Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Grab a cuppa and join our Babbington's Chat

Thanks

This is all too confusing to me.

IMO, I would love just to have one big huge thread where you can place your work any fandom shape or size and feedback is welcomed! but that's just me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,878 Times in 2,812 Posts

Oh I think that is a great idea for posting general fanart pieces produced rather than there being multiple threads. I was talking about what is happening, if anything, related to active challenges. I use the prompts to produce pieces and like to get the nudge to think of something that they give. Sure I can just look through the old challenges myself even if the forum doesn't run any kind of active challenge/prompts and just post whatever I produce, and that is what I will do if prompts stop being run. I just think it would be a shame to lose prompts from the site entirely if there is something a bit different we could do that might draw people back/in to build up an active community again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,995 Times in 984 Posts

Hmmm I agree. But I do think challenges are done, you need hosts with fun ideas and who also write feedback (*cough*which I still have not done*cough*), and to make a challenge fun you need more than one or two entries. Plus most people do not come back after the feedback is posted. So it really is just about the prompts these days already. So if we can think of an idea where we can give new prompts every other month or so but without a host I'm happy.

I'll go to the other mods with the question if it's okay if we 'clean' this section up. Besides I need the help of an admin if I want to remove subforums. ^^

Thanks

I've just finished drafting my feedback from the Shape It challenge, finally. I should get it posted today or tomorrow at the latest.

It would be a shame to lose prompts entirely. Obviously the dead threads for past challenges is a great resource for these, I would hate to lose them, I hope you were intending to keep them?? Otherwise, if we aren't going to run any challenges the most we could do is set up a thread as an ideas/suggestion bank for people to put up any prompts for others to use as inspiration if they want, but I can't see anyone bothering tbh. To my mind the only way to 'save' the fanart section is to try and get more interest which is why I thought running tutorial based challenges might get new artists joining in. But we would need to try and drum up interest, post the info on tumblr etc, just hoping people happen to come by hasn't worked. It is just such a shame to accept that this side of the site is gone, especially as it had become the most active part of the whole site since I joined way back in 2010 as the interest in the comics rapidly waned during S9. Sadly I have to wonder what is the impetus to come and post pieces here at all if there is no other activity aside from scant remaining interest in the comics and the rewatch?? Damn I feel gloomy now.

Thanks

Nothing will be deleted, the Dead Threads sub will remain in the subforum. I'm not sure what to do with the challenges, hosting one takes too much time for the few graphics which are entered. It's sad to lose that aspect of this section but it's simply no longer working. We might indeed do something with prompts and deadlines but without a host and feedback/awards? Everybody can enter a prompt when they think of something and it's all going to be on a list and every month (or 6 weeks) we do one of those prompts?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Stoney (03-07-16)

Thanks

I think that sounds like a good compromise. It still encourages and helps to prompt different pieces but takes away the hosting hassle. Prompts which link to tutorials/skills/techniques could also be options as well as throwbacks or more standard 'new' challenges. Simply submitting a prompt for use is a quick thing, and it also then doesn't restrict anyone from entering. Would we just have one suggestion thread and start new threads for the current prompt or have a running thread for responses?

This does feel like it would echo an aspect of the round robin thread. But then, although I really liked that idea, that doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

Thanks

Yes perhaps we should have an art thread where everybody can post their art and a thread where you can give feedback, discuss themes and suggest prompts. It's more clear that way.

Thanks

Hello, guys, I have finally been able to log in the BF Tumblr so I'm going to update some artworks from this community onto the Tumblr. But guys I was just wondering what would you prefer for me to do should I reblog the artwork from your Tumblr's or would you like me to submit it? I was just wondering what you guys would prefer? and Stoney I can't seem to be able to save your wallpaper for some reason.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Stoney (31-07-16)

Thanks

I prefer a reblog from my own blog if I posted it on my own blog. If it's not on my blog I'm fine with it being posted on the BF blog. Thank you for doing this

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

buffylover (31-07-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffylover View Post
    Stoney I can't seem to be able to save your wallpaper for some reason.
    I think my image hosting account blocks people saving copies. I can't remember what I did when I posted on the BF tumblr account before, I probably saved a copy to my desktop then posted it. I can try to remember how to add to the tumblr and resave so I can put it on. Was it the Masterchef one you wanted up (the Spike/Illyria one) and should I give it a week as we had agreed before to allow those you've added to have some time up??

Thanks for prodding on this, I kept thinking about the tumblr page and then forgetting again before I did anything.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (31-07-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I think my image hosting account blocks people saving copies. I can't remember what I did when I posted on the BF tumblr account before, I probably saved a copy to my desktop then posted it. I can try to remember how to add to the tumblr and resave so I can put it on. Was it the Masterchef one you wanted up (the Spike/Illyria one) and should I give it a week as we had agreed before to allow those you've added to have some time up??

Thanks for prodding on this, I kept thinking about the tumblr page and then forgetting again before I did anything.
    Yes, Stoney, it is indeed your amazing entry for the Masterchef challenge the Spike/Illyria wallpaper. Stoney, you can absolutely place your entry yourself if you wish? I really don't mind if you place your entry anytime because you were supposed to be in this update, but if you wish to upload your wallpaper next week it is really up to you I have no issues with that.

Yes, I'm trying to update the BF Tumblr every time I see new works on this wonderful Buffy forums. Myself is trying to create some fanart it would be great if we could inspire and encourage some people to create, fanart again by seeing the fanart section of the forum keep updating with amazing entries!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Stoney (31-07-16)

Thanks

I have popped it on, I think correctly, I had to go back through the instructions to do it!! It would be fabulous if the BF Tumblr could draw some more fanartists here, thank you for the reminder to post something and your continuing positive encouragement.

I liked the suggestion of, if we're not running hosted challenges any longer, having a thread where people can post ideas onto a list/discuss themes/give prompts and then have a separate thread for putting pieces on that have been produced. I'm not sure where feedback works in, I'd have thought it would probably be best alongside the posted pieces. Would the general suggestion thread run as an ongoing one that people can add into themselves? And should the general posting thread then be changed every month, every quarter or just be ongoing too? Will we continue to use throwback challenges within one of the suggestions? I know sayjay's challenge is still technically open but if we are not doing any hosted challenges following that we should think perhaps about working out these details so that we can have the replacement up soon and still be offering something if people come to look around.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (01-08-16)

Thanks

Yeah you are right, I'll clean up the section and open a thread for the challenges new-style.

Thanks

New Layout.

Take a peek of our new layout!!

If you guys donít like this new format I have the old format saved just incase.

http://buffyforums.tumblr.com/

Many Thanks, Brendan.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Clavus (16-07-17)

Thanks

I think it looks great. Love the white and grey scale and minimalist feel - it really makes the artwork pop!
    Smile, listen, agree - and then do whatever the f**k you wanted to do anyway... (Robert Downey jr.)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Clavus For This Useful Post:

buffylover (16-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clavus View Post
    I think it looks great. Love the white and grey scale and minimalist feel - it really makes the artwork pop!
    Oh my, thank you so much Clavus! I'm glad you like it means a lot I was a bit nervous about it to be truthful really a beginner at HTML .

Your work looks truly impressive within the new layout if I may say so! but then again it already looked impressive. Technically everyones work looks great on the new layout.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Clavus (16-07-17)

Thanks

Hey buffylover I really like both to be honest. I really liked the gif we had, but I also really like the grey header you've done too. The only thing I think the new possibly has against it, is that the art doesn't feel like it is taking as great a proportion of the page. That might not actually be true in a straight comparison. It could just seem so because of the large block header, different side panels and, particularly, due to the 'top' uppermost posts currently being text-based rather than art. So although the art feels less prominent on the current page, it might not always seem so (if that makes sense ).

I also saw the inspirations/resources links aren't linking anywhere, but that might just be work in progress stuff. Did we have those before? I certainly wouldn't know where to start with this kind of thing! I really like those links being clearly placed at the top of the page as menus, it helps draw focus to the navigation options and I like that it links through to the main site. It would be great if we could get more people visiting/joining here. I'd love it if the fanart section could have a breath of life to get it going again, even if it adapts to a more 'tumblr-friendly' base style.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (16-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Hey buffylover I really like both to be honest. I really liked the gif we had, but I also really like the grey header you've done too. The only thing I think the new possibly has against it, is that the art doesn't feel like it is taking as great a proportion of the page. That might not actually be true in a straight comparison. It could just seem so because of the large block header, different side panels and, particularly, due to the 'top' uppermost posts currently being text-based rather than art. So although the art feels less prominent on the current page, it might not always seem so (if that makes sense ).

I also saw the inspirations/resources links aren't linking anywhere, but that might just be work in progress stuff. Did we have those before? I certainly wouldn't know where to start with this kind of thing! I really like those links being clearly placed at the top of the page as menus, it helps draw focus to the navigation options and I like that it links through to the main site. It would be great if we could get more people visiting/joining here. I'd love it if the fanart section could have a breath of life to get it going again, even if it adapts to a more 'tumblr-friendly' base style.
    You are more than welcome Stoney to express your opinion on the matter. And I totally appreciate it.

And I agree with you that I also like both layouts also but I have only one little negative within the old theme is that it felt more user-friendly if it was someone else's Tumblr similar to my own.

So I took this new idea and worked on this a while that I wanted to try a community group feel so I got inspirations from other Buffy Tumblr communities within their Tumblr layouts. {here}, {here}<< I took upon this theme.

I also can see and know what you mean about the art not being the vocal point but personally, I think that's just because of a lot of posts that are type heavy so it's distracting the art flow.

As for the link not being available it is indeed a work in progress. And for the inspiration part, I had this idea of reblogging some peoples work who are out side of the forum and tagged them as inspirations, but everyone is welcome to do that of course so the blog would get a constant update instead of waiting for an update here on the forum.

As for the links as menus, I personally think it comes down to personal preference I really don't mind have the navigation both on the menu style or across at the top I truly don't mind.

I should really consider and discussed this first before jumping into the fray and consider other thoughts on the matter.

I have the old layout saved if other opinions wish to discuss or who are not happy with the layout.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Stoney (16-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffylover View Post
    And I agree with you that I also like both layouts also but I have only one little negative within the old theme is that it felt more user-friendly if it was someone else's Tumblr similar to my own.
    I defer totally to your experience as I don't go on tumblr and use it outside of the few times I've posted on the BF one. It does seem very likely that it is just the heavy text posts currently on our page that are distracting from the art. The two example pages you linked to that are very akin to the changes that you have made don't have that feel at all, so as more items are posted on the BF page then I'm sure that will change.

As for the link not being available it is indeed a work in progress. And for the inspiration part, I had this idea of reblogging some peoples work who are out side of the forum and tagged them as inspirations, but everyone is welcome to do that of course so the blog would get a constant update instead of waiting for an update here on the forum.

As for the links as menus, I personally think it comes down to personal preference I really don't mind have the navigation both on the menu style or across at the top I truly don't mind.
    It certainly wasn't a criticism, I appreciate the work that you have clearly put into thinking about this and then setting it up. I only mentioned the links in case it was a broken one.

Personally I think the links at the top are a great idea. It fits a lot of programme/website styles to have the top menu bar and it works well. I like the idea of linking to others under inspiration too.

Are you thinking that any challenges that are posted on the site would go on under the 'project' side section?

I should really consider and discussed this first before jumping into the fray and consider other thoughts on the matter.

I have the old layout saved if other opinions wish to discuss or who are not happy with the layout.
    I'm really happy with either and, as I said, I totally defer to your experience in using tumblr and finding out what works better and is more user-friendly. It's great you have time you are happy to put towards considering ways to draw more people to the things that we are doing here.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (16-07-17)

Thanks

Stoney, I truly thank you for your thoughts on the new layout! we should see want it looks like within a month period so then we can decide on another theme.

And yes the side section is for promotion for new upcoming challenges in the near future and also I have this idea about having a 'art of the month' choosing something out side of the forum?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Stoney (17-07-17)