Thread: Battle 93:Mara vs. Destiny

Thanks

Default Battle 93:Mara vs. Destiny

FINALLY! After month of preparation, my internet breaking down, Destiny’s computer breaking down, my photoshop breaking down....we are finally here with battle #1 out of what is hopefully going to be 2 battles (or 3 battles or...ok kidding)

We are back! Yey!

The lovely Destiny agreed to do another battle with me and I cannot be more excited!

So because we are both a bit rusty with the photoshop thing this battle is going to be quick. We both want to brush up on our skills before diving into the second battle. (which will happen Destiny you can’t just tell me 'hey let’s do a 12 rounds Snape battle' and then NOT DO IT. I HAVE FEELINGS! )

Anyway....

For our warm up battle we decided to go for the Hunger Games. We both love the books so the choice was simple. To make the ‘favourites’ theme more interesting all entries are going to be 500x700. Yes we are attempting tumblr art. Scary stuff as I never make Tumblr art intentionally. So for the next six rounds tumbr art and favourites it is.

Round 1&2: Favourite character
    Round 3&4: Favourite book
    Round 5&6: Favourite relationship

All art is tumblr art which is pretty much the only rule. Who else is excited?

I am!

So let the games begin and may the odds be ever in your favour...

Round 1: Effie
    Requirement: use big letters

credits: this tut google

So I love Peeta.

But because I know you love Peeta too and this is supposed to be a battle and challenging I decided to go outside the box and art my second favourite character Effie Trinket. I think Effie is wonderful in the movies but she really shines in the books. She is such a good representation and reminder of the fact that hey the world is not black and white. She believes in these games and in this world with the naïveté of someone who doesn’t know better and never wanted to know better. And then throughout the books she has one of the most moving arcs because we witness her eyes opening. To me that is very powerful and she is the character that really took me for a ride. I hated her when Katniss hated her and she grew on me in the same way she grew on Katniss. So I love her she is wonderful fun and in the movies she is played by a great actress making her just joy.

The wall (tumblr thing? What are we calling this?) is insane. I wanted to make something completely insane colour and composition wise because I think it fits with Effie and her crazy capitol fashion. But also it fits her colourful personality. I am quite happy with this despite losing the big letters in all the craziness. Hope you like it.

Requirement: I went crazy with the colours you are going to tone it down. I want all the colours to be in the same group so if you choose purple then only different shades of purple are allowed. I am going to allow skin colour obviously but the rest of the colouring needs to be build out of one colour.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mara; 16-01-15 at 04:03 PM.
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:

Bre (16-01-15),Destiny (01-02-15),HisMRS (02-02-15),Nina (16-01-15),Smth_Blue (17-01-15),Stoney (01-02-15),Zugma (20-01-15)

Thanks

Round 2 - Favourite character

500x700px
    credits: zugma, Midnight Road, google.com, Daydreaming, Mara

Feedback!
    Okay first of all I love that you chose Effie, because I really do love her as well. It's a bit shame that her character isn't getting all that much space in the movies, because it really loses the depth pf the character's development and she has gone such a long way in the books. She actually really stops being the comical silly character and becomes someone that you can relate to and she goes a great deal to show that even the people in the Capitol aren't just black and white. I think the colours you chose are great for the bubbly and larger than life personality that she has at the beginning and even before I registered her image in there, I knew it must've been her, because it just fitted perfectly I love the choice of the bold white vector-like texture, because it reminds of the that pop-arty kind of style that again, just goes so well with the character, it's a bit quirky and definitely very bold It's true that the bold letters there do get a bit lost, but I don't really mind, because I just like the style of the whole thing too much I also really love how you made the colouring go on from the background onto the image of Effie, it looks like she really blends in nicely and the canvas just flows very nicely from all of the corners

Entry / Survive
    Alright, so I went with Finnick, because although I love Peeta, it did seem like a bit of a cliché and too much of an obvious choice I went through a bunch of versions with this one until I ended up here, I'm struggling with photoshop after all this time and so I sort of ended up somewhere very unexpected, but it worked out at the end I hope I managed to fulfill the requirement of one-tone colouring, I left everything in black and white and then just gave it a blueish tint, because I wanted to tie it with the whole Finnick-water connection.

Oh and my requirement for your next round is that you can't use any faces. They can be looking away, cut away or obstructed in some way, but I don't want to see any clear shots of faces
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In the end, we all are who we are, no matter how much we may appear to have changed.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Destiny For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (02-02-15),Mara (01-02-15),Nina (01-02-15),Stoney (01-02-15),Zugma (02-02-15)

Thanks

OH no what is THIS? Could it BE????

Yeah well let me make this an announcement to whoever is following this battle Destiny knows why I am this late.

It is ironic because we started this thinking let’s see how it goes if this goes well we will do the battle that we really want to do. This is not going well...we are still planning another battle. In other words this Destiny v Mara thread is going to be a permanent fixture for a while.

Ok so first off feedback

I love that you went for Finnick I think he is such a wonderful character and he does get overlooked a bit because of the main three. Love how far you went with the colour requirement. Everything is blue! I think it fits his character really well and it makes the piece unique. I really like what you did with the text the font is really cool and the added fire even if it is blue works really well I think. I love the upper picture of him and the way they fire thing cuts off his face it makes him look really cool and somehow sad at the same time. The added numbers (is that stock or texture?) really work well to give the piece some sort of border and I think they also fit with the character. Love love love the light you managed to make it so bright and focused I think it is my favourite thing in the work. The only problem I am having is that to me the piece feels a bit crowded, some more negative space would have been great and I am not a fan of the way that bulls eye cuts trough Finnicks face it seems like he is wearing a weirds sort of mask thing. But those are minor complaints because I am picky. Overall I really like what you did especially how you managed to infuse this little piece of art with your own style despite not working with tumblr art a lot.

Round 3: Mockingjay

credits: google images, Sia, sweet taste of bitter

Mockingjay is my favourite book out of the three because it goes so deep into Katniss’s inner world and shows the destruction of her psyche because of what she is faced with during the war. I love that the Hunger Games is not one of those YA trilogies where the hero wins and the bad guy dies crying in tears. The war actually destroys Katniss leaving her traumatised for the rest of her life as a war should do to a person. I think it was a very brave decision to go there and show that considering that the book is meant for young adults and is usually mentioned in one breath with Harry Potter. HP is a children’s book to me Hunger Games are not books for children and the main reason for that is Mockingjay. It reads like a open wound because as a reader you are there in Katniss’s head all the time watching her struggle with the usual love triangle but also watching her struggle with this horrific war and the place she has been made to take in this battle. I love that she is vulnerable, I love that she is needy I love the moments in the book where you want to slap her. I think she is that Mockingjay is the book that shows Katniss as her most human self and the fact that the war destroys this human girl is heart-breaking and just makes the book completely perfect.

So I went with the idea of that Katniss no longer able to be in the woods that she loves, no longer able to find sanity, traumatized by what the war and both sides fighting it have done to her. I have this deep all-consuming obsession with Sia right now so I used her lyrics to show the devastation in Katniss and the requirement worked out because I think it fits that Katniss should be faceless, a mere symbol and no longer a person. Your piece is in there I used it as lighting and colouring and I used the bird like dark specks on the right that’s your piece as well.

I am sorry that this took so long and then I come out with something that looks like it took me 15 minutes (it did not trust me) but I kind of like what I have right now and this might give us the opportunity to go on with this battle (and start a next one woot)

Your requirement for next round is to make a picspam (gahaha evil laughter) at least 4 images but you can use more.

Have fun!
    Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:

HisMRS (30-04-15),Stoney (30-04-15),Zugma (30-04-15)

Thanks

Question

Okay, first of all - I am a sucker for these kind of pieces, because the text split in two just speaks to me SO MUCH. And I love the quote you used and think that it was so smart to use a picture of Katniss taken from behind, because it does so many things for the atmosphere. She's almost dehumanized this way and it adds a dark meaning to the words, it just works with them so well. Also the whole colour scheme is very clever, because to me I see a lot of warm green, which just fits with the image of Katniss and her home. I know district 12 was coal, but she spent so much time in the forest, it is so ingrained with her essence (and so important considering the relationship with her father) that it was the first thing it made me think of when I saw the piece. Also a lot of the scenes based in district 13 (that we saw in the movies) show deep green forests, so the placement just seems very natural. Contrary to that the black in her suit really breaks up the composition and brings a dynamic element (plus how amazing is that show of her with the feathers just folded at the back? she looks like she's just about getting ready to leap at someone ). The only thing that for me goes a bit against the clean finish are the arrow brushes/textures - I love the text and the way you placed it, with the line between the sentences, but there's something about the arrow elements that is a bit out of focus and although a nice effect, I think it goes a little against the way the rest of the piece is so neat and clean and really just very classically put together. But I love the line between the two sentences, it creates a little bit of a story and depth to the feel. And on a technical note - I love the way that the images have been edited to be put in the piece, because the sharpening work is spot on. All the lines and details are so crystal clear, without it being a bit too much and pixelated like it often ends up with this editing (I do speak based on personal experience I love my Sharpen filter way, way too much for my own good ). Also I think you've managed to achieve a nice level of a sharp look in both the images, so they do look and feel very much connected, not just two separate things put together. It is the simplicity and the implication in the text that make it for me, because the words kind of echo in your head and make you interpret them with so many different things and scenes from the book, so the overall effect is very striking.
    And to top the rambling off - I love Mockingjay for exactly what you described! I forced my bf to read the books and while he was reading the 3rd one, he kept moaning about all the "psyche play" and how so much of the plot was happening in her head. It shocked me because I loved those parts so much, it made the story so real for me. I mean who could go so through much and end up completely sane and unfazed at the end?

And for my round - voilá!

Round 4 - We do not belong to ourselves anymore

So... a few words to explain My favourite out of the three is Catching Fire (closely followed by Mockingjay ), for a number of reasons. I remember reading the book and being completely lost in it, the shock of Katniss having to return to the Games and not believing to the last second that it really was going to happen. The plot just completely swallowed me whole and I loved every single thing about the way things went. We got to meet a lot of the other tributes and I loved the way the relationship between Katniss and Peeta developed, how close they were getting and how it felt so natural and so right. Another thing for me was the introduction of Finnick, who is a character that I loved most throughout the series afterwards. In many ways he and Katniss were so alike and I loved how these little things resurfaced during their time in the arena. They are so different from each other and yet they both do have very similar darkness inside and although I couldn't imagine them as a couple, I did love the friendship between them and the analogies between him, a flamboyant public figure and her, awkward and generally not perceived as a warm or charming kind of person. To go along with this, I wanted the colour scheme to be more centered toward cold colours, because their pasts and lives in general have not been very happy or warm, and the things they shared did not have a happy meaning to them. Plus blueish tint is somehow fixed in my head when it comes to Finnick and sometimes I can't control myself
    For me a lot of the similarities and things in common between them did happen in the arena and I wanted to choose images that would sort of convey the things they had in common, the parallels between the two lives. On another note - I did choose about 5000 screencaps that I wanted to use and until now had no idea how terribly difficult picspams were. Because it is technically a simple thing, but deciding on the composition definitely IS NOT. I really had about 15 versions of this and had no idea how the hell to choose one But I definitely did have fun while trying this out and for that I thank you It was such a different and new thing for me to do!
    And lastly for your requirement - for the last round and your piece, I would like you to use at least 3 textures from the amazing Wicked Fate! You can use as many as 3 or more, but it has to be at least three. I can't wait what you'll come up with!
    In the end, we all are who we are, no matter how much we may appear to have changed.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destiny For This Useful Post:

Mara (13-12-15),Nina (29-12-15)