting vampires and Fred/Illyria. And debating how many Slayers are still alive after S8 and if any are still doing things Buffy's way. It already helped Billy make a connection to the First Slayer, it is probably making full Slayers as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Just about whether or not it is Calling New Slayers or not in wake of resetting vampires and Fred/Illyria. And debating how many Slayers are still alive after S8 and if any are still doing things Buffy's way. It already helped Billy make a connection to the First Slayer, it is probably making full Slayers as well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Stoney (08-08-15)

Slayer
    Thanks

I got my copy of Angel & Faith # 17,Part II of"Those Who Can't Teach,Teach Gym" yesterday.

I thought the issue was fun.I'm really liking the dynamic between Faith and Fred.And it's nice to get this spotlight with Angel away over at Buffy.The Buffy tie-in was nice too.

The Drusilla reveal wasn't a surprise since it was already spoiled in solcicitations for upcoming isuses but it's nice to see her back.

This has been a fun arc so far.