Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie looking for old FanFic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    How did you know Mortal Enemies was written as early as 1998? Do you know more Spuffy fics, that have been written before Spuffy was canon? Pre-Something Blue or at least pre-season6?
    That author has been on LiveJournal for quite awhile, so I've had many conversations with her. Most of her early work was on her site: Meandering Muse and/or Moonlight Madness, but that seems to be down. I've sent her a message on LJ, asking if she'd be interested in having her site "ported" to AO3. No reply yet. She is on AO3, but only a fraction of her Buffy stuff is there. *iz sad* I think she might've been one of those authors that was irritated at being "Jossed" by Fool For Love, but she didn't take her work down or anything. She prefaced most stories with a note that in her 'verse, Angelus sired Spike 200 years before School Hard, and she's sticking to it!

P.S. AllAboutSpike.com has a lot of early work, but it's not dated, so I can't point at anything in particular with confidence. It's a site worth checking out, though!
    Last edited by Rebcake; 17-09-18 at 09:34 PM.
    Weird love is better than no love Buffy Summers

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (18-09-18),flow (18-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 515 Posts

flow,

Just looked for a second through my files and found this one right away - the Wayback Machine says 1999, but I have the original posting stats from the website and this little ditty (unfinished) was posted on August 6, 1998 on the Slayer's Fanfic Archive - which would have been not long after Becoming premiered.

http://web.archive.org/web/199911220...rk2/ride1.html

Wanted to point out that the Slayer's Fanfic Archive is extremely old and dates from the first season. The owner and operator of the site was Anya - yes, Anya - and there's little doubt in my mind that our Vengeance Demon was probably named after her as a joke by the writers who were very aware of the site. Little did they know that "Anya" would become a continuing - and later major - character in the show. There's not a lot of Spuffy during the second season until Becoming - but there's weirdly some major Spike/Willow pairing.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?
    Last edited by American Aurora; 18-09-18 at 09:18 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to American Aurora For This Useful Post:

flow (18-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (18-09-18),Stoney (18-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,132 Times in 4,546 Posts

Shame only that first page is on the archive for that story. I have quite a lot of fics but just no idea what the original dates for them are and no way to check if the sites they are archived on don't specify. I was hoping to get an idea of which writers were posting earlier stories (I think flow is wanting to find old fics that predate the canon relationship for us to read). Do you have a working link for that site's home page Aurora, I couldn't get one to load to see which writers were posting on it/when.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (18-09-18),flow (18-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 515 Posts

Yes, Stoney, The Slayer’s Fanfic Archive was a weird site in which the owner categorized the fics by the date in which they were added. That’s why it’s so easy to trace when the stories were posted online. Sadly, they are not divided into any other category - so you have to look at each one (and many links are broken) to see if they involve a character or not.

I’m out now, but I will link to a few pages that show the posting dates of the stories as soon as I get home tonight - you’ll see what I mean when you look it over. But that does make it a valuable resource for dating certain fan expectations.

The site was pretty well known to the writers - at least Jane Espenson. This was before the massive explosion of fan fic for Buffy - and I still maintain that they used “Anya” as an in-joke name.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to American Aurora For This Useful Post:

flow (18-09-18),Stoney (18-09-18)