Thread: TVD season 6

Thanks

Default TVD season 6

So I don't know if any of you guys are still watching TVD but since I'm loving season 6 so much, I thought I'd start a thread for it. To be honest, after season 5 was so bad and enraged me so much, I was ready to quit TVD. However, the notion of Damon and Bonnie being stuck together intrigued so I decided to check out season 6. And boy am I glad I did! Compared to the mediocre season 4 and the absolutely dismal season 5, season 6 has been a breath of fresh air. I haven't been enjoying the show this much in years, I actually look forward to watching every new episode. After hate-watching the show for so long, it's a great new feeling.

For me, the show introduced some great new elements this season. First and foremost is the Damon and Bonnie friendship and their adventures in 1994. Hearing them bitch and bicker but still slowly becoming good friends was a joy to watch! I never used to be a big Bonnie fan because the writers consistently wrote her in a boring and/or annoying manner. However, in season 6 the character was finally allowed to grow and become active, 1994 Bonnie is sassy, funny and actually acts and not only reacts. Of course she (or rather the writers) still cannot quite do without her tendency to being a martyr, as evidenced by her sending Damon back to the present time and staying behind with Kai. On the one hand I was glad that Damon was back in the present but on the other hand I still miss their fun 1994 scenes together. And even though I'm not satisfied with Damon's efforts to get Bonnie back (more on that below), I enjoy the little hints we have been getting in the episodes since he's been back that he misses her (such as his softly spoken "Happy birthday, Bon Bon" line). I really hope that Bonnie will manage to escape the prison dimension soon and will be back with her friends. I also hope that the Bonnie and Damon friendship will continue, that their bonding in 1994 will have a lasting effect.

Another thing I have really enjoyed this season is Kai. What a great new villain! A total sociopath/psychopath of course, but very funny and entertaining! I really hope that him merging with Luke won't woobify him too much because I enjoy his snark and the writers already tried that with Klaus and it did completely not work IMO. The actor has great charisma and visibly has a great time playing such an evil character. Also, the whole story behind the Gemini Coven has been interesting and rather disturbing, even if I still cannot stand Liv. I was sad though when Luke died.

I also like the developing relationship between Stefan and Caroline. While I still maintain that a guy and a girl can just be friends and don't always have to be romantically involved, I have to say I'm impressed how the writers have written this relationship. They took 1 1/2 seasons to develop Steroline, it was a slow burn but beautiful to watch. Which is also the reason why I don't have any problems with this week's Steroline kiss, it felt earned. Plus Paul and Candace have great chemistry, their little smiles and looks, especially in this week's episode, are adorable. Of course I didn't appreciate that Stefan was a total d'ick towards Caroline early in the season but I liked that his grief for his brother was this intense that he had to leave town and push his best friend away because he just couldn't deal. Also, words cannot express how much I loved the brotherly hug when Damon finally got back from the prison dimension. The Stefan and Damon brotherly bond is still one of the things I love most about TVD. Moreover, seeing a Stefan who doesn't pine over Elena has been so refreshing to watch this season. He is just so much more likeable when he is not all hung up on Elena and hangs out with Caroline.

Having Alaric back this season has also been great. I'm glad for him that he is human again because he always hated being a vampire. Damon and Alaric being reunited as drinking buddies is awesome.

Now as great this season has been so far, TVD wouldn't be TVD if it didn't include things that piss me off. First and foremost, Elena having Alaric compel away her memories of Damon! What a great way to prove your love for Damon, Elena! This was just another stupid and annoying attempt by the writers to create unnecessary drama between Delena. Why can't they just show them being in a loving relationship for a while without all the stupid obstacles? At least they are in a good place again at the moment but who knows what the writers will think of next to destroy that. This pisses me off so much! Also, Elena keeps being incredibly self-centered and self-involved. Of course her pain was so huge and important that she couldn't deal with it. She also doesn't seem to be all that interested in getting Bonnie back, her half-ass'ed attempts were not really convincing. And as mentioned above, I wish Damon had made more of an effort to get Bonnie back. Sure they had to deal with Kai and the merge drama but I expected more from Damon after seeing him and Bonnie bond in 1994.

As mentioned above, I also didn't appreciate Stefan being a total jerk to Caroline but at least he has apologised for that and they are also in a good place now.

The most stupid and pointless storyline by far this season has been the Enzo storyline. I'm just baffled as to what the writers wish to achieve with it. Why doesn't he just tell Damon that Stefan lied to him about Sarah Salvatore? Why this convoluted plan to turn Sarah into a vampire? What is the point of that? To hurt Stefan? And why would Damon appreciate what Enzo is doing? I honestly don't get it. I wish Enzo was killed off, all of his screentime is wasted, they'd better give his screentime to Bonnie.

But other than that, I have really been enjoying this season. This week's episode was painful to watch though, Liz's death turned me into a sobbing mess. She was one of the few parents still left on this show and now she is gone as well. However, I'm glad that she died of natural causes instead of supernatural ones (just like Buffy's mother). Next week's episode with the funeral and Caroline grieving will surely be tough to watch as well. Still, I'm curious how the writers will further develop this season. Let's hope it will remain as awesome as it is right now.

What do you guys think? Are you enjoying season 6 as much as I am?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cori For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (23-02-15)

Thanks

Nope. I've definitely enjoyed moments, but on a lot of other things, I'm just not sold.

- For one thing, I feel like Paul isn't really "into it" this year for some reason. I'm just not understanding how/where he stands with Caroline right now. I used to really enjoy SC, and I saw romantic undertones when they definitely weren't written that way in earlier seasons. But this year, I feel like SC has been mostly shown from Caroline's perspective...when we already KNOW how Caroline feels about Stefan. I don't have trouble believing that Stefan loves Caroline, but I'm really not seeing that he is supposedly falling in love with her. I know the dynamic would be different between them than SE because SC were friends first, but when I go back and watch him interact with Elena or Katherine, the vibe is totally different. I get a "You're my friend" vibe from Stefan around Care, not a "You are so wonderful and I wish I could touch you." Don't get me wrong, they are still some of the best parts of TVD right now. I just felt like they had a lot more potential before, and I feel like they blew it. They should have made it more obvious earlier this season that Stefan is actually into her, instead of making him play dumb all the time. I also don't like how this season his role seems to be side kick to Caroline. Basically he is just there to support Caroline and he has no other lines. I wish they would give Paul more to do instead of focusing on Damon so much.

- Enzo. Another one that I felt had potential; I liked him right away on the show, I liked his banter with Caroline. And then season 6 happened. They should have just written him off instead, because his storyline completely bewilders and bores me. It is just out in left field and doesn't make any sense.

- DE: ugh. I was impressed with Nina's acting at the beginning of the season, dealing with Damon being gone. But I just do not think that Ian and Nina have good chemistry anymore, so once Damon was back, they have really fallen flat for me. And it feels like the writers are doing this awful redo of what we've already seen, to try and patch up their mistakes with the sire bond debacle. Just so they can prove "see, Elena would have wanted him anyway." It all just makes me miss the good ol' SE days, and this is from a gal that shipped DE for the first 3 seasons! I'm ready for DE to be done, but I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be the "endgame" ship.

- Bonnie, and Bamon: I really enjoyed Bonnie and Damon's scenes in the early part of season 6. The actors have great chemistry and I really hope they share more scenes once they get Bonnie back.

- Kai: initially I did like him. But it seems like as soon as the writers/TPTB see that a villain has gotten popular, they go way overboard and have them take over the show. I feel like he is just taking up too much screen time now, and I'm really disappointed that he merged with Luke. They've always got to try to give villains a soft side! Ugh. In fact, the only Gemini coven family member that I liked at all was Luke and now...basically I just want Liv(who I think is a pretty dang bad actress) and whatsherface - the doctor - to leave, and take Tyler(who has nothing to do) with them.

Liz's death WAS sad. But I think they have drawn the storyline out a little too long, with having that false alarm, and then doing the same thing over again 2 episodes later.

Anyway, I still watch every episode, but I'm basically as disgruntled as ever. I still enjoy it, don't get me wrong. There are just countless things I wish they were doing differently.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 491 Posts

I am definitely enjoying Season 6 a lot more than Season 5. Season 5 felt like a big mess, honestly, because they had so many storylines going on at once. I totally agree with everything you said, @Cori... I especially agree with the Stefan/Caroline romance. Since Season 4, I've been thinking about them as a couple. At first I REALLY wanted Caroline to be with Klaus, but the more I watch them together, the more I am falling in love with Steroline. And yes, it's so nice to see a Stefan that doesn't think about Elena all the time.

I am super sad that Jeremy has left the show. I hope he'll come back. I love me some Jeremy Gilbert. Especially Bonnie + Jeremy together!!

And speaking of, I am so pissed that they've taken so long to bring Bonnie back! WTH, man... It's like they don't even care that she's stuck over there. I really love Damon and Bonnie's friendship, so I hope they'll still be close when she comes back.

I love Kai. He's so psychotic, and it's funny... That guy a great actor to play him the way he does. One minute you're cracking up at something he said, thinking "This guy is hilarious! I love him!" and the next he'll say something totally evil and crazy and you're gasping, going "WHOA, that guy has to go!" I hope the merge won't end up making him uninteresting, either...

I freaking hate Liv, and I've ALWAYS hated Tyler. I wouldn't be sad if they wrote them off and never ever mentioned them again. Liv is annoying as hell, and Tyler is about as useless as tits on a man. Get rid of them already.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HisMRS For This Useful Post:

Cori (16-02-15)

Thanks

6.15 "Let Her Go"

Wow what an emotional rollercoaster! On the one hand I thought this was one of the best episodes of this already excellent season. On the other hand, there were two things that I found absolutely infuriating: the way Steroline was written and Caroline flipping her humanity switch. But more on that below, I first wanna focus on the things that made this such a fantastic episode.

Things I liked:

• The Bamon reunion! I'm not gonna lie, this was the absolute highlight of the episode for me. This was utterly perfect writing so kudos to Julie Plec for that. I loved that the first thing Bonnie did when she got back was go to the Salvatore house, make pancakes and wait for Damon. I loved Damon's reaction when he saw Bonnie, his huge grin and how he opened his arms to her. And I loved how Bonnie jumped into his arms and hugged him with her arms and legs. And how they just kept on hugging and hugging, not wanting to let go. Later when Bonnie showed Damon her video camera footage, I loved their bickering. So glad that Bonnie is back and we will get to see more of the Bamon friendship!

• The funeral was very sad but also very poignant. I loved Damon's eulogy (glad he took Elena's advice and focused on Caroline and what she needed to hear), the last call and Caroline's song (wow Candice Accola has a beautiful voice)! I also appreciated Matt keeping a drunk Tyler away from the funeral, he was right Caroline did not deserve that.

• The shot in the Salvatore living room of all of Caroline's friends sleeping there and being there for her.

• Stefan's love epiphany when Caroline sang her song at the funeral and coming to the conclusion that a relationship with Caroline might be something even better than what he had with Katherine and Elena! I'm also glad that, despite giving him contrary advice earlier on, Damon accepted this and sent Stefan off to see Caroline.

• All the Defan scenes, both the flashbacks and the scenes in the present time! Seeing young Stefan cry at his mother's funeral was heartbreaking and I loved that present day Damon admitted to letting Stefan down at their mother's funeral.

• Stefan: "Something happened between Caroline and me."
      Damon: "Ooh, finally!"

• The appearance of Mama Salvatore! I suspected she might turn up sooner or later after she was mentioned several times in the last few episodes but I had no idea she would be played by Annie Wersching, which is awesome! I'm very curious to find out why Mama Salvatore was in a prison world and why she was stuck in 1903 (when she should be long dead by then) and how she had pictures of adult Stefan and Damon. My guess is she is a witch who did something evil and that's why she got put into a prison world. But maybe I'm just biased because Annie Wersching recently played an evil character on "Castle".

• Elena actually being a good friend for once and not her usual self-centered self. She was even the one to figure out that something was off with Caroline. More of this Elena please, she is actually bearable.

• Alaric and Jo getting engaged and becoming parents! Anyone wanna bet that Jo is expecting twins?

• Damon trying to reach out to Caroline, both in the Salvatore kitchen and in his eulogy at the funeral. I get that those two can never become friends after what he did to her in season 1 but I'm glad that they are at least on somewhat friendly terms.

• The flashbacks of young Caroline and Liz!

• No Enzo!!!

• As much as I hate Caroline's decision to flip her humanity switch (see below), I did agree with her that it was her choice to make and not Elena's.

• I liked that Elena admitted that turning her humanity off after Jeremy died and having Alaric compel her love for Damon away were two of the biggest mistakes of her life.

Things I didn't like:

• I hated Damon's whole "you've been in love twice, if this doesn't feel exactly like that, then it must not be love!" thing! Thanks for that, Julie Plec! Steroline is a much different relationship than Stelena or Stefan/Katherine. Stefan and Caroline became friends first, their relationship was a slow burn, of course it would feel differently to Stefan. At least Stefan realised in the end that what he could have with Caroline could be even better. Unfortunately, Stefan's realisation came too late with respect to Caroline flipping her humanity switch.

• Caroline flipping her humanity switch! Why oh why, writers? Haven't we already been through this countless times with Damon, Stefan and Elena? Yes Caroline is a vampire with more self-control than the other three but I'm not convinced that she will behave differently with her humanity off. I get why she did it, hearing the pain in her voice and seeing it on her face in that last scene with Elena broke my heart and if I were in her position, I'm not sure I wouldn't have made the same decision. Still, it sucks because it's just recycled storytelling and I hate seeing one of my favourite characters turned into a soulless evil being. Let's hope Stefan will be the one to bring her back from this and get her to switch her humanity back on.

What did you guys make of this week's very sad episode?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cori For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (23-02-15)

Thanks

The Bamon hug at the end was the highlight for me. Kat and Ian have such good chemistry, the hug felt very natural. Can't wait to see more from them.

The other highlight for me was the first scene, the flashback with Liz and Caroline. The acknowledgement that you just always need your Mom really resonated with me. So sad.

I thought Candice did a good job with Caroline in this episode..I bought it. I was disappointed that they made her turning off her emotions at all about SC. I know it was primarily about her Mom, but they made it seem like if Stefan had said I love you or something, she wouldn't have flipped the switch. As someone who has lost a parent, I just don't think that would be your focus. At all. The funeral day is a total blur and you can hardly even remember who was there, let alone what they did or didn't say. That is just my experience, though.

Cori, I think you and I are just seeing this season differently. I thought the fact that Stefan suddenly had this epiphany about Caroline because Damon said she was wonderful and extraordinary was kind of lame. And I thought the line that "this might be something better" was lame, lame, LAME. Sorry. I know what Julie Plec was going for, I understand that she is saying that Elena and Katherine(if he ever actually loved her) were kind of a more immature, love-at-first-sight type of love. And Caroline could potentially be something longer lasting, because it is built on friendship. What annoys me though, is that on this show they always seem to have to invalidate whatever relationships came before in order to make the new relationship seem better. I felt like they were making SE seem like they were nothing but puppy love, when previously the show has already proven that it was much more than that. So I don't know what the point was in doing that, except to promote SC. I don't approve of their methods! They could build up SC without trying to trash SE.

Anyway, I don't think JP was trying to say that is what she actually wants the audience to believe about love ("if it doesn't feel exactly like that, it isn't love" thing). I think she was saying that Stefan and Damon have never experienced the "other kind" of love before, so they don't recognize it. They were never confused about their feelings for Katherine or Elena. Caroline is different. And obviously, if they ever did Bamon(which I don't actually think they will), his feelings for her would be more similar to Stefan's for Caroline. Judging from JP's interviews about SC, I think she views them as a more mature romantic relationship. I just don't like how they went about developing it.

I do agree about the flipped humanity switch being a overused storyline. I hope she doesn't meet up with Enzo during this time, or dirtiness my ensue!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BloodyHell For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (23-02-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 720 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cori
    Caroline flipping her humanity switch! Why oh why, writers? Haven't we already been through this countless times with Damon, Stefan and Elena? Yes Caroline is a vampire with more self-control than the other three but I'm not convinced that she will behave differently with her humanity off. I get why she did it, hearing the pain in her voice and seeing it on her face in that last scene with Elena broke my heart and if I were in her position, I'm not sure I wouldn't have made the same decision. Still, it sucks because it's just recycled storytelling and I hate seeing one of my favourite characters turned into a soulless evil being. Let's hope Stefan will be the one to bring her back from this and get her to switch her humanity back on.
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyHell View Post
    I thought Candice did a good job with Caroline in this episode..I bought it. I was disappointed that they made her turning off her emotions at all about SC. I know it was primarily about her Mom, but they made it seem like if Stefan had said I love you or something, she wouldn't have flipped the switch. As someone who has lost a parent, I just don't think that would be your focus. At all. The funeral day is a total blur and you can hardly even remember who was there, let alone what they did or didn't say. That is just my experience, though.

I do agree about the flipped humanity switch being a overused storyline. I hope she doesn't meet up with Enzo during this time, or dirtiness my ensue!
    I didnt think it was about Stefan not saying I love you. He really let me down when she asked what category he wanted to be in and he didnt respond about being in the one where they were able to be honest with each other...you know, the real friend category. One of my favorite Stefan/Caroline moments is S5 Ep 4 where Stefan has lost his memory and they are in the crypt together and he admits that he knows that she has been there for him, appreciates her honesty, and vows to do the same. And now, this one sad day, which Damon promises would be easy because she would be surrounded by people, Caroline needed him as a friend and he couldnt be there for her. He didnt even sit next to her at the funeral. Matt did, who she barely talks to on the show of late.

Elena has never been a good friend in the sense of listening and understanding a person. Elena has lost six parental figures plus her brother to death, this is very much a process for her at this point. And she has always had Stefan, Damon, and Caroline there to support her. She doesnt recognize how unique this loss is to Caroline and how alone Caroline feels. Or at least Elena doesnt express this to Caroline. So Caroline has lost Bonnie, Elena wants to talk more about her own experiences with coping than listen, Stefan cant even tell her that he is her friend first, and Damon, of all people, seems most in tune with her. So, in part, Caroline turned it off because she felt alone.

The other part is that Caroline has lived her life trying to live up to expectations of others. From townspeople and the scandal of her father, to being being the wellbehaved daughter of the sheriff, to her parents not accepting her as a vampire (and her friends since even Bonnie and Elena thought she die at first), and generally just always being second to Elena from school activities to the Salvatore brothers. I mean Damon bodily and mentally raped her because he couldnt get close to Elena in S1. And now Stefan is acting as if he is backing off from their openness. Caroline now has no one she feels has to be reliable and perfect for.

Caroline has such control because of all those expectations, so I fully expect her to mess up. I think getting with Enzo is a guarantee. I'm not happy about it, but Enzo at least acts like Caroline is special and not just a familiar old shirt. As long as she doesnt kill anyone, it could be good for her to break out and let loose. Stefan has taken her for granted. He needs to recognize what it is like to not have Caroline and fight for her.

I love Stefan/Caroline but this season has been kind of a disappointment for me. I thought S5 did a far beautiful job capturing the chemistry and bond they have. This season started with Stefan ignoring her and finding a new girlfriend (who Caroline graciously accepted). And of late, he has been acting in a way she cant tell if he is spending time with her out of guilt, pity, or just responsibility. I hope this switching is a catalyst for him to step up his game.

TVD recycles a lot of plots for characters. But I dont find using the switch to be recycled storytelling, it's an aspect of vampires in this show. I hope Caroline brings something new to it. Elena's switching was such a disappointment.

Lydia made the punch!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

BloodyHell (23-02-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlwyen View Post
    I didnt think it was about Stefan not saying I love you. He really let me down when she asked what category he wanted to be in and he didnt respond about being in the one where they were able to be honest with each other...you know, the real friend category. One of my favorite Stefan/Caroline moments is S5 Ep 4 where Stefan has lost his memory and they are in the crypt together and he admits that he knows that she has been there for him, appreciates her honesty, and vows to do the same. And now, this one sad day, which Damon promises would be easy because she would be surrounded by people, Caroline needed him as a friend and he couldnt be there for her. He didnt even sit next to her at the funeral. Matt did, who she barely talks to on the show of late.
    Well, I do think it is dumb that Stefan hasn't sorted out where he stands with Caroline by now, but I could empathize with him not knowing what "category" to put himself in right then. I don't think Caroline wanted to hear that he is her friend or that he will always be there for her..she already knows that. She wanted to hear something more. And at that moment, for whatever dumb reason, Stefan wasn't ready to say anything beyond that, so he delayed the conversation all together. He thought he was going to hurt her by telling the truth, and he didn't want to hurt her anymore on that day. And yet, of course, he ended up hurting her more by his indecision.

I totally agree though that hopefully Stefan has got his head on straight now and will step up his game for Caroline. Otherwise, I'm kind of over it. I don't want to see anymore waffling. I've been let down this season as well with how they chose to pursue SC. I thought they did a better job with that last season(as poor as the season was, overall).

Thanks

6.17 "A Bird in a Gilded Cage"

So what did everyone think of this week's episode? I both liked and disliked it. Specifically I liked all things Bonnie and Damon and did not like the direction Steroline is headed even if their onscreen chemistry is making me swoon. Plus the cure is making a comeback. Why oh why, writers? I really hated this storyline in season 4 and I'm not sure the writers will manage to make it any more interesting this time around.

I loved Bonnie and Damon scheming to put Kai in the 1903 prison world. Now I like Kai, he is a very entertaining villain and I hope that's not the last we have seen of him but he really deserved that for everything he did to Bonnie. I liked how Damon got Bonnie's need for revenge (but then he would) and helped her achieve it. I also like seeing this darker badass side of Bonnie and I hope she got some closure now.

Glad we got to meet Mama Salvatore and she is not quite as ripper-like as expected. Her creepy vampire family had better stay in the prison world though but knowing how this show operates I'm sure there will be a reason sooner or later to bring them over to our time. I loved that Damon was all about getting Stefan to turn his humanity back on and how he referred to him as his family when his mother seemed to prefer her new family to her own kids. Damon greeting Lilly with "hello, mother" just like he greeted Stefan ("hello, brother") in the pilot made me squee. Ian Somerhalder even pronounced it very similarly. That was a nice touch. I also liked how throughout the episode Damon tried to fight how much seeing his mother again affected him. He tried to be all cool and detached but there were these glimpses throughout that told another story.

Elena once again got on my nerves in this episode. Her whole "meeting the mother of my two epic loves" line was so self-centered and annoying. I loved that Bonnie interrupted the Delena make-out session, that made me laugh. I used to be a big Delena shipper but these days I think self-centered Elena is not good enough for Damon, he deserves someone better.

I love Bonnie but why did she have to bring back the damn cure from 1994? I mean, I love that out of all the vampires she gave it to Damon because I love their friendship. Although her reasoning might have been slightly flawed. Her mother is happy as a vampire, really? Not sure if Elena might benefit from becoming a human being again. That would make her the damsel in distress again who would have to be saved every five seconds and I really do not want to see that again. Caroline became a much better and more interesting character as a vampire and I'm positive that the gang will manage to get her to turn her humanity back on eventually. Stefan and Damon would probably die from old age just like Katherine did. So I'm really not sure to whom Damon should give the cure. I just hope that the whole cure storyline won't be as mindnumbingly boring as it was in season 4.

I cannot deny that I'm not a big fan of the whole humanity-less Caroline storyline. And now Stefan's switched his off too, which I find even more boring. Been there, done that. Plus humanity-less Stefan is always such a di'ck. I know Paul Wesley enjoys playing evil ripper Stefan so he must be thrilled but I really could have done without it. It's just lazy writing, so repetitive and unoriginal. Plus now Stefan made Caroline lose control as well and while I appreciated seeing them kiss and have sex because these scenes were shot beautifully and Paul and Candace just oozed chemistry, I don't appreciate that the first time Caroline and Stefan had sex was while they both had their humanity switch turned off. It takes something away from this momentuous occasion and as someone who has been falling more and more for Steroline, I feel cheated. I really hope that this no humanity storyline won't go on much longer and the guilt afterwards won't tear Steroline apart.

Now I cannot wait for Stefan to see his mother again! I just hope Damon and Elena are right and this will really be the emotional trigger forcing Stefan to turn his humanity back on. Of course, seeing that this is TVD, the whole plan could backfire horribly and Stefan could end up tempting Lilly to become a ripper again.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,633 Posts

I thought it was pretty lame to bring the cure back, but I'm not sure that they shouldn't go ahead give it to Elena. Maybe if the main character was human again, the show too would regain its humanity? It's a given that it has to be given to one of the very recently turned vampires, or the whole accelerated aging thing is an issue. My prediction? Caroline never flips her switch back on, she gets the cure forced on her.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 720 Posts

I was behind to see Downward Spiral, needed a week to process, and finally saw Bird in a Guilded Cage. This episode was a mixed bag for me. Not as good as I hoped, not as bad as feared.

I have been full-on-let's-make-this-happen-!-Caroline/Stefan for the last two seasons. The show is finally at a point where the relationship should be its most intoxicating. Yet, I'm not feeling the connection beneath the actions like I did last year. I can explain away my lack of connection to the kiss at the cabin due to the underlying plot that Stefan actually was indecisive about Caroline. I can accept that Caroline really made a bad choice to "switch" which made his guilt and need to quickly turn her back undercut the truth of what he was saying to her at the rave. But I am extremely disappointed that the show made Stefan's choice to "switch" under the duress of Sarah's life. I knew going into Downward Spiral Stefan would "switch". I had hoped it was a choice he did made purposely in hopes of saving Caroline. Instead it could truly be revenge and anger (that he was forced to switch) that is driving his actions in Gilded Cage. For me, that fear really tempered the onscreen chemistry these two have. Because the Steroline we have had on screen the past several episodes can't be the apex of their relationship. I will be very upset if when they "switch" back if these times break them rather than pull them together. So with that last hope of how to interpret their relationship, I rewatched the episode.

Perhaps what overwhelmingly impressed Stefan and Caroline about each other was actually what kept them apart. To Caroline, Stefan is her savior. Everyone was voting for her death when she woke up a vampire. Stefan was the only one to say that she could possibly be a functional vampire. Even Caroline wasn't sure she could do it. Ultimately, Caroline excelled. Downward Spiral was the pinnacle of showing how she perfectly could control herself. While Stefan is the polar opposite of control. It has to be demoralizing to realize that Caroline can be so perfect using his own strategies while he is always on the verge of teetering off into ripperdom even with his switch on.

Instead of revenge, I am hoping Stefan's jealousy of her control is what is motivating him at the beginning of the episode. It would make sense that he desires seeing her fail in an attempt to make his own insecurities not so overwhelming.

Since Caroline's own logic keeps her grounded while switched off, it must be hard for to understand how another person can't be as logical. Especially Stefan who helped teach her. She needs to realize that Stefan isn't perfect and that his ripper is truly something for him to be afraid of. She's spent years cheerleading Stefan as being perfect over Damon. For her to see and mutually understand how his ripper exhibits is a pretty vulnerable aspect. In that regard, this experience is an intimacy Stefan couldn't have shared with her otherwise. Everyone goes into a relationship thinking the other is perfect. But those beautiful walls have to be torn down and rebuilt upon raw truths.

And maybe that is the truth of the title. These lies of perfection that Stefan and Caroline surround themselves with to protect themselves and others.

Season 2's "By the Light of the Moon" where Caroline and Tyler connect over how they are forsaken monsters as Tyler turns and Caroline tries to comfort him was a high point of the series and made them an important ship to me. I would be happy to have Caroline and Stefan be able to similarly bond over how the monsters in them do not define them. Lexie did an amazing job bandaging Stefan and bringing him to the person he is on the show. I would LOVE for Caroline to be able to help build him up and better heal him so that the two aspects of himself are not so disparate. Lexie helped Stefan. Stefan helped Caroline out of that gratitude. It would feel full circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cori View Post
    I loved Bonnie and Damon scheming to put Kai in the 1903 prison world. Now I like Kai, he is a very entertaining villain and I hope that's not the last we have seen of him but he really deserved that for everything he did to Bonnie. I liked how Damon got Bonnie's need for revenge (but then he would) and helped her achieve it. I also like seeing this darker badass side of Bonnie and I hope she got some closure now.
    Bonnie and Damon REALLY need to continue this friendship. Not that Bonnie needs to be dark, but they have always been at such odds, it is good to see there is a degree of trust between them. I am glad Bonnie got her revenge. And honestly, it wasn't that dark. Kai was supposed to be in a prison world so leaving him there was almost righting a wrong. And if Kai was in real danger from vampires, he'd already be dead from being in Mystic Falls. I feel bad for the Luke portion of Kai but I don't see any reason to expect this prison time to be anything but temporary.

I enjoy Kai, so I look forward to his return. He's been such an unstable element which the show needs.

Glad we got to meet Mama Salvatore and she is not quite as ripper-like as expected. Her creepy vampire family had better stay in the prison world though but knowing how this show operates I'm sure there will be a reason sooner or later to bring them over to our time. I loved that Damon was all about getting Stefan to turn his humanity back on and how he referred to him as his family when his mother seemed to prefer her new family to her own kids. Damon greeting Lilly with "hello, mother" just like he greeted Stefan ("hello, brother") in the pilot made me squee. Ian Somerhalder even pronounced it very similarly. That was a nice touch. I also liked how throughout the episode Damon tried to fight how much seeing his mother again affected him. He tried to be all cool and detached but there were these glimpses throughout that told another story.

Elena once again got on my nerves in this episode. Her whole "meeting the mother of my two epic loves" line was so self-centered and annoying. I loved that Bonnie interrupted the Delena make-out session, that made me laugh. I used to be a big Delena shipper but these days I think self-centered Elena is not good enough for Damon, he deserves someone better.
    I'm glad you mentioned that! It was so completely an Elena quote. It was awkward, but I chuckle when she is that obviously self-centered. Speaking of Elena's mundane storyline of digging into her boyfriends' childhood, I wish the picture of Damon she had found had shown him to be goofy. I would have loved a reveal that he had grown into his attractiveness.

Damon always deserved someone better than Elena. But Damon deserves to have who he wants to want him back. So I am very happy for Damon to finally have this in his life. Seeing how his mother also favored Stefan over him really salts this wound of Damon's for me.

I don't think I paid attention to that "hello, mother!" oh: I will have to rewatch it. I was definitely struck how all of Damon's old defenses were in place though. It's amazing to consider how far Damon has come even without it seeming so drastic until an encounter like this. I about died when he finally understood that his mother did not care about either of her children and told her that Stefan was his brother and would do anything for him. This really cut to the original heart of the show. Despite their differences and jealousies, there was extreme love.

This extreme love despite reasons to dislike each other is what motivates outsiders like Klaus and Enzo to be so attached to their respective Salvatore brothers. Each wishing to have that connection while jealous of the brother who seems so callous of it. Although I hate Enzo's choice to snipe Stefan, I understand this motivation. It was cute to see Enzo connect with Alaric like a mini-Damon, underlining their similarity. While Enzo's end reveal to Sarah that she was Salvatore was obviously calculated, I do like to hope that it is a different endgame he has now. Hopefully some of the stuff of Ric's that he repeated was truthfully said.

On another note, I must say how much I appreciated Enzo being disinterested in switched off Caroline in the previous episode. It showed a much likable character than the one we usually see on the show. It was also quite a different initial infatuation than anyone else has on the show for her. Matt because she was human and not aware/ deceiving him like others were, Tyler because she saw good in him and shared a strength against being a victim in life, Klaus because he loves beautiful complexity (and a desire to possess or corrupt), Stefan for her friendship. Enzo is the only one to only know her as the adult she is without any knowledge of her high school persona coloring her. It's validating for me to have a character come to the show and like her for who she is becoming instead of who she was. I do not remotely ship it, just that it makes me like his character.

I love Bonnie but why did she have to bring back the damn cure from 1994? I mean, I love that out of all the vampires she gave it to Damon because I love their friendship. Although her reasoning might have been slightly flawed. Her mother is happy as a vampire, really? Not sure if Elena might benefit from becoming a human being again. That would make her the damsel in distress again who would have to be saved every five seconds and I really do not want to see that again. Caroline became a much better and more interesting character as a vampire and I'm positive that the gang will manage to get her to turn her humanity back on eventually. Stefan and Damon would probably die from old age just like Katherine did. So I'm really not sure to whom Damon should give the cure. I just hope that the whole cure storyline won't be as mindnumbingly boring as it was in season 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    I thought it was pretty lame to bring the cure back, but I'm not sure that they shouldn't go ahead give it to Elena. Maybe if the main character was human again, the show too would regain its humanity? It's a given that it has to be given to one of the very recently turned vampires, or the whole accelerated aging thing is an issue. My prediction? Caroline never flips her switch back on, she gets the cure forced on her.
    I was surprisingly impressed the writers found this way to bring another cure to the show. It was pretty smart and well hinted to earlier with the map, but I didn't see it coming. The first who-gets-the-cure plotline was horrible. That being said, now, the cure seems more of a weapon than a gift. If I was Damon, I don't know how excited I would be to holding a poison lethal to him and his brother.

Giving it to Elena is like a series finale episode thing for me. Besides, the worst part of the previous cure plotline was how it was being forced upon Elena without her wanting it.

I feel the show has a lot of humanity. And I don't think that Elena was ever the center of humanity on the show. The whole show used to revolve around her. But humanity isn't about life and people revolving around you. I'm not saying Elena is selfish, just that the show and characters gave her little opportunity to show her perceiving the world through something other than how things affected her. I have enjoyed Season 6 allowing characters to explore themselves apart from their connection to Elena. I feel that has allowed a lot of realness into the characters. Also, the story of Liz was extremely humanistic for many characters.

Giving Caroline the cure would be like the worst thing to do for the show. She is the character that most people state that becoming vampire improved her for them. Caroline has no human relatives. It would be cruel to make her human. Her character arc on the show has been about accepting the death of child fantasies and acceptance of the reality of world situations.

I hope the show doesn't focus on Damon asking Elena about taking the cure. Even proposing it to her might destroy their relationship. She believes he loves her for her, not the ideal that being human might be. I'm not saying he should lie or not offer, but it needs to be well said.

I think it would be more interesting to give it to Lilly Salvatore after she eventually goes ripper. Katherine connected with her motherly self after the cure. It could be interesting to compare/contrast how Lilly connects to her sons. (Or repetitive.)

What would be gratuitously awesome for Steroline fans is if the cure is given to the girl they left bleeding in the hallway. She had Caroline's blood in her and will have the opportunity to be vampire. At this point, it would make the college drama teacher their only casualty. (And I don't discount the meta possibility that those behind the show may have had drama teachers that they didn't like and enjoyed the catharsis of seeing one die. ) Giving it to that girl would allow Stefan and Caroline to better move on from this time once they have turned the switch back on.

Honestly, I don't trust the cure. It was meant to hurt Silas. Turning old and dying could easily be part of the natural course of the cure. We just assume Katherine's reaction was because she had lived much longer than a human. Which doesn't really make sense that the cure only slowly aged her over 6 months instead of immediately.

I cannot deny that I'm not a big fan of the whole humanity-less Caroline storyline. And now Stefan's switched his off too, which I find even more boring. Been there, done that. Plus humanity-less Stefan is always such a di'ck. I know Paul Wesley enjoys playing evil ripper Stefan so he must be thrilled but I really could have done without it. It's just lazy writing, so repetitive and unoriginal. Plus now Stefan made Caroline lose control as well and while I appreciated seeing them kiss and have sex because these scenes were shot beautifully and Paul and Candace just oozed chemistry, I don't appreciate that the first time Caroline and Stefan had sex was while they both had their humanity switch turned off. It takes something away from this momentuous occasion and as someone who has been falling more and more for Steroline, I feel cheated. I really hope that this no humanity storyline won't go on much longer and the guilt afterwards won't tear Steroline apart.

Now I cannot wait for Stefan to see his mother again! I just hope Damon and Elena are right and this will really be the emotional trigger forcing Stefan to turn his humanity back on. Of course, seeing that this is TVD, the whole plan could backfire horribly and Stefan could end up tempting Lilly to become a ripper again.
    I think Lilly is still a ripper. She has just been faced with certain death/dessication or to survive on a diminished amount. I do not believe that she has any motivation to remain on such a restricted diet. Especially when she realizes no one wants to rescue her ripper family.

I know what you mean about there being something disappointing that their first time was while they had their humanity switch off. I am trying to think of it as in the future, there will be a first time with their humanity switch ON. When I ponder on it, having sex without their switches on means that each of them desire each other no social pressures are responsible. Because Stefan has doubted if he is really attracted to her, he has no excuse to himself now. He has pursued her at the point he cares the least about anything. And Caroline also needed to know he wasn't pity-interested in her.

I don't feel all is lost. I hope they are able to bring Stefan and Caroline back soon.

Lydia made the punch!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehlwyen For This Useful Post:

Cori (29-03-15)

Thanks

6.20: "I'd Leave My Happy Home For You": Holy crap, Elena is human again! That did happen rather quickly. But I guess what with Nina Dobrev leaving the show, they wanted to write an exit that actually makes sense. I so do not want Damon to become human, I think he is going to be miserable. I just hope that they won't drag this whole "will or won't he become human" storyline out for the next two episodes. Plus as far as I know, Ian Somerhalder will be in season 7 and I just don't think that a whole season of human Damon will be all that interesting. I was glad that human Elena did not immediately become the damsel in distress again but was proactive and fought back against Lilly. I also loved that Elena got all her Damon memories back so we can finally pretend this stupid memory wipe storyline has never happened.

I had to laugh about the difference between the bachelor and the bachelorette parties! Damon and Stefan threw Ric a huge bash whereas Jo's party guests only consisted of Elena and Bonnie. I get why Caroline was not there (although it sucked that we didn't get to see her at all in this week's episode!) but does Jo not have any other friends? Friends or colleagues her own age? You cannot tell me that she is not friendly with any other female doctors and/or nurses at the hospital. That was just sad. And of course she is expecting twins! I had to laugh at how surprised Jo and Ric were when it was clear to me (and many TVD fans) right from the start that she would have twins. I'm glad that Alaric listened to Matt's drunk advice and decided to leave Mystic Falls. However, what I don't get is why Matt doesn't take his own advice. He is clearly miserable in Mystic Falls surrounded by all that killing and all those vampires. But no, he prefers to whine and get drunk instead of getting the hell out of Dodge, I don't get it. And hey, Matt, when Tyler of all people tells you to cut back on your drinking, maybe you should listen.

I'm so happy and relieved that Bamon are friends again, even if it happened offscreen and Damon technically does not deserve Bonnie's forgiveness after the stuff he pulled in the last few episodes. I loved Elena's stunned reaction when Bonnie told her that Damon called her and told her what happened. I think Elena does not get how close Damon and Bonnie became in 1994. I just wish that in the remaining episodes of this season we got to see more Bamon friendship scenes that actually happen onscreen.

The brotherly relationship is the one I care most about on this show so I was dismayed and disappointed that Damon did not tell Stefan in person that he planned to become human with Elena. That Stefan had to learn this news from Enzo of all people was especially bitter. However, maybe Damon did not have the guts to tell Stefan because he knew once he told Stefan there was no going back and maybe Damon is not as sure about turning human as he says he is. Stefan and Damon have been vampires together for so long, I can understand how devastated Stefan must feel to "lose" his brother this way.

So what did you guys think of this week's episode? Are you happy that Elena is human again? Do you want Damon to become human as well or do you wish he stayed a vampire? How exactly will Elena be written out of the show?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cori For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (28-05-15),Rosely (01-05-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,633 Posts

I'm getting this sinking feeling that, rather than just having not brought up the whole "if Damon takes the cure he's going to go the way of Katherine in pretty short order" problem yes, the show is instead just handwaving it away with total contempt for the notion of plot continuity. That cure let's him and Elena enjoy a few months together as humans. Would seem a shame not to offer any extra to Caroline who could actually go on with her life as a human with typical life expectancy if she was interested rather than burn it off as a slow-motion suicide for Damon.

I sympathize with Matt's general worldview and think he's despondent because, while he has basically decided he's on the Founder's Council, he also realizes he is the Founder's Council, and that trying to watch out for that town's human population from supernatural threats is as thankless a job as there will ever be in the world, and he's basically looking at doing it alone. But I'm no fan of drunken self-pity, either. Alaric, council member sorta, just demonstrated it is possible to say "screw this" and leave without being a bad person. So Matt is free to take that option as well.

Alaric, human again, Tyler, human again with untriggered werewolf curse, Elena human again... pretty sure all they are missing is Caroline and they'll have gotten everybody back to Season 1 status except for Bonnie (super witch vs. tormentor of car-wash bitch) and Jeremy (hunter unless plot requires him to be helpless). Almost feels like a final season, not just a final Elena season.

Banner by LRae12

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (28-05-15)

Thanks

I think the season finale was pretty fitting. I liked it.

I'll put it in spoilertags, just to be safe.
    Spoiler:
    At the first glance of it I was afraid they would have Elena die, but I'm happy with the solution they chose. And was happy even Damon understood that killing Bonnie was not an option
    I loved how they all said goodbye to her, and especially the dance with Damon at the ending. That was so beautiful, I loved it.

Kai suddenly being dead by hands of Damon, that was nifty! Funny that he believed that Damon would just go away like that, and a bit unbelievable that all mighty Kai wouldn't feel Damon coming. But well, it worked

They actually killed Jo! I guess they didn't know what to do with all these extra characters? Wanted them all gone? Poor Ric

What was with the ending? Did they skip forward time a couple of years? Was Damon watching over the town or destroying it?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosely For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (28-05-15)

Thanks

I don't think we need the spoiler tags, the season finale aired in the US on Thursday and this is the season 6 thread after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosely View Post
    I think the season finale was pretty fitting. I liked it.
    Yes I liked it as well. All those goodbye scenes turned me into a sobbing mess, so well done, Show. Every individual goodbye scene felt so personal and special, the writers really did a good job with these scenes.

All the Delena haters are of course saying that it was a cheap shot that Elena didn't die because it leaves the chance for a happy Delena ending down the road (should Nina decide to return for the series finale) but personally, I was also glad that Elena did not die. It was kinda cruel of the writers to link Elena's life to Bonnie's by magic but I'm glad that for once Bonnie didn't martyr herself for one of her friends. I'm also happy beyond words that Damon did not save Elena by killing Bonnie, something he would have done in a heartbeat in earlier seasons. It just goes to show how much the Bamon friendship has grown this season and I love that. I mean, even Elena calls Bonnie Damon's best friend now.

I loved how they all said goodbye to her, and especially the dance with Damon at the ending. That was so beautiful, I loved it.
    Agreed! I'm no longer a hardcore Delena shipper but that scene warmed my heart.

Another scene that made me squee was Stefan admitting that he actually needed Damon more than Elena. Defan bromance FTW! Let's hope next season will be full of brotherly goodness.

Kai suddenly being dead by hands of Damon, that was nifty! Funny that he believed that Damon would just go away like that, and a bit unbelievable that all mighty Kai wouldn't feel Damon coming. But well, it worked
    The Damon killing Kai scene was pretty gruesome for the CW. As much as I liked Kai as a villain and found him very entertaining, it was time for him to go and I love that it was Damon who killed him. I was starting to hope that Tyler's werewolf bite would kill him but of course I should have counted on Kai using his siphoning magic to cure the bite. Speaking of which, poor Tyler, turning into a werewolf again! Oh well it was either that or dying so I can understand his choice. However, it's pretty sad after he tried to escape that fate so completely. With Michael Trevino leaving as well, I will just imagine that Tyler took Elena's words to heart and found a way to cope with his werewolf side and leads an otherwise happy life.

They actually killed Jo! I guess they didn't know what to do with all these extra characters? Wanted them all gone? Poor Ric
    That was one of the things that actually annoyed me in this season finale, the fact that nobody even mentioned Jo's death (and the death of her twins). Poor Ric seemed to be the only one grieving. I get that the other characters had their hands full dealing with Kai, Lilly, etc. but they should have at least included one line about Jo.

What was with the ending? Did they skip forward time a couple of years? Was Damon watching over the town or destroying it?
    Yup they fast forwarded time (not sure how much, but it must at least be a few years if Matt is the sheriff now). As for Damon, I think that's exactly the mystery the writers tried to set up for season 7. Will Damon get unhinged without Elena and start killing again? Or will he become a town protector? Did he stay in Mystic Falls all this time or did he only just return to town? I'm very curious to find out the answers to these questions and what else the writers have in store for season 7.

While I will miss seeing Nina Dobrev on the show, I thought this was a fitting farewell episode and as long as the Salvatore brothers are part of the show, I will continue watching. What about you guys? Will you watch season 7 or is this it for you?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cori For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (28-05-15),Rosely (18-05-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cori View Post
    That was one of the things that actually annoyed me in this season finale, the fact that nobody even mentioned Jo's death (and the death of her twins). Poor Ric seemed to be the only one grieving. I get that the other characters had their hands full dealing with Kai, Lilly, etc. but they should have at least included one line about Jo.
    Very true!
    I must admit that I found the whole twin storyline far fetched. And Kais death meaning everyone would die.. I did think all that time: what is all the friggin' fuss about.. It still all didn't make any sense. And it's a shame about Jo and Ric
    I won't miss Liv though, annoying kid.

Yup they fast forwarded time (not sure how much, but it must at least be a few years if Matt is the sheriff now). As for Damon, I think that's exactly the mystery the writers tried to set up for season 7. Will Damon get unhinged without Elena and start killing again? Or will he become a town protector? Did he stay in Mystic Falls all this time or did he only just return to town? I'm very curious to find out the answers to these questions and what else the writers have in store for season 7.
    Yeah me too! It looked like he was town protector, but the neighbourhood really went down, or they took a bad street on purpose.. weird.
    While I will miss seeing Nina Dobrev on the show, I thought this was a fitting farewell episode and as long as the Salvatore brothers are part of the show, I will continue watching. What about you guys? Will you watch season 7 or is this it for you?
    Me too! She's so talented. And with her going from 4 characters to none... I suppose they totally sucked all the energy out of her with those extra doppleganger roles. I hope she returns for the finale though.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosely For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (28-05-15)