Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie looking for old FanFic

Thanks
    Thanked 5,012 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebcake View Post
    The thread is okay, but some of the posts herein are SPAM.
    Can we get rid of the spam without getting rid of the thread?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,064 Posts

The crew* can do that. Sadly enough I've not seen any of them around recently.

*Admins and the moderators who moderate in this specific subforum. I can only do it in the Fanart section

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    The crew* can do that. Sadly enough I've not seen any of them around recently.

*Admins and the moderators who moderate in this specific subforum. I can only do it in the Fanart section
    Thanks Nina. I know I've said it before, but it is sad that the Admins and Mods aren't around anymore

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 451 Posts

Hey - at least the leave the forum up!
    “A screaming vampire is always the center of attention.”― Terry Pratchett, The Truth

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-09-18),Stoney (13-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    Hey - at least the leave the forum up!
    God yes, that is a very good point. We should be grateful for small mercies

Thanks
    Thanked 1,974 Times in 811 Posts

Rebcake
    The oldest Spike/Buffy fic I know of is from Nov. 1998 — Mortal Enemies by Laure Alexander (aka ladyoneill) — http://offline.buffy.de/www.sinister...s/l/mortal.htm
    I`ve read this and I really loved it. It was interesting to read a Spike who has been written pre-Fool For Love. It`s still Spike but some layers are missing. But it is a very good fic (Buffy runs away post becoming Part 2 and meets Spike, who has been dumped by Dru).

I`d be very interested in reading more "old" Spuffy fics, but it is often difficult to know, when they were written. This one doesn`t have a date and AO3 went online after the show was cancelled. Fanfiction.net has been online for a longer time but I find it so difficult to search for fics there. I don`t really like that site.

How did you know Mortal Enemies was written as early as 1998? Do you know more Spuffy fics, that have been written before Spuffy was canon? Pre-Spmething Blue or at least pre-season6?

I am going to post this in the Spuffy fanfiction recommendation thread as well.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 454 Posts

flow:

I'd be very interested in reading more "old" Spuffy fics, but it is often difficult to know, when they were written. This one doesn`t have a date and AO3 went online after the show was cancelled. Fanfiction.net has been online for a longer time but I find it so difficult to search for fics there. I don`t really like that site.

How did you know Mortal Enemies was written as early as 1998? Do you know more Spuffy fics, that have been written before Spuffy was canon? Pre-Spmething Blue or at least pre-season6?
    Hey, flow!

I've got a lot of links to very old Buffy fan fiction sites that were present in the first years of the show - I can look through them and see if there's some really old Spuffy. I do recall one story that I looked at written during Season Two - and I almost fell off my chair because Spike falls in love with Buffy and runs off to get his soul back so she'd be able to love him. I believe it dated to when The Dark Ages aired - it was probably written shortly after Spike's third episode on the series, Lie to Me. So that's very early on - November of 1997 - that someone apparently guessed the whole plot line of souled Spike of Season Seven. I guess it was always pretty obvious.

If you like, I'll look through my huge list of Buffy fan fic links to really old websites. I don't know if it's okay to post them here (Wayback Machine stuff) but I'm happy to PM you if that's not allowed. I've privately collected over 10,000 fics from every website you can think of plus a lot of really old ones from sites that don't even exist anymore on the Wayback Machine, so if there's something you're looking for, I may have it! I've converted them all to either PDF or Word and I'm happy to share them privately. I was involved in some pretty major research a few years ago concerning fandom and I amassed a ton of stuff along the way.
    Last edited by American Aurora; 17-09-18 at 06:20 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to American Aurora For This Useful Post:

Priceless (17-09-18),Rebcake (17-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (17-09-18),Stoney (17-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,974 Times in 811 Posts

Hey American Aurora,

it would be simply wonderful, if you could find that old Spuffy fic you`ve mentioned or any other older Spuffy fanfic. The number of fanfics you´ve mentioned is really amazing. Are they all BtVS fanfics or are they from other fandomy as well? We have posted wayback machine links on this board before. I don`t think, there is a rule against it (or maybe we just haven`t noticed it ). But you can of course send me links via pm as well.

I am really excited about this!

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (18-09-18),Stoney (18-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    How did you know Mortal Enemies was written as early as 1998? Do you know more Spuffy fics, that have been written before Spuffy was canon? Pre-Something Blue or at least pre-season6?
    That author has been on LiveJournal for quite awhile, so I've had many conversations with her. Most of her early work was on her site: Meandering Muse and/or Moonlight Madness, but that seems to be down. I've sent her a message on LJ, asking if she'd be interested in having her site "ported" to AO3. No reply yet. She is on AO3, but only a fraction of her Buffy stuff is there. *iz sad* I think she might've been one of those authors that was irritated at being "Jossed" by Fool For Love, but she didn't take her work down or anything. She prefaced most stories with a note that in her 'verse, Angelus sired Spike 200 years before School Hard, and she's sticking to it!

P.S. AllAboutSpike.com has a lot of early work, but it's not dated, so I can't point at anything in particular with confidence. It's a site worth checking out, though!
    Last edited by Rebcake; 17-09-18 at 08:34 PM.
    Weird love is better than no love — Buffy Summers

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (18-09-18),flow (18-09-18)

Thanks

flow,

Just looked for a second through my files and found this one right away - the Wayback Machine says 1999, but I have the original posting stats from the website and this little ditty (unfinished) was posted on August 6, 1998 on the Slayer's Fanfic Archive - which would have been not long after Becoming premiered.

http://web.archive.org/web/199911220...rk2/ride1.html

Wanted to point out that the Slayer's Fanfic Archive is extremely old and dates from the first season. The owner and operator of the site was Anya - yes, Anya - and there's little doubt in my mind that our Vengeance Demon was probably named after her as a joke by the writers who were very aware of the site. Little did they know that "Anya" would become a continuing - and later major - character in the show. There's not a lot of Spuffy during the second season until Becoming - but there's weirdly some major Spike/Willow pairing.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?
    Last edited by American Aurora; 18-09-18 at 08:18 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to American Aurora For This Useful Post:

flow (18-09-18),SpuffyGlitz (18-09-18),Stoney (18-09-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,201 Times in 4,201 Posts

Shame only that first page is on the archive for that story. I have quite a lot of fics but just no idea what the original dates for them are and no way to check if the sites they are archived on don't specify. I was hoping to get an idea of which writers were posting earlier stories (I think flow is wanting to find old fics that predate the canon relationship for us to read). Do you have a working link for that site's home page Aurora, I couldn't get one to load to see which writers were posting on it/when.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (18-09-18),flow (18-09-18)

Thanks

Yes, Stoney, The Slayer’s Fanfic Archive was a weird site in which the owner categorized the fics by the date in which they were added. That’s why it’s so easy to trace when the stories were posted online. Sadly, they are not divided into any other category - so you have to look at each one (and many links are broken) to see if they involve a character or not.

I’m out now, but I will link to a few pages that show the posting dates of the stories as soon as I get home tonight - you’ll see what I mean when you look it over. But that does make it a valuable resource for dating certain fan expectations.

The site was pretty well known to the writers - at least Jane Espenson. This was before the massive explosion of fan fic for Buffy - and I still maintain that they used “Anya” as an in-joke name.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to American Aurora For This Useful Post:

flow (18-09-18),Stoney (18-09-18)