Thread: Rep Points?

Thanks

Default Rep Points?

So, I'm kind of wondering what happened to the Reputation Points Reward System we used to have? I mean, you can still give them out but it's not visible to other users and no one uses it.

I think it's nicer than a Thank You since you can actually say what you thought about the post and that's big for me in terms of Fanart.

Would you guys consider bringing it back?
    My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,564 Posts

Your rep points total is still visible for you just above the latest ones you have received, viewable on your usercp page. Instead of showing as a total for others now you have the funny coloured blocks under your name but I suppose that does make it less informative. That seems to be the main change since the site set up altered, the blocks I mean, otherwise it hasn't gone and it is still kind of visible and used. Unless you are thinking about how it was in some way further back than when I joined in 2011.

Thanks

I don't know, I feel like there was this huge significance to rep points that isn't around anymore?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,695 Times in 1,275 Posts

A huge disadvantage of the reputation system is the requirement that you'll have to give 10 others points before you can give the same person a rep again. When I see a wallpaper I want to rep, I receive the 'you have to give others points first' message in most cases. And the pool of fanartists is so small these days that I can't rep any of them before I rep some others. So I usually stick to the "thanks" option and send a vistor message or PM when I feel like giving an extra comment.

But I do agree with you.... the "thanks" option did the fanart community no favors. People just press that button and stop interacting with others. That is one of the reasons why we asked the members who host challenges to write feedback again.

Thanks

Yeah, I get that the Thank You is easier to give out, maybe that's why it feels less than what the rep points were. You had to be very picky on what you give out rep points and who you give it to. It felt special when someone gave you rep.

Maybe the mods can change the rep points settings?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 725 Posts

When we updated the forum last year, it would no longer show the total rep points under the avatar. We spent quite a bit of time searching for a solution within the forum's functions. The best I could do is what we have with the green and gold pips. Since we have 8 years of people earning reputation, the bars were originally maxed out for everyone. I then readjusted the settings making the values of the pips:
    Green =200
    Light Green =1000
    Gold = 5000

So no one has the maximum reputation and still has the game of watching it increase. :cheers:

I would love to have the points be displayed in the userblock. Since you first posted the thread, I have spent several hours investigating our options again. Unfortunately, it would take Rosely (or maybe Nikki )to edit the forum code if that is even something they are comfortable doing or think worth doing at the risk of maybe creating a bug in the forum. I found a possible code but this is beyond what I know to do.

Reputation giving had started dying long before we lost the ability to see the point totals. Many members were more interested in the comments anyway. Having lost all earned reputation when Buffyworld became Buffyforums, made the point values more disposable. Plus with some members being able to give ridiculous amounts of points compared to newer ones, the value of the comment really became significant.

We can still give comments! I still do. You can both thank a post and give it rep. I hate to lower the amount of people to cycle between giving it, because it is important for people to expand their circle of friends. But if that number of 10 is really hindering people I would consider it because the community has gotten smaller.

Lydia made the punch!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

Josh (21-02-15),Nina (21-02-15),Stoney (21-02-15)

Thanks

Ah! I didn't even know it's that much of an ordeal to change it.

Well, thanks for weighing in and clarifying things that were a bit confusing! I'm much less bothered now, knowing it was beyond your control.