Thread: Image hosting

Thanks
    Thanked 12,979 Times in 5,395 Posts

Default Image hosting

Hiya. After wondering what I was doing wrong and spending a frustrating amount of time trying to rectify why my most recent challenge entry wouldn't appear full size through my links, I've found that photobucket aren't displaying original sizes anymore, just 1024 x 768. So I wondered where else people upload their images so that I can link from somewhere that doesn't restrict displaying the original files like that. It probably comes as no surprise I'm hoping for reliable and free!! Where do you recommend?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,268 Posts

I usually use Imagebam for uploading wallpapers. It's free, they make a tumbnail and they never resize the image so I like it. ^^ For smaller graphics which don't need tumbnails I use Imgur usually.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (06-06-15),HisMRS (10-11-14),Stoney (09-11-14)

Thanks

I've used imageshack.us in the past its free and you can create an account (before it was just upload stuff without an account but last time I went on it was much better) But if you want security and ease your best of getting your own hosting account but you have to weigh the cost against the need for it. You could always try Dropbox. Dropbox is great!
    Last edited by Demetreas; 09-11-14 at 01:50 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demetreas For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (06-06-15),Stoney (09-11-14)

Thanks

Arghhh Photobucket has let me down so much! I've been using it for years and they've made changes to it that are really not for the better. I have been thinking about moving my stuff too for the exact same reason as you've said. Looking at what most of the artists here use (that don't have their own site) I was thinking of Imagebam but the ads that pop-up when I look at other people's art makes me nervous. Smth_Blue uses Flikr, but I've never used it so not sure if it's free or anything.

I have a Deviant Art account which is free and doesn't resize or anything, but there's a higher chance of your stuff getting stolen from there I believe (it's never happened to me though).

Anyone else got any other suggestions?

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ciderdrinker For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (06-06-15),Demetreas (09-11-14),Stoney (10-11-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,268 Posts

Download Adblock for your browser and you have to deal with ads no longer (not with imagebam but also youtube will be ad free by example). ^^ And if you want to support vloggers (by example) you can always turn adblock off for a certain site. I never see any ads when I use imagebam; I didn't even know it was a problem for others. I'm sorry.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

ciderdrinker (09-11-14),cil_domney (06-06-15),Stoney (09-11-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 340 Posts

imgbox.com is good too, I think.

follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jenni Lou For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (06-06-15),Demetreas (09-11-14),HisMRS (10-11-14),Stoney (09-11-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ciderdrinker View Post
    Smth_Blue uses Flikr, but I've never used it so not sure if it's free or anything.

I have a Deviant Art account which is free and doesn't resize or anything, but there's a higher chance of your stuff getting stolen from there I believe (it's never happened to me though).
    Flickr is good nice and simple but like deviantart another good one they are sharing 'social' platforms the whole point is to share art which is partly why I don't like them they are so vast and it's so much work to get in the right groups etc to showcase work but if you just want it for image hosting both these sites are easy to use and free.

As for stealing thing it doesn't matter where you put things devientart, photo bucket, here! people can find things and if someone want to steal it there ist much anyone can do about it. I take the live and let live stance on it and let it go.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demetreas For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (06-06-15),Stoney (09-11-14)

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I spent the day creating accounts on many of the different sites suggested and 'testing' image uploads and viewing and kept finding frustrations. It makes me feel old how much effort it all feels and I dimly remember when all of this seemed so intuitive!! So, in the end I decided to give in and have paid for an upgrade on SlickPic to allow for original images and greater controls in what (I think) is a straightforward enough system. I suppose I get a year to decide if it was worth it!! But I've replaced the link on my last challenge entry and I'm a lot happier that it can be viewed a decent size, and even full screen, really easily now.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (06-06-15),HisMRS (10-11-14),Nina (10-11-14)

Thanks

Actually, photobucket still uploads your pieces over 1024x728, you just have to click on the zoom icon to have it in actual size. But I admit I'm always stressed when entering a challenge that the host wouldn't know that and just judge my piece in poor quality

Thanks

They are changing it although I'm not clear if that is rolling out to everyone, new/existing, eventually or not. If you go to your upload options where it at the moment says it 1024 x 768 you will have, I assume, the box ticked to display linked photos at original size. If you hover over that option it says "This option will soon be removed. Click here for more information. If you choose to turn off this option, you will not be able to turn it back on." When I started having problems I tried to 'click here' for more info and was told I wasn't authorised to access it! In their uploading information it says it is an option that is no longer available to new users. Now I did/do have it selected and never turned it off, but it has suddenly become temperamental. That last challenge link I did just wouldn't show properly, despite me having done nothing different to normal and clicking the zoom etc. It zoomed, just not to the full size and it just wouldn't. I don't know that the two things are related but I am assuming they are and I found it just too unreliable and frustrating.

I will still keep my photobucket account for loading comic previews etc rather than cluttering up my other image hosting, and it works better for gifs (the SlickPic loads the gifs but only shows them animated where you post them, it appears as a still image in my own gallery). But the quality of the view it first links to on SlickPic is just a totally different standard and I think it is really clear that it can be put onto the full screen view too. The text on the entry I have just done in the Add Effects challenge just couldn't be seen properly how photobucket were showing it which was what finally made me so irritated by it.
    Last edited by Stoney; 10-11-14 at 04:44 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (06-06-15)

Sunnydale High Student Cordelia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Hiya. After wondering what I was doing wrong and spending a frustrating amount of time trying to rectify why my most recent challenge entry wouldn't appear full size through my links, I've found that photobucket aren't displaying original sizes anymore, just 1024 x 768. So I wondered where else people upload their images so that I can link from somewhere that doesn't restrict displaying the original files like that. It probably comes as no surprise I'm hoping for reliable and free!! Where do you recommend?
    Photobucket can be a pain, personally I started growing annoyed with how moving an image between albums would break the link and how a website I once used several years ago would only accept links from the main album. So I switched to Tinypic which has none of those restrictions and smaller, cleaner links.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cordelia For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (06-06-15),Stoney (28-12-14)

Thanks

I've never heard of Tinypic. I have a paid for hosting service now with Slickpic for my fanart pieces but I still use photobucket for posting links to comic preview pages and the like so I may have a look at this and see if it is better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 491 Posts

I put everything on my own hosted website these days. I got sick of all the ups and downs of Photobucket and couldn't be bothered to look for another server.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to HisMRS For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (06-06-15)