Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Grab a cuppa and join our Babbington's Chat

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,242 Posts

Default Grab a cuppa and join our Babbington's Chat

Welcome in the official art chat thread. The credit for the amazing title goes to Stoney.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    "Grab a cuppa and join our Babbington's Chat" - which tickled me as another place known for artists meeting up (tea room in Rome in case you haven't heard of it, although might have been primarily writers in the good old days, not sure) but they have the cat logo and obviously in french....

In this thread you can chat with other fanartists (and lurkers, feel free to join the chat!) about all sorts of things. Share inspiring art, tips and resources. Debate about the new trends you see on Tumblr and brag about your newest stuff if you feel like it. Non-fanart talk is welcome as well but try to remember that this is a fanart section and the post count is on. When you want to talk a lot about a certain show we've better sections for that. ^^

Be nice to eachother and enjoy!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (27-02-16),Ehlwyen (18-01-15),Mara (17-01-15),Stoney (17-01-15)

Thanks

Fine I'll start then. I like this thread

So, why do you think no one gives feedback in the battles? Should we make the battles more accessible to others? I remember there used to be polls at the end of each battle people could vote for their favorite piece. There was feedback back then. I miss battle feedback. Just my random thoughts on the art section these days. But seriously my hat is off to the mods because you guys are doing such a great job with dare I say it? saving this section. Seriously I love the new changes I am not sure they work (but I have been away for month so you know...) but I love them.

In other news I completely forgot how to blend or work with screencaps I am trying to do both right now and laughing at how weird it looks

Ok so that is my contribution to the random chat thing
    Last edited by Mara; 17-01-15 at 06:38 PM.
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:

Ehlwyen (18-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,590 Times in 5,182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    The credit for the amazing title goes to Stoney.
    Somewhat generous! I benefited by being the only one to give suggestions, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    So, why do you think no one gives feedback in the battles?
    I didn't realise you could tbh. I suppose it would feel a bit like interrupting anyway unless it was at the end, that would definitely be better. I think the feedback on the general threads and from other entrants to a challenge tend to focus on what people like about other people's art. I'm not sure how easy it would be to break people out of that. I actually like that the feedback in the challenges from the host and what is said between the people in a battle doesn't only do the positive but gives opinions on what the person feels doesn't work too. Outside of being in those roles though I don't think people want to look like they have voiced up to criticise. Perhaps people who are happy to hear both sides could actually say they want feedback that says what people like the most and least to encourage people to do both?

I really like the idea of a poll at the end of a battle. Did it used to be an overall favourite or a favourite for each competitor?

I spent a good few hours yesterday going through BtVS screencaps trying to get Willow shots that I might be able to use for a challenge entry and was surprised at how few 'great' shots there are of her. I don't mean the screencap quality, although of course there is always that issue, I mean of her specifically. I always think of AH as being more photogenic than my search seemed to show her to be!!
    Last edited by Stoney; 17-01-15 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 606 Posts

I suppose I don't give feedback because I don't feel like I have the right to.

I mentioned something similar when I was attempting to give feedback along with my awards on my most recent challenge. I don't consider myself a good artist, I never have, though I enjoy it so much that I carry on regardless. But I'm well aware that everyone here is SO much better than I am, so what right do I have to tell people what I don't like? Or to tell someone what to change to make something they've spent hours on better? None. I haven't got a leg to stand on.

And I can understand why people don't like feedback - especially from people like me, so I just...don't bother with any of it. I'd rather make someone something pretty for entering my challenges, something that they can keep, rather than embarrassing myself by telling Nina or Smth_Blue that I don't like the color of their text, lol.
    Para Bellum| Live Journal | Tumblr | Resources

Si vis pacem, para bellum

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

buffylover (17-01-15),HisMRS (27-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 355 Posts

I think the idea for feedback is that we're supposed to take it as criticism - constructive or not - rather than just giving our opinions. Feedback should be saying whatever the heck you want - and it should be encouraged that the feedback be constructive and/or helpful in some way if you do not like something the artists did. There are things that all of you can do that I sure as shit cannot do, and it makes me angry and jealous in petty ways, but then a lot of people would choose the color blue with their font in a wallpaper, where I would have chosen green because I just see it differently.

So false, Lyri, FALSE! You do have a leg to stand on, you get on that leg right this second!

On that note, we should totally bring back the polls! I LOVED THE POLLS! Especially for people who wanted to give feedback or say, "You go!" but didn't post anything. The polls were usually the ones where you can pick as many as you want and then cast your vote. It was a fun way to get others involved past the two people battling. Let's bring back the polls!

I just recently learned how to make gifs and I'm going through my inevitable self-loathing phase with them. THOSE ARE REALLY HARD. And I don't have photoshop and I don't think Paint Shop Pro has anything past their cheesy GIF Wizard thing to make actual gifs so I'm having to edit every single image separately because Gimp is confusing and I'm just in a spiral of art-angst right now. ART ANGST.

And I really need to get my butt moving on my battle entry for Lyri... which I'll go work on right now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bre For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (27-01-15)

Thanks

Well first off I am one to talk I mean there are two battles going on that I am not in and I am feedbacking them? No. I guess I just wrote the first thing that came to mind because speaking only for myself without the feedback from other members it feels a bit like you are alone in there of course there is your battle partner *aggressively hugs her battle partners*but it would be nice to feel more of a sense of community I guess within the battle threads if that makes sense.

Bre Jesus Christ post that gif set in here and watch people drool on it if you don't believe me it is gorgeous ok especially for a first try!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:

Bre (17-01-15)

Thanks

I don't know, I think that it is just nice to get people's opinions and I don't think you have to be overall better than someone else to do that or for it to be appreciated. I can't give thoughts really on technical aspects, I don't 'see' or understand a lot of what the techniques and effects people use are. I'm trying to soak it in but it is hard to work out what people are talking about quite often because they recognise things have been used that just don't register with me. But I don't feel my less experienced point of view means I can't feel that something like text colour doesn't work for me. I think there are elements that objectively make a piece good or not for sure, but the subjective is interesting too. I think that is what is great about art, that you can have a whole variety of levels of opinions coming from varying points of view/experience/knowledge and it be interesting to hear them all. Jointly I would have thought it creates more constructive feedback.

For self improvement I certainly want to hear what people think was wrong as well as right. Particularly if there are places given in a challenge because the flip side is when you have spent time trying to do your best/get it right, it is nice to know what didn't work from the judges pov, however subjectively based it might be. I think people generally expect to hear both good/bad when they enter challenges/battles, that is the impression I get anyway. But I can definitely see the argument for people saying in the general threads if they want good/bad feedback, so that people can just share their art without having to take opinions if they don't want to.

Thanks

That will come with experience I think Stoney and doing a lot of boring looking 'what does this button do?' types of tutorials at least that is how I learned also just trying to take other people's art apart in your head like ask yourself how would I make this particular piece? I think we are going towards a pretty nice balance with the feedback where you know that in battles/challenges you are going to get it and you are required to give it and then the rest of the art forum is feedback neutral and I agree with you it is a good thing we need to have space for people who just want to post art but also for feedback crazies like me

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:

Stoney (17-01-15)

Thanks

Isn't the real 'problem' that most people only want to post their art and enter in challenges but not be very active otherwise? Looking at the closed challenges there are always more awards and feedback than people who thank the host. And it are always the same few people who do come back to thank the host and/or give a reaction. It's a pity but at the same time most people are busy and it's nice that people still want to share their art with us even if they have little time to hang around. So asking for feedback in a battle only two people participate in is perhaps too much to ask. But bringing back the poll is perhaps a good idea, fanartists seem to like voting. I'll add polls when battles end. (If I forget please remind me. ^^)

About giving feedback, please give it! The weight of your opinion does not depend on the quality of your fanart. Even lurkers who never touched photoshop can help an experienced fanartist by pointing out faults. Or saying what they really like about a wallpaper. And you learn a lot when you look closely at art made by others. When you have to give some real feedback you look much longer at a wallpaper then when you just open it, decide that it's pretty or not and move on. And when a wallpaper is fantastic... say that. You don't have to make up faults if those are not there. But if there is something you don't like you can say it as well. People who post in those threads want feedback and hear your opinion. Counting the amount of 'thanks' you get for a wallpaper is not enough feedback to learn and improve.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (27-01-15),Mara (17-01-15),Stoney (17-01-15)

Thanks

I've never taken part in a battle that had a poll at the end - I would be interested in seeing that come back, if for no other reason than, as people have said, to see what people like about art. Seeing what comes top in a poll tells you what people look for and makes you think differently.

I admit, I've been fairly lax recently on the art front. I've been concentrating - obsessed might be a better word, lol - on icons lately, which people usually see as being quick and easy (they're not, lol) but 'real' art takes a lot more time to get to the final outcome, and icons just don't play a big part in challenges like this. But I LOVE making icons, especially 'challenging' themes, like making 5 different icons from one image. It's so great to see the results of something like that, especially if everyone in the challenge has to work from the same base image. (Hmm, no one steal that idea, I might use that, lol)

That's why I like challenges - because it forces me to sit down and make something, even if I can't find the time to give feedback.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (27-01-15),Stoney (18-01-15)

Thanks

I would love the polls back exactly for that reason although I am trying to come to a point where my opinion about my art also matters so if I like something then that actually should count for something Making my art for me as well as others I guess. it is so easy to loose track and just call all your creative efforts ugly and ten no amount of negative or positive feedback changes your attitude towards your art. It would be nice to land in a place where I am kinda happy and can actually look at the positive feedback and go hey that's nice and not just focus on 'omg that one person thought I sshould use green instead of purple this wall is doomed doomed!'

Lyri are you posting these icons here? I'd love to see some *cough in my challenge cough*

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:

Stoney (18-01-15)

Thanks

Didn't we've a general icon thread? I'll check the archive and bring it back. If it's not there I'll start a new one. It would be a pity if we can't see the pretty icons people make. ^^

----edit----

It's back and in need of some new icons. The last post was in 2010.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (27-01-15)

Thanks

I will just continue babbling then... Feel free to throw things

I seriously lost all my ability to blend I am looking at screencaps and I literally have no idea what to even do with them. But I really want to do something with them. Funny how much tumblr changed the way I look at art and making art. In unrelated news chocolate...I have it

Thanks

I'm rubbish at NOT blending. For one of our challenges once, Bre asked me not to blend and it was seriously one of the worst things ever, lol. It took me so long to actually get the piece the way I wanted it and I hated the outcome, but it was a fun exercise in not always relying on masks or the eraser.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyri For This Useful Post:

Bre (19-01-15),HisMRS (27-01-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    In unrelated news chocolate...I have it
    I ran out.

I'm only just discovering brushes and I'm having to make myself use them. I know it will just be a matter of practice/experience but I find it really irritating that I can't tell what effect they are going to have by looking at the squiggly amoeba shape they show as. I'm not even vaguely willing to step forth and try to create any because they would just be hunky blobs. When/if I ever figure out how to use the damned things I will be happy. Well, happier, I still have no chocolate.

Thanks

Regarding Feedback:

I always loved getting feeback, good or bad, for my work. I lived for it, and honestly, the only reason I ever posted my work here. Back in the day, I had a website, a livejournal, a deviantart account... All places I could post my art and share it with other people. Here is where I got more than just "ooh! pretty!" and it really helped me see my work through other eyes, see the things that I don't. I am very critical of my work, I never know if something I do REALLY works and getting honest feedback is the only way for me to get better or in other cases, be happy with what I made.

Some people, from personal experience, less enjoy that honest critique, which is a shame. Anyone with eyes can have a say about colors schemes, compositions, typography and filters. It's just a matter of how you say it.
    My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

Thanks

I've always issues with deciding how honest I should be. You help nobody with critique that hurts the fanartist. On the other side it's pointless to lie about what you think of art. It doesn't help that I'm Dutch. We are a blunt and rude bunch apparently. So it's the trick to find the tone that is a bit less brute than the one I'm familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyri View Post
    I'm rubbish at NOT blending. For one of our challenges once, Bre asked me not to blend and it was seriously one of the worst things ever, lol. It took me so long to actually get the piece the way I wanted it and I hated the outcome, but it was a fun exercise in not always relying on masks or the eraser.
    I'm the opposite; blending make me nervous. It's so easy to be sloppy when you blend. Before you know it you miss some spots or remove too much. And I always notice that when it's done and too late to change. It's one of the reasons why I stay away from screencaps when I can.

Stoney I've the exact same problem. It doesn't help that I save my brushes under their original names. So there is usually some cryptic name for the whole brushset and I always forget which brushes I can find in that set. So I got lazy and use the same three sets over and over. ^^ That's usually a problem with me in general; I always use the same textures, brushes and gradients. It's pretty bad.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (27-01-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    I've always issues with deciding how honest I should be. You help nobody with critique that hurts the fanartist. On the other side it's pointless to lie about what you think of art. It doesn't help that I'm Dutch. We are a blunt and rude bunch apparently. So it's the trick to find the tone that is a bit less brute than the one I'm familiar with.
    When giving feedback, I try to be honest but I even it out with complimenting and emphasizing the things that did work for me. If the artist is the least bit open minded about hearing actual feedback and wants to get better, it shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, I see no point in taking the time writing something that would end up being lip service.

If someone offers up something that is honest but not in a malicious way, then I'm all up for it. If he's just being mean, well, that's a whole other issue.
    My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

Thanks

I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times, I rarely ever notice people's english. Most of the time I wouldn't know from reading what is written who was a native speaker and who wasn't. But I'm sure it is hard when it isn't your first language, and tone does matter, but the tone of the community guides a lot of that I think. I do think people generally know that others are just trying to give a perspective to consider, to be helpful and if people give reasons/explanations then that helps to understand their pov, even if you end up not agreeing. I think it is nice to say what you like most or what works for you too if you are going to give a criticism, just to balance it a bit, alhough that needs to be genuine too. Even if I felt a bit sore about a comment I would just assume it wasn't meant in a malicious way, that's just not the way we roll on BF fanart.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Josh (19-01-15)

Thanks

To me personally I consider it a really great compliment when someone who is honest in their feedback likes something I made I think it means more coming from someone who is not afraid to point out mistakes in your work as well. I mean when someone who doesn't usually like your work/ points out mistakes in your work often because their skills re just that good compliments it to me it means a great deal.

But I do understand the pressure of wanting to sound not that mean. I am sarcastic and really blunt in daily life so I am constantly reminding myself to tone it down when I am on here especially when giving feedback. But I do think as a community this place is very welcoming and accepting which is helpful when giving negative feedback.