Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Grab a cuppa and join our Babbington's Chat

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 441 Posts

I personally think that it would be excellent if we just concentrate on one technique at a time because I want to see how people work individually and from that, we could all learn new principles of different styles. I'm very interested in this because in my experience you learn something new each day. The goal is for me to make it a place to learn and grow, but still adding that place of creativity.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Stoney (19-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,906 Posts

Sorry guys, this might be a daft question (my speciality)...do you use a dedicated graphics tablet (eg Wacom, Huion, XP-PEN) to create your art or do you work directly on the screen?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

buffylover (23-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,778 Times in 5,274 Posts

I don't think that's a daft question at all. I don't use a tablet although I do have a Wacom tablet that I keep meaning to find the time to work out how to use (it is theoretically my goal for this year and yet I still haven't got it out once so far). But I don't produce handdrawn fanart like Nina and buffylover do and I think I would definitely prefer to use the tablet for that. All the pieces that I do are done on my Macbook just using the trackpad and although that is really good for control/sensitivity I think I'd want the pen tool to hold if I was hand drawing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (23-05-19),TriBel (20-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,906 Posts

Ta Stoney!

I do have a Wacom tablet that I keep meaning to find the time to work out how to use (it is theoretically my goal for this year and yet I still haven't got it out once so far).
    Ha...I don't have one as yet but I do have a camera I spent hundreds of pounds on and "I keep meaning to find the time to work out how..."etc.etc. I'll work on the notion that a Wacom tablet can be bought for less than a Mac!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

buffylover (23-05-19),Stoney (20-05-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

So... how should I create this thread I'm confused on how.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

TriBel (23-05-19)

Thanks

Perhaps it would still be a new challenge thread but called something distinct like - 'Challenge 81 (Technical) : The Pen Tool' - or something like that. Nina may well have thoughts on what it should be called or if it needs to be kept separate from the main challenges. We need to decide whether we should find a basic tutorial we can all start from/discuss or if we need to find two even, a basic one and something more challenging/unusual using the same tool/technique as well because obviously some won't need to cover the basics. We also should consider if we want to agree an overall aim for what we are looking to produce, just like saying we'll make a character piece or some such, I don't know. I'm going to PM DD and Pricey to see if they're likely to join us and if they can pop in any thoughts.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (23-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 489 Posts

Sorry, didn't have time to reply until now! And this has to be quick too. I actually like the idea of a pen tool challenge because I literally never use it (not even sure where to find it TBH). Blending is something I tend to find challenging, so I'd be up for that too. Also, composition though I guess that's more artistic than technical.

@Tribel: yes I use a wacom tablet (would like to do a lot more with it though -- like actual painting and drawing which I never get around to).

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

buffylover (23-05-19),Stoney (23-05-19),TriBel (23-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,254 Posts

I don't have any strong feelings about how the thread should be called. As long it's in the challenges subforum, i'm cool with it.

About the challenge itself, I love the technical challenges idea. (As suggested, we can always google tutorials so nobody has to make one if there is no time. And I'm happy to try out a challenge thread with more chatting -as long it's about the challenge-) But I do fear a bit for the 'challenge' part if the challenges are about very basic techniques like the pen tool. I understand that it can be for people who never used the pen tool, but I use that thing every single time I use Photoshop. If that happens once, it's no problem. But if we continue with tools and techniques that are used often, it might become an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Sorry guys, this might be a daft question (my speciality)...do you use a dedicated graphics tablet (eg Wacom, Huion, XP-PEN) to create your art or do you work directly on the screen?

I work with my mouse when I make regular fanart (wallpapers, picspams etc.). I've a very basic Wacom tablet for digital drawing.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (25-05-19),Priceless (25-05-19),Stoney (25-05-19),TriBel (25-05-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

Oh, I like that idea Nina searching for a tutorials around the web there are loads I would like to do around Tumblr. We could just start from there? I just don't know how to set it up.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-05-19)

Thanks

Maybe we could start with making a list with tutorials/techniques? Then we can pick which one we want to do each month.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (26-05-19),Priceless (26-05-19),Stoney (26-05-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

That sounds great well to me anyways because I'm happy to do anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I think we should do the pen tool first, also I was searching for some tuts that might be worth doing the selection tool? and maybe do the basic stuff first because I don't mind doing them because I would like to help out.

I was thinking of we should create this thread like my banner/icon meme challenge thread. I personally think that would be smarter instead of creating sperate threads for each technique.

These are just thoughts?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-05-19),Stoney (26-05-19)

Thanks

I think the downside of having a rolling thread is finding what the latest challenge is for details/deadline, you have to search back in the thread rather than just looking at the first post. It's just quicker/easy if they're split I think.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (28-05-19)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

So who is creating this thread?

Thanks

I don't mind creating it but I think it would be good to link to at least a basic and a more advanced tutorial for inspiration/guidance. I can search around for these during this week and run by options for the more advanced but most will seem advanced to me so it might make more sense for either you or Nina to at least suggest a 'tougher' tutorial option, if there is one??

Thanks

I think it would make more sense to add requirements if we want to make a certain technique more advanced. Or maybe combine two techniques while the more beginner-friendly option only requires one of the two techniques.

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

That sounds great!

I found this tutorial {here} I'm not a fan of Ariana. btw.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Nina (29-05-19),Stoney (29-05-19)

Thanks

I think that's a great starting point and an interesting one for discussion as just having had a quick look at it I do things a little differently and discussing alternates and varying options is probably going to be one of the more interesting parts of discussion in a tutorial/technique based challenge. So are we saying we'll start the thread using the tutorial as the basic starting point and then add in one or two additional challenge requirement(s) as optional extras to meet for anyone who wants to add in more? If so, are we going to keep these focused on the use of the pen tool or just as random additional aspects? So, perhaps one such as cutting and adding an animal within your piece, or something like that.

Thanks

Personally I prefer requirements that are linked to the technique in question. Use the pen tool in three different ways or use it 5 times etc. That way the pen tool remains the star of this challenge.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (29-05-19)

Thanks

That makes sense. Perhaps having the additional requirement of using it three different ways would be a good one as I don't know what you mean by that, so it would be in keeping with exploring the tool more widely. Shall I just create the thread using the tutorial bufflover found and having that additional step if people want to meet it? Would we want to make any requirements of what people are arting for everyone to meet, or just leave it totally open other than for the pen tool to be used for at least one significant part?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    That makes sense. Perhaps having the additional requirement of using it three different ways would be a good one as I don't know what you mean by that, so it would be in keeping with exploring the tool more widely. Shall I just create the thread using the tutorial bufflover found and having that additional step if people want to meet it?
    That would be great, thanks.

Would we want to make any requirements of what people are arting for everyone to meet, or just leave it totally open other than for the pen tool to be used for at least one significant part?
    I vote for leaving it open.